Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC Functions & Events Thread

n i k o

Yeah I did. Really good turnout compared to events past. Morale was high after the win on the weekend, and because of the continuous stream of free pizza. Good hearing the players speak, the night was a success.

Also, Good said he was still a couple weeks away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IssySG said:

Yeah I did. Really good turnout compared to events past. Morale was high after the win on the weekend, and because of the continuous stream of free pizza. Good hearing the players speak, the night was a success.

Did MOH give any indication how long he would be out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IssySG said:

Thanks for the report. Always good to get feedback on here from those who attend these functions.

On 08/10/2018 at 9:06 PM, IssySG said:

People planning on making it out to Family Day this weekend?

On 09/10/2018 at 1:24 AM, Torn Asunder said:

Of course, see you there

I haven't seen any feedback from anywhere on Family Day this year, but then I was overseas 10th-18th October. What was it like? 

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Apparently there was a meeting of the City Travelling Fans group with Munn, Joyce and Jamieson at the Imperial last night. Anyone go? Anyone heard any feedback?

I went. Fantastic night. Very well ran. Kudos to the club for putting money over the bar and a bit of food as well, as well as the MCTF who organised a great event.

All three spoke terrifically well and were as candid as they could possibly be without crossing lines. 

About 40 or so in attendance id say, and Wazza was pretty much the last to leave. He might not be much of a coach, but he's a hell of a good bloke. You'd be hard pressed not to like him after chatting to him for 5 or so minutes. The man can tell a story.

It's a pity that Munn is shackled by his handlers so much media-wise; he's a delight to listen to and in my mind at least, there's no doubt he's the man for the job. Very passionate, incredibly bright and imo could talk himself out of a Gulag and into a ministry role.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't agree with this more. Honestly after last night I'd want to play under Joyce and with Jamo. Was interesting to hear them being pretty open about the whole Bruno situation. I think they gave about as much detail as you can expect to ever get. 

Also Joyce can fucking talk, loves rambling on. 

42 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I went. Fantastic night. Very well ran. Kudos to the club for putting money over the bar and a bit of food as well, as well as the MCTF who organised a great event.

All three spoke terrifically well and were as candid as they could possibly be without crossing lines. 

About 40 or so in attendance id say, and Wazza was pretty much the last to leave. He might not be much of a coach, but he's a hell of a good bloke. You'd be hard pressed not to like him after chatting to him for 5 or so minutes. The man can tell a story.

It's a pity that Munn is shackled by his handlers so much media-wise; he's a delight to listen to and in my mind at least, there's no doubt he's the man for the job. Very passionate, incredibly bright and imo could talk himself out of a Gulag and into a ministry role.

Im not being facetious here or anything but genuinely curious as I wasn't there last night....

What is it about Munn that makes you think he can make the right decisions for the club, have the know how to appoint the right people within the club to be a success? 

Edited by n i k o

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Im not being facetious here or anything but genuinely curious as I wasn't there last night....

I'm curious what you got form last night that told you the Joyce was a good man manager, could select the right players for the job and had tactical nouse to lead us to a championship? 

Same with Munn, from last night what is it about him that makes you think he can make the right decisions for the club, have the know how to appoint the right people within the club to be a success? 

Essentially i still don't think Joyce is the man for the job, but basically due to his tactical nous. He did explain a few decisions to me that i specifically pointed out within games, to his credit, and its fair to say that we dont know all the details all the time too. I wont go into them, as i dont think thats fair to publish them on a public forum when some of it relates to tactics etc.
Same as ive said all along really; i dont think my opinion of him particularly changed last night. Basically the players that have left or been ostracized have been because they havent adhered to the team rules, which the team themselves, not Joyce, set. In saying that without knowing specifics, imo its difficult to comment on man management specifically, but i tend to think both angles are probably true at once with that. Joyce doesnt massage the situation as well as he could, but he also cant bend the rules to suit certain players when theyre rules the team themselves set.
Basically i think you can genuinely question his approach and whether he's up to it, without suggesting that he's not giving it everything he's got and doesnt want whats best for the club, fans and players.

In regards to Munn, we simply chatted to him at length about numerous things and he makes perfect sense. I've also spoken to lots of people over a number of years now that have dealt with him, worked for him or still do, and they are all absolutely glowing in their praise of him. Perhaps id suggest that things are not always as black or white as media and exposed facts like to point towards, and when you have something approaching a fuller picture you appreciate the logic and theory behind every thing a bit more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Basically the players that have left or been ostracized have been because they havent adhered to the team rules, which the team themselves, not Joyce, set.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I just assumed that WJ was the one who had introduced these team rules but it makes more sense that the players had contributed to them and bought into it.

Do you think that those players believed they were above the rules because of their experience or standing?

