Melbourne Football

Rd. 8 vs Perth, Friday 24/11, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm

jw1739

8 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Isn't that the whole point of var though? To have the benefit of slow mo replays? Sliding in studs up like that is always a red. Not sure why people feel so hard done by.

It is the point of VAR, but that's what I'm getting at yeah... VAR gave the ref the opportunity to review the play and his initial decision. He went from nothing to red card... both wrong... 

In the end the ref made the decision on the pen and the red, it wasn't VAR. If you actually think watching that play in slow motion that it was red, then sorry, you're wrong too. 

I think the biggest indicator that it wasn't a red card was when it happened, one Perth player put their hand up for a corner. Young italiano got up pretty quick, gave his leg a quick rub and off he went. The Perth players saw nothing in it at the time and still don't from the few quotes I've seen from Nichols, Lowe and mills

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Isn't that the whole point of var though? To have the benefit of slow mo replays? Sliding in studs up like that is always a red. Not sure why people feel so hard done by.

Yes, it is. But not to re-referee the whole bloody match. The way it's going we'll have a break in play every two minutes while the VAR reviews that two minutes, various decisions are made or reversed, and then we'll play for another two minutes etc. etc.

2 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

What happened in Active area when that arab security came in?

After the cheezels chant and all the cheezels were gone, old mate threw the box. Security came in to tell him off then some bloke a few seats infront threw a beer towards the security guard. Massive overrection from security........it was an empty cheezels box ffs!!!! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

Well I always thought that studs up tackles that could potentially end in serious injury were reds. But I seems I am wrong.

I thought we sound like a bunch of whining sore losers, but I guess I was wrong about that too

When I saw the tackle live I actually thought he got the ball and said to Tesla that it was a typical Malik challenge that you are worried is going to be a straight red, but he sometimes pulls off. 

On review I thought it was a penalty and when I saw it the second time (at the game) I accept that it was a red.

The incident that shits me was Bart being dragged to the ground in the box and not getting the penalty despite the VAR review. Absolute madness.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, malloy said:

The incident that shits me was Bart being dragged to the ground in the box and not getting the penalty despite the VAR review. Absolute madness.

He was coming back from an offside position when he got dragged. That's why it was given the all clear. Else it was a definite pen.

• Like 1

Where in the world did they get that ref from? total rank amateur whether it was a red or not is immaterial the whole ref display was abysmal . The problem being that today's refs think that the game is all about them, back in the distant past refs were almost invisible and let games flow, last nights display was RUBBISH.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rass said:

He was coming back from an offside position when he got dragged. That's why it was given the all clear. Else it was a definite pen.

I get that, but does that mean that committing a foul on a player that is offside is ok?

How about the scenario that a player is elbowed in the face or something to that effect, surely that's an infringement of some sort?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, malloy said:

I wish I had known that last night. I was raging for the rest of the match.

I still am even though i know it was the correct call. 😢

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I get that, but does that mean that committing a foul on a player that is offside is ok?

How about the scenario that a player is elbowed in the face or something to that effect, surely that's an infringement of some sort?

I think the original foul still stands and the player who then commits a following infringement would be sanctioned with a card or a caution. 

It's not like AFL where a free can be reversed.

35 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Where in the world did they get that ref from? total rank amateur whether it was a red or not is immaterial the whole ref display was abysmal . The problem being that today's refs think that the game is all about them, back in the distant past refs were almost invisible and let games flow, last nights display was RUBBISH.

Totally agree. My biggest issue is that he did nothing about the continual obvious tactics to stop our momentum. Not even a caution. He completely fell for Perth's tactics and then overreacted in the one instance where he had a chance to get some control. The last few minutes of that first half ended up in a farce and would be deeply embarrassing for Australian football.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, playmaker said:

It is still an offence, but the offside offence should be paid first.

25 minutes ago, rass said:

Totally agree. My biggest issue is that he did nothing about the continual obvious tactics to stop our momentum. Not even a caution. He completely fell for Perth's tactics and then overreacted in the one instance where he had a chance to get some control. The last few minutes of that first half ended up in a farce and would be deeply embarrassing for Australian football.

One compliment I would pay our boys - everyone of them, despite the loss - is that they kept control of themselves despite everything falling around their ears.  I did feel proud of them for that.

• Like 2

VAR is a pain in the arse, but that’s a clear as day red card. 

I’m not going to criticise Joyce as I was glad To see him think outside the square & change things/formation up. Clearly didn’t work as it Nullified your most effective attacking player & weakened our backline, but id rather see that then a manager sit on his hands & Wait for our luck to change.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, it is. But not to re-referee the whole bloody match. The way it's going we'll have a break in play every two minutes while the VAR reviews that two minutes, various decisions are made or reversed, and then we'll play for another two minutes etc. etc.

