Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC Functions & Events Thread

n i k o

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I understand the heritage aspect but I love the 'third' kit. It's my favourite kit we've ever worn.

It would be nice to play in the red and white a bit more though. 

I agree about the third kit, I really like it - but I also like the black and gold of the similar WSW kit too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I actually dont think this is true and tend to think you might find it makes a bit more of a resurgence next year.

Inside knowledge or gut feel? 

Because the signs point towards a phase out. How many times have we worn it this season? As I said above, they didn’t include it in FIFA19 either. 

If there is a commercial incentive here then why wouldn’t they keep marketing/using it as the away kit? 

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Inside knowledge or gut feel? 

Because the signs point towards a phase out. How many times have we worn it this season? As I said above, they didn’t include it in FIFA19 either. 

If there is a commercial incentive here then why wouldn’t they keep marketing/using it as the away kit? 

Gut feel, based around the comments of acknowledging that the fans are a bit discontent. I dont think they are actively getting rid of it tbh, but im aware it doesnt look that way on face value.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Gut feel, based around the comments of acknowledging that the fans are a bit discontent. I dont think they are actively getting rid of it tbh, but im aware it doesnt look that way on face value.

I'm a bit torn because, as I said before, the third kit is really nice and it's my favourite. 

But the club really should be making more of an effort to incorporate Heart and the away kit is the perfect opportunity to do that. 

I think that as the league expands and if we qualify for Asia, the opportunities for using the third kit will increase to perhaps a couple of matches per season but we'd still be able to use the red and white for most away matches. 

13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I'm a bit torn because, as I said before, the third kit is really nice and it's my favourite. 

But the club really should be making more of an effort to incorporate Heart and the away kit is the perfect opportunity to do that. 

I think that as the league expands and if we qualify for Asia, the opportunities for using the third kit will increase to perhaps a couple of matches per season but we'd still be able to use the red and white for most away matches. 

Actually we cant wear red and white away when we play Bris, Adelaide and WSW because of clashes, and we just dont for derbies. So essentially the pool should be the other 6 games plus 3 each year.

Have we only worn it once this season?

• Like 1

Forgive me, but to me the whole thing is so simple. Munn apparently said (and I wasn't there solely because I didn't know it was on) that the club was aware that it wasn't connecting with supporters as well as it did in the Heart days. Here's one way of recognising that quite a few supporters (I don't know how many) originally supported Heart:

1. Acknowledge our Heart heritage by some red somewhere on our home kit (and not only on the badge) - see the NYC kit with narrow orange vertical stripe.

2. Play in red and white away from home when and where we can.

3. Have a third kit that doesn't make us look anything like our city rivals Melbourne Victory.

Anything else is just over-complicating the issue.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Forgive me, but to me the whole thing is so simple. Munn apparently said (and I wasn't there solely because I didn't know it was on) that the club was aware that it wasn't connecting with supporters as well as it did in the Heart days. Here's one way of recognising that quite a few supporters (I don't know how many) originally supported Heart:

1. Acknowledge our Heart heritage by some red somewhere on our home kit (and not only on the badge) - see the NYC kit with narrow orange vertical stripe.

3. Have a third kit that doesn't make us look anything like our city rivals Melbourne Victory.

Munn has got nothing to say really, maybe he is just a puppet?

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

FYI the event was organised by tge travelling fans group. Thry have a Facebook grouo which the event was announced in. It wasn't a club run event.

On 13/02/2019 at 10:28 AM, bt50 said:

I went. Fantastic night. Very well ran. Kudos to the club for putting money over the bar and a bit of food as well, as well as the MCTF who organised a great event.

All three spoke terrifically well and were as candid as they could possibly be without crossing lines. 

About 40 or so in attendance id say, and Wazza was pretty much the last to leave. He might not be much of a coach, but he's a hell of a good bloke. You'd be hard pressed not to like him after chatting to him for 5 or so minutes. The man can tell a story.

It's a pity that Munn is shackled by his handlers so much media-wise; he's a delight to listen to and in my mind at least, there's no doubt he's the man for the job. Very passionate, incredibly bright and imo could talk himself out of a Gulag and into a ministry role.

Were you able to gauge whether Munn and the local Melb City admin have much control over the club? Or is it run pretty much from Manchester? I’m not sure I have ever seen a satisfactory answer to this and personally I’m still not sure what the situation is

Edited by Dylan

10 hours ago, Dylan said:

Were you able to gauge whether Munn and the local Melb City admin have much control over the club? Or is it run pretty much from Manchester? I’m not sure I have ever seen a satisfactory answer to this and personally I’m still not sure what the situation is

From what I know from being around clubs I'd wager the technical director has the biggest say in how things will be run. CEO is a numbers position man, the criticism has to be placed elsewhere

8 hours ago, jeffplz said:

From what I know from being around clubs I'd wager the technical director has the biggest say in how things will be run. CEO is a numbers position man, the criticism has to be placed elsewhere

I dare say that we arnt run like a normal club. I was actually more referring to off field decisions and how much control we have locally. Issues like a bit of red (im a big advocate of a red heart on the home kit in the same style as the heart logo) on the home kit and issues like the FRG group which is basically useless these days (sorry @Torn Asunder).

