Melbourne Football

Rd 13 vs WSW(away) New Years Day 7.50

neio

This is critical we get 3 points, WSW are in absolute crisis, realistically we should win 3 or 4 nil, we will probably lose though 

Team selection will again be interesting, goalkeeper spot could go either way, Mccormack will start (mauk may have to make way) and I assume we will go with the Malik/Jakobsen combo in midfield again 

22 minutes ago, neio said:

This is critical we get 3 points, WSW are in absolute crisis, realistically we should win 3 or 4 nil, we will probably lose though 

Team selection will again be interesting, goalkeeper spot could go either way, Mccormack will start (mauk may have to make way) and I assume we will go with the Malik/Jakobsen combo in midfield again 

McCormack will not play...

57 minutes ago, citymad said:

Club announcement soon

Ffs 

I will actually be pissed if Ross goes and Fornaroli is still a while off. Ross has done enough to keep us competitive this season whilst getting himself into shape. I feel like we have only just begun to see what he can bring to City. Last night he played such intelligent football both on and off the ball. His presence lifted our players and entire team. He is invaluable at the moment despite him not being a direct substitute for Fornaroli who we all miss a lot. If he is gone, sad times for our club as far as I am concerned.

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Ffs 

I will actually be pissed if Ross goes and Fornaroli is still a while off. Ross has done enough to keep us competitive this season whilst getting himself into shape. I feel like we have only just begun to see what he can bring to City. Last night he played such intelligent football both on and off the ball. His presence lifted our players and entire team. He is invaluable at the moment despite him not being a direct substitute for Fornaroli who we all miss a lot. If he is gone, sad times for our club as far as I am concerned.

After they shipped of Fernando and isolated Kilkenny and couldn't deal with Cahill I really couldn't give a flying fuck if Ross stays or not. 

We are seeing a team of sheep being built with zero character and genuine mongrel, just a bunch of yes men only worrying about getting a contract and doing what there told with no real passion for the shirt or club.

Oh by the way merry fucking Christmas. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, neio said:

Unless Villa is looking to recall him I can't see the point in releasing him, just keep him the 3 weeks until his loan runs out and then don't look to renew it if that's the way we want to go 

Agreed. My understanding is that McCormack is contracted until 23rd January. If he stays until then he can play in the next five games, and I see the next six games as making or breaking our season, so what's the point in releasing him now? Unless we have some new super-duper injury replacement striker lined up for Bruno until he returns or to fill the visa vacancy created be Brandan's departure.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

After they shipped of Fernando and isolated Kilkenny and couldn't deal with Cahill I really couldn't give a flying fuck if Ross stays or not. 

We are seeing a team of sheep being built with zero character and genuine mongrel, just a bunch of yes men only worrying about getting a contract and doing what there told with no real passion for the shirt or club.

Hmm. The disillusionment building up is palpable. Joyce was supposed to create a new culture at the club, but he seems to be continuing the process of upheaval rather than creating stability.

But I like the trumpeter and the vibe of being at the Southern End - the first season I've ever watched football from behind the goal. MrsJW likes it too, so I guess we'll be staying there.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Embee said:

@Dylan prepare the line

Alright I’ll have a crack.

melbourne city football club wish to announce that the club and Former player of the year and one of the best ball playing defensive midfielders in the Hyundai ALeague, have agreed to part ways with a mutual termination of contract.

The club acknowledges the common football truth which is dogma amoung fans that the only way ANY club can change its culture for the better is to play a drab, boring and ultra defensive Style. It is because of this we are happy to announce the signing of another centre back to play in the midfield.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

My theory behind that is Joyce can only handle yes men type players and can’t handle players who might want to express a different opinion or whom have an expressive style. This is why I fear for Bruno. 

He is a youth coach after all so it’s not all that surprising.

Oh and if we cant score from open play against the mess that is WSW... Oh boy

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

And a happy new year (of underperformance and deferral excuses)

On 25/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, neio said:

Unless Villa is looking to recall him I can't see the point in releasing him, just keep him the 3 weeks until his loan runs out and then don't look to renew it if that's the way we want to go 

True, but he's not scoring from open play, but he holds the ball up well and gets involved with link up play, I wouldn't say he has earned an extension to his loan, but since we have him I wouldn't understand cutting him loose early.

If I was Crowley I would have been pretty pissed as a third choice striker Mauk played in front of me in the role, I don't understand that decision by Joyce.

1 hour ago, moops said:

If I was Crowley I would have been pretty pissed as a third choice striker Mauk played in front of me in the role, I don't understand that decision by Joyce.

First half I reckon we played 442. Fitzy & Brucey up front, trying to deal with long balls with Mauk as a forward 6 ( can’t really call it a 10). Very strange formation with that personnel.

mauk was striker for about 5 minutes in the 2nd half until subbed.

The formation was clearly causing heaps of problems in that first half (Joyce had set up a hoof ball formation, but left out the key player, the target man) yet he did nothing, even though we stayed in the game by sheer arse. Really should have been 2 or 3 down. 

Once we went to 3 at the front Kamau went from passenger to weapon and was involved in several sharp plays. Fitzy for mine tired late in the game and really should of been subbed if we were trying to win the game.

even though we might have edged it in the second half, we were so poor in the first that you can’t say we deserved anything out of the game.

