Melbourne Football

Jw1739 & King of hearts birthday round, 6th January, 7:50 KO

kingofhearts

Wellington will probably expect us to make the running, which if they do, it will be a horrible spectacle. Not sure if Burns is in, but last week Nix looked toothless in attack, with Krishna looking very rusty.

On the back of that anything less than a win will be a disaster. I’m predicting a 1-0 victory.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

You staying positive didn't last long, did it?

IMO crucial match. Home against the bottom side. Then we have to back up on Tuesday in Perth, and then next Sunday in Gosford (FMD, FFA scheduling leaves a lot to be desired).

Anything but a win will be a disaster.

Yes I know, I had a momentary lapse probably caused by being a Heart/City supporter that carries with it the weight of negative expectation based on the team’s proven track record of stuffing things up :droy:

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

We are playing the bottom team in the competition on a very hot day. we must have close to a 50% chance of winning or drawing this match. I'm even driving 320km in the heat for this one just so I can say that I saw us win one game for my 5 game 17/18 season ticket 

Good on you mate! 

2 hours ago, neio said:

Wellington didn't look like they wanted to score last week, and I imagine it will be the same this week. No need for 2 defensive midfielders

Try and put this to bed early 

To be fair, now they have Nathan Burns who makes a huge difference. 

See this one being a 1-1 draw tbh. Ross with a pen and Burns with a late equaliser.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:20 PM, Embee said:

On the contrary, most people aren't nearly harsh enough on Fitzy in my opinion. He had a good start (as did Kamau I might add) and has been very poor since the 5th or 6th game. In the inverse to guys like Malik, La Rocca and Muscat, Fitzy is not held accountable by the fans for any of his bad games and is continually showered with praise regardless of performance. If Malik has been mediocre Fitzy has been flat out bad.

Muscat is a better defender than Atkinson and we've looked leaky the last few weeks. I'd rather see Atkinson get a chance to play on the wing as his attacking play has been excellent and then use Vidosic on the other wing to replace Kamau.

As the official head of the Fitzy circle jerk club, he does not get as harshly criticized as other players you have mentioned.  In saying that,  he is still our most dangerous and effective winger imo,  and as @Niko alluded too he is still very much involved in many of our goals. To not start him is harsh but I'll agree he hasn't been playing to his usual lofty standards. 

Atkinson has had two games so far,  and barring last game I thought he was quite good defensively in the derby,  and average at the best last game.  I see no need to move him out for muscat, who is a walking red card every game because he is just past it.  He's just two slow and too much of a knucklehead to trust on the pitch again,  how many reds has he got this season? 2 or 3? Him and Malik are just walking cards. 

5 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

As the official head of the Fitzy circle jerk club, he does not get as harshly criticized as other players you have mentioned.  In saying that,  he is still our most dangerous and effective winger imo,  and as @Niko alluded too he is still very much involved in many of our goals. To not start him is harsh but I'll agree he hasn't been playing to his usual lofty standards. 

Atkinson has had two games so far,  and barring last game I thought he was quite good defensively in the derby,  and average at the best last game.  I see no need to move him out for muscat, who is a walking red card every game because he is just past it.  He's just two slow and too much of a knucklehead to trust on the pitch again,  how many reds has he got this season? 2 or 3? Him and Malik are just walking cards. 

Both Malik and Muscat have served two suspensions this season. Malik one straight red and one for two yellows in the same match. Muscat has one straight red and one for accumulating 5 yellows. Malik has been suspended for a total of two matches, Muscat for three.

I agree with you on Fitzy. I'd nominate him as one of the few players who most often plays at his expected level. Schenkeveld is the obvious pick in that competition, and that's probably why these two are leading the MOTM points table.

