Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm reluctant to blame individual players - except Bouzanis, who I think just isn't up to it - I think we were poorly set up against Perth and had the wrong game plan. Why on earth we were playing long high balls to Maclaren is beyond me, and when we persisted with that tactic after conceding a soft goal we were never likely to get anything out of the match. I thought the coaching against Perth was every bit as bad as what we saw under Joyce, and didn't seem consistent with any of the principles espoused by Mombaerts. I still don't understand WTF we thought we were doing.

I don't think we should be taking it out on Delbridge when IMO it was Mombaerts who got it all wrong.

Agree. The ultimate reason for the loss was the tactics. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm reluctant to blame individual players - except Bouzanis, who I think just isn't up to it - I think we were poorly set up against Perth and had the wrong game plan. Why on earth we were playing long high balls to Maclaren is beyond me, and when we persisted with that tactic after conceding a soft goal we were never likely to get anything out of the match. I thought the coaching against Perth was every bit as bad as what we saw under Joyce, and didn't seem consistent with any of the principles espoused by Mombaerts. I still don't understand WTF we thought we were doing.

I don't think we should be taking it out on Delbridge when IMO it was Mombaerts who got it all wrong.

We didn't deliberately set out to play long balls or go out wide. This is the team adapting to the match scenario in front of them.

Perth choked the middle with five players almost all in the circle. It's a low block. 

How do we get around that? A team needs to find ways of breaking down their opposition, which is why we saw a few long balls and the wingers dropping to find more of the ball. We were pushed out wide because that's where the space was. Makes it difficult to play our way and in the press conference Mombaerts said we tried to fix it at half time but we conceded the second and it made it very hard. We also conceded first, which was less than ideal.

It's a good lesson for the coaches and the team. IMO different players are needed against that kind of system, ones who can carry the ball and like to play in tight and quicker, more direct players. I'm thinking of guys like Berenguer, Luna, Wales and Najjarine. 

But in regards to Delbridge, twice he was beaten in the air by his direct opponent and the other was an own goal off his boot. He wasn't responsible for the loss but he was the worst player out there. I'm sure he'd be pissed off at Bouzanis but I reckon he'd know he had a shocker. 

He's definitely not been as good as he was last year but imo outside of maybe Galloway, pretty much our entire back 5 has been below average to poor.

Our tactics are leaving our defenders quite exposed at times.

Edited by Embee

2 hours ago, Embee said:

He's definitely not been as good as he was last year but imo outside of maybe Galloway, pretty much our entire back 5 has been below average to poor.

Our tactics are leaving our defenders quite exposed at times.

Granted. But many errors of the likes of Jamieson and Delbo have been individual errors. They're not necessarily exposure to poor positioning, although at times they are. Simple routine things like not passing it to an oppositions players feet are unfortunately  happening every game. Im pretty sure I could safely bet that Bort would not be making those basic errors like that even within the current system (please note, im not saying he's without error). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, n i k o said:

Granted. But many errors of the likes of Jamieson and Delbo have been individual errors. They're not necessarily exposure to poor positioning, although at times they are. Simple routine things like not passing it to an oppositions players feet are unfortunately  happening every game. Im pretty sure I could safely bet that Bort would not be making those basic errors like that even within the current system (please note, im not saying he's without error). 

Not saying it's necessarily what's causing the issues, but asking too much of players in possession can lead to those errors too. Harrison and Curtis aren't particularly brilliant with the ball at their feet, although Curtis is decent enough at this level.

To be fair, for the most part Bort was probably as close to a perfect centre back as you'll get in Australia. Good positioning and reading of the play, excellent recovery speed for the times he was caught out and was also a cut above with the ball at his feet as far as most other defenders in this league.

Edited by Embee

8 hours ago, Embee said:

excellent recovery speed for the times he was caught out

This... enjoyed watching this always - most of the time he would recover with those burst and calmly keep possession without wild antics. I didn’t even mind that opponents broken through the lines as Bort was there.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Embee said:

Not saying it's necessarily what's causing the issues, but asking too much of players in possession can lead to those errors too. Harrison and Curtis aren't particularly brilliant with the ball at their feet, although Curtis is decent enough at this level.

The system we play unfortunately asks a lot of quality from every player hence it argued if this is the right approach for this league.

36 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The system we play unfortunately asks a lot of quality from every player hence it argued if this is the right approach for this league.

That’s why Windbichler needs to come in when he’s fit. He’s a good defender sure, but he’s an even better ball player. He was used as a six at times in the K-League and in the Austrian Bundesliga. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Sorry, this is is the wrong attitude. We should and must demand that the league improve. If the coach does not raise the bar then no one will. It is yup to the coach and club to search for players to improve or to find players that are willing to improve. "Quality" is dependent on a lot of factors and talent is only one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Sorry, this is is the wrong attitude. We should and must demand that the league improve. If the coach does not raise the bar then no one will. It is yup to the coach and club to search for players to improve or to find players that are willing to improve. "Quality" is dependent on a lot of factors and talent is only one.

