Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Reading the early pages of this thread where everyone was convinced he was an absolute plodder says a lot about how good we are at judging players abilities, I think. 

Really happy Delbo has kicked on, he's looked really solid this year. 

Who else has made this impressive a rise in abilities though at MCFC? 

In part I think his pairing with the best CB in the league has played a huge part in this. For one just learning the technical side of things is one thing, but the subtle yet important game statistics where Bart will have compensated for the degrees of difference between the two. Match that with so many positive attributes Delbo does have (age, height, fitness, positive character etc.) We are onto a good thing. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Interesting to take note that his old club FC Cincinnati, are now in their first season of MLS. Considering he was one of their better players (won a few awards from memory), most likely if BigBoy Haz wasn't with us, he would be playing in the MLS.

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Interesting to take note that his old club FC Cincinnati, are now in their first season of MLS. Considering he was one of their better players (won a few awards from memory), most likely if BigBoy Haz wasn't with us, he would be playing in the MLS.

Might not have played any minutes though. Probably strengthened their squad when they went up. 

He’s seriously improved this year. It’s a shame that we’ve had no consistency in our shape and personnel at the back. Constantly shifting between three, four and five at the back, using Delbridge as a FB etc.

I feel like it was a missed opportunity to develop his and Bart’s partnership. Could’ve become the best defensive partnership in the league. Looked like it at one point. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Might not have played any minutes though. Probably strengthened their squad when they went up. 

He’s seriously improved this year. It’s a shame that we’ve had no consistency in our shape and personnel at the back. Constantly shifting between three, four and five at the back, using Delbridge as a FB etc.

I feel like it was a missed opportunity to develop his and Bart’s partnership. Could’ve become the best defensive partnership in the league. Looked like it at one point. 

I'd rate Delbo as our most improved player this season. A few blunders, yes, but he's saved our arse so many times that the ledger is firmly on his side. Great partnership with Bart, and I hope we see the pair of them again next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'd rate Delbo as our most improved player this season. A few blunders, yes, but he's saved our arse so many times that the ledger is firmly on his side. Great partnership with Bart, and I hope we see the pair of them again next season.

I thought it was rumored he is heading back to Europe along with De Laet?

The partnership between him and Bart was super, the only reason he got moved was due to our inability to have a balanced squad and having no cover at LB at all, and when Atkinson left for national duty there wasn't really a back up RB

Out of the 4 CB we have, he is the only one who can move out wide. I'm not saying he is great at it, but he does an acceptable job, where I don't think good or larocca would 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, neio said:

The partnership between him and Bart was super, the only reason he got moved was due to our inability to have a balanced squad and having no cover at LB at all, and when Atkinson left for national duty there wasn't really a back up RB

Out of the 4 CB we have, he is the only one who can move out wide. I'm not saying he is great at it, but he does an acceptable job, where I don't think good or larocca would 

That’s why a player like Galloway would be perfect. He’s able to cover both positions and he wouldn’t break the bank. 

Frees up Delbridge to focus on his best position. That shouldn’t be an issue next season, even if Joyce is in charge. I have a feeling we will build a better balanced squad. 

15 minutes ago, moops said:

He's been seriously impressive this season, I had my doubts about him, but he has proven me wrong, I hope he stays.

I would say our best scouted player. Top bloke too. Surely there must be more pseudo-aussies abroad playing with potential who may be lured with an opportunity back in Aus?

Edited by JMSTEP123
  • Like 1

I’m not saying this will happen but does anyone else think Delbridge is a future captain? 

Big, commanding Australian CB who is one of the better defenders in the league, coming into his prime and wanting to enter the frame for a Socceroos call-up. Plus he has a really impressive work ethic and doesn’t shy away from contact. 

Seems like the perfect candidate to lead the club. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I’m not saying this will happen but does anyone else think Delbridge is a future captain? 

