Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Its not the first time you’ve brought up the baseless statement that Delbridge is much better than Schenkeveld.

I think that last time i quoted stats that showed his back passing problem to be true.

You know what stats are don't you?

What they do is bring real evidence to a discussion.

Also, don't warp the truth, as I stated my only gripe with Bart was his uninspiring, unproductive,  and problematic passing issue that caused the slow ball movement and stopped many counter attacking opportunities which was something  that everyone was complaining about.

Was he the only one to blame? No

Was he a big contributor to the problem? Yes

Was Robocop better at that aspect of his game? Yes

The stats that I presented backed that up so it's not as baseless as you think it is.

IS IT!

You are fake news.

3 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Is that a Miley Cyrus quote?

I don't know, is it? 

23 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think that last time i quoted stats that showed his back passing problem to be true.

Also, don't warp the truth, as I stated my only gripe with Bart was his uninspiring, unproductive,  and problematic passing issue that caused the slow ball movement and stopped many counter attacking opportunities which was something  that everyone was complaining about.

The stats that I presented backed that up so it's not as baseless as you think it is.

IS IT!

You are fake news.

You think Bart was a big contributor to our slow ball movement? Don't you think it could have been more the tactics and lack of application of our game plan. I remember many times bort taking the ball himself foward due to limited passing options. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

IS IT!

You are fake news.

But you did say that you’d take Delbridge over Schenkeveld. Is that just because of his passing? 

Delbridge is improving but Bart is a much better defender. His passing is fine. Our stagnant midfield was the problem. Playing out from the back is hugely dependent on both teams’ systems. There were rarely good options for our defenders, so they had to circulate it.

And I’m just guessing here, but Delbridge played more matches at LB than he did at CB, so comparing their passing stats isn’t a fair comparison. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

You think Bart was a big contributor to our slow ball movement? Don't you think it could have been more the tactics and lack of application of our game plan. I remember many times bort taking the ball himself foward due to limited passing options. 

I remember about  5- 10 times.

But I struggle to remember any forward balls with purpose from Bart.

I do remember Robocop pumping the ball up the field and then getting hated upon because it wasn't the perfect pass.

At least Robocop tried to do something.

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

But you did say that you’d take Delbridge over Schenkeveld. Is that just because of his passing? 

IMO Delbridge was the forum whipping boy for no other reason that people couldn't swallow their own pride and then didn't acknowledge when he was clearly the better defender.

I think Bart was great at covering and saved our arses on many many occasions, but I think Delbo did his fair share also and was more of a complete player with much better vision and awareness after we got possession.

Bart's problem was his passing.

10 minutes ago, playmaker said:

IMO Delbridge was the forum whipping boy for no other reason that people couldn't swallow their own pride and then didn't acknowledge when he was clearly the better defender.

I think Bart was great at covering and saved our arses on many many occasions, but I think Delbo did his fair share also and was more of a complete player with much better vision and awareness after we got possession.

I am a huge Delbo fan, but you are kidding yourself if you think delbo was the better of the two.

You seem to forget that nearly all of Bart's tackles ended up with him having the ball at his feet with yards of space or a controlled defensive header to a team mate (as opposed to putting the ball out to touch).

You target Bart's supposed lack of passing, which is just a symptom of a stagnant midfield and forward line that did not move to create space for other players or present themselves to the defence.

It was quite obvious that Bart is used to playing with players who are above the A-League.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

I thought Delbridge was our best player in a few matches but Bart is still a better defender and footballer. And that’s no disrespect to Delbridge. 

I’m not sure why you think Bart’s problem was his passing. A defender isn’t there to create chances, and if they are then it’s because the system is designed that way and the defenders facilitate that ball movement. Bart’s technique was very good, probably because he came through the Feyenoord academy.

It’s a strange criticism to level at the best defender this league has probably seen. 

