Melbourne Football

Round 10: vs CCM Sunday 10 December AAMI Park @ 7pm

n i k o

15 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Few mariners fans online saying they should have had a penalty. Obviously I've completely missed the incident, can anyone explain?

La Rocca stepped directly on Hoole's (Or Pain's?) foot. The argument is that why didnt the VAR look at it. The next argument was that, did he have any control of the ball when the incident happened.

The commentators talked it up as usual.

The question is:

Does Atkinson warrant a starting spot over Muscat next game?

(We all know that Muscat will walk back in though)

Edited by haz

The result fell our way, but we're going to have to put away chances if we're going to win anything this season. Those misses in the first half from McCormack, Mauk and Jakobsen were diabolical, and we could have paid the price in the final 10 minutes or so. Mauk's commitment and Bouzanis' safe hands kept the two points in our pockets.

A sound debut from Atkinson. He looks to have a couple of nice tricks up his sleeve.

• Like 1

Just now, hakz7 said:

He played at right wing with Malik at RB anyway, didn’t he? So Muscat coming back might not affect him.

Yea you make a point. Would like to know if he is a RB or RW naturally? So I guess the question is now does Kamau come back into the XI and who would he replace

horrific finishing, should of put in around 4
people need to stop with the young fella already, he had a decent half against probably the worst lb in the comp and should of been dragged early in the 2nd for arzani
ref was a shitcunt too

2 big macs tonight, praying for more after the derby 

Edited by Thrillhouse

I thought that Atkinson did OK but no improvement on Kamau. His first half was better than his second presumably because of tiredness. For me, too often he tried to take on  too many players causing a turnover, secondly Rose and co were able to bundle him off the ball just as easily as they do with Kamau. One advantage over Kamau was that he kept his feet.

As for Crowley, nah. Caught out of position, no effectiveness to his game, needs to have a long look at his performance and work from there.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I thought that Atkinson did OK but no improvement on Kamau.

Not getting carried away at all about the kid but he did admirably for a debutant. The reality of the situation is that if he did no better but no worse than Kamau then he should be ahead of him. The problem for Kamau is he has had a ridiculous amount of exposure compared to any of these kids and still not much better than them IMO. 

Solid defense including goalkeeping.

Atkinson is promising. Still raw, overplaying ,reminds a bit of Kuzmanovski with all those tricks, but quicker, deserves another start ahead of Bruce and then to be substituted for Bruce.

Need to shoot more, too much fret in the box.

Brattan, being useless for the whole game, woke up once in the right time right place. Good start, hopefully he will capitalise on his own "Muscat moment".

Seeing players being switched in the attacking midfield was interesting. Good to know that Wazza is searching for the solution.

Jacobsen is very slow in the midfield.

Malik had a good game. Much less fails. Keeping the line well.

Overall very positive impression. We are getting there.

10 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Few mariners fans online saying they should have had a penalty. Obviously I've completely missed the incident, can anyone explain?

10 hours ago, haz said:

La Rocca stepped directly on Hoole's (Or Pain's?) foot. The argument is that why didnt the VAR look at it. The next argument was that, did he have any control of the ball when the incident happened.

The commentators talked it up as usual.

The question is:

Does Atkinson warrant a starting spot over Muscat next game?

(We all know that Muscat will walk back in though)

It was an absolutely nothing moment right near the end. In normal motion it looked as though Hoole twisted his ankle and that's why he was lying on the ground. Then fox sports showed the replay and it looks as though as Hoole is losing his balance and steps weirdly his foot moves into the path of La Rocca who accidentally steps on his ankle. Clear accident and no harm done, yet the way the fox sports commentators were going on about it La Rocca may as well have two-footed him to the back of the knee. I'm obviously biased but it was a clear accident and wouldn't be a foul anywhere on the pitch let alone a VAR penalty.

Very clear we lack potent aerial attack from corners.

Malik is a big looking target but is no better than McCormack in the air

we had 6 very early. 

i think we need to get creative from corners throw a few more short corners in etc.. as the hit and hope ain’t gunna work without Super Tim in the air.

Edited by Missing_Moy
  • Like 1

Probably up there as one of our better games, we created a lot of chances in the first half.

