Melbourne Football

Rd. 8 vs Perth, Friday 24/11, AAMI Park, 7.50 pm

jw1739

2 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

This is how I think we should line up this week. 

Obviously Fernando won’t start 

and I’d be surprised if Killa gets a start Over Malik 

Brattan has to start was awesome in an unfamiliar role on Friday when he came on!

DC22B174-E24B-4BEA-BE20-D79C82E85E9D.jpeg

Try this:

Galekovic

Fitzy       Bort        Jakobsen      Jamo

Malik

Budzinski         Mauk

Brattan            Ross            Kamau

5 minutes ago, rass said:

Try this:

Galekovic

Fitzy       Bort        Jakobsen      Jamo

Malik

Budzinski         Mauk

Brattan            Ross            Kamau

Fitzy at Rb? No chance. 

I don't get why La Rocca would be axed he has been our best player bar last week. I'm no Muscat fanboy but he also has been solid. For me Mauk is the most likely to be dropped for Brattan and I'm not sure Budzinski did enough to warrant another start. 

From what I've seen so far from Wazza I don't think he will make more than 2 changes and probably just 1 that being Brattan for Mauk.

Galekovic 

Muscat       Bort  La Rocca    Jamo

Jakobsen     Malik

Budzinski or  Mauk or  Brattan?

Fitzy                   Ross                Kamau 

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Fitzy at Rb? No chance. 

I don't get why La Rocca would be axed he has been our best player bar last week. I'm no Muscat fanboy but he also has been solid. For me Mauk is the most likely to be dropped for Brattan and I'm not sure Budzinski did enough to warrant another start. 

From what I've seen so far from Wazza I don't think he will make more than 2 changes and probably just 1 that being Brattan for Mauk.

Galekovic 

Jakobsen     Malik

Just the feeling I have mate.

BTW why not Fitzy RB? He runs like a rabbit - i can see him overlapping with Brattan and getting forward enough to cause real issues.

25 minutes ago, rass said:

Just the feeling I have mate.

BTW why not Fitzy RB? He runs like a rabbit - i can see him overlapping with Brattan and getting forward enough to cause real issues.

It just doesn't make sense putting our best winger on right back. Why change something that's already effective? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Fitzy at Rb? No chance. 

Galekovic 

Jakobsen     Malik

The voice of reason. I also think this is the most likely scenario. The Glory are gash at the back at the minute and only really offer anything in the attacking department. With Castro likely out it makes sense to first make sure we dont concede, because we'll more than likely get quite a few chances against what is probably the worst defence in the league.

For me, when you have genuine depth and quality on the bench and good competition within the squad, an inexcusable mistake that costs your team points demands consequences as severe as being dropped from the starting XI.  Don't necessarily care how well you've been going, players need to know that bad mistakes are unacceptable.  Thus far, all our goals conceded have been from really poor mistakes, and a team that prides itself on its defensive steel, should not accept these mistakes without punishment to the individuals involved.

Otherwise, those outside the starting XI will exist within the team feeling as if their chance may not come, and players starting will feel like they are a protected species.

La Rocca's mistakes were very poor and cost us, so he should be dropped, as we have the depth to cover him, and someone else gets the chance to stand up and try and stake their claim as a starter.  Galekovic's mistakes were equally as poor and likewise he should also be dropped for Bouzanis, provided Dean has impressed in training.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

For me, when you have genuine depth and quality on the bench and good competition within the squad, an inexcusable mistake that costs your team points demands consequences as severe as being dropped from the starting XI.  Don't necessarily care how well you've been going, players need to know that bad mistakes are unacceptable.  Thus far, all our goals conceded have been from really poor mistakes, and a team that prides itself on its defensive steel, should not accept these mistakes without punishment to the individuals involved.

Otherwise, those outside the starting XI will exist within the team feeling as if their chance may not come, and players starting will feel like they are a protected species.

La Rocca's mistakes were very poor and cost us, so he should be dropped, as we have the depth to cover him, and someone else gets the chance to stand up and try and stake their claim as a starter.  Galekovic's mistakes were equally as poor and likewise he should also be dropped for Bouzanis, provided Dean has impressed in training.

