Jump to content
Melbourne Football
Forever City

Harrison Delbridge

Recommended Posts

Melbourne City FC have signed 25 year old Australian born defender Harrison Delbridge from FC Cincinnati on a three-year contract.

He will be available for selection in January 2018 when the transfer window opens 

Edited by Forever City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Melbourne City FC have signed 25 year old Australian born defender Harrison Delbridge from FC Cincinnati.

He will be available for selection in January 2018 when the transfer window opens 

3 year contract. Bold move. Someone's going to go - Muscat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

3 year contract. Bold move. Someone's going to go - Muscat?

Can't see why it would be Muscat. More likely Tongyik is seeking to go elsewhere for better opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Can't see why it would be Muscat. More likely Tongyik is seeking to go elsewhere for better opportunity.

@bt50 Can we do that? Tongyik is one of the three nominated youth players in the seniors isn't he? I'm not sure how we could handle it with contracts and the salary cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 Can we do that? Tongyik is one of the three nominated youth players in the seniors isn't he? I'm not sure how we could handle it with contracts and the salary cap.

I thought the nominated youth players was replaced with the six scholarship thing? Either way not sure the signing particularly makes sense at this point in time, but he certainly looks as though he can play. Perhaps the view is to play him at CB and Jako to continue at DM? Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool Name

 

Also who first started the rumour about us signing another defender from America like 3 months ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He played against some MLS teams in the 2017 US Open Cup as Cincinnati went as far as the semi-finals before elimination by NY Red Bulls. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup

I'm always optimistic about these types of signings. Let's hope he works hard, plays for the shirt and becomes a solid defender for us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He played against some MLS teams in the 2017 US Open Cup as Cincinnati went as far as the semi-finals before elimination by NY Red Bulls. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup

I'm always optimistic about these types of signings. Let's hope he works hard, plays for the shirt and becomes a solid defender for us.

Well if he says he wants to be a Socceroo then he won't be here for a Holiday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, citymad said:

this will spell exits for Tongyik and muscat. joyce obviously loves Malik so he will be fine. 

Not sure about Muscat but Tongyik really hasn't had a sniff after last season getting a decent run. 

I think Muscat will see out his contract and has been servicable but could drop down the pecking order. I was hoping that Dylan boy would get a look but he is still young.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Sure as eggs is eggs there are going to be departures. I guess time will tell who.  Certainly not the end of the changes, that's for sure.

Valkanis is just the beginning

@jw1739made mention way back about the assistants being not up to the job, during the preseason games 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atleast he's not a visa. Meaning for now Brandan is safe, I wouldn't say the same for Muscat, Tongyik, Kilkenny though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bt50 said:

I thought the nominated youth players was replaced with the six scholarship thing? Either way not sure the signing particularly makes sense at this point in time, but he certainly looks as though he can play. Perhaps the view is to play him at CB and Jako to continue at DM? Time will tell.

@bt50 This is what the A-League web-site says at https://www.a-league.com.au/salary-cap-system

"At all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have:

  • a minimum of 20 Players;
  • a maximum of 23 Players;
  • a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
  • a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under;
  • and a maximum of five foreign players.

Guest Players, Designated Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Players on a Club’s Foxtel Y-League Player Roster, including Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the Hyundai A-League."

It's unclear to me now which three players we have nominated to meet the requirements. Arzani must be one.
See also https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-adds-scholarship-players-roberts-metcalfe-and-najjarine-a-league-squad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, neio said:

I could be wrong but I believe the youth players are arzani, tongyik and genreau

A mystery one for me is Josh Cavallo. He's listed on the club web-site, but I can't find any reference to what his status is.

