Melbourne Football

Rd. 9, Sat 2 Dec, vs. Newcastle, away

jw1739

3 hours ago, rass said:

I don't believe it is actually, but you go with it if it makes you feel better.

Btw, he dropped about 8kgs to get himself fit for this season. You need to be pretty lazy to do that.

Being a fat pro footballer in the first place is another definition of laziness. Hardworking footballer monitors his weight himself and doesn't wait to be told. Look at Bruno for example.

Edited by MXG

12 hours ago, rass said:

I don't believe it is actually, but you go with it if it makes you feel better.

Btw, he dropped about 8kgs to get himself fit for this season. You need to be pretty lazy to do that.

A couple of alternatives:

1. He is not lazy but the standard has passed him by. Since I started following the A-League I have seen players "form" drop off but in reality they are the same, it's just that the game has left them behind.

2. He may not be physically lazy but mentally so.

15 hours ago, NewConvert said:

A couple of alternatives:

1. He is not lazy but the standard has passed him by. Since I started following the A-League I have seen players "form" drop off but in reality they are the same, it's just that the game has left them behind.

2. He may not be physically lazy but mentally so.

I can agree with that. I remember on preseason when he was substituted after a shitty performance, he was really frustrated, almost cried. Obviously, he was not substituted because of performance, it's just a preseason. So, may be he's trying but simply is not good enough. Although, his laziness, mental or physical, definitely plays a part.

Anyway, if he was dispatched in January, I would not be sorry.

24 minutes ago, MXG said:

I can agree with that. I remember on preseason when he was substituted after a shitty performance, he was really frustrated, almost cried. Obviously, he was not substituted because of performance, it's just a preseason. So, may be he's trying but simply is not good enough. Although, his laziness, mental or physical, definitely plays a part...

Have to bite here...

So he's trying yet not good enough, because he's lazy?

Do you actually see what you're writing here?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MXG said:

I can agree with that. I remember on preseason when he was substituted after a shitty performance, he was really frustrated, almost cried. Obviously, he was not substituted because of performance, it's just a preseason. So, may be he's trying but simply is not good enough. Although, his laziness, mental or physical, definitely plays a part.

Anyway, if he was dispatched in January, I would not be sorry.

I would be. IMO Brattan has a lot to offer. It's fairly clear that the club has been in turmoil behind the scenes for the past few weeks - perhaps longer. Montemurro demoted, Valkanis terminated, Club Captain Cahill terminated by mutual agreement - and that's not an easy environment to be in. Besides, we have to stop this merry-go-round with players and get some stability in the squad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Lets hold our horses a little bit on Brattan.

Still  needs to do a bit more before we can even start throwing out claims like that.

Not saying he is, just saying he is one of the main players distributing the ball efficiently and creating a solid link in attacking transition. He needs to start based on this and to improve team understanding. Not starting him would be a mistake.

On 12/7/2017 at 1:06 PM, rass said:

Have to bite here...

So he's trying yet not good enough, because he's lazy?

Do you actually see what you're writing here?

LOL. OK, will try to dumb it down for you.

1. He is lazy.

2. He is not good enough.

2. When he is pushed he is trying.

Hope this will help.

23 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I would be. IMO Brattan has a lot to offer. It's fairly clear that the club has been in turmoil behind the scenes for the past few weeks - perhaps longer. Montemurro demoted, Valkanis terminated, Club Captain Cahill terminated by mutual agreement - and that's not an easy environment to be in. Besides, we have to stop this merry-go-round with players and get some stability in the squad.

Agree about his potential, he started brightly when he arrived. The problem is he's lost the momentum, complacency was very visible especially last year.

I cannot agree that it is Club's fault though. Look at Mooy, Fitzy. Even Malic and Kamau. They used the opportunity and enhanced. Most of players did. I am sure Brattan had the same level of opportunity.

23 hours ago, playmaker said:

Based on performance Brattan must start as he is fast becoming the engine driving the midfield.

No wonder we have no midfield.

3 hours ago, MXG said:

LOL. OK, will try to dumb it down for you.

1. He is lazy.

2. He is not good enough.

2. When he is pushed he is trying.

Hope this will help.

Thanks mate, that has really helped me...

So 'maybe' he's trying but not good enough but that makes him lazy because he's pushed to try.

He's also a fat pro footballer because he's physically lazy but when he loses weight he's not hard working and mentally lazy.

