Melbourne Football

Rd. 8 vs Perth, Friday 24/11, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm

jw1739

Highlight of night was Bart just picking up Keogh when he tries to get play stopped 

That ref had no idea at all, the red card was absolutely ridiculous. But the worst decision he made was when grant was down and Perth attacked and was all good, then Jamieson gets it and is running free down wing. And he stops play 

Wazza really needs to look hard at who he is playing as some of the player's flaws have become evident and can not be ignored.

I understand this is his first season with this group and up to today he needed to give players the benefit of the doubt, but progressing from here without big changes is not acceptable.

Good coaches will react swiftly and precisely.

Show us how good you are Wazza and do what you need to do.

Also our wingers need to learn to play narrow on a counter attack as we are being caught out wide way to often which allows the opposition time to organise themselves centrally, we lose momentum and we look mechanical instead of flowing into attacking positions.

Poor game by our boys and referee was poor.

Questions need to be asked on Budzinski, Mauk, Malik and Kamau three of which are not doing their jobs to create real opportunities for Ross.

Lets see how we go next week.

• Like 1

Since we were top of the ladder, we've earned 1 point in 4 matches. We haven't won a game home or away.

We've scored 1 goal from open play.

Positives:

We weren't physically intimidated by Perth in the second half and greatly improved once we went 10 players against 12

Looked more threatening once Cahill came on

Negatives:

Lost another game at home against a poor Perth team without Keogh, Taggart and Castro that lacked ambition

Started poorly, didn't even get the ball into our attacking half for the first 8 minutes

Perth did a City on us and made us look better in the second half by parking the bus and allowing us use of the ball because our ball speed and player movement was so poor that they had time to set 2 banks of 4 defenders. Despite that, we should have scored.

Too many turnovers, too many lost second balls

Joyce makes Kenny Lowe look like Pep. I'm still struggling to understand our attacking plan.

I didn't even realise that Marcin was playing in the first half. He missed a chance from inside the box in the final minutes that should be scored by a marquee

McCormack poor at anything apart from set pieces and offers little.

Ref had a best on ground performance for Perth

Poor crowd

Edited by belaguttman

25 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

This is nothing. I grew up watching Walsall.  You think this is tough? This is my team, win or lose.  Always next week.

That's all well and good and I totally understand, but we're backed by the City Football Group in a sporting mad city with nearly five million people and we just keep churning out mediocrity.  

Edited by RedAndWhitePride
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

This is nothing. I grew up watching Walsall.  You think this is tough? This is my team, win or lose.  Always next week.

Try Turkish second league trying to reach the first league for 15 years and losing the one important promotion deciding match year after year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Try Turkish second league trying to reach the first league for 15 years and losing the one important promotion deciding match year after year.

Quite right Jeff. They haven't suffered anything like enough yet.  These kids who think football is about winning.  Wrong, it's a lesson in perpetual, stoic suffering, and learning to laugh about it.  Invented by the British see, so it reflects the British sense of humour... Dark, manic and just ever so slightly unhinged...

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

That's all well and good and I totally understand, but we're backed by the City Football Group in a sporting mad city with nearly five million people and we just keep churning out mediocrity.  

It could be far, far worse.  You could have been born an Aston Villa supporter.

2 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

This is maybe the single funniest thing I've read on this forum. I'll wake up laughing about this tomorrow.

That's the spirit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Quite right Jeff. They haven't suffered anything like enough yet.  These kids who think football is about winning.  Wrong, it's a lesson in perpetual, stoic suffering, and learning to laugh about it.  Invented by the British see, so it reflects the British sense of humour... Dark, manic and just ever so slightly unhinged...

Thank you for this.

This is a very bad loss. It is up there in our all time classics. Getting done at home with a team missing so many regulars. 

You can blame the ref all you want but at the end of the day we were just shit.

Going to be a long week, the media smell blood they are really going to go to town.

Only pleasing thing Marwood would have seen it live.

• Like 1

It's all going to be said by others so there's not much point in me launching into a diatribe. For me the overwhelming defect in the way we play is that it's all done at a snail's pace - and getting slower with every match. At times this evening it looked like Over-50's Walking Football. So many backwards and sideways passes, so many misplaced passes, players requiring 4-5 touches of the ball before passing, and so it goes on and on. Do players really have to look up ten times before they work out where they're going to pass the ball? How can a team come out at home and play like we did in the first 15 minutes? - we were unbelievably lethargic. 

