Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

24 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Griffiths attitude when playing in centre back compared to midfield is different. I remember him being a lot more aggressive in tackles in the midfield. He seemed to tow that line when he played in defence. That was my observation anyway. And it would make sense for a player to approach both positions differently so I'm probably right :up:

Tackling reminds me of Wayne Srhoj.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Griffiths attitude when playing in centre back compared to midfield is different. I remember him being a lot more aggressive in tackles in the midfield. He seemed to tow that line when he played in defence. That was my observation anyway. And it would make sense for a player to approach both positions differently so I'm probably right :up:

Not wrong at all, good observation.

+1 on Griff as a better option at CB than Delbo. Far more composed and a good communicator who brings a level of calm to the defence. Unfortunately we don't have a midfielder like Brillante who can slot in at CB anymore if desperate.

I think Delbridge may have listened to Andy Harper's hype a little too much and values himself more than he's worth. He's a slightly above average A-League level defender, nowhere near the Socceroo's squad and his performances last season hurt his bargaining ability. When he wasn't at CB we looked a much better outfit and his best games where when he played full back.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We miss Delbo alot more than people realise. 

This is just my opinion, but the amount of times he saved us due to Atkinson and Jamieson being out of position was ridiculous, alot of people see that big last ditch lunging tackle as him being in wrong spot, and I agree sometimes it was. But alot of time it was also him having the pace to be able to get back where other players couldn't. 

Also without a doubt he was our most commanding presence at set piece defence situations. 

Him and Brillante are by far our 2 biggest losses from last season

Edited by neio
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, neio said:

We miss Delbo alot more than people realise. 

This is just my opinion, but the amount of times he saved us due to Atkinson and Jamieson being out of position was ridiculous, alot of people see that big last ditch lunging tackle as him being in wrong spot, and I agree sometimes it was. But alot of time it was also him having the pace to be able to get back where other players couldn't. 

Also without a doubt he was our first ost commanding presence at set piece defence situations. 

Him and Brillante are by far our 2 biggest losses from last season

Many people realise that. He never gave up the chase and he saved us on many an occasion. And I have heard that he was by far the fittest player in the team. So we let him go and sign a 29 y-o Portuguese defender whom we know fuck all about and who has his own fair share of reds and yellows.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't...

Player management... 

But it's too late now.

Personally I thought we looked much more assured with Griff and Good at the back than anytime Delbo played at CB. He was good, but a risk at all times. Going in without replacing him before Round 1 was a catastrophic error. Even if it was with an A-League journeyman like Dino Djulbic or similar, Stokes is far too raw to be starting games at CB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Personally I thought we looked much more assured with Griff and Good at the back than anytime Delbo played at CB. He was good, but a risk at all times. Going in without replacing him before Round 1 was a catastrophic error. Even if it was with an A-League journeyman like Dino Djulbic or similar, Stokes is far too raw to be starting games at CB.

Looks as if Stokes got the yips part way through that game. Looked like his confidence and self belief deserted him. He looked full of indecision and didn't move when he needed to track the attacking player, and that's when he lunged in and got his second yellow trying to catch up. I don't know whether that was rawness or something deeper and team wide. Metcalf looks to have gone backwards too. 

Edited by fensaddler