Totally agree kid, you've really dumbed it down for me 👍

For the record, I'm having a dip at you because once i disagreed with your original opinion, you thought it would be ok to put your words in my mouth on here. Not cool. So instead of following, I'm just listing exactly what you have written, which is fkn ridiculous. 

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rass said:

Thanks mate, that has really helped me...

So 'maybe' he's trying but not good enough but that makes him lazy because he's pushed to try.

He's also a fat pro footballer because he's physically lazy but when he loses weight he's not hard working and mentally lazy.

Totally agree kid, you've really dumbed it down for me 👍

For the record, I'm having a dip at you because once i disagreed with your original opinion, you thought it would be ok to put your words in my mouth on here. Not cool. So instead of following, I'm just listing exactly what you have written, which is fkn ridiculous. 

Pathetic. Putting words into my mouth, is exactly what you are doing. Also pretending you do not understand what is wrong with Brattan in my opinion only.

You are probably also very proud scoring cheap point from a bunch of schoolies here. Bravo.

If you did not understand what was meant in the first/second post (which I do not believe), it's better to clarify, but you've decided to troll instead. Even in quoted post.

Please, stop behaving like this and we might have more productive conversation.

Edited by MXG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MXG said:

Pathetic. Putting words into my mouth, is exactly what you are doing. Also pretending you do not understand what is wrong with Brattan in my opinion only.

You are probably also very proud scoring cheap point from a bunch of schoolies here. Bravo.

If you did not understand what was meant in the first/second post (which I do not believe), it's better to clarify, but you've decided to troll instead. Even in quoted post.

Please, stop behaving like this and we might have more productive conversation.

Ok, I can keep going here but let's put it aside now and get constructive instead.

You're entitled to opinion on Brattan, I just happen to disagree with it. Rather than keep digging and re-justifying myself, I'll tell you what I believe.

I actually think he's not lazy at all and quite like him as a player. I also think he is a hard worker as evidenced by his conditioning this season. I don't see any evidence that he was pushed to try - I believe the whole group has been challenged to get fitter this season by the coach.

He may be ponderous on the ball but i believe that is more a function of our style and structure than himself as a player. I would also put Kilkenny in the same boat. They're not #10 style linking up with the striker type players - they're box to box / defensive type midfielders who need a more creative player in front of them to link with. This is where I believe our main problem is and have crapped on about it for ages now. We were very fortunate (and probably spoiled) to have witnessed Mooy playing (who is creative and can play those diagonal reverse through balls) and linking up with come to me, skillful forwards such as Fornaroli and Novillo. We don't have that player now. IMO, Caceres wasn't the answer and the club lucked out by first Troisi and then that Croat dude changing their minds. I believe Budzinski was a last minute, last one left, pickup that sadly has not worked. Mauk too is not a creative midfielder, rather imo, a defensive forward to who is there chiefly to pressure defences. What that all leaves us with is two quality midfielders who look slow with decision making because they have no-one to link with. Their only other option is to spray long wide balls to Fitzy and Kamau who are good, adept players but also prone to being wasteful. Same with McCormack - he relies on long balls over the top rather than coming and meeting the midfielders (Fornaroli style). Unfortunately for Kilkenny, it seems like he has reacted negatively (attitude) and is in danger now of staying in the squad whereas Brattan is fighting for his position - again this is how i see it.

Rightly or wrongly, Joyce has concentrated on fixing his defence first. This January period provides us with a great opportunity to rectify this problem, however I honestly believe we won't go looking for that creative midfielder, instead I think we'll ditch Budzinski and play Fornaroli and McCormack together. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

I hope that makes sense.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rass said:

Ok, I can keep going here but let's put it aside now and get constructive instead.

You're entitled to opinion on Brattan, I just happen to disagree with it. Rather than keep digging and re-justifying myself, I'll tell you what I believe.

I actually think he's not lazy at all and quite like him as a player. I also think he is a hard worker as evidenced by his conditioning this season. I don't see any evidence that he was pushed to try - I believe the whole group has been challenged to get fitter this season by the coach.