Other than the disappointments of being a City supporter, the match was a terrible advertisement for football. The refereeing was appalling, and the VAR is a blight on the game.

Really pissed off with City at this juncture. So much smug bullshit coming out of the club, but nothing being delivered on the field.

9 minutes ago, Forever City said:

Attendance: 6,963 

That is shocking. 

The fans are voting with their feet.

• Like 1

When you've not only laughed when your team has conceded but also when they've scored.

When the best chant of the night has been 'We're shit, and we know we are' and everybody joined in. Even the players.

When your best football story, which actually got you published, is about barking at police dogs.

When you've been away to York in sub zero temperatures and watched your team lose 3-0.

When you've lost to Accrington, away, in the pissing rain.

Then and only then, have you truly become a football supporter.

Terrible game to experience. Very disappointing crowd, scared off by our form, the drama around Timmy and the threat of stormy weather.

Wazza has learnt tonight that Fitzy is no RB and that Malik cannot play as our only DM.

Perfect game for Lowe, he set up to give us no freedom out wide, exploited Fitzy and exposed Malik, then parked the bus and broke up the play, frustrating our guys. None of this was helped by amateur level refereeing, but that’s still no excuse.

I do think our guys tried hard to break down Perth after we went to 10 men but the odds were against us.

Ultimately we have the midfield depth and talent to create a winning formation, it just hasn’t clicked yet. I still feel confident that a cohesive set up will eventuate, and that we’ll be there abouts come the end of the season.

Put tonight behind us and bounce back strong next week against the mighty Hoff’s Jets.

• Like 1

Is Kamau's goal against Victory really the last time we scored from open play? Feels like that happened a year ago.

I just don't get this team at all. Unlike last year, our corners have actually gone into dangerous areas, only for the ball to bounce with no-one near it then get cleared by a defender. We don't even look like getting a head on the ball, let alone scoring, from that situation.

After a perplexing 4-0 start, we've reverted to the mean. You know it's time to start thinking about your Christmas shopping when City has secured 0-2 points in a four game stretch and the season is rapidly going down the toilet. The most dangerous thing is we'll somehow still be third after a month of rubbish.

It would just be classic City for us to go out and belt Newcastle next week, just to rope us all back in. In fact, I'm expecting it.

I didn't get to see the game. But I did just see a clip on the a league Facebook page of Malik being sent off. Is this seriously the one people are complaining about? The one where he is in the box and completely misses the ball, then goes studs up into a Perth players upper inner thigh? This is the one people think is no pen and shouldn't have been a red?

37 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I didn't get to see the game. But I did just see a clip on the a league Facebook page of Malik being sent off. Is this seriously the one people are complaining about? The one where he is in the box and completely misses the ball, then goes studs up into a Perth players upper inner thigh? This is the one people think is no pen and shouldn't have been a red?

With the benefit of slow motion replays, you can understand the penalty call. But seriously a red card? The ref was standing a metre away, how the fuk can you not even see a foul from that distance, then change it to a red?

Give the pen, give him a yellow and move on. That red decision was incorrect and changed the whole course of the game. Totally disgusting amateur backwater shit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rass said:

With the benefit of slow motion replays, you can understand the penalty call. But seriously a red card? The ref was standing a metre away, how the fuk can you not even see a foul from that distance, then change it to a red?

Give the pen, give him a yellow and move on. That red decision was incorrect and changed the whole course of the game. Totally disgusting amateur backwater shit. 

Isn't that the whole point of var though? To have the benefit of slow mo replays? Sliding in studs up like that is always a red. Not sure why people feel so hard done by.

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

This is a very bad loss. It is up there in our all time classics. Getting done at home with a team missing so many regulars. 

You can blame the ref all you want but at the end of the day we were just shit.

Going to be a long week, the media smell blood they are really going to go to town.

Only pleasing thing Marwood would have seen it live.

And this will be a good thing! 

I hope something comes from this, last night was an absolute disgrace! 

I would like to see Joyce gone, clearly has lost the players and cant keep ego's in check. Tim Cahill has taken the club for a ride and hope goes in January. 

I would also like to see Scott Munn gone, not sure i can blame him for last night but I'm going to.

• Like 1