Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

13 minutes ago, citymad said:

Metcalfe usually plays as an 8 or 10. 

Cheers.

I'll admit I dont watch youth games, but it is frustrating that every source online (including the City site) says he is a defender/CB

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The confusion over Conor Metcalfe is understandable. The club web-site has him listed as a "defender."

As I mentioned above, I could not find anywhere online that says he wasnt a defender

Edit: Adding to that, I see Galekovic is also listed as a Youth keeper

Edited by haz

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My concern about Delbridge is whether he is even good enough to sit on the pine.

All indications so far suggest that he isn't.

WJ slowly giving him less time and in the end not even in the squad last season also suggests the same.

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My concern about Delbridge is whether he is even good enough to sit on the pine.

All indications so far suggest that he isn't.

I suggest that he's a player who you have on the list on the basic wage that you don't expect to have to use too often.

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I suggest that he's a player who you have on the list on the basic wage that you don't expect to have to use too often.

But these are the type of spots that should be given to youth and not being occupied by senior players.

13 minutes ago, moops said:

That could be easily filled by young Graham

Agree.

32 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

WJ slowly giving him less time and in the end not even in the squad last season also suggests the same.

He was a Wazza signing no?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, haz said:

Delbridge is a 26 year old Australian. I think there shouldn't be any complaining about him taking a potential youth spot on the bench

Who looked the better player to you, Delbridge, or Graham?

Who seems to have the better potential, skill wise and ROI?

If he is just there to fill in the numbers, I think it's a bit silly as he is taking away funds from a potentially better player we may have been able to sign, it all adds up in the end.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

He was a Wazza signing no?

He was signed in November 2017 and IMO that makes him fairly and squarely a Joyce signing. Although I can't believe he would have ever seen him play. I would have thought we could have got someone better as a "Mature-Aged Rookie" who would be outside the cap. But he is now on our books until the end of the 2019/20 season.

Just another City puzzle!

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, haz said:

Can BigBoyHaz get some love for how much he has improved since last season?

Might of had a goal last night too if Wales didn't steal a header from him.

Yep last season he was unbelievably shit this season he's just shit. It's time we started paying some respect to the panel beater BBH. And how lucky are we signed until 2022. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AXIOM said:

Yep last season he was unbelievably shit this season he's just shit. It's time we started paying some respect to the panel beater BBH. And how lucky are we signed until 2022. 

You are very harsh. He's actually on the MOTM leaderboard.

More than can be said for Bruno and Brattan - and a few more.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You are very harsh. He's actually on the MOTM leaderboard.

More than can be said for Bruno and Brattan - and a few more.

Sorry I just don't rate him as a CB that will us win a championship. 

It's also fair to say that most of the lads have been under par. Let's start asking why are these players not performing?

I think he has been pretty solid, they said last night on fox that he is number 1 in league for winning headers in duels. I know being 6ft5 helps, but still pretty reasonable start to season. 

He probably isn't ever going to be a star but I think we have bigger problems than him at the moment and he deserves his starting spot at the moment 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If there was a most improved player for the league, this guy wins it

Last season he was a liability in the games he played. Now he is putting in MOTM performances at right back

Won't at all be surprised if he gets offers from Asia in coming 12 months, they love big defenders who are good in the air (eg oganovski, mrcela, Wilkinson) 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, neio said:

If there was a most improved player for the league, this guy wins it

Last season he was a liability in the games he played. Now he is putting in MOTM performances at right back

Won't at all be surprised if he gets offers from Asia in coming 12 months, they love big defenders who are good in the air (eg oganovski, mrcela, Wilkinson) 

And let's acknowledge that it was Wazza who had faith in him and brought him on. Just as Wazza's management has turned both Brattan and Malik into decent players. Not everything he's done has been questionable. 

50 minutes ago, playmaker said:

What are you talking about?

They have always been decent players.

They both hold multiple titles.

:droy:

But both played well below their potential under JVS. I remember. I was there. And I remember the incessant criticism of both on this forum. Yes, they were both highly regarded before they came to us. They've only fulfilled their potential with us once Wazza came on the scene. 

36 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

You guys were way too quick to judge Delly last year. Got to have a decent look to assess a footballer properly. Just saying.

Wazza has done what a good manager should though in regards to him. 

Worth listening to Joyce's post-match presser. He mentions several players on the minimum wage (Wales, Good, Delbridge I remember). He has a high regard for Delbridge, saying that if he was asked to play in goal he would and he'd give it everything he has.

I'm going to have to watch myself. More and more I'm agreeing with Joyce's post-match assessment of the match...if this continues, soon I won't be able to find anything to moan about....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Worth listening to Joyce's post-match presser. He mentions several players on the minimum wage (Wales, Good, Delbridge I remember). He has a high regard for Delbridge, saying that if he was asked to play in goal he would and he'd give it everything he has.

I'm going to have to watch myself. More and more I'm agreeing with Joyce's post-match assessment of the match...if this continues, soon I won't be able to find anything to moan about....

It's easy do after a win.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very pleased for this bloke. 

He had an awful debut season but credit to him, he’s improved out of sight and is now one of the better defenders in the competition. He’s now timing his tackles really well and looks rock solid. 

He’s an integral part of a defence that has conceded the fewest goals this season. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Harrison said:

Very pleased for this bloke. 

He had an awful debut season but credit to him, he’s improved out of sight and is now one of the better defenders in the competition. He’s now timing his tackles really well and looks rock solid. 

He’s an integral part of a defence that has conceded the fewest goals this season. 

Apart from himself obviously but Joyce deserves credit for picking him. Mind you Bart carried him for a while but as has been said in the last 6 games or so he could be one of the best performing defenders in the League. 

He just needs a couple goals to complete the transformation. 

9 hours ago, Jovan said:

Apart from himself obviously but Joyce deserves credit for picking him. Mind you Bart carried him for a while but as has been said in the last 6 games or so he could be one of the best performing defenders in the League. 

He just needs a couple goals to complete the transformation. 

He gets about 2 chances per game (which Imo is pretty good for a CB). If he improves his heading accuracy he'll get on the score sheet in no time

• Like 1