He may be ponderous on the ball but i believe that is more a function of our style and structure than himself as a player. I would also put Kilkenny in the same boat. They're not #10 style linking up with the striker type players - they're box to box / defensive type midfielders who need a more creative player in front of them to link with. This is where I believe our main problem is and have crapped on about it for ages now. We were very fortunate (and probably spoiled) to have witnessed Mooy playing (who is creative and can play those diagonal reverse through balls) and linking up with come to me, skillful forwards such as Fornaroli and Novillo. We don't have that player now. IMO, Caceres wasn't the answer and the club lucked out by first Troisi and then that Croat dude changing their minds. I believe Budzinski was a last minute, last one left, pickup that sadly has not worked. Mauk too is not a creative midfielder, rather imo, a defensive forward to who is there chiefly to pressure defences. What that all leaves us with is two quality midfielders who look slow with decision making because they have no-one to link with. Their only other option is to spray long wide balls to Fitzy and Kamau who are good, adept players but also prone to being wasteful. Same with McCormack - he relies on long balls over the top rather than coming and meeting the midfielders (Fornaroli style). Unfortunately for Kilkenny, it seems like he has reacted negatively (attitude) and is in danger now of staying in the squad whereas Brattan is fighting for his position - again this is how i see it.

Rightly or wrongly, Joyce has concentrated on fixing his defence first. This January period provides us with a great opportunity to rectify this problem, however I honestly believe we won't go looking for that creative midfielder, instead I think we'll ditch Budzinski and play Fornaroli and McCormack together. I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

I hope that makes sense.

So how long have you not liked brattan for?

4 hours ago, rass said:

I hope that makes sense.

We both can keep this rolling forever and I appreciate the will to stop this nonsense.

It certainly makes sense and touches many areas not just Brattan.

First of all agree with creativity issues, in fact one of my posts here was about lack of creativity. It was a post about Mooy actually. He was slow on the ball initially and was pain to watch first games. He became better in several weeks or when Villa departed. Whatever was the reason he became our best asset very quickly.

I do not agree though with Ross characteristics. Yes, he is not the same type as Bruno, but he is not Cahill (pure box poacher) type either. I personally think all 3 are great forwards. Ross does works in the midfield and some of his passes there are Championship level. My impression is that he follows Wazza's instructions more thoroughly then Bruno and it's Wazza's idea for him to stay up all the time. Again in preseason, I witnessed when Joyce screamed to Bruno to stay in the center but Bruno constantly drifted sideways and did not obey. I think they might be very good paired. Ross upfront might give Bruno that edge which was provided by Novillo earlier. But having said this, both Bruno and Ross are slow runners and we need quick alternative there. Hence, young quick forwards are essential.

For the time period I thought Fitzy could be a better version of Novillo - quicker than him naturally and able to cut in and score. Now I just hope he will be. Fitzy is definetelly the most improved player last season. But he regressed sometime around Sydney game. Still manages to make a couple of great crosses in 90 mins which is good, but not good enough. Still think he is a player with one of the best attitude in the team and I am sure he will continue improvement. Kamau started season like a new player but something happened and he is one dimensional again. We do not know exactly what happened and it seemed a lot of bad stuff happened in the Club with Valkanis and Timmy's démarche, potential Killa issues, so I do not blame Bruce and Nick for anything. Attitude is right and result will eventually come for both.

Now coming to the most painful area. Midfield. And here we see our ManCity superstar - Brattan. He was introduced as Mooy replacement in "creative" department, not as defensive mid. Never worked out. I personally never expected him to be as good as Mooy and probably nobody did. He was slow with decisions, many times slow to tackle. Gaps to big for the attacking midfielder. That episode from preseason I mentioned, Wazza constantly screamed to Brattan "tackle, tackle" and one time word to word "too easy" when he was again outplayed. He also sucks most of the time in defense - costed us a goal against Perth is recent example. He definitely played better in smaller areas, but again he was introduced as central attacking option. I prefer Killa or Malik (with all his flaws), even Jako in defensive midfield. I also challenge his professional attitude, he clearly was very comfortable last year and did not maintain himself before preseason. Just remember his "4th month" belly. Now, judging from the glimpse of quality we saw from Brattan, I am sure he can develop his abilities further and he should really take current opportunities to solidify his position. He is most definitively in the "drain list" of the first team regulars. I will be glad to be wrong about any player I consider bad in MCFC squad.

