Melbourne Football

Rd 13 vs WSW(away) New Years Day 7.50

neio

we have played 180 mins against this mob this season and they are putrid. Yet we take 1 point from them.

Really starting to lose faith in Wazza, we just offer nothing with no creativity and seemingly no real clues offensively.

There is 1 good team and a lot of rubbish in this league this season, yet I am not confident of making the finals even after our start. We seem an utter rabble and it has nothing to do with talent.

Just now, Shahanga said:

When you are losing a game, creating nothing and have Budzinski on the bench, if your IQ is >75, don’t you say “get on there Son, try to get into a good position and land one of those f*ing bombs, there’s a good lad”

Thats my biggest problem with Waz is his subs, I just dont understand and cant think of a valid reason?

11 minutes ago, MXG said:

Disappointing and plenty of negative moments. BUT. If we could play the whole game as we played the second half we would have much better results. My question is WHY do we need to go 2:1 down, miss the pen before we actually start playing?

We'd have the same result, we didn't score in the second half

Positives:

I thought that we'd lose by more

Negatives:

I don't give a fuck

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well this will no doubt upset a few, but here it is.

The players have dropped their heads since Cahill got the flick

Put simply the club made the wrong choice.

Serious?! 

Nothing to do with Cahill leaving, bloke thinks he's better than he is anyway. 

More to do with Joyce making everything so sterile and controlled around the club i would think. His ideal of culture might be like the army, Sir yes sir shit! Old school people manager, 'my way or the highway'. 

I want this clown out of my club! Its like he doesnt learn game to game or the players dont understand his game plan. I havnt seen anything from Joyce that makes me think we're on the right track to win trophies. With JVS everything was working except the defence. If we sorterd that out my god what a team we would have been, shenk would have gone a long way to solving that with jako. 

Fire down farkin.

Love to be a fly on the wall in the change rooms. Morale = low. How are we going to pick ourselves up other than cut our losses and start again

Positives

First loss of the year

Jokes soothe my mental fragility and ease my PTSD after that predictable 90 minutes of shite. 

Negatives

100% loss of games this year

Edited by JMSTEP123

Tonight's result was simply down to our players being stupid. 3 games in a row we concede due to stupidity. Wazza is starting to realise our players are dumb as they really can't manage to do the simple things. 

I am looking forward to Mauk, Kamau and Arzani not being available and seeing how we line up.

For me, Jamieson, Kamau, Malik, Fitzgerald, Mauk and Brattan are all guilty of stopping forward momentum and/or not doing the job on setting up goals. Their quality is poor and we will not score enough goals. And down the other end, well I don't know what to say. Playing 4 CBs and still making ridiculous basic and idiotic errors. Don't know what else Wazza can do tbh as conceding stupid goals with 4 CBs and a defensive mindset would leave anyone scratching their heads.

So Wazza has his work cut out and big decisions need to be made as this is where managers sweat for their pay cheque.

On a side note in the post match interview when asked about another striker he had a crazy look in his eyes and said at this stage we have no spot available but you could tell there are plans.

So in summary, bad defensive errors, no midfield creative, key players turning the ball over cheaply in dangerous positions, and incompetent final third.

Not good enough City.

Joyce has NFI.  This is the best city group could come up with?  Perhaps he needs another defender or 2 to play in the midfield.

No wonder Tim farked off.

We sold our heart and soul and colors for this shit?

Bring back heart if this mob aint gonna take this league serioisly.

Edited by Rasputin

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), my venue of choice couldn't get a working broadcast for 90 minutes. Nonetheless, I saw most of the match.

I saw a team set up in a very defensive way, with a very defensive mindset. After somehow managing to go up (thanks to some individual brilliance from Atkinson), from my view the team immediately starting dropping back to the edge of their box. There was a warning shot from their Japanese player. Then a goal a minute later. Then their (ultimately decisive) goal a few moments after that. All the while Melbourne City seemed to be trying to hold on to a 1-0 lead from the 25th minute. A very negative and disappointing attitude towards playing a bottom team.

The stats bear out the team's overly-defensive approach as well. Only 44.3% possession, only 6 or 7 (unblocked) shots overall, only 6.7% of crosses successful. That's can never be good enough.

There was maybe some individual mistakes along the way in this game, such as Brattan and La Rocca being too passive with their defending for the first goal, and Atkinson being pretty out of positive and defensively mediocre for the second goal. But IMO the bigger picture is Melbourne City not controlling the game, inviting too much pressure, and ultimately playing a weak opposition into form and enabling them to push on until they put 2 goals past us.

I agree that coach's decisions have to come under a lot of scrutiny. I agree that Joyce put the team into a weak position going into this game. I fully agree that the Jakobsen-as-midfield experiment is a failure, as is the "defence-first" (or really "defence-only") approach that Joyce adopted at the start of the season. A few of these decisions worked over our first 4 games, and we picked up wins against teams that have now clearly been terrible this season such as Brisbane, Wellington, and Adelaide, and while all teams across the league were clearly yet to settle. But now I fully believed that whatever "worked" over those first 4 games is massively insufficient to guarantee Melbourne City success this season. So Jakobsen should be dropped back into defence, and another genuine midfielder must be brought into midfield (like Kilkenny or Budzinski). Melbourne City has lost 5 of their last 8 games, so really, nothing could be lost by trying two pretty obvious changes like this.