Jacobsen isn't a midfielder, but with half the team being defenders and him being captain where should he be? La Rocca and Bart pairing is working well, it's Wazza's problem to sort out.

I really think Mauk should be playing in one of the defensive midfielder spots, probably where Jacobsen is playing, that's where I think we'll get the most benefit out of him.

We need a no 10 in January or start playing Bratten there, though admittedly Bratten has had his best performances on the wing, playing the Muller/Broich role, I think it suits him.

Was a good weekend, the youth won, the girls won and the men won with a better performance, not bad.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, moops said:

Probably up there as one of our better games, we created a lot of chances in the first half.

Jacobsen isn't a midfielder, but with half the team being defenders and him being captain where should he be? La Rocca and Bart pairing is working well, it's Wazza's problem to sort out.

I really think Mauk should be playing in one of the defensive midfielder spots, probably where Jacobsen is playing, that's where I think we'll get the most benefit out of him.

We need a no 10 in January or start playing Bratten there, though admittedly Bratten has had his best performances on the wing, playing the Muller/Broich role, I think it suits him.

Was a good weekend, the youth won, the girls won and the men won with a better performance, not bad.

Get Jako to LB Jamison up to the LW and fitzy to his best spot the RW 

only problem with that is if someone has serious pace up the left can be exploited but hopefully jamieson would track back and help out 

Edited by Missing_Moy

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

It was an absolutely nothing moment right near the end. In normal motion it looked as though Hoole twisted his ankle and that's why he was lying on the ground. Then fox sports showed the replay and it looks as though as Hoole is losing his balance and steps weirdly his foot moves into the path of La Rocca who accidentally steps on his ankle. Clear accident and no harm done, yet the way the fox sports commentators were going on about it La Rocca may as well have two-footed him to the back of the knee. I'm obviously biased but it was a clear accident and wouldn't be a foul anywhere on the pitch let alone a VAR penalty.

If that was a penalty then we should also have had one in the first half when a City player was got bowled over in front of the CCM goal. I hate this VAR shit. If the on-field referee calls for it maybe it's acceptable, but not the other way round. But I still say it should be for goal-line decisions only.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If that was a penalty then we should also have had one in the first half when a City player was got bowled over in front of the CCM goal. I hate this VAR shit. If the on-field referee calls for it maybe it's acceptable, but not the other way round. But I still say it should be for goal-line decisions only.

ditto on VAR

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

That was one of the very best goals I've seen this club score.

TOTALLY agree and I was a member in the Heart days. Cahill's derby thunderbolt at Etihad was memorable but for smart thinking and one-touch movement I think that was just about unbeatable.   My son and I were at the game last night and I said the exact same thing to him 30seconds after Ross hit it into their net.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Poor, but not surprising

Late kickoff on a school night.  I think it was just about respectable.

Regarding the VAR decision (or lack thereof), if the shoe was on the other foot I would be screaming for a penalty. It was accidental, but really clumsy and unnecessary from La Rocca and we're lucky it didn't cost us IMO.

These incidents are going to happen and cost us points if we continue to fluff so many chances - see Sydney, WSW games. Bruno can't come back soon enough.

Take the points and move on. Good to see the squad a little more confident and hopefully this adds to their confidence a little bit. Still a bit heart-in-mouth at the end for my liking, but that is purely a result of 7 years of crushing disappointment more than anything...

10 minutes ago, loriente said:

Regarding the VAR decision (or lack thereof), if the shoe was on the other foot I would be screaming for a penalty. anything...

I wouldn't, it was not even close to an illegal infringement on the player.

Okon is just pissed off that his team played like crap and trying to lay the blame elsewhere.

I am so glad Wazza distances himself from refereeing/ VAR decisions as I find managers that do fools. Hopefully we get some questionable decisions around the box in our favour next match that leads to a match winning score because I enjoy watching Arnold spitting the dummy at the referees.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

TOTALLY agree and I was a member in the Heart days. Cahill's derby thunderbolt at Etihad was memorable but for smart thinking and one-touch movement I think that was just about unbeatable.   My son and I were at the game last night and I said the exact same thing to him 30seconds after Ross hit it into their net.

