Melbourne Football

Christmas Derby 23rd December

Hellenic Hero

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well I’m going to put this out there. Yes brain snap but the best team won.

We have to play better than that at home and in a Derby.

Totally disagree sorry mate. Better team for first 40 minutes and then we came back and were much better.

They were impotent in the second half and no way deserved that win on general play.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, loriente said:

I'm done with this club I reckon. When Gillet blew the whistle, I felt nothing. No passion, no anger - nothing. What has happened to my club?

I cannot believe the club thinks it's okay to charge 60 bucks to watch that absolute pile of shit. Playing for a 0-0 at a home derby.

Fuck off CFG. Fuck off City Blue. Fuck off Wazza. Fuck off Bouzanis.

Finished.

You’ve got rocks inside, see you next week.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, loriente said:

I'm done with this club I reckon. When Gillet blew the whistle, I felt nothing. No passion, no anger - nothing. What has happened to my club?

I cannot believe the club thinks it's okay to charge 60 bucks to watch that absolute pile of shit. Playing for a 0-0 at a home derby.

Finished.

It's been a perplexing season, that's for sure. 

Couldn't make it tonight (been a member since day one of Heart so sue me) and seeing the highlights in the pre match footage of the old derbies when we were red and white were a sight to see. 

Now we're wearing City Blue and playing for a 0-0 draw in a home derby when we're sitting above them on the table. 

Bewildering. 

Edited by RedAndWhitePride
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well I’m going to put this out there. Yes brain snap but the best team won.

We have to play better than that at home and in a Derby.

I have to agree.

I don't think I've ever seen us play worse than in the first half. Our passing was absolutely atrocious - IMO Mauk, Jakobsen, La Rocca, Malik and Brattan all guilty in this respect. Kamau completely out of his depth. In the second half there was only improvement once McCormack came on. But our movement is so slow and laborious that it is boring and predictable, and ultimately painful to watch.

I really have no idea any more what Joyce thinks he is doing. A marquee player sitting on the bench? Chasing a winning goal (or were we playing for the draw FFS?) but not bringing on fresh legs such as Arzani? We won't be winning any trophies or playing in the Asian Champions League the way we are going - we'll be lucky to stay in the six.

The lowest home derby attendance ever (20,787) says it all.

Thoroughly pissed off.

• Like 1

So, we get rid of Cahill and Brandan, refuse to play our marquee in Budzinski, and refuse to play our best player from last season in Kilkenny. Then we refuse to play Galekovic, one of the best GKs in the history of the league, and we play Bouzanis who predictably fucks something up at the worst possible moment. 

At least Atkinson has shown he can play, but all I'll say is we're lucky we won the first four games of the season otherwise we'd be much lower on the table. And McCormack easily straightened us up when he came on. But we were comprehensively outplayed before he came on, especially in the first half and it was very hard to watch. 

The question has to be asked - would WJ even play Fornaroli if he was fit? Maybe he would as he was on fire in the pre season, but players with flair and creativity don't go down too well with WJ so who knows. Nothing would surprise me anymore. 

Inexcusable with the CFG backing after four seasons. 

Best football being played now is that by the Jets. A team on a beer budget compared to our resources but showing everyone that with a decent coach you don’t need a CFG style scouting network to create a highly competitive and entertaining football team that can genuinely challenge for silverware.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HEARTinator said:

Best football being played now is that by the Jets. A team on a beer budget compared to our resources but showing everyone that with a decent coach you don’t need a CFG style scouting network to create a highly competitive and entertaining football team that can genuinely challenge for silverware.

That's great, but we beat them a few weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

..The question has to be asked - would WJ even play Fornaroli if he was fit? Maybe he would as he was on fire in the pre season, but players with flair and creativity don't go down too well with WJ so who knows. Nothing would surprise me anymore. 

Inexcusable with the CFG backing after four seasons. 

Now you're just talking shit. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rass said:

That's great, but we beat them a few weeks ago.

Now you're just talking shit. 

Was just putting it out there, as reputations don't matter with Joyce. 

It's obviously all hypothetical and I'm not for one minute suggesting it'd occur (and quite frankly he'd no doubt team up well with Ross) but in my current state of frustration with this club, nothing would surprise me anymore. 

So basically we have a solid defence that can nullify attacks and our midfield blocks passing lanes well to block supply, and we play a well planned defensive counter attack. Wazza building from the back has been successful I would say.

BUT

This tactic also relies on quick ball movement and precision through balls and we fall down badly in this respect.

Which means our attackers need to be critiqued and held accountable. Kamau gets beaten way to often,  Fitzgerald plays too wide, Jamieson has poor distribution and Mauk poor distribution and lacks vision.