I do kind of agree with this, but i think you need to be careful where you draw that line of poor performance to be dropped. A situation where you have a totally different XI each week can be counterproductive when it comes to consistency, which ultimately is what you are trying to create.

49 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Does that policy extend to our forwards butchering a plethora of gilt-edged chances at the other end? Or does this only count when we need a pariah?

41 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Specifically, we have plenty of available midfielders to take over from Jakobsen, and Jakobsen can replace La Rocca. In truth there's not a lot between Galekovic and Bouzanis, and therefore I agree that we should make the changes.

I'm always a bit suspicious when players have shockers in away matches.

Also to add, that there is no way Kamau should be starting when it was quite evident that Brattan changed the dynamics of our attack when he replaced him. Brattan should start down the right side with Carusca replacing if he can't run out the match.

Galekovic

Jakobsen  Schenkeveld  La Rocca  Jamieson

Brattan         Malik             Mauk.          Fitzy

Budzinski

Ross

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Fitzy at Rb? No chance. 

Galekovic 

Jakobsen     Malik

Going to be really disappointed if we see Jacobsen in midfield again. It’s crazy.

why not start Tongyik up front for Ross too. He should be good at pressing.

• Like 1

We played so much better in the second half against Brisbane when Bratten and Kilkenny came on and Jakobsen moved back into defense. Imo this is how we should start from now on. I wouldn't drop La Rocca as he's been great apart from last week, I would drop Muscat to the bench, play either Jakobsen or Bart RB with the other one playing CB with La Rocca, and then Kilkenny/Bratten moves into midfield alongside Malik. A back 4 of Bart, Jakobsen, La Rocca and Jamieson will be very tough to score against. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CDM3 said:

We played so much better in the second half against Brisbane when Bratten and Kilkenny came on and Jakobsen moved back into defense. Imo this is how we should start from now on. I wouldn't drop La Rocca as he's been great apart from last week, I would drop Muscat to the bench, play either Jakobsen or Bart RB with the other one playing CB with La Rocca, and then Kilkenny/Bratten moves into midfield alongside Malik. A back 4 of Bart, Jakobsen, La Rocca and Jamieson will be very tough to score against. 

5atb maybe? dont know how it would work though

4 hours ago, CDM3 said:

I don't think we need 5 at the back, I think we're defending well enough with the current formation apart from silly individual errors.

Would be more 3 cbs with 2 attacking wing backs. But yea your point is valid

City Head Coach Warren Joyce has selected a strong squad to take on Perth on Friday night, adding the firepower of Tim Cahill and Ross McCormack to the team for the encounter.

Both players missed out on last week’s clash with Brisbane – Cahill with a short turnaround from Socceroos duty and McCormack with a sore Achilles – and a full week on the track at CFA Melbourne has seen both players deemed fit for selection this week.

With Marcin Budzinski playing in the makeshift number nine role last week, Joyce may shuffle his cards with two strikers coming into the team but the City boss revealed little in his pre-match press conference on Thursday.

Marcelo Carrusca will miss another week with a calf issue he picked up at training late last week while Fernando Brandan is in the final stages of his journey towards match fitness after fully recovering from his ACL injury.

City young gun Ramy Najjarine also retains his spot in the extended side with the scholarship player doing enough to put his name in the mix for the final 18 before the list is culled by two 90 minutes before kick-off.

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Dean Bouzanis, 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 5. Bart Schenkeveld, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Braedyn Crowley, 13. Stefan Mauk, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 25. Iacopo La Rocca, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 35.Ramy Najjarine, 44. Ross McCormack

Ins: 17.Tim Cahill (returns from injury), 44.Ross McCormack (returns from injury)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 23. Bruno Fornaroli (ankle), 9.Marcelo Carrusca (calf)
https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-citys-round-8-squad

13 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I figured @rass was reflecting what he’d seen at training so im not surprised

Very good mate 😉

Team sheet is pretty much showing what i noted the other day isn't it. Down to the player.

He tried a few things but it looked like this was the lineup he was leaning to. For obvious reasons i didnt want to post exactly what i saw.

Edited by rass
  • Like 1