Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

33 minutes ago, Embee said:

Furthermore, Tongyik was nowhere near as good as some on here were making out in my opinion. He's certainly very skilled in possession but his positioning and general defensive awareness needed a lot of work.

Agree with this and @rass's comment above on my post. Tongyik not there yet, needs to improve  but appears to have the attributes and potential to do that. That was really my question above: Joyce must have been convinced that Delbridge was both: better than Tongyik; and ready to go; to have brought him into the club in the first place. I hope we give Tongyik further opportunities this year and extended his contract. But then I am all for #yoof

Edited by Tangerine

3 hours ago, Embee said:

Furthermore, Tongyik was nowhere near as good as some on here were making out in my opinion. He's certainly very skilled in possession but his positioning and general defensive awareness needed a lot of work.

Agree, but he's now had an extra season of maturity as well as Bort or Jakobson to play next to, I'd expect him to be better than he was, certainly no worse than Delbridge

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I seriously don't know how you can make an assessment on Delbridge's ability as of yet.

His youtube clips look awesome.

I've qualified it by saying 'from what we have seen'. He's not obviously a level above like Bort is. This may change of course

Just now, bt50 said:

Everyone's Youtube clips look awesome...

Even Michael Mifsud

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

To think he joined the A-League in order to be a WC contender. I think I remember reading something about that being a factor when he signed.

Well, hopefully, he does become a serious contender for the Socceroos. He has a bit of a way to go

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The real question is, has big boy overtaken Malik as the popular forum whipping boy?

I thought Joyce just got his team selections the wrong way around. He plays Schenkeveld and Malik against Kerala, and then Delbridge and 17-y-o Mitch Graham against Girona. That's just asking for trouble.

IMO every so often Joyce just makes a complete stuff-up. He did it at the start of last season with his non-substitutions, and again against Wellington in Rd. 27.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I thought Joyce just got his team selections the wrong way around. He plays Schenkeveld and Malik against Kerala, and then Delbridge and 17-y-o Mitch Graham against Girona. That's just asking for trouble.

IMO every so often Joyce just makes a complete stuff-up. He did it at the start of last season with his non-substitutions, and again against Wellington in Rd. 27.

It was a pre-season game, so I dont have too much blame.

Honestly we might of just been throwing them in the deep-end to see their limits

And god-forbid that Bort hasnt picked up an injury

Edited by haz

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Based on last season I'm still not convinced on Joyce. He made some blatantly wrong decisions (IMO) but he also made some real winning moves. Overall I'm 50/50. 

I'm really interested to see what we produce in the cup game everything else is really of little relevance to me.

I'm still hopeful that Delbridge can become the player we hoped. He's settled now, will have a pre-season with the team and doesn't have any excuses. 

I think if he is battling it out for the third spot with La Rocca and Malik then we'll be ok, provided Bort stays fit and our signing is competent. 

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

I'm still hopeful that Delbridge can become the player we hoped. He's settled now, will have a pre-season with the team and doesn't have any excuses. 

I think if he is battling it out for the third spot with La Rocca and Malik then we'll be ok, provided Bort stays fit and our signing is competent. 

Dont forget Rostyn true no.6 but could easily slot into CB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AXIOM said:

Dont forget Rostyn true no.6 but could easily slot into CB

Good point this.

People in our squad who can play CB are:

• Schenkeveld
  • Delbridge
  • La Rocca
  • Malik (CDM)
  • Griffiths (CDM)
  • Metcalfe (Y)
  • Graham (Y)

I hope we sign a VISA CB  (@ABC123 was our potential Senegal signing a defender?), but I have a niggling feeling that due to Wazza's Malik crush, we will see both Griffiths and Malik in the XI with one a CB and the other as a CDM. I guess that would leave our 2 VISA spots (if we use both!) as a winger and a CAM/CF.

@ABC123

Edited by haz

58 minutes ago, haz said:

Good point this.

People in our squad who can play CB are:

• Schenkeveld
  • Delbridge
  • La Rocca
  • Malik (CDM)
  • Griffiths (CDM)
  • Metcalfe (Y)
  • Graham (Y)

I hope we sign a VISA CB  (@ABC123 was our potential Senegal signing a defender?), but I have a niggling feeling that due to Wazza's Malik crush, we will see both Griffiths and Malik in the XI with one a CB and the other as a CDM. I guess that would leave our 2 VISA spots (if we use both!) as a winger and a CAM/CF.

@ABC123

Take Metcalfe out of that list never been or played as a CB

• Thanks 1