Watch the build-up to Alex Terra's winner in the first ever Derby.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, japiedog said:

played well at times , but our poor finishing will cost us against better teams ie Sydney

still slow on transition from defence to attack

"the kid" did well, but one swallow doesn't make a summer etc

McCormack still can't head a ball 

That's true, but you've got to give the young players a fair go or you lose them to another club. Did you have a close look at Da Silva last night? A shrimp of a lad, but beautiful turn on the ball to reverse the direction of play - love watching players like him. Atkinson's got class and clearly there's a few others who are thinking that too. Should hold his place.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/live-aleague-melbourne-city-host-rejuvenated-central-coast-mariners-in-crunch-match/news-story/7d0499973ec4e7e8b71b4f13c80c83eb

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/young-gun-nathaniel-atkinson-praised-by-coach-warren-joyce-after-starring-in-melbourne-city-win/news-story/494a5ad6a333f3b020f4de577184c9a8

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/joyce-atkinson-didnt-surprise-me-479537

Edited by jw1739

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's true, but you've got to give the young players a fair go or you lose them to another club. Did you have a close look at Da Silva last night? A shrimp of a lad, but beautiful turn on the ball to reverse the direction of play - love watching players like him. Atkinson's got class and clearly there's a few others who are thinking that too. Should hold his place.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/live-aleague-melbourne-city-host-rejuvenated-central-coast-mariners-in-crunch-match/news-story/7d0499973ec4e7e8b71b4f13c80c83eb

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/young-gun-nathaniel-atkinson-praised-by-coach-warren-joyce-after-starring-in-melbourne-city-win/news-story/494a5ad6a333f3b020f4de577184c9a8

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/joyce-atkinson-didnt-surprise-me-479537

Da Silva was excellent ... he has a few more runs on the board than Atkinson 

I'm not knocking Atkinson.. but you don't want the " this is the new Bradman " tag after one match , lets see how it goes after a few matches when opposition have worked him out and see how he responds 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Get Jako to LB Jamison up to the LW and fitzy to his best spot the RW 

only problem with that is if someone has serious pace up the left can be exploited but hopefully jamieson would track back and help out 

I was thinking something like 442

Jacko  Bart   La Rocca Jaimison

Kamoo/Atkinson Kilkenny Mauk Bratten

Ross Fitzy

Or a midfield of

Bratten Killa Mauk Arzani.

The only thing is Killa is out of favour, so it will be Malik there instead. Ross likes to get involved in the build up play, I think with him and Fitzy moving about they could cause all sorts of confusion up front against defenders with their movement and interplay. Have Bratten play the Muller/Broich role with a traditional winger on other side and we are less predictable in build up play, especially if the wingers swap occasionally. Mauk plays his preferred role making intercepts and tackles and starting the build up.

Without a proper no10 it could work, but it's completely different to what the players are used to (besides Ross) and could take a bit of time for Fitzy to learn the role, that's the draw back.

Wazza seems like he is working the team out and trying little things each time and we are still third, this is a learning period for him as well. I don't know why but I think he will come good and work things out like he wants it without my input, I have more faith in him than JVS atm.

Anyway I was wrapped with our first half last night; thought it was our best half of the season, finishing aside. CCM were really average in attack, imo due to our tactics of overloading the centre of the park. Plenty of good performances across the board, thought our right side combo of Malik and Atkinson was outstanding in that first half, but like the rest of the team probably petered out a bit after the goal. Bart probably our best over the 90.

2nd half became a bit of a park the bus and hit on the counter scenario, but imo we got sucked a bit deeper than we’d have otherwise have liked.
CCM prob should have got a pen at the end for mine, but not even their most biased fan could argue they deserved anything out of that surely.

IMO we are coming together quite nicely so far, and hopefully that killer edge will develop from here; we are clearly creating the chances and our defence has been pretty solid this season. As far as I can recall, only George and Wilkshire have scored against us this year in a genuine attacking move, the other goals have all come from individual errors. That to me says we are defending really well as a unit and tightening the angles for the opposition to score from, we just need to maintain our concentration when the pressure is off.

Another ‘uge game this week and a chance to close the race to three points. Obv you’d prob take a draw but a win would be massive.
For mine if we are within 6 points at New Years we are in with a serious chance with ACL commitments coming up for Sydney.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1