Melbourne Football

Harrison Delbridge

Forever City

9 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Melbourne City FC have signed 25 year old Australian born defender Harrison Delbridge from FC Cincinnati.

He will be available for selection in January 2018 when the transfer window opens 

3 year contract. Bold move. Someone's going to go - Muscat?

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Can't see why it would be Muscat. More likely Tongyik is seeking to go elsewhere for better opportunity.

@bt50 Can we do that? Tongyik is one of the three nominated youth players in the seniors isn't he? I'm not sure how we could handle it with contracts and the salary cap.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 Can we do that? Tongyik is one of the three nominated youth players in the seniors isn't he? I'm not sure how we could handle it with contracts and the salary cap.

I thought the nominated youth players was replaced with the six scholarship thing? Either way not sure the signing particularly makes sense at this point in time, but he certainly looks as though he can play. Perhaps the view is to play him at CB and Jako to continue at DM? Time will tell.

He played against some MLS teams in the 2017 US Open Cup as Cincinnati went as far as the semi-finals before elimination by NY Red Bulls. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup

I'm always optimistic about these types of signings. Let's hope he works hard, plays for the shirt and becomes a solid defender for us.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He played against some MLS teams in the 2017 US Open Cup as Cincinnati went as far as the semi-finals before elimination by NY Red Bulls. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup

I'm always optimistic about these types of signings. Let's hope he works hard, plays for the shirt and becomes a solid defender for us.

Well if he says he wants to be a Socceroo then he won't be here for a Holiday.

9 minutes ago, citymad said:

this will spell exits for Tongyik and muscat. joyce obviously loves Malik so he will be fine. 

Not sure about Muscat but Tongyik really hasn't had a sniff after last season getting a decent run. 

I think Muscat will see out his contract and has been servicable but could drop down the pecking order. I was hoping that Dylan boy would get a look but he is still young.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

I thought the nominated youth players was replaced with the six scholarship thing? Either way not sure the signing particularly makes sense at this point in time, but he certainly looks as though he can play. Perhaps the view is to play him at CB and Jako to continue at DM? Time will tell.

@bt50 This is what the A-League web-site says at https://www.a-league.com.au/salary-cap-system

"At all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have:

• a minimum of 20 Players;
  • a maximum of 23 Players;
  • a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
  • a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under;
  • and a maximum of five foreign players.

Guest Players, Designated Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Players on a Club’s Foxtel Y-League Player Roster, including Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the Hyundai A-League."

It's unclear to me now which three players we have nominated to meet the requirements. Arzani must be one.
See also https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-adds-scholarship-players-roberts-metcalfe-and-najjarine-a-league-squad

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neio said:

I could be wrong but I believe the youth players are arzani, tongyik and genreau

A mystery one for me is Josh Cavallo. He's listed on the club web-site, but I can't find any reference to what his status is.

The six scholarship players are Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine and Roberts.

Crowley, Tongyik and Arzani are the mandatory youth players. Their wages come within the salary cap. The scholarship players are outside the cap (Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine and Roberts). Rumour has it that some of these scholarship players will get elevated to full contracts when the January shake up occurs. There are two cavallo's at the club, Joshua Cavallo is, from what i have heard, getting a scholarship contact. so that may happen when one of the other 6 get a full contract. I reckon some of those young lads who were getting A league time last year, including Arzani and Tongyik, will look to move on in the January transfer window. Brandan will go and i reckon kilkenny will go too. joyce wants big strong tall players with experience. fast players upfront. no ball playing midfielders required. Carusca will sit on the bench all season. 

i like the look of this Delbridge. He is massive and can play. He will replace Iacopo Larocca in January. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 This is what the A-League web-site says at https://www.a-league.com.au/salary-cap-system

"At all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have:

• a minimum of 20 Players;
  • a maximum of 23 Players;
  • a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
  • a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under;
  • and a maximum of five foreign players.

Guest Players, Designated Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Players on a Club’s Foxtel Y-League Player Roster, including Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the Hyundai A-League."

It's unclear to me now which three players we have nominated to meet the requirements. Arzani must be one.
See also https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-adds-scholarship-players-roberts-metcalfe-and-najjarine-a-league-squad

Fair enough. In either case im sure you could just promote a young player into one of those positions if Tongyik for instance decided to leave

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Does he fit mature age rookie?

No.

"Clubs can pay a Mature Age Rookie outside the Salary Cap to encourage talented players in the National Premier Leagues. This player must be over the age of 21, not played in a fully professional competition for the last 18 months and last played football in Australia. This player must be paid at least the Minimum Salary."

1 hour ago, citymad said:

Crowley, Tongyik and Arzani are the mandatory youth players. Their wages come within the salary cap. The scholarship players are outside the cap (Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine and Roberts). Rumour has it that some of these scholarship players will get elevated to full contracts when the January shake up occurs. There are two cavallo's at the club, Joshua Cavallo is, from what i have heard, getting a scholarship contact. so that may happen when one of the other 6 get a full contract. I reckon some of those young lads who were getting A league time last year, including Arzani and Tongyik, will look to move on in the January transfer window. Brandan will go and i reckon kilkenny will go too. joyce wants big strong tall players with experience. fast players upfront. no ball playing midfielders required. Carusca will sit on the bench all season. 

i like the look of this Delbridge. He is massive and can play. He will replace Iacopo Larocca in January. 

@Dylan do your thing.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jovan said:

@Dylan do your thing.

@Dylan

2 hours ago, citymad said:

• Like 1