The six scholarship players are Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine and Roberts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crowley, Tongyik and Arzani are the mandatory youth players. Their wages come within the salary cap. The scholarship players are outside the cap (Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine and Roberts). Rumour has it that some of these scholarship players will get elevated to full contracts when the January shake up occurs. There are two cavallo's at the club, Joshua Cavallo is, from what i have heard, getting a scholarship contact. so that may happen when one of the other 6 get a full contract. I reckon some of those young lads who were getting A league time last year, including Arzani and Tongyik, will look to move on in the January transfer window. Brandan will go and i reckon kilkenny will go too. joyce wants big strong tall players with experience. fast players upfront. no ball playing midfielders required. Carusca will sit on the bench all season. 

i like the look of this Delbridge. He is massive and can play. He will replace Iacopo Larocca in January. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, japiedog said:

mmm...

Can he play as a # 10 ????

 

Of course he can, Fitzy can play as a fullback and Jakobsen can play as a fullback or midfielder as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Of course he can, Fitzy can play as a fullback and Jakobsen can play as a fullback or midfielder as well

And we're bringing back that left back we used to have Iain Ramsay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 This is what the A-League web-site says at https://www.a-league.com.au/salary-cap-system

"At all times during the Season, a Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster must have:

  • a minimum of 20 Players;
  • a maximum of 23 Players;
  • a minimum of 2 Goalkeepers;
  • a minimum of 3 Australian Players aged 20 or under;
  • and a maximum of five foreign players.

Guest Players, Designated Players and Mature Age Rookie Players sit outside the Club’s Hyundai A-League Player Roster. Players on a Club’s Foxtel Y-League Player Roster, including Scholarship Players, are also eligible to participate in the Hyundai A-League."

It's unclear to me now which three players we have nominated to meet the requirements. Arzani must be one.
See also https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-adds-scholarship-players-roberts-metcalfe-and-najjarine-a-league-squad

Fair enough. In either case im sure you could just promote a young player into one of those positions if Tongyik for instance decided to leave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I'm a bit surprised he was given a 3 year deal. That's quite a commitment to a player who is untried at this level but is already 25. It will be very interesting to see how he performs

Does he fit mature age rookie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Does he fit mature age rookie?

No.

"Clubs can pay a Mature Age Rookie outside the Salary Cap to encourage talented players in the National Premier Leagues. This player must be over the age of 21, not played in a fully professional competition for the last 18 months and last played football in Australia. This player must be paid at least the Minimum Salary."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, citymad said:

Crowley, Tongyik and Arzani are the mandatory youth players. Their wages come within the salary cap. The scholarship players are outside the cap (Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine and Roberts). Rumour has it that some of these scholarship players will get elevated to full contracts when the January shake up occurs. There are two cavallo's at the club, Joshua Cavallo is, from what i have heard, getting a scholarship contact. so that may happen when one of the other 6 get a full contract. I reckon some of those young lads who were getting A league time last year, including Arzani and Tongyik, will look to move on in the January transfer window. Brandan will go and i reckon kilkenny will go too. joyce wants big strong tall players with experience. fast players upfront. no ball playing midfielders required. Carusca will sit on the bench all season. 

i like the look of this Delbridge. He is massive and can play. He will replace Iacopo Larocca in January. 

@Dylan do your thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jovan said:

@Dylan do your thing.

@Dylan

 

2 hours ago, citymad said:

Crowley, Tongyik and Arzani are the mandatory youth players. Their wages come within the salary cap. The scholarship players are outside the cap (Delianov, Pierias, Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine and Roberts). Rumour has it that some of these scholarship players will get elevated to full contracts when the January shake up occurs. There are two cavallo's at the club, Joshua Cavallo is, from what i have heard, getting a scholarship contact. so that may happen when one of the other 6 get a full contract. I reckon some of those young lads who were getting A league time last year, including Arzani and Tongyik, will look to move on in the January transfer window. Brandan will go and i reckon kilkenny will go too. joyce wants big strong tall players with experience. fast players upfront. no ball playing midfielders required. Carusca will sit on the bench all season. 

i like the look of this Delbridge. He is massive and can play. He will replace Iacopo Larocca in January. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how do people know Delbridge can play when looking at you tube clips? 

I bet he has scored against Manchester United too

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...