Big, commanding Australian CB who is one of the better defenders in the league, coming into his prime and wanting to enter the frame for a Socceroos call-up. Plus he has a really impressive work ethic and doesn’t shy away from contact. 

Not sure TBH. Giving the captaincy to Bruno spoiled his season. Sometimes it's better to leave a good player such as Delbo alone to focus on his game rather than get involved in captaincy issues. I feel Jamieson handles it quite well and we conducted ourselves well this season in that respect.

I know you refer to "future captain" but I wouldn't want to replace Jamieson while he's still with the club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not sure TBH. Giving the captaincy to Bruno spoiled his season. Sometimes it's better to leave a good player such as Delbo alone to focus on his game rather than get involved in captaincy issues. I feel Jamieson handles it quite well and we conducted ourselves well this season in that respect.

I know you refer to "future captain" but I wouldn't want to replace Jamieson while he's still with the club.

I’m thinking 2020/21. 

Jamieson is fine for now and represents the club well off-field but Delbridge is proper captain material IMO. 

I don’t think it would affect him at all. In fact I think it would raise his game. Strikes me as the type of bloke who is a born leader. 

5 hours ago, Harrison said:

I’m thinking 2020/21. 

Jamieson is fine for now and represents the club well off-field but Delbridge is proper captain material IMO. 

I don’t think it would affect him at all. In fact I think it would raise his game. Strikes me as the type of bloke who is a born leader. 

Only trepidation around Delbridge is that he doesn't strike me as a very commanding presence on-field, and I feel like thats important for a captain. And I mean he is 27, so I couldn't see that changing too much at this point.

12 hours ago, Harrison said:

On 03/12/2018 at 9:57 PM, malloy said:

He will captain the club. Just you wait....

Just gonna leave this here..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

The most surprising development from big Harrison was that he seemed to, kinda out of nowhere, develop the ability to cross the ball (at least at times). 

Isn't that what "training" is supposed to be about? Football is not just about physical fitness - it's also about teaching yourself how to do with the ball what you want it to do.

• 4 months later...

This is a massive season for Delbo, his improvement was huge last season but he was playing second fiddle to Bart. Now you could argue that this is his defense to arrange and marshall. If he continues to improve with the added responsibility, there is no reason why at his age and athletic ability he couldn't be a future socceroo or find himself a very nice overseas deal 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

With all respect to Delbridge but you really struggle to comprehend the sport and recognise quality. 

At this stage of the year everyone is talking crap and voicing their 'expert' opinions. I just think my opinions and dribble are correct, so give it time mate.

When we have smashed the opposition by April and clearly dominant you will be singing a different tune.

If Mombaets does what I say he should with the list we have, we will win everything.

If he doesn't then so be it and we will fail.

Am I right? Who knows. But time will reveal all truth.

Will it matter who is right and who is wrong? Nope because this time next year we will all be talking the same crap again.

21 hours ago, playmaker said:

At this stage of the year everyone is talking crap and voicing their 'expert' opinions. I just think my opinions and dribble are correct, so give it time mate.

When we have smashed the opposition by April and clearly dominant you will be singing a different tune.

I’ve seen Bart play in Holland and here in Australia, Delbridge needs to show a little more to be at that same level and not just one game - surely you can see that right? Bart is technically a better footballer, and come on man how many times did he save our ass last season. They are different players, let’s just say we appreciate a different players and we have an eye for different football skills. You also dribble that it was Bart’s idea to play a possession whilst we all agree that WJ had it wrong.

And what different tune? Let’s talk again when Delbridge earns himself contract in Europe with a proper team?

Edited by Mr MO

5 hours ago, playmaker said:

Don't care. All I care about is us winning the league and playing in Asia.  The rest is just noise.

It's a team game.

Love how you just bring up rubbish about players and then dismiss the discussion, the discussions you started yourself. Unless you are talking to yourself on this forum.

and you do care, very much actually because it’s not the first time you’ve brought up the baseless statement that Delbridge is much better than Schenkeveld.

• Like 1