Melbourne Football

Round 10: vs CCM Sunday 10 December AAMI Park @ 7pm

n i k o

12 hours ago, Jessee Jenkinson said:

To Thank Tim for all his done for the club just a thought at the 17 minute mark have a minute of applause to thank him for all his done for the club. Just a thought. 

He came in a blaze of publicity. He did a few things for us. He didn't find favour with the new manager. He made some unfortunate public remarks. The club took umbrage. A settlement was reached. He left.

Move on.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Going by the inclusions I thought we might see either Crowley or Najjarine but after watching Joyce's presser I'm nearly convinced that he will start one of them and we will probably see both.

I don't know where Najjarine plays but Crowley could either start alongside Ross or on the wing. 

He's a cagey bugger, isn't he.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:16 PM, bt50 said:

Yeh but thats an established player v a kid. I doubt they'd throw a kid in in an unnatural position when there's another kid in form that is a natural. Anywho, this week :

Bouzanis

Jakobsen      La Rocca     Schenkeveld     Jamieson

Malik            Brattan

Mauk

Fitzy                       McCormack           Kamau

SUBS : Galekovic Arzani Tongyik Budzinski Carrusca

I'd prefer to see Jako left at CDM and a kid (Cavallo, Pieiras or Atkinson) given a crack at RB, but i have my doubts as to whether it will happen. Alternatively we could have another crack at Fitzy back there and play Arzani on the right wing. I'd suggest if we do that then Najaarine or Genreau will replace Tongyik on the bench as Malik will sit on the pine.

Edit : Leaving Crowley out as i think if Ross has to come off then Fitzy or Bud replaces him.

Well after listening to that presser i've changed my mind completely on how i think we'll line up. For me:

Bouzanis

Atkinson      La Rocca     Schenkeveld     Jamieson

Jakobsen            Brattan

Mauk

SUBS : Galekovic Arzani Malik Budzinski Crowley

I think Najaarine has to be a chance also, but for me this is most likely.

The other thing i took particularly interesting with the presser is that the thought behind Fitzy and not Manny at RB v Perth was to ensure Manny was not going to be suspended for the Newy game. Not sure ive seen that approach at this stage of the season, but at least it shows theyre thinking about it.

Edited by bt50

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well after listening to that presser i've changed my mind completely on how i think we'll line up. For me:

Bouzanis

Atkinson      La Rocca     Schenkeveld     Jamieson

Jakobsen            Brattan

Mauk

SUBS : Galekovic Arzani Malik Budzinski Crowley

I think Najaarine has to be a chance also, but for me this is most likely.

Atkinson wasn't listed in the team news though? 

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Atkinson wasn't listed in the team news though? 

Yeh he wasnt. He was the first name Joyce dropped when asked about in's for this week and also suggested there'd be a debutant this week. Crowley and Arzani have both debuted, so that's leaves Atkinson and Ramy of the players mentioned, and its quite clear that RB is the position that appears up for grabs.
I suppose its possible Jako occupies the RB spot tho and Mauk drops to DM, with Ramy at 10.

Just now, bt50 said:

Yeh he wasnt. He was the first name Joyce dropped when asked about in's for this week and also suggested there'd be a debutant this week. Crowley and Arzani have both debuted, so that's leaves Atkinson and Ramy of the players mentioned, and its quite clear that RB is the position that appears up for grabs.
I suppose its possible Jako occupies the RB spot tho and Mauk drops to DM, with Ramy at 10.

I suppose my question then is, can a player be picked if he isn't listed in the team news? 

I just assumed that Najjarine was the player he was referring to. 

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I suppose my question then is, can a player be picked if he isn't listed in the team news? 

As far as i know you can. For example I'm sure that when a keeper is injured in the warm up and you end up with a kid sitting on the bench its the same situation. Only reason i can see he wouldnt be named would be to throw the opposition perhaps?

Edited by bt50

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Perhaps he meant debut for him as manager this season. None of those young guys have done so, in season proper, under Joyce have they? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Perhaps he meant debut for him as manager this season. None of those young guys have done so, in season proper, under Joyce have they? 

