Melbourne Football

Rd 13 vs WSW(away) New Years Day 7.50

neio

48 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

So that squad must mean Carusca is available but not selected.

Also Kilkenny. Also Muscat suspended for a further week.

With Adelaide and Perth both losing, this is another of these opportunities for us to get further away from them in the chasing pack with a win. A draw will put us back to 3rd, but we really need to win.

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

GAME DAY

Fire Up Farkin

Prediction: tightly fought draw. WSW have their pride on the line, and we are away.

Let's not kid ourselves. We ought to comfortably beat WSW and Wellington in our next two matches if we have any aspirations at all this season. They are 9th and 10th on the ladder.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Let's not kid ourselves. We ought to comfortably beat WSW and Wellington in our next two matches if we have any aspirations at all this season. They are 9th and 10th on the ladder.

Im not kidding myself when I agree with your premise but believe in my prediction, irrespective of the logical contradiction inherent.

Tldr: we should win this, so we probably won't. 

Would love to be proven wrong on this and the Wellington game!

Start of the season we were bucking all the statistics and trends. Since round 4, statistically we have been following our past trends. If we're to do something this season then this game would be a win. But seeing as we haven't won against wsw away there's every single chance we'll do the same tonight. This may seem glum, and I'm hoping for a win, or even draw, but there's no evidence to show we are either performing well enough currently or have the record to win this game. 

31 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

3-0 to western Sydney 

You guys are depressing me with your forecasts. If we're ever going to be successful, we have to turn around our WDL records against the other clubs, not perpetuate them. IMO the biggest change in culture we need, both on the field and in the stands, is that we need self-belief as a club rather than self-doubt. Even our PR is beginning to reflect our self-doubt - even Joyce is doing it now. He talks about our recent losses rather than saying the positives about the team he's taking to Western Sydney. Malik the same. We just don't exude confidence as a club. The biggest advantage that Sydney and Victory have over the other clubs is self-belief - even when things are going wrong for them they still believe that they can turn things around.

I'm not one for the New Year's Resolution, but we need to get exorcise the self-doubt and get positive.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You guys are depressing me with your forecasts. If we're ever going to be successful, we have to turn around our WDL records against the other clubs, not perpetuate them. IMO the biggest change in culture we need, both on the field and in the stands, is that we need self-belief as a club rather than self-doubt. Even our PR is beginning to reflect our self-doubt - even Joyce is doing it now. He talks about our recent losses rather than saying the positives about the team he's taking to Western Sydney. Malik the same. We just don't exude confidence as a club. The biggest advantage that Sydney and Victory have over the other clubs is self-belief - even when things are going wrong for them they still believe that they can turn things around.

I'm not one for the New Year's Resolution, but we need to get exorcise the self-doubt and get positive.

Jw it's not doom and gloom. Like a few on here I'm usually optimistic and give a positive outlook to things wherever I can. My post is based on evidence of past stats that say we are huge under dogs tonight. However given where the wanderers are at I'm positive that if we're going to win away against them then tonight has to be the night. 

Ok.

This is a game made for Wazza. We are away from home against a team with a new manager, he’ll bent on having his charges play a beautiful possession style football. Problem is, they are squad recruited to play on the counter and are having enormous difficulties adjusting to their new coach’s style.

Wazza on the other hand is 12 league games into his reign and now has a well drilled defensive out fit that will be extraordinary difficult to breakdown, especially by a team with the above mentioned difficulties.

Conclusion: can’t see us conceding. Can we win? We’ve been ordinary on the counter but I still think we’ll get some chances and will eventually take one.

0-1. Jacobsen 72.

why? Because he wants to shut me @kingofhearts & everybody else up.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The derby showed to me the team is out of passion. They pushed us around. No one stood up physically to them. No one seemed to burn with desire to beat them. No Kisnorbo, Cahill, Kilkenny or Sorensen type player. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the biggest change in culture we need, both on the field and in the stands, is that we need self-belief as a club rather than self-doubt. Even our PR is beginning to reflect our self-doubt - even Joyce is doing it now. He talks about our recent losses rather than saying the positives about the team he's taking to Western Sydney. Malik the same. 