Solution is we need a quick thinking playmaker in the centre to deliver accurately on the break to stronger wingers with pace that can take on the opposition centrally and at least 1 more forward target that can threaten the goal.

I can see where Wazza is going, I am encouraged with what he has done so far, but we need quality up forward with a CAM that can pose real threats. We play too indirect and he knows it.

Transfer window will be interesting.

Chin up fellas as there is half a season to go.

Come on City!!!

Edited by playmaker
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, playmaker said:

So basically we have a solid defence that can nullify attacks and our midfield blocks passing lanes well to block supply, and we play a well planned defensive counter attack. Wazza building from the back has been successful I would say.

BUT

This tactic also relies on quick ball movement and precision through balls and we fall down badly in this respect.

Which means our attackers need to be critiqued and held accountable. Kamau gets beaten way to often,  Fitzgerald plays too wide, Jamieson has poor distribution and Mauk poor distribution and lacks vision.

Solution is we need a quick thinking playmaker in the centre to deliver accurately on the break to stronger wingers with pace that can take on the opposition centrally and at least 1 more forward target that can threaten the goal.

I can see where Wazza is going, I am encouraged with what he has done so far, but we need quality up forward with a CAM that can pose real threats. We play too indirect and he knows it.

Come on City!!!

What a lad, your optimism made my night a lil less shitty..finally a positive comment 

We had a great turn out of City fans tonight but I suspect our numbers through the gate will now dwindle for the rest of the season.  Feeling really dissapointed for the club tonight because losses like this really hurt in terms of building the supporter base.  And as a result we end up with lacklustre crowds and a flat atmosphere at many of our games. Just want this club to be genuinely spirited and initimidating to any side that we come up against, especially at home!  How do we fix this...

I thought tonight's result was desperately unfair. We were easily the better team over the course of the match despite the poor first half. Milligan should have been booked for simulation. It's shit like this that turns the average punter off the game. I thought Victory's approach was aggressive and spiteful tonight and the referee failed on occasion to sanction continuous and excessive fouling from their players. Then he pays a pen like that in the 94 th minute. Absolute lunacy. Where the fuck was VAR on that decision?

In other news. It's time for Jacobsen to go back to centreback or the bench. It's clear to me his passing and lack of creativity is part of our issue in the middle. I think that means LaRocca gets demoted to the bench. 

The middle three should be Malik who I thought was decent tonight and Bratten who really looks a much better player than last year and some mythical number 10 which we currently don't possess. I'd be happy to see Budz get a couple of games there or Arzani. If Budz can't cut it fuck him offski.

Ross is earning his keep and his vision and match smarts were on show tonight. He is clearly a cut above most of our players upstairs but is one the the fattest athletes I've seen on a football field. Further to this he finishes as well as Torres when he was a Chelsea.

I really felt for Kamau tonight who is a forum whipping boy but I thought he was very good in the second half. He was given the listless job of playing off the last man and given our tactics I'm not surprised he struggled to have an impact. Probably needed to gamble more to pick up the ball in behind but to often he was a few steps behind the central defender when the long ball came in. Bounced back well when moved out wide to his natural position.

In all a disappointing night and certainly some issues that need sorting out. But I'm not sure I'm in the doom and gloom boat yet.

3 minutes ago, 'Einstein' said:

We had a great turn out of City fans tonight but I suspect our numbers through the gate will now dwindle for the rest of the season.  Feeling really dissapointed for the club tonight because losses like this really hurt in terms of building the supporter base.  And as a result we end up with lacklustre crowds and a flat atmosphere at many of our games. Just want this club to be genuinely spirited and initimidating to any side that we come up against, especially at home!  How do we fix this...

I was in the middle of the ground and our active made plenty of noise tonight. I thought they put in a pretty decent shift.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I have to agree.

I don't think I've ever seen us play worse than in the first half. Our passing was absolutely atrocious - IMO Mauk, Jakobsen, La Rocca, Malik and Brattan all guilty in this respect. Kamau completely out of his depth. In the second half there was only improvement once McCormack came on. But our movement is so slow and laborious that it is boring and predictable, and ultimately painful to watch.

I really have no idea any more what Joyce thinks he is doing. A marquee player sitting on the bench? Chasing a winning goal (or were we playing for the draw FFS?) but not bringing on fresh legs such as Arzani? We won't be winning any trophies or playing in the Asian Champions League the way we are going - we'll be lucky to stay in the six.

The lowest home derby attendance ever (20,787) says it all.

Thoroughly pissed off.

The attendance was 22,912?

10 hours ago, loriente said:

Finished.