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Essentially i still don't think Joyce is the man for the job, but basically due to his tactical nous. He did explain a few decisions to me that i specifically pointed out within games, to his credit, and its fair to say that we dont know all the details all the time too. I wont go into them, as i dont think thats fair to publish them on a public forum when some of it relates to tactics etc.
Same as ive said all along really; i dont think my opinion of him particularly changed last night. Basically the players that have left or been ostracized have been because they havent adhered to the team rules, which the team themselves, not Joyce, set. In saying that without knowing specifics, imo its difficult to comment on man management specifically, but i tend to think both angles are probably true at once with that. Joyce doesnt massage the situation as well as he could, but he also cant bend the rules to suit certain players when theyre rules the team themselves set.
Basically i think you can genuinely question his approach and whether he's up to it, without suggesting that he's not giving it everything he's got and doesnt want whats best for the club, fans and players.

In regards to Munn, we simply chatted to him at length about numerous things and he makes perfect sense. I've also spoken to lots of people over a number of years now that have dealt with him, worked for him or still do, and they are all absolutely glowing in their praise of him. Perhaps id suggest that things are not always as black or white as media and exposed facts like to point towards, and when you have something approaching a fuller picture you appreciate the logic and theory behind every thing a bit more.

Sorry I removed my questions about Joyce as they didn't apply to your comments about last night but thanks for the response. I don't doubt he wants to succeed either.

In response to your comments about Munn, if he's the right man for the job as you say then someone else head should be on the chopping block for half a decade of underachieving. 

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Sorry I removed my questions about Joyce as they didn't apply to your comments about last night but thanks for the response. I don't doubt he wants to succeed either.

In response to your comments about Munn, if he's the right man for the job as you say then someone else head should be on the chopping block for half a decade of underachieving. 

To your last point, could that someone be Michael Petrillo?

He began in October 2015 as the Head of Talent Management but at some point moved to the Director of Football role. 

I think he flies under the radar.

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

To your last point, could that someone be Michael Petrillo?

He began in October 2015 as the Head of Talent Management but at some point moved to the Director of Football role. 

I think he flies under the radar.

Could very well be. Our players signings have been hit and miss. However I'm more bothered by the people in charge of making the coaching decisions. And closer to your point the magnifying glass needs to be put on those that hired Petrillo to begin with. It's the people that had the power too move him to the Director of Football role that are in question. I'm looking at 'Munn and Pearce specifically. If Petrillo isn't good for the job then who lacked the know how to hire him or move him up the chain of command in the first place. 

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I wish I'd known the event was on. One could question why Petrillo wasn't there...

Many thanks for the feedback - invaluable stuff for the rest of us.

I'm still left with the question of why we're in our ninth season of underachievement.

Reading some of the comments, we are being brainwashed at such an event. Munn and Warren are lovely people, I’m sure that they have reasons for every decision made - the facts are that we are underachieving and then those decisions need to be evaluated.

Could somebody tell me what rules did Bruno break then, love some insight? Was it so bad that we wanted to risk our season.

Did somebody ask why we only recruited one central forward at the start of the season?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Could very well be. Our players signings have been hit and miss. However I'm more bothered by the people in charge of making the coaching decisions. And closer to your point the magnifying glass needs to be put on those that hired Petrillo to begin with. It's the people that had the power too move him to the Director of Football role that are in question. I'm looking at 'Munn and Pearce specifically. If Petrillo isn't good for the job then who lacked the know how to hire him or move him up the chain of command in the first place. 

A typical case of competence being confused with charisma.

Charismatic people are good at deflecting the truth and convincing you everyone else is to blame, and that their lies are the truth by talking a lot about nothing and making you feel good.

I don't buy into any of it.

They all have to go.

I just want their people that get the job done.

I don't want to like them, I want them to get results.

Just when I was looking optimistically about our new signings this bullshit drags me back into 'Melbourne City depression'.

:droy:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Reading some of the comments, we are being brainwashed at such event. Munn and Warren are lovely people, I’m sure that they have reasons for every decision made - the facts are that we are underachieving and then those decisions need to be evaluated.

Could somebody tell me what rules did Bruno break then, love some insight then? Was is so bad that we wanted risk our season.

Did somebody ask why we only recruited one central forward at the start of the season?

Just a small sample:

Jamo spoke about a lack of professionalism from Bruno, saying at all professional athletes have standards and team rules that they need to meet both on and field the field. He said that Bruno had broken those rules and not met those standards "not once, not twice" (He said those words a few times). Sort of stating a pattern of behaviour. 

Joyce spoke about how he'd told Bruno mid week that Bruno would be on the bench for Brisbane away. That Bruno didn't react in the right way. He mentioned that Jamo had been dropped a couple weeks earlier (maybe against CCM, not sure) and that there are two ways of reacting, working hard to get back into the team and proving yourself or doing the opposite.  

EDIT: If you were there, feel free to pull me up on anything wrong.

Edited by HeartLand

34 minutes ago, HeartLand said:

Just a small sample:

Jamo spoke about a lack of professionalism from Bruno, saying at all professional athletes have standards and team rules that they need to meet both on and field the field. He said that Bruno had broken those rules and not met those standards "not once, not twice" (He said those words a few times). Sort of stating a pattern of behaviour. 