Okay let’s have the right attitude! Let’s find some real impact and team carrying visas players and use the marquee and guest player spots for proper players.

Edited by Mr MO

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, neio said:

Obviously just 2 people's opinions, but Delbridge has made half way point team of season by Daniel Garb and Simon Hill. Very interesting selection as he has had 2 red cards

Has obviously made a massive impact on some people this season 

His highlights reel would be very impressive this season. How much attention is given to his shortcomings and mistakes is another thing. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm an unashamed Delbridge fan. It's not only his highlights that grab the fan's attention, it's that you can see his absolute commitment to the cause in every match. That's what we loved about Bruno, and I think Delbo comes close as a defender. City desperately needs some continuity, and Delbridge is the type of player who provides that.

I for one would love to see him become a "club stalwart."

Yeah love his commitment has a few brain farts but he is amazing in the air and desperate to stop goals love him!!

3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

how the fuck do they both have diamanti in their teams 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Take off your partisan blinkers. Have you seen the passes he makes? That cross to Berisha for their first goal on Sunday was an absolute peach. You may not like him, but he is a hugely talented playmaker. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm an unashamed Delbridge fan. It's not only his highlights that grab the fan's attention, it's that you can see his absolute commitment to the cause in every match. That's what we loved about Bruno, and I think Delbo comes close as a defender. City desperately needs some continuity, and Delbridge is the type of player who provides that.

I for one would love to see him become a "club stalwart."

I agree with your sentiments. How many more red cards we can handle watching is another thing. If he is to be our future club stalwart we can't afford him getting multiple red cards a season. If he can improve this part and maintain his performances I'll be all the way behind him staying and perhaps even captaining the team. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can we finally agree that he's just not very good? For a guy his size he is timid in the air but throws himself into slide tackles like he's N'golo Kante. Last season was an anomaly, he's  just a bang average defender, a good back up but nothing more.

I reckon you could stand Marc Warren next to Bart and he'd probably look like a decent A-League player.

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Can we finally agree that he's just not very good? For a guy his size he is timid in the air but throws himself into slide tackles like he's N'golo Kante. Last season was an anomaly, he's  just a bang average defender, a good back up but nothing more.

I reckon you could stand Marc Warren next to Bart and he'd probably look like a decent A-League player.

“Bart who?” and “future Socceroo” or even “captain material”. Perhaps overhyped after a couple of good tackles.
However I do think he’s got value to add to this league and club, but you are correct just an average defender.

Edited by Mr MO

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Or possibly he knows that he's not being retained for next season and couldn't care a fuck anymore?

Wouldn’t you play your heart out to earn an extension. That might be it, he’s trying to hard. His fans would devastated if he leaves. No doubt he will pick up another A-League contract somewhere else.

23 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Wouldn’t you play your heart out to earn an extension. That might be it, he’s trying to hard. His fans would devastated if he leaves. No doubt he will pick up another A-League contract somewhere else.

Be shocked if we didn’t re-sign him what other Australian CB are out there. 

3 minutes ago, neio said:

Or maybe he just made a bad tackle. He isn't the first to do it, he won't be the last. He obviously has some form of problem with red cards, but I would be staggered if we let him go 

He looks like he’s trying too hard and the emotion gets the most of him. Looked good with Bart next to him as Bart  was the leader of the defence calm and composed whereas he doesn’t have him there now. 

Edited by CityBoyz

1 minute ago, CityBoyz said:

He looks like he’s trying too hard and the emotion gets the most of him. Looked good with Bart next to him as Bart  was the leader of the defence calm and composed whereas he doesn’t have him there now. 

in addition to that, Bart was usually the one who chased down players when we were caught out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, malloy said:

in addition to that, Bart was usually the one who chased down players when we were caught out.

In hindsight not offering Bart what he wanted is what will cost us top 2 as our defence has been shambolic this season. Shocking by the decision makers at the club where Sydney can re-sign their whole squad again for next season we couldn’t re-sign our best player. Just shows we’re the two clubs are at🤦‍♂️

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

In hindsight not offering Bart what he wanted is what will cost us top 2 as our defence has been shambolic this season. Shocking by the decision makers at the club where Sydney can re-sign their whole squad again for next season we couldn’t re-sign our best player. Just shows we’re the two clubs are at🤦‍♂️

It has been mentioned here before but there was two things at play with Bart.

He wanted a lot money which would make him marquee and unfortunately we already committed to paying Berenguer a fortune for this season. We couldn’t fit any of them under the cap as there was only one marquee spot up for grabs as Jmac was already locked in.

Edited by Mr MO