29 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

That's not a very high bar to set, unfortunately. Our wide forward/wing spots are easily the weakest in the squad and consistently have been since Novillo was at the club. Fitzy gets a number of what people would refer to as 'hockey assists' but given how flat out pathetic we've looked in the final third at times I don't find that to be a necessarily sound achievement. Kamau and Fitzy haven't lifted their weight anywhere near enough this season in my opinion and when you've got a young RB who's looked better in an offensive capacity than your winger it's an indictment on their performances I think. How many other teams in the league would Fitzy get a guaranteed start for?

I think people are incredibly harsh on Muscat. I'll pay the discipline issue, but he's better defensively than people will give him credit for and he's certainly in front of Atkinson in that department at this point. I think it's hard to argue that we didn't look better when he was in the side, I'm not necessarily putting that solely to him but I don't see any evidence that slotting him back into that position will be of any detriment to us at all, and it's more likely it could be a positive.

Regardless, I don't feel our final third players have been anywhere near effective enough for most of this season and given our current horror run I'd like to see a few changes made in that department. I'd even be willing to give Arzani a run if we slot Vidosic into the #10 role rather than the wing. If the choice was simpy Atkinson or Muscat, I'd be siding with Atkinson at this point, for the record. But I think that Atkinson can offer us more in the final third than Fitzy right now.

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Both Malik and Muscat have served two suspensions this season. Malik one straight red and one for two yellows in the same match. Muscat has one straight red and one for accumulating 5 yellows. Malik has been suspended for a total of two matches, Muscat for three.

I agree with you on Fitzy. I'd nominate him as one of the few players who most often plays at his expected level. Schenkeveld is the obvious pick in that competition, and that's probably why these two are leading the MOTM points table.

Bart is a gun, no doubt, but Fitzy's continued presence in the MOTM votes despite largely average or poor performances just serves to further highlight the bias in his favour in my mind.

Edited by Embee

Just now, n i k o said:

Bouzanis

Muscat Bort Jakobsen Jameisom 

Malik Brattan 

Vidosic

Atkinson.   Ross.      Fitzy 

Just posted same thoughts on the line up

Thank fuck Jako back at CB hope that’s his spot for the rest of the season!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rass said:

It's a good line up.

Actually agree. With 3 attacking options on the bench to chase a game and a defender for injury.  Obviously he has to make subs first but for the first time in ages we have a balanced team on the pitch and bench. 

Good lineup. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Exactly. Thank fuck. Decent line up.

Now we have a chance of playing actual football.

Well we are all assuming he will play a standard 433. I can't see anything else really with the players selected but maybe some sort of abortion like 352 but 433 we have a chance of playing. 

1 minute ago, jeffplz said:

Someone committed suicide so im stuck in my train here in Essendon. Probably wont make it for the first half along with many more fans

Fuck thats terrible. (Not so much about you but the reason your stuck).

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Well we are all assuming he will play a standard 433. I can't see anything else really with the players selected but maybe some sort of abortion like 352 but 433 we have a chance of playing. 

If we were gunna play a back 3 wouldn’t delbridge or LaRocca be in the line up ? 

Decent line up, finally a 6, 8 and 10 in midfield, two wingers and probably our best back four.  Now needs to perform.

Nice bench too. Carrusca fit and Delbridge in for La Rocca who has been dropped straight out (assuming no injury?). Interesting.

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually agree. With 3 attacking options on the bench to chase a game and a defender for injury.  Obviously he has to make subs first but for the first time in ages we have a balanced team on the pitch and bench. 

Good lineup. 

I guess the only thing I could critique is the lack of a genuine striker on the bench to cover for Ross.  But I guess we'd put one of the attacking midfielders forward, maybe play Vidosic up top with Carrusca or Budzik at 10.

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I guess the only thing I could critique is the lack of a genuine striker on the bench to cover for Ross.  But I guess we'd put one of the attacking midfielders forward, maybe play Vidosic up top with Carrusca or Budzik at 10.

True. It's so annoying with only 4 outfield players allowed on the bench. Tbf who would go as genuine 9.