Just like Joyce's matchday decisions: what is to be lost by using more than 1 substitution when chasing the game? What is to be lost by telling a few players to bomb up-field and attack? It is obvious now that not all of Joyce's decisions are working, and he has to give up some of his fanatical defensiveness, so that the team is more balanced, and at least has some creativity and attacking prowess.

So Joyce better make some chances ASAP. Maybe he is waiting around until Fornaroli and Carrusca are fit again, and can improve the attack. Unfortunately for the club and for Joyce, the fans aren't going to wait around for a few returning players to save the team's fortunes.

Joyce alarmed by Melbourne City's lack of maturity

Matt Dorman

January 1, 2018

Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce questioned his side's mental toughness after they crumbled to a 2-1 defeat away to Western Sydney Wanderers on Monday.

Leading through Ross McCormack's 25th-minute opener, City found themselves behind shortly after the half-hour as Wanderers struck twice in two minutes.

McCormack failed to convert a penalty later in the half as the visitors' loss of concentration resulted in a third straight defeat.

"Poor decisions let [Wanderers] back in the game and gave them two opportunities from nowhere really," Joyce told Fox Sports.

"We've got to stop giving stupid goals away.

"When we're in control we tend to take our foot off the gas.

"We're not mature enough in talking and dealing and playing those situations out. They get casual at times."

With three goals from their past four games, and a reliance on McCormack to fire, Joyce admits City's problems are not confined to defence.

"We had a lot of really good opportunities where we weren't even clever enough to have a good effort on goal," he said.

"That's frustrating, disappointing. We've got to get goals from all areas of the park."

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/joyce-alarmed-melbourne-citys-lack-maturity

9 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Wazza's nationality is not the issue. Any other derogatory national epithet there and you'd be on a ban. Since you're not keen on anyone British around the club I'll do you a favour and not bother attending any more. Me and the hundreds of other British born and passionate City fans. I don't care how bloody hacked off you are with this performance (join me in that) cut out the fucking casual racism.

Wazza’s nationality is the issue. The English can’t coach

7 hours ago, playmaker said:

Tonight's result was simply down to our players being stupid. 3 games in a row we concede due to stupidity. Wazza is starting to realise our players are dumb as they really can't manage to do the simple things. 

I am looking forward to Mauk, Kamau and Arzani not being available and seeing how we line up.

For me, Jamieson, Kamau, Malik, Fitzgerald, Mauk and Brattan are all guilty of stopping forward momentum and/or not doing the job on setting up goals. Their quality is poor and we will not score enough goals. And down the other end, well I don't know what to say. Playing 4 CBs and still making ridiculous basic and idiotic errors. Don't know what else Wazza can do tbh as conceding stupid goals with 4 CBs and a defensive mindset would leave anyone scratching their heads.

So Wazza has his work cut out and big decisions need to be made as this is where managers sweat for their pay cheque.

On a side note in the post match interview when asked about another striker he had a crazy look in his eyes and said at this stage we have no spot available but you could tell there are plans.

So in summary, bad defensive errors, no midfield creative, key players turning the ball over cheaply in dangerous positions, and incompetent final third.

Not good enough City.

Interestingly you are the only one who is defending Wazza.

And your question as to what else Wazza can do? My suggestion is to resign and look for employment elsewhere.

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

We'd have the same result, we didn't score in the second half

Positives:

I thought that we'd lose by more

Negatives:

I don't give a fuck

I did not mean just this game. We tend to play better in the second half on regular base. As for this game we would not concede those 2 goals if we had payed the whole game like we did in second half.

47 minutes ago, MXG said:

I did not mean just this game. We tend to play better in the second half on regular base. As for this game we would not concede those 2 goals if we had payed the whole game like we did in second half.

We have no organised attacking plan or structure. We rarely outnumber the defending players during an attack. Our crossing is poor, McCormack's runs are often ignored. We are poorly positioned to win back the ball if we lose possession in our attacking third

FMD I've tried to stay positive but there are no positives, zilch from this game. None.

Joyce can lament the poor performance and blame the players like he has in the Matt Dorman article but he should be shining the fcuking spotlight on himself. Take some blame mate.

All the problems he identifies get down to training, and maybe a lack of confidence the players have in him.

He's arguably burnt Cahill, Kilkenny, now Marcin sits on the bench even though it appears Wazza doesn't want to play him. Why the hell have him on the bench in the first place?

The game was a train wreck against a pitiful side that was barely hanging on to their first half lead. We looked so desperate to score that we banged the ball in aimlessly and yet Joyce watched without emptying the bench. Why not bring on Mauk and Marcin? The team needs a reboot and he doesn't make use of his subs. The players sitting on the pines must be thinking "fcuk you coach!" In fact that's what I'm thinking.

Edited by HEARTinator

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Wazza’s nationality is the issue. The English can’t coach

There's a reasonable discussion to be had about the pros and cons of a British style of football. That's not the point I was making. But any statement which says [nationality] can't/can... is just prejudice. The issue is simply whether Wazza is or is not going to fix Melbourne City. I've moved from giving him the space to sort out the mess, to wondering whether he is able to do so.

9 hours ago, Inferno said:

Robbie Slatter said that all at City are waiting for Bruno to return, and seems to think he is going to bag a few. With the service given to Ross tonight I can't see Bruno scoring either with these bananas around him. 

Bruno will not be the answer unfortunately. Last season he scored 17 goals but 8 were from penalties. So from open play he was scoring one goal every 3 games. And usually after a significant injury players have a dip in form.

• Like 1