Crowley featured off the bench back in Round 1 and Arzani sat on the bench last week but yeh no others have featured this season. None of the 4 have made a full debut for Melbourne City, Crowley has for Newcastle.
It could be the case, but i always take the word 'debutante' to mean first appearance, and in the context of this week as used by Joyce, a starting one as well.

38 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Yes. The only squad that counts is that submitted 90-120 minutes before KO, and as we saw last week, even that can be changed before KO if someone named becomes unavailable.

What I took from the presser was the Muscat thing, a definite intent to give some of the young players a go at some stage, and that if Joycey doesn't want to answer a question then he won't.

And, obviously, he manages to use "obviously" in every sentence...

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Crowley featured off the bench back in Round 1 and Arzani sat on the bench last week but yeh no others have featured this season. None of the 4 have made a full debut for Melbourne City, Crowley has for Newcastle.
It could be the case, but i always take the word 'debutante' to mean first appearance, and in the context of this week as used by Joyce, a starting one as well.

Yeh so do I, will be interesting to see then who he chooses.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Do you think the Walkerists that have been salivating for Pierias all pre-season and season so far heads' will explode it Atkinson plays instead?

As a self appointed Walkerist, it sounds like Atkinson had a really good game and made a difference last weekend, if he is taking the place of Pierias, he must be doing something right.

That said it sounds like he played as a wingback so would be more attacking maybe, where Pierias may be more defensively sound?

That's just an assumption though going by match reports I haven't seen him play, might try and make it down to the next Lakeside game.

• Like 1

If Atkinson does get the gig at right back I don't think it says anything about pierias. The kid is 16-17 and let's be honest we wouldn't know about him of he didn't play that one game in really unusual circumstances. I think he will be a good player but as all young players he needs time and if he isn't in form we shouldn't just gift him a game 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, neio said:

If Atkinson does get the gig at right back I don't think it says anything about pierias. The kid is 16-17 and let's be honest we wouldn't know about him of he didn't play that one game in really unusual circumstances. I think he will be a good player but as all young players he needs time and if he isn't in form we shouldn't just gift him a game 

Ironically we don't have a problem gifting Muscat a game after almost constant mediocre performances . Thats the hypocrisy that gets me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Ironically we don't have a problem gifting Muscat a game after almost constant mediocre performances . Thats the hypocrisy that gets me

Ironic? Hypocrisy? WTF???

He's a 30 something veteran with hundreds of games experience and strong body against a weak bodied 16yr old with one game who was selected out of pure necessity and not form.

F me seriously...

Well I do hope he gives young Atkinson a chance. I would rather have a young player in his proper position, than try and shoehorn someone into that position who isn’t comfortable playing there.

I am also curious if he my try and play with a back three and use Atkinson and Jamieson has wing backs. It’s a system that could give us the option of playing young Crowley alongside Ross. However it would probably mean Fitzy and Kamau on the bench.

This would be my team:

Bouzanis

Bort                              La Rocca                     Jacobsen

Atkinson                                                                                                                                           Jamieson     

Kilkenny                                     Brattan

Mauk

Crowley                      Ross

Subs: Eugene, Malik  Fitzy, Kamau, Arzani

3 hours ago, silva10 said:

Well I do hope he gives young Atkinson a chance. I would rather have a young player in his proper position, than try and shoehorn someone into that position who isn’t comfortable playing there.

I am also curious if he my try and play with a back three and use Atkinson and Jamieson has wing backs. It’s a system that could give us the option of playing young Crowley alongside Ross. However it would probably mean Fitzy and Kamau on the bench.

This would be my team:

Bouzanis

Atkinson                                                                                                                                           Jamieson     

Mauk

I like this but I'm pretty sure Wazza has ditched the 3 at back with 2 wingbacks.

I can't see Kilkenny starting anytime soon especially in front off Malik and I don't think he will have 2 youth players starting. 

