Melbourne Football

National Youth League 2017/18

jw1739

If you can't make it to the matches, follow the boys on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MelbCityYouth

They're 3-0 up after just 28 minutes. Genreau, Crowley and Najjarine.

Match abandoned after 50 minutes because of nearby lightning strikes, with City 3-0 up. Result to be determined by FFA at a later date.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Forever City said:

The Melbourne City youth team won the Melbourne derby 9-2.
Goal scorers: Crowley 3, Najjarine 2, Arzani 2 , Genreau 1, Cavallo 1.

Wowsers, that's some score sheet!

.... found superbly in the box by Genreau for his third goal, who proved to be a catalyst to most of City’s play all evening.

Ruon Tongyik was a calming influence in defence throughout the dominant 90 minutes.

Nathanial Atkinson’s work down the right as an attacking wingback was a standout in what proved to be an impressive first-half by the home team.

City were back on level terms shortly after through a piece of individual brilliance from Daniel Arzani. Picking up the ball on the left wing, Arzani attacked the Victory defence at pace before unleashing a blistering strike which sailed into the top corner from 25 yards.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/y-league-report-city-9-2-victory

I found it interesting that Atkinson played RB instead of Pierias and it sounds like he played really well. Also Genreau keeps getting plaudits for our team and our national set up.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Hopefully Vidmar will see a few of these players through into the first team.

But like with every player you have to look at it as will they do a better job than the player they would replace in the XI. Right now, Kamau would be worried.

Malik, Cahill as well.

Imagine Cahill not getting on pine because Crowley was instead, media shitstorm!!

1 minute ago, citymad said:

mmmmmmm yea i don't think genreau had a great game to be honest just one good free kick, standouts for me were sozer for sure and the young kid kilkenny...

Did you go?

Give us a run down, sounds from your insider knowledge this young gun Kilkenny should get a run?

there were a few of the regulars missing like arzani and tongyik and atkinson who have been named in the ccm a league game. some players not in their regular positions etc and some younger players getting a go. city played well in the main. kilkenny was a bit of a presecence in the mid but didnt really defend at all so our players were running around making up for that. they had a different striker and wingers and centre backs to last time. but in genral it was ok, they got  the win. Perth looked unstructured but intense at times. we are on top of the ladder and we start the round again so all things going well we can get to another final. 

3 minutes ago, citymad said:

there were a few of the regulars missing like arzani and tongyik and atkinson who have been named in the ccm a league game. some players not in their regular positions etc and some younger players getting a go. city played well in the main. kilkenny was a bit of a presecence in the mid but didnt really defend at all so our players were running around making up for that. they had a different striker and wingers and centre backs to last time. but in genral it was ok, they got  the win. Perth looked unstructured but intense at times. we are on top of the ladder and we start the round again so all things going well we can get to another final. 

Thanks.

apparently already gone.. looks like we have some depth though. if push comes to shove they will just put the high flying a league young ones back in to get the results like crowley and najjarine and pieras etc. so and then we can still put an older one in also. geez brandan fernando could come on if we needed it. i reckon they want to win it fro a third time,

1 hour ago, citymad said:

apparently already gone.. looks like we have some depth though. if push comes to shove they will just put the high flying a league young ones back in to get the results like crowley and najjarine and pieras etc. so and then we can still put an older one in also. geez brandan fernando could come on if we needed it. i reckon they want to win it fro a third time,

I reckon he is the best striker the Aust system has come up with since Viduca (I think Blackwood was his opposition in the national team set up), other players can slot in, this is shocking news really, he had instinct that can't be taught.

Wish him the best if so, maybe it's because he is more an old school striker, but surely he could be coached to a style?

Edited by moops

John Roberts is still listed as a member of City's A-League squad. He was also still with City according to this article on 17th October_ http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-city-dominate-young-socceroos-squad-for-asian-qualifiers-20171017-gz2l8r.html

If he has left the club it must be very recently. He was contracted as a Scholarship Player until 31st May 2019. He doesn't turn 17 until January 2018. Where could he have gone without any announcement from the club?

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

John Roberts is still listed as a member of City's A-League squad. He was also still with City according to this article on 17th October_ http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-city-dominate-young-socceroos-squad-for-asian-qualifiers-20171017-gz2l8r.html

If he has left the club it must be very recently. He was contracted as a Scholarship Player until 31st May 2019. He doesn't turn 17 until January 2018. Where could he have gone without any announcement from the club?

yea not sure about the club but i heard he has left. and the kid playing was a marco from the under 20's . He played OK and got a goal. As far as where Roberts went,i have no idea. Maybe he will come back. a mate who is attached to the club told me once before that some of the scholarship players might be getting loaned out to OS clubs at academy and youth level, for more game time and experience. Maybe thats where Roberts went. That sems Ok if true. Maybe the club will announce something soon. Still, there seems to be an endless supply of young talent coming through the club. 

Atkinson as been playing at RB and absolutely killing it. Got an A league game as a result of his performances. I think he is far and away a better RB than pieras so maybe Pierias has been dropped. He is not really missed to be honest and the Y league has been winning without him and players are stepping up to A league. 

13 hours ago, Tangerine said:

Pieras hasn’t played for the youth team in a while. Given he has an A-league game under his belt you’d have thought he would have been in the running for the CCM game tonight. Anyone know the story? Injured or gone elsewhere?

Last I heard he was injured.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The youth programme at City seems to be going really well now. 

I went and heard Joe P speak at a coach the coach session in the Heart days years ago. The impression I got was that recruitment was 100% his responsibility and thus when he was appointed “late” that particular year he had little time to put a squad together.

After that inauspicious start they got better organised with this idea of an even number of players across the 3 years and obviously more thorough and better scouting.

The result is they certainly have some talent now.