In regards To Atkinson I thought he played really well, though his positioning was not great, reflecting his experience I guess. Needs to be given a run of games now.

I though “fat boy slim” had a good game and if he had a footballer next to him in midfield perhaps things could have been different.

joyce clearly doesn’t rate Crowley, which makes his signing very strange. 

Oh I don’t understand anything Joyce does.

Edited by Shahanga

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

First half I reckon we played 442. Fitzy & Brucey up front, trying to deal with long balls with Mauk as a forward 6 ( can’t really call it a 10). Very strange formation with that personnel.

mauk was striker for about 5 minutes in the 2nd half until subbed.

The formation was clearly causing heaps of problems in that first half (Joyce had set up a hoof ball formation, but left out the key player, the target man) yet he did nothing, even though we stayed in the game by sheer arse. Really should have been 2 or 3 down. 

Once we went to 3 at the front Kamau went from passenger to weapon and was involved in several sharp plays. Fitzy for mine tired late in the game and really should of been subbed if we were trying to win the game.

even though we might have edged it in the second half, we were so poor in the first that you can’t say we deserved anything out of the game.

In regards To Atkinson I thought he played really well, though his positioning was not great, reflecting his experience I guess. Needs to be given a run of games now.

I though “fat boy slim” had a good game and if he had a footballer next to him in midfield perhaps things could have been different.

joyce clearly doesn’t rate Crowley, which makes his signing very strange. 

Oh I don’t understand anything Joyce does.

It was rather strange, without the ball we looked like you say, but sometimes a 433?

With the ball it was more 433 Mauk striker with Kamau and Fitzy wingers, but Bratten would go wide, which made Mauk drop deeper and Kamau move into the striker position.

I wouldn't be surprised if the players are making it up as they go along in attack, not a case of coaching.

I don't know much about Crowley, he's been scoring like mad in the youth league, as our only recognised striker, he must be pissed, especially only on a one year contract.

Edited by moops
  • Like 2

A contingent of RBB supporters have confronted the team and coaches at a WSW training session to discuss concerns. Apparently the end result was asking the team to put in 100% no matter what. If, and that's a big if, this has any effect on them then we may have lost that mental edge we had. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

A contingent of RBB supporters have confronted the team and coaches at a WSW training session to discuss concerns. Apparently the end result was asking the team to put in 100% no matter what. If, and that's a big if, this has any effect on them then we may have lost that mental edge we had. 

They are a shambles, one of their players admitted in the second half of their last game they ignored Gumbies instructions and just went it alone (a bit like our attack), but if we can't beat a team that has lost faith in their coach, it would be a pretty bad result.

5 minutes ago, Chris p said:

They don't mind taking our player sales revenue though unfortunately 

With no transfer fees, most of the Club revenue going back to FFA, and a salary Cap what else is there to spend money on?  All I can think of is Marquee Salary and Marketing

11 hours ago, haz said:

Depending on other results, if we lose this game (by a few goals) we could drop down to 6th

If we lose, and Adelaide win then we will drop to 5th. If we draw and Adelaide win then it will depend on the resulting goal differences as to which goes 3rd. If we draw and Adelaide don't win, then we will go back to 3rd. I don't see Perth beating Sydney by four clear goals, so for the moment the other match results won't affect us.

I am having a bit of a chuckle, Quote-- We will miss out on the ACL spot, you would have to be joking. What are we going to take to the ACL games, with what we have we would not last the first round of matches, sorry but that's the way i feel at the moment. We are adrift in a sea of uncertainty and do not have a map or compass to find our way out. I know it sounds awful but they way we are going at the moment we will b lucky to finish Sixth .I will still keep going to all the home games but those are my feelings and if it eventuates then this will be my last season as a member.

• Like 2

The team is in for Monday’s New Year’s Day clash with Western Sydney. See who’s in and who’s out of this week’s side.

With no injuries or suspensions from last week’s Christmas Derby, Warren Joyce has named a relatively unchanged squad for the clash against the Wanderers as City look to get back to winning ways.

Ross McCormack has made progress once again this week after stretching his ACL tendon the week before against Sydney. His second half cameo in the Derby showed promising signs for the Scot and may play more of a role in City’s front third.

Bruce Kamau has fully recovered from his knee knock, playing 90 minutes last week and will be eligible again this week for selection with options up front starting to become more readily available for Joyce with Nathaniel Atkinson moving his way up the ranks.

Dario Vidosic and Harrison Delbridge are still a week away from being available for selection with the January transfer window officially opening after Monday’s match. The duo will be eligible for selection for the January 6 clash with Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park.

City take on Western Sydney on Monday night at ANZ Stadium, kick-off 7.50pm. See the match live on FOX Sports 501.

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 3.Scott JAMIESON, 5.Bart SCHENKEVELD, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Nick FITZGERALD, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Braedyn CROWLEY, 13.Stefan MAUK, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 15.Denis GENREAU 18.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 25.Iacopo LA ROCCA, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Marcin BUDZINSKI, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 44.Ross McCORMACK

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 15.Denis GENREAU (promoted)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 23.Bruno FORNAROLI (ankle)