Id like to know how much control the local staff have control over what action the club takes locally, things like the old coach the coaches that heart did etc.  Or do they just have to do what that City in the community thing tells them to do?

• Like 1

I don’t know what to say about Scott Munn acknowledging they have a communication issue with fans.

He’s been the CEO since day dot, he would know what works & what doesn’t and would surely be only too aware of what fans are concerned about.

So he knows his corporate team aren’t delivering- is that a competence issue or is it an approval from Manchester issue or a bit of both?

Acknowledging you are doing a poor job when you’ve been at it for 9 years does not grant you a free pass.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, rass said:

With all respect JW, I think you're just jumping on anything at the moment.

The graphic for last year's Macca's City Cup actually had even more dark blue in it.

@rass You're right. I am. I'm very angry over what's happened this season, because of what I see as a fail in management at all levels, especially over Bruno Fornaroli.

Apologies. Perhaps I should take a breather from it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@rass You're right. I am. I'm very angry over what's happened this season, because of what I see as a fail in management at all levels, especially over Bruno Fornaroli.

Apologies. Perhaps I should take a breather from it all.

No need to apologise, I think we're all feeling a disconnect to the club atm.

FWIW though, like others on here, I do believe there is much more to the Bruno story than we all know. So as poorly as it was handled, I don't think us going all rage mode over it really doesn't help anyone.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Here we go - pushing the dark blue again.
image.png.8a9e36e51e409ea347851b4894a835b0.png

@rass @jw1739

Whilst a degree of self control is needed when discussing matters involving the club these days I don't think jw is out of line here at all. In fact he's bang on the money. CFG, because it would certainly be a directive of theirs I think, is totally fucked because they're completely out of touch with supporters. They clearly choose to ignore how much supporters dislike the navy blue despite overwhelming backlash to the colour. It was only months ago there was huge negativity on the fan designed scarf having so much navy blue on it. 

It's simple for me. This is just another example of how distant people feel to the club right now and in the face of such adversity the club is failing to respond appropriately. And if they choose to do so willingly they deserve every little bit of negativity they get coming their way. And the more I think about it, it is stuff like this that deserves more backlash than the results themselves. Many clubs around the world struggle with results but they have loyal supporter bases held together by pride in the club they support. This club not only doesn't deliver results but also takes away any pride in supporting the club. And for me that's a tough pill to swallow. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Here we go - pushing the dark blue again.
image.png.8a9e36e51e409ea347851b4894a835b0.png

Officially Manchester City has navy blue in their kit, the socks are navy. Maybe that’s why our marketing department is left with no choice.

I don’t mind this ad but navy on the kit and scarfs should be avoided.

Edited by Mr MO

28 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Sorry I thought I supported Melbourne City, not Manchester City. 

My mistake.

Yup but marketing and fan gear seems to be centrally controlled by CFG especially with all the Nike gear, Manchester seems to be using lots of navy and so do we.

• 1 month later...

Joint winners of the Golden Boot - Ritchie De Laet and Riley McGree.
Rising Star: Ramy Najjarine
Goal of the Year: Luke Brattan
Supporters' Player of the Year: Ritchie De Laet
Player of the Year: Eugene Galekovic

Nothing for Bart - I'm astonished.

Edited by jw1739

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Surely only Joyce is allowed to voted for this event....Eugene made 3 good saves in one game and then cost us a top 4 finish with errors in several games towards the end of the season. Joke.

Agree and disagree. Eugene was not our best player this season, nor our second best player. But I think to say he just had 3 good save in one game is pretty unfair. He had a lot more good games then he did bad, but the bad just seemed to all come at the end of the year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Agree and disagree. Eugene was not our best player this season, nor our second best player. But I think to say he just had 3 good save in one game is pretty unfair. He had a lot more good games then he did bad, but the bad just seemed to all come at the end of the year.

He has been consistently 75% and will have featured in many top 3 players of the game. As a result, and in a season of mediocrity and underperformance, this is a stastical likelihood.

Barring two or three games i think he's had a terrific season and was deservedly our POTY.

I attended last night, and just based on his acceptance speech, there's no chance he retires at the end of this season. IMO we'll take Galekovic and Delianov into the season as our two keepers. I dont think Bouzanis will come back.

47 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Barring two or three games i think he's had a terrific season and was deservedly our POTY.

I attended last night, and just based on his acceptance speech, there's no chance he retires at the end of this season. IMO we'll take Galekovic and Delianov into the season as our two keepers. I dont think Bouzanis will come back.

Can you tell us more about last night? How was Munn's speech?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IssySG said:

Don’t read to much in my exact words, you get the gist he’s not the player of the year. Not enough consistency for that and at the end season is usually when it really matters.

Edited by Mr MO

9 hours ago, bt50 said:

How was Wazzas speech? Could you sense he might retire.