Now it is clear what style Joyce was working on - aggressive football when opposition is suffocated and left with no space. It did work brilliantly against Victory and generally in the start of the season. Our defensive players also mentioned it several times - it is much easier to defend now because defense is starting on the opposition side. That was the reason why Brattan appeared on the bench - simply not suitable for this style. Laziness or natural ability, doesn't matter. I think it's both. I have a feeling that Joyce is sort of stuck with him at the moment - Casseras left, Carrusca injured. So it's basically Brattan or Mauk. Mauk, once my favorite Heart player, is another underachiever. Too much fret with little result. But he is better option to Brattan too. I think if Casseras was around or Carrusca fit having Mauk and either of them would be a good option.

I still do not understand the purpose of Budzik and agree that he was "just to get anything" option. Joyce desperately tries to push the game to the opposition side again, hence we see experiments with Jaco in the midfield. He is putting everything to help midfield.

Do not want to talk much about defense here. It's good. Even Muscut. His attitude is great. He reminds me Murdocca's attitude. Limited talent but hard working. He also had games where his crosses were better then wingers. Hope the goal he scored will give him a boost.

Hope this will help to understand why Brattan is the weakest link in my opinion and is not just a person to blame for everything.

Edited by MXG
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, MXG said:

Hope this will help to understand why Brattan is the weakest link in my opinion and is not just a person to blame for everything.

It's concerning to read that some think that Brattan is our weakest link, whilst we have Malik, Muscat, Kamau and Mauk consistently in our line up. Or do you mean weakest link just in midfield? Regardless of how fat, lazy or slow he is, in my opinion he is a more skillful and complete player than any of the above 4.

I can understand that people are disapointed thinking that Luke was going to be a Mooy replacement, however he was never brought in as a marquee or anything with those qualities.

Rass is 100% correct in saying that Brattan is keeping the ball with him a little longer sometimes as he knows that some hard and quick balls will end up in a turn over as some of our players struggle controlling under pressure or whilst being on pace. Last season he even skipped Bruno and Tim occasionally as in some games their first touch was horrendous. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It's concerning to read that some think that Brattan is our weakest link, whilst we have Malik, Muscat, Kamau and Mauk consistently in our line up. Or do you mean weakest link just in midfield? Regardless of how fat, lazy or slow he is, in my opinion he is a more skillful and complete player than any of the above 4.

I can understand that people are disapointed thinking that Luke was going to be a Mooy replacement, however he was never brought in as a marquee or anything with those qualities.

Rass is 100% correct in saying that Brattan is keeping the ball with him a little longer sometimes as he knows that some hard and quick balls will end up in a turn over as some of our players struggle controlling under pressure or whilst being on pace. Last season he even skipped Bruno and Tim occasionally as in some games their first touch was horrendous. 

Yes, I think he is a weakest link when he plays in the attacking midfield (his main position) and far from the best option when he plays defensively. I would not mind him in the squad generally as a utility midfield player, sort of Retre. He seems to be non-conflicting easy personality. He can be a sub to Carrusca level of player especially if we try to hold the opposition rather than chasing the game. Unfortunately in the A-League it is difficult to keep all those "nice" players on payroll. Yes, Brattan was not a marque but he was brought with CFG magic just like Mooy and expectation was appropriate. Not the same as with Mooy but high enough to call Brattan a flop. He still has some time though to turn it around with Carrusca out, Budzik not ready and Ganreau for whatever reason not reaching the level in Wazza's eyes. I agree that sometimes strikers do not move enough especially when we played Cahill and Bruno together. But Ross makes a lot of classic runs which are not noticed by midfield not just Brattan in this case. You could see the difference when Carrusca was playing, it was like a breath of fresh air. Not glorifying Carrussca just trying to put the level we need in perspective. So while strikers are not perfect the biggest problem is attacking midfield and Brattan there is not a good option.

I would be interested to try Fitzy there to be honest with Arzani or Nj on the wing. Might be a totally wrong idea but Fitzy did give some good final passes in front of the box and he is more energetic then Luke.

1 hour ago, Embee said:

I've had it for months, the forum chemo used to help but recently the cancer overload is just too much.

Its incurable. Many great posters are sadly no longer with us or not strong enough to endure the pain and suffering and we are worst for it.

We need to band together to find a cure or we all will fall ill,  wither and die a lonely desperate death.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

This forum has been fucked for a while. I do enjoy the sane voices that pop up from time to  time though. 