• Like 2

FWIW i think Delbridge had a better season than Bart last season. I dont for a second think he's the better player of the two though. I'd be picking Bart 99 times out of 100 given the option at this point in time, although who knows going forward if Delbo continues to improve.
Although still very good, i dont think Bart was as good last year as he was the year before.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just a symptom of one of the problems of the League. Off-season far too long, and that's what fans are reduced to because of it.

Still better than talking about whether or not Toby Greene is a misunderstood boy who has been hard done by for two weeks straight.

Edited by The Aardvark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I don't know, is it? 

Exactly this!

1 hour ago, malloy said:

I am a huge Delbo fan, but you are kidding yourself if you think delbo was the better of the two.

You seem to forget that nearly all of Bart's tackles ended up with him having the ball at his feet with yards of space or a controlled defensive header to a team mate (as opposed to putting the ball out to touch).

You target Bart's supposed lack of passing, which is just a symptom of a stagnant midfield and forward line that did not move to create space for other players or present themselves to the defence.

It was quite obvious that Bart is used to playing with players who are above the A-League.

Spot on, you’ve addressed the items why I believe the 2 players aren’t in the same category yet. The tackling part and covering spaces is so important for a defender with maintaining possession in mind.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

I remember about  5- 10 times.

But I struggle to remember any forward balls with purpose from Bart.

I do remember Robocop pumping the ball up the field and then getting hated upon because it wasn't the perfect pass.

At least Robocop tried to do something.

Ok if that's what you're hedging your faith in Delbridge on then you're very much out of your depth in this conversation. Delbridge probably had one of the worst conversion rates of long balls of any player. To believe this is a positive and to critique another player of not doing the same is simply unfathomable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's actually "yin" rather than "ying." I doubt that the saying can be attributed to any particular person. The concept of duality has been around for many, many centuries as part of ancient Chinese philosophy.

Adding the g gives more truth to the concept but I could also be just talking out of my arse 

Edited by n i k o
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, playmaker said:

IS IT!

You are fake news.

You need to look at the individual stats in the context of the team. Luke Brattan was also criticised for back-passing, but, the reality was that there were very few forward passing options as players movement off the ball was very conservative. Had Bart been disobeying the coaches wishes and had he been a major disruptor to the game plan, he would have been dropped

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

Delbridge probably had one of the worst conversion rates of long balls of any player

Prove it if you can. But you can't.

And don't give me overall passing stats because most of Bart's passes were less than 10 metres sideways or backwards.

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

you're very much out of your depth in this conversation.

According to who? You?

You make me laugh. As if your opinion has more authority than anyone else's here.

You can't help yourself can you. Legend in your own lunchbox.

6 hours ago, bt50 said:

FWIW i think Delbridge had a better season than Bart last season. I dont for a second think he's the better player of the two though. I'd be picking Bart 99 times out of 100 given the option at this point in time, although who knows going forward if Delbo continues to improve.
Although still very good, i dont think Bart was as good last year as he was the year before.

While I agree, i would argue that Robocop was better in the air, better at defending space, and better awareness on transition.  Bart was exceptional in one on one battles, and chasing down opponents.

Robocop was a better overall player in the last 5-7 games.

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

And don't give me overall passing stats because most of Bart's passes were less than 10 metres sideways or backwards.

According to who? You?

You make me laugh. As if your opinion has more authority than anyone else's here.

While I agree, i would argue that Robocop was better in the air, better at defending space, and better awareness on transition.  Bart was exceptional in one on one battles, and chasing down opponents.

This discussion is touching delusional from your side Playmaker.  You keep going on about some random passing stats, clearly you have no eye anything further than that. Just to name a few other aspects of our game and how players are rated - goals, assists, turnovers, own goals, positioning, clearances/tackles with possession.

Both players are respectively 27 and 28. It’s not hard to see who has the upper hand, just put the resumes next to each other - I guess the football world is wrong, because you have some random passing stats. 