I think old mate Wazza is a bit of a scholar. He has read the workings of Sun Tzu (a well known successful manager in the early CSL) and as he “knows he is strong”, he is “appearing to be weak” to his enemy. He has also instructed his pupil and vassal, one Osama Malik, to follow his lead.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Deeming said:

The derby showed to me the team is out of passion. They pushed us around. No one stood up physically to them. No one seemed to burn with desire to beat them. No Kisnorbo, Cahill, Kilkenny or Sorensen type player. 

Maybe the playing group has checked out mentally after losing faith in the coach and the likes of Cahill and Kilkenny (who do show some fight) are getting out of the club as quickly as possible.

Anyway, WSW have struggled against sides that press well or have an organised medium block. Our press is so bad that Roar and CCM can get through it easily. Wanderers should find it much easier to play out from the back against us than against Sydney or the Jets. Their midfield could have a fair bit of possession tonight.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Completely agree with this. It's too early to tell how the season is going to finish with the top 3-4 teams at this stage having the best shot at winning silverware so we're still in the mix.

No doubt we're still in the mix, the future is what you want it to be. It's over to the lads to see how badly they want to succeed.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Ok.

This is a game made for Wazza. We are away from home against a team with a new manager, he’ll bent on having his charges play a beautiful possession style football. Problem is, they are squad recruited to play on the counter and are having enormous difficulties adjusting to their new coach’s style.

Wazza on the other hand is 12 league games into his reign and now has a well drilled defensive out fit that will be extraordinary difficult to breakdown, especially by a team with the above mentioned difficulties.

Conclusion: can’t see us conceding. Can we win? We’ve been ordinary on the counter but I still think we’ll get some chances and will eventually take one.

0-1. Jacobsen 72.

why? Because he wants to shut me @kingofhearts & everybody else up.

I wish he would shut me up but after seeing the starting line up for tonight my lack of faith in him feels justified 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I wish he would shut me up but after seeing the starting line up for tonight my lack of faith in him feels justified 

It appears very much as though he's going to play that team until he's forced to change it by suspensions or injuries.

DScEIGnV4AAT3ht.jpg:large

I agree that clubs should have a useful amount of self-belief together with a positive outlook. At the same time, I see some value in identifying problems and efforts at problem-solving (but overall I agree: no need to do these things in a negative way).

WSW have lost 4 of their last 5 games by multiple games, so the coach and the players don't really have a reason to be negative  going into this match. This match is another opportunity for the team and the players to show what they can do.

Happy New Years to all of you on the opposite side of the world, even though it's almost January 2nd for you all already I guess. It's been far too long since a game was last on at a time I could actually watch it, so I've dragged myself out of bed only a few hours after getting home from a New Years' party to watch this one with you all.

Just now, haz said:

Anyone got a stream?

http://cricbox.net/bt-sport-espn-live-streaming-uk-hd-115/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Falastur said:

Happy New Years to all of you on the opposite side of the world, even though it's almost January 2nd for you all already I guess. It's been far too long since a game was last on at a time I could actually watch it, so I've dragged myself out of bed only a few hours after getting home from a New Years' party to watch this one with you all.

http://cricbox.net/bt-sport-espn-live-streaming-uk-hd-115/

CHEERS!

1 minute ago, haz said:

CHEERS!

No problem. No guarantees it doesn't start spluttering half way through the match, or that it'll be the same quality as the HD streams some people manage to sneak onto Youtube but I never seem to find, but it should be serviceable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Falastur said:

No problem. No guarantees it doesn't start spluttering half way through the match, or that it'll be the same quality as the HD streams some people manage to sneak onto Youtube but I never seem to find, but it should be serviceable.

Welcome back. Good luck staying awake brother.