It is no cooincidence that when the club is in shambles then so is its community. Such a shame, we have endured the underachieving potential route for too long. Too many excuses, constant deferrals and so much inconsistency has bread intolerance on the forum, amongst the players, CFG staff and beyond.

What we want is consistency, good football and some fucking hope for the future to pull us out of our too-long endured slumber.

13 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

It is no cooincidence that when the club is in shambles then so is its community. Such a shame, we have endured the underachieving potential route for too long. Too many excuses, constant deferrals and so much inconsistency has bread intolerance on the forum, amongst the players, CFG staff and beyond.

What we want is consistency, good football and some fucking hope for the future to pull us out of our too-long endured slumber.

But the club isn't in a shambles. We're sitting third and won away last week.Brisbane Roar? That's a shambles. WSW? That's a big shambles. Wellington? No words needed there. Yes I get the years of dissapointment, I've been through it too, but we're in a pretty good space right now with the team. The airs been cleared with Timmy gone, we're getting our team settled, we won away last week and we're sitting third with the opportunity to separate ourselves into the top 3 and away from the rest of the field. 

12 minutes ago, Embee said:

It's terminal

Certainly feels like it. Might be time for another holiday from the forum soon. 

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

We have been going through a major shift, getting rid of rotten old wood and draining the swamp, and third best team in the competition. I think a bit of optimism is need here, sure we aren't perfect but Wazza has just started, January transfers to come, a couple of big players coming back, young kids looking the goods, marquee getting fitter......... looks pretty good to me tbh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I've seen, without quantifying it, the number of active posters diminish, and likewise the number of votes submitted in polls such as MOTM. Leaving the forum is an option - even closing it down I suppose - then but where would we get any alternative to the sky blue wash and rinse pumped out from the club? I rely on the forum to get information that I can't get elsewhere, and also for some (mostly) balanced discussion.

I wouldn't say that the club is a shambles. However, IMO there must be some management issues that need to be dealt with - on the face of it we seem to have a high turnover of staff (such as assistant coaches, people dealing with members etc.). I wonder whether we are over-managed from CFG rather than locally?

On the field? Well the youth set-up and the ladies' team seem to do OK. Yes we're third on the A-League ladder and doing better there than in previous seasons, but IMO we still don't seem to function as smoothly as many other teams in the competition. I'm never confident that I'm going to go to AAMI Park and see us put three past the bottom side before HT and then cruise comfortably to victory.

Overall, yes, I think the years of under-achievement have taken their toll on support for the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

But the club isn't in a shambles. We're sitting third and won away last week.Brisbane Roar? That's a shambles. WSW? That's a big shambles. Wellington? No words needed there. Yes I get the years of dissapointment, I've been through it too, but we're in a pretty good space right now with the team. The airs been cleared with Timmy gone, we're getting our team settled, we won away last week and we're sitting third with the opportunity to separate ourselves into the top 3 and away from the rest of the field. 

Certainly feels like it. Might be time for another holiday from the forum soon. 

Marwood coming to Melb. Cahills comments post socceroos win and subsequent departure. Disciplinary issues.

Dont get me wrong, the team is doing okay! Our first 4 games showed so much promise. The 4 to follow reflected the deeper instability. I hope we are now finding our feet and these changes will bring the consistency we desire, but we have had many of these moments that have heralded change only to be a let down. We hope things are different now, but our experience tells us otherwise.

27 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We have been going through a major shift, getting rid of rotten old wood and draining the swamp, and third best team in the competition. I think a bit of optimism is need here, sure we aren't perfect but Wazza has just started, January transfers to come, a couple of big players coming back, young kids looking the goods, marquee getting fitter......... looks pretty good to me tbh.

I dont disagree with this. Looking good going forward, tough time in the present.

Well my alternative view about the forum is that for a while there in a fit of enthusiasm there were way too many bans for largely trivial matters (I won’t dredge them up by going over them) and at the same time worse by moderators got a wink and a nod.

Perhaps this took some of the fun out of the forum?

@strider for instance might be a bit of a nutter, but he was our nutter. And out of his regular crazy posts there was often a laugh. He’s one we don’t see anymore and I kind of miss his regular insanity. 

There are also a whole host of others, I guess they’ve got their own reasons but I don’t think you’re going to improve the quality of the place by whinging about what other people post. Post something to get the conversation back on (what you consider to be) a more sane footing if you feel that way.

(getting off soapbox now)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1