What do you mean "the way it's going"?  Was there more than one full review last night which took time?  I only saw one and it resulted in an important correction to an incident the ref clearly missed. 

The slippery slope argument is a pretty lazy one.  VAR can be used well and it can be used poorly.  I don't see a major problem with how it was used last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman Cain said:

What do you mean "the way it's going"?  Was there more than one full review last night which took time?  I only saw one and it resulted in an important correction to an incident the ref clearly missed. 

The slippery slope argument is a pretty lazy one.  VAR can be used well and it can be used poorly.  I don't see a major problem with how it was used last night.

I have said right from the start that IMO the video replay should be used for goal-line decisions only, so I think I'm being consistent in my opinions of VAR. I think that the other thing I'd like cleared up is who asks for the review. IMO it should be the field referee. What happened last night is that the review was suggested by the official looking at the video, and was not called for by the field referee. I don't like that. It's a matter of opinion, but that's what most discussion is on here and what forums are for.

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

For me the overwhelming defect in the way we play is that it's all done at a snail's pace - and getting slower with every match. At times this evening it looked like Over-50's Walking Football. So many backwards and sideways passes, so many misplaced passes, players requiring 4-5 touches of the ball before passing, and so it goes on and on. Do players really have to look up ten times before they work out where they're going to pass the ball?

When a City player has the ball they don't know where any of their team mates are positioned or where they are moving to because have no system for when we have the ball.

The player looks up, doesn't see any obvious options in front of them, waits for someone to move for them but no one does and then goes sideways or backwards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, belaguttman said:

No, Mauk scored one but that is the only one.

6 goals conceded in 2 games and one goal from open play in 5 games

Ah, yes. Mercifully I missed that one, after I'd planned to catch the replay but stumbled on the final result before I had a chance.

On the up side, I actually agree with Joyce's post-match analysis that we played really well for most of the second half even with a man down. 

Our possession, passing and running for spaces was top-notch and we were camped in their half for a lot of it. Nowhere near deadly with a final(ish) ball, sadly. 

The third goal just knocked the stuffing out of us. 

Very poor crowd. It would appear a lot of our members are fickle AS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

On the up side, I actually agree with Joyce's post-match analysis that we played really well for most of the second half even with a man down. 

Our possession, passing and running for spaces was top-notch and we were camped in their half for a lot of it. Nowhere near deadly with a final(ish) ball, sadly. 

The third goal just knocked the stuffing out of us. 

Very poor crowd. It would appear a lot of our members are fickle AS

It did look like that but Perth's plan was to delay us in our already slow attacking transition, try and force a turnover but more importantly, it was to control space, congest the central areas and to force us centrally if possible. Whilst we had lot of possession our ball movement was slow and inaccurate, our movement off the ball in the front third was poor and consequently, we didn't score.

I'm not sure of our season ticket holders are 'fickle as', we have been worn down by the same patterns in the mens team, season after season: flatter to deceive and then the inevitable crash into sustained mediocrity, a small rally before the finals and then another slide into mediocrity and yet another fourth-place finish. I bought a 5 game season ticket and I'm already regretting it, I could have just stayed at home to watch 2 losses

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I have said right from the start that IMO the video replay should be used for goal-line decisions only, so I think I'm being consistent in my opinions of VAR. I think that the other thing I'd like cleared up is who asks for the review. IMO it should be the field referee. What happened last night is that the review was suggested by the official looking at the video, and was not called for by the field referee. I don't like that. It's a matter of opinion, but that's what most discussion is on here and what forums are for.

It works well in field hockey where each team has a limited number of VAR requests, they are requested by the team captain but when they are gone, they are gone. The process is quick with minimal delay.

Kenny summarized pretty much well why they won: being more active and fearless.

Watching Brattan stopping the game all the time, Fitzy and Kamau taking on extra player instead of giving a pass or hogging the ball a-la Brattan, meaningless short passes on the opposition side from all the team.

Muscat appearance was quite reasonable. He definitively came with a clear instruction - simplify the game a cross everything. But being Muscat he did it for the first 5-10 min max only.

Most of the team should start on the bench or at the stands next game.

I hope that there are some competition for Kamau and Fitzy - those guys were absolute disgrace in the attack. Mauk should be benched along with Brattan. Carrusca is sorely missed here. But I would also give Garneau a chance if he is still in the club at all.

Cahill did not give anything when appeared. Yes, he is a threat just being on the pitch, but otherwise he was quite disappointing. Preferred Arzani or Crowley there any time.