I do respect the discussion and the debate, don’t get me wrong!

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

According to who? You?

My opinion matters no more or less than anyone's. But perhaps knowing that Delbridge missed 2 of the last 7 games would be beneficial in making judgements over who was best over the last 7 rounds. Or knowing that the last time Delbridge played an aleague game at centre back was in round 18. He played left back next to Good. Is it any wonder that the way he plays will be different to Bort. Is it any surprise then that more of Delbridges stats have forward passes than Bort? 

And you'd be hard pressed to find games where he hit his mark on long balls. It was so blatantly obvious but if you're not aware of the points I made above which can easily be read in black and white on any aleague stats website then how could you be expected to read into the most obvious errors of a player. 

The rest of his game was a stand out and he was easily the most improved player last season. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably an unpopular opinion but Big Boy Haz has been bang average this season without Bart beside him. Last season he was making big tackles, winning everything in the air and was able to carry the ball and play out from defence. Now he looks like Bambi on Ice whenever the ball is near him. The first goal on Friday should've been Bouzanis' to claim but Haz should've positioned himself so he could win the header instead of taking the easy option to avoid contact if Bouzanis came to collect. I'd prefer a Good-Windbichler partnership next weekend, then we can use Haz as a plan B up top if we need to dump the ball long late on.

18 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but Big Boy Haz has been bang average this season without Bart beside him. Last season he was making big tackles, winning everything in the air and was able to carry the ball and play out from defence. Now he looks like Bambi on Ice whenever the ball is near him. The first goal on Friday should've been Bouzanis' to claim but Haz should've positioned himself so he could win the header instead of taking the easy option to avoid contact if Bouzanis came to collect. I'd prefer a Good-Windbichler partnership next weekend, then we can use Haz as a plan B up top if we need to dump the ball long late on.

I think this comes down to a change in role. When it was Haz and Bart, Bart was the one who was expected to chase and close players down. With Bart gone it appears that Haz is the one doing this more.

Ordinary this season. Getting beaten on the ground and in the air. Watching him closely he gets confused as to where he should be positioning himself. The big question is, was last season his normal or is this season his normal? Last season he was very good, but it’s a big drop. Time will tell what his real level is and what we should expect.

One thing is for sure, Bart has been the best defender this league has seen, so playing next to him helps a lot. 

9 hours ago, Harrison said:

Ordinary this season. Getting beaten on the ground and in the air. Watching him closely he gets confused as to where he should be positioning himself. The big question is, was last season his normal or is this season his normal? Last season he was very good, but it’s a big drop. Time will tell what his real level is and what we should expect.

One thing is for sure, Bart has been the best defender this league has seen, so playing next to him helps a lot. 

This is strictly my personal opinion, so Delbo fanboys please be easy on me.

He’s peaked last season, this season and his first season with us are were his real level sits. Good squad player still but I don’t buy in the hype. At 27 with his physique there’s going to be very little room for development.

I analyse players carefully on balls skills and positioning. Some appreciate the large lunge tackles or forward headers which we mostly turnover but most of the time this is due to bad initial timing or positioning. Unless you are a Jaap Stam or Materazzi, 80% of the good defenders don’t need this. Look at Schenkeveld or a talent like DeLigt, VanDijk or even more locally in Wilkinson they manage to break the play with agility and good positioning.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

I'm reluctant to blame individual players - except Bouzanis, who I think just isn't up to it - I think we were poorly set up against Perth and had the wrong game plan. Why on earth we were playing long high balls to Maclaren is beyond me, and when we persisted with that tactic after conceding a soft goal we were never likely to get anything out of the match. I thought the coaching against Perth was every bit as bad as what we saw under Joyce, and didn't seem consistent with any of the principles espoused by Mombaerts. I still don't understand WTF we thought we were doing.

I don't think we should be taking it out on Delbridge when IMO it was Mombaerts who got it all wrong.

• Like 1