So if he starts Atkinson at RB that will mean we start something like 

Bouzanis 

Atkinson       Bort   La Rocca    Jamieson 

Malik               Jakobsen  

Mauk

Fitzy                    Ross                  Brattan 

Galekovic Kamau  Budzinski Crowley Arzani     

5 hours ago, silva10 said:

This would be my team:

Bouzanis

Mauk

Killa is playing with the youth team today

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Players who won't play tomorrow because they played today: Kilkenny, Metcalfe and Genreau.

Players possible for tomorrow: Atkinson, Pierias, Arzani, Najjarine, Roberts. And Crowley.

Nice set. Would not mind to see Genreau there as well though.

20 hours ago, rass said:

Ironic? Hypocrisy? WTF???

He's a 30 something veteran with hundreds of games experience and strong body against a weak bodied 16yr old with one game who was selected out of pure necessity and not form.

F me seriously...

Seriously (exaggerated eye roll included) from Pierias's one appearance he showed more than Muscat has imho, but tbf Muscat does have a decent cross on him, but at his age won't be getting much better, he is what he is. It depends what you see as important or improvement, keep the status quo which is average but dependable. Or show some faith in a fella who could improve exponentially, who has shown he can compete at this level and 'could' (operative word) improve further and impact games like Fitzy is?

Consider Ajax who's champions league team's average age was 23, now HAL isn't no champions league, if they have young guys running about there, but we are to scared to in this league, I call bs. With our facilities and set up we could become the Ajax of Australia and have a revolving door for young Aussies to Europe and a good cash flow so we don't care about crowd size.

Mooy's sale was worth more than CFG payed for the actual club, a few more gems it's almost free to run and a good way for Manchester to inflate it's fair play spending. Reputation rises sales are easier, more investments can be made and it's snow ball time, who knows maybe we may have someone play for Manchester one day?

Don't kid yourself that the HAL isn't a development league, when the whole team wage cap could pay for only one player in Europe or Asia.

We should capitalise on what we have and it's not player spending power, it's our facilities, coaching staff and opportunities we can provide.

Rant over.

Edited by moops
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Players who won't play tomorrow because they played today: Kilkenny, Metcalfe and Genreau.

Players possible for tomorrow: Atkinson, Pierias, Arzani, Najjarine, Roberts. And Crowley.

Wazza clearly doesn’t rate Kilkenny and Genreau. Basically it seems everything he thinks about football is the opposite of me.

Going to be a long 18 months.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Wazza clearly doesn’t rate Kilkenny and Genreau. Basically it seems everything he thinks about football is the opposite of me.

Going to be a long 18 months.

There must be problems between Kilkenny and Wazza. Cant see any other reason for him not getting more game time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

There must be problems between Kilkenny and Wazza. Cant see any other reason for him not getting more game time. 

Killer loves to have a rant and a sook and stamp his feet. Wazza wants total discipline, obedience and adherence to the one true path. Killer is fcuked.

25 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But to isolate a player, a quality player is very poor and weak management.

Do we know the details though? Maybe Kilkenny has said he wants to leave and until he finds a club has opted to keep fit by training with and playing for the NYL team rather than walk out the door?

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Do we know the details though? Maybe Kilkenny has said he wants to leave and until he finds a club has opted to keep fit by training with and playing for the NYL team rather than walk out the door?

Of course we don't know the details and it's basically bullshit speculation on my part.

But what is solid.

1. Kilkenny was by far our best and more importantly most consistent player last season. 

2. He is not injured or hasn't been injured for weeks. 

3 Not to even make match day squad and have "youth team" players instead is a clear statement.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Of course we don't know the details and it's basically bullshit speculation on my part.

But what is solid.

1. Kilkenny was by far our best and more importantly most consistent player last season. 

2. He is not injured or hasn't been injured for weeks. 

3 Not to even make match day squad and have "youth team" players instead is a clear statement.  

I also think he hasn't been his usual self when he has played, whether that's because of lack of playing time, or a negative mindset is for someone who likes tin foil hats maybe?