I hope Wazza will start to screw some bolts in the team. The complacency is obvious.

After all there is an obvious reason why all of those players are playing in AU and not EU - they are simply not good enough. So, stop trying to create Arsenal or Barsa, simplify the game to the bone and start playing good old English hoof-ball direct football. Not as primitive as Victory do but something like Sydney. And having better players will give us the edge.

12 hours ago, MXG said:

Kenny summarized pretty much well why they won: being more active and fearless.

Watching Brattan stopping the game all the time, Fitzy and Kamau taking on extra player instead of giving a pass or hogging the ball a-la Brattan, meaningless short passes on the opposition side from all the team.

Muscat appearance was quite reasonable. He definitively came with a clear instruction - simplify the game a cross everything. But being Muscat he did it for the first 5-10 min max only.

Most of the team should start on the bench or at the stands next game.

I hope that there are some competition for Kamau and Fitzy - those guys were absolute disgrace in the attack. Mauk should be benched along with Brattan. Carrusca is sorely missed here. But I would also give Garneau a chance if he is still in the club at all.

Cahill did not give anything when appeared. Yes, he is a threat just being on the pitch, but otherwise he was quite disappointing. Preferred Arzani or Crowley there any time.

I hope Wazza will start to screw some bolts in the team. The complacency is obvious.

After all there is an obvious reason why all of those players are playing in AU and not EU - they are simply not good enough. So, stop trying to create Arsenal or Barsa, simplify the game to the bone and start playing good old English hoof-ball direct football. Not as primitive as Victory do but something like Sydney. And having better players will give us the edge.

Mate you have got no hope of Wazza turning this around. This is all his doing, its taken a grand total of 4 rounds for this new 'culture' to fall apart. 

Edited by Dylan

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Mate you have got no hope of Wazza turning this around. This is all his doing, its taken a grand total of 4 rounds for this new 'culture' to fall apart. 

Weren't you going to give him until Christmas? I must say that the outlook is beginning to look gloomy, but we'll know for sure by Christmas.

I'm still not prepared to blame our Manager for everything, because IMO our recruitment is well below par. I don't see why we continue to sign rejects from other A-League clubs (mainly Adelaide and Phoenix), and I don't understand the logic behind Budski. So IMO plenty sits on Petrillo's shoulders.

We're consistently doing well in youth development, and I agree with those who'd rather see our younger players given a good chance.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Weren't you going to give him until Christmas? I must say that the outlook is beginning to look gloomy, but we'll know for sure by Christmas.

I'm still not prepared to blame our Manager for everything, because IMO our recruitment is well below par. I don't see why we continue to sign rejects from other A-League clubs (mainly Adelaide and Phoenix), and I don't understand the logic behind Budski. So IMO plenty sits on Petrillo's shoulders.

We're consistently doing well in youth development, and I agree with those who'd rather see our younger players given a good chance.

Recruiting? Come on.  Recruiting is not the issue.  Besides, Joyce would sign off on all players, so to try to move blame to Pertillo, and further to that,  that Joyce doesnt have the final say on who is signed would be far from the truth.

But it is ironic that we have some youth coach (and previously failed senior coach) whom doesnt use our youth players. Who else did that? Aloisi ;) 

I always thought that this style of only having a defence, and playing in some drab boring way was always going to fall apart. Cant win with only a third of a functioning team 

Edited by Dylan

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Recruiting? Come on.  Recruiting is not the issue.  Besides, Joyce would sign off on all players, so to try to move blame to Pertillo, and further to that,  that Joyce doesnt have the final say on who is signed would be far from the truth.

But it is ironic that we have some youth coach (and previously failed senior coach) whom doesnt use our youth players. Who else did that? Aloisi ;) 

I always thought that this style of only having a defence, and playing in some drab boring way was always going to fall apart. Cant win with only a third of a functioning team 

No, that's not true. He inherited legacy players and could not possibly have signed off on them. And I think we're asking for trouble when we sign rejects from other A-league clubs. But look, in many ways I agree with you. We've stalled, while other teams continue to gain momentum - Sydney now six points clear of us, Central Coast and Perth within striking distance.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I think that our recruitment is well and truly good enough, apart from Marcin who has been underwhelming. McCormack has been reasonable in that he's scored important goals but our poor efficiency in general in front of goal is a coaching issue. When we were playing counter-attacks from behind our defensive wall we were playing ugly football but getting away with it because 1 or 2 goals was enough. Now that Wazza is trying to play more proactive football we have lost our defensive solidity but gained no more attacking efficiency