@loriente, like me and many others, you've been traumatised. Numbing is a trauma response

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

BUT

Come on City!!!

It also relies on being able to take your chances. Statistically (according to Soccernomics)  1 in 9 shots on target results in a goal, we are rarely having 9 shots on target a game

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I'll wait and see whether the A-League site changes. If it doesn't I don't have much option but to leave the number as it is.

The club also announced it as 22,519

13 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Cut my eye (do not recommend) so left about 5 minutes into the game. Kinda glad I did now. 

Holy shit what happened? Hope you're ok man

That was bloody frustrating. 

Couldn't watch the game last night due to Christmas commitments, so taped it to watch this morning. Turns out my Fox stuffed up, so no recording. That's ok, I'll download it from on demand. This means I watch the whole game in low quality, but at least I'll see it before the result is spoiled for me. After much stopping and starting to allow it to buffer, I finally get through the whole game only to see Bouzanis concede an idiotic penalty. Literally as Milligan starts his runup the recording stops and the message comes up saying I have reached the end of the recording. So I just sat through 93 minutes only to have it leave me stranded with 10 seconds of the most relevant play remaining. Fucking stupid Foxtel. 

I have since found out the result, which was not unexpected.

My thoughts, we were solid defensively, they had one genuine chance from open play that hit the crossbar, I thought we were decent if not a little too impotent.

Further thoughts, I think Jamieson was terrible. Almost every pass he tried to make in the attacking third was a turnover, his freekick was shite and his defending ok. Bouzanis was good as a keeper, woeful with his distribution though and idiotic at the death. 

I like Joyce, he is the opposite to JVS in gamestyle. I generally think we negate other teams well contrary to some other opinions here he uses subs fairly well and not at all predictably. 

I like that he doesn't make changes for the sake of making changes, I like that he has the balls to drop players he isn't happy with, and I like that when he does think we need a change he isn't afraid of making changes as early as halftime. Most of his changes do work in our favour, my biggest issue is that he errs on the side of being too defensive and as a result relies on us making the most of limited chances, not something we are good at. 

Too often we get forward and rely on a counter attack falling our was as we lack the numbers to make the most of a situation. 

Also too often we cross it on to what must be the least impressive aerial team in the comp. McCormack is hopeless in the air, Kamau isn't strong enough to even get his forehead close, Mauk is always caught behind his player, Fitzy is ok but usually the one crossing, and the only player that can consistently get on the end of high balls in Malik who is the lamest header in the comp and has demonstrated this by barely even lofting soft uncontested headers in the direction of the goal, his multiple efforts against Brisbane being a perfect example. 

We are going alright, and dare I say it many of our losses this season have been "unlucky". Brisbane, Sydneyx2, WSW, Victory have all been games where we should've gotten a result and instead due to a combination of stupid goals conceded and an inability to take our chances we haven't been able to win. 

• Like 1

Possibly the most deflating derby loss, however no team really deserved to win. Bouzanis cost us 2 points with an unforgivable error and should be dropped for the next game.

The only positives were Aktinson and the fact that the tards were also rubbish (and their supporters knew it).

Wazza needs to give Mauk a spell now and throw Arzani a chance. I like 2 deep defensive mids shielding the back 4, but he needs a better creative outlet in the middle. I think Fitzy should come off the bench for a few games as well as a super sub.

Ross and Bruce combined quite well in the 2nd half at times, which is also something to build on. 

Serousily, if Joyce could nail down an attacking combination that was even slightly more potent, we would be very hard to beat.

Just a quick summary:

+ Joined Melbournians march which was great.

+ We have a young RB who should start every week now.

+ Brattan was excellent. Really glad for him. Just got in time before January window to cement his position.

+ Kamau was better than in last games before his injury.

+ Generally we were better side in both halves.

- First half was terrible. If it was Wazza's idea to wear Victory and finish them in the second half, this is just wrong to do it in the home derby. If he hoped we can actually score in the first half with Mauk - he is delusional.

- Jacobsen needs to be stopped playing in the midfield. He is a liability there. Not just a passenger, but actually doing harm.

- Bozanis clearly was too nervous to start the game. He was generally solid before the howler but had uncharacteristically poor distribution. Never passed to Fitzy while he was staying along only to Kamau surrounded by players.

- Do not even want to go to refs performance. Not an excuse. We had same problems in the start of the season but played with much better quality margin to overcome refs incompetence.

I would say we definitely made a lot of progress this year, we have a shape and structure. We have a realistic style we can master and be successful on the pitch. So it's probably time to fill the gaps with people and punishing for mistakes is part of the process. Dean should be on the bench, Jacobsen should be playing in defense only or be on the bench, Mauk should be probably released.