Joyce spoke about how he'd told Bruno mid week that Bruno would be on the bench for Brisbane away. That Bruno didn't react in the right way. He mentioned that Jamo had been dropped a couple weeks earlier (maybe against CCM, not sure) and that there are two ways of reacting, working hard to get back into the team and proving yourself or doing the opposite.  

That is very naughty of Bruno of course. The issue I have with this is, that this is not kindergarten, this is corporate environment where players are employees. If Bruno was out of order he should have been released or sacked in breach of employment contract ie lack of professionalism. I'm waiting for the day that my boss sends me home on full pay for being naughty, it won't happen as my employer would sort it out and continue working in the teams or department best interested.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That is very naughty of Bruno of course. The issue I have with this is, that this is not kindergarten, this is corporate environment where players are employees. If Bruno was out of order he should have been released or sacked in breach of employment contract ie lack of professionalism. I'm waiting for the day that my boss sends me home on full pay for being naughty, it won't happen as my employer would sort it out and continue working in the teams or department best interested.

Tbh I reckon he was kept on as he would've just moved to another a-league club, therefore it may have been in the best interests to just pay him to not score against us.

1 hour ago, HeartLand said:

Just a small sample:

Pretty much an echo of the Alen Stajcic situation.  Bruno has been so unprofessional that we've suspended him, but we can't tell you just what that unprofessionalism is. In Bruno's case he's still training with the team however...I just don't understand this at all. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I can only assume from all of this that he broke, apparently repeatedly, rules agreed by the playing staff.  Like anything that goes on in your work appraisal or your dealings with HR, it's not necessarily for public consumption. Whatever he did, it either wasn't sufficient to be deemed gross misconduct (which would get him sacked) or that to sack him wasn't felt to be in the club's interest ie. because it is precisely what Bruno wanted, or because he would end up playing against us.  In this case, the greatest sanction that the club can apply is to stick him in the stands.

Now your employer may not simply send you home on full pay for being naughty, but in many circumstances that is exactly what happens. 'Gardening leave' is frequently a sanction used by employers, particularly pending an investigation or some form of legal process.  That isn't what is happening here, but to make the point that there are plenty of circumstances where an employee can be in hot water, but not necessarily summarily dismissed.

We're not going to find out everything - I suspect they have said as much as they can.  But in the end this is HR stuff, and if they say too much they themselves could end up on the wrong end of a court case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty much an echo of the Alen Stajcic situation.  Bruno has been so unprofessional that we've suspended him, but we can't tell you just what that unprofessionalism is. In Bruno's case he's still training with the team however...I just don't understand this at all. 

I'd be cautious about drawing parallels. Stajcic's case will probably end up in court. I doubt Bruno's will, unless the club says too much. Moreover, they don't feel the same.  Immediately Stajcic was sacked, players came out and defended him, even though they were still FFA employees as members of the squad.  There hasn't been a rush to defend Bruno from the inside, other than comments from a couple of leading players to 'sort it out' which could be aimed at Bruno as much as the club. We don't know, and we are drawing a long bow to make some of the conclusions that are being made in discussions on this. I'm simply prepared to accept that it's gone pear shaped, to move on, and accept that I'll never know what went on.

There's frankly a much bigger question.  We have an MD who by all accounts comes over as competent, compelling and committed (he certainly came over very well when interviewed on the pod last year). We have a manager who comes over as genuinely decent, straight and articulate - and whose reputation in the industry is excellent (excepting Wigan fans, and I'll give them a pass anyway - unlike most of you I've seen Wigan and it's a shithole populated by neanderthals).  Players in the squad genuinely seem to like him. We have a roster of players which is accepted as being of high quality (at best a little unbalanced). So why given all of that are we so palpably failing on the pitch, and commercially in attracting fans?  Because on the face of it, there's enough there which is sound for us to do well.  That's the conundrum, the elephant in the room.

Edited by fensaddler

39 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

There's frankly a much bigger question.  We have an MD who by all accounts comes over as competent, compelling and committed (he certainly came over very well when interviewed on the pod last year). We have a manager who comes over as genuinely decent, straight and articulate - and whose reputation in the industry is excellent (excepting Wigan fans, and I'll give them a pass anyway - unlike most of you I've seen Wigan and it's a shithole populated by neanderthals).  Players in the squad genuinely seem to like him. We have a roster of players which is accepted as being of high quality (at best a little unbalanced). So why given all of that are we so palpably failing on the pitch, and commercially in attracting fans?  Because on the face of it, there's enough there which is sound for us to do well.  That's the conundrum, the elephant in the room.

Agreed. As I said above - why are we in our ninth season of underachievement, both as Heart and as City?

I was also there last night. I found what Scott Munn found to say especially interesting - as its a perspective we don't really hear from.

Munn discussed how the club is for more teams in the a league, how they're pro an independent A League and that meetings about what that an Independent A League looks like are currently underway. He spoke about how a lot of frustrations of the fans, are also frustrations for the club i.e. player turnover. He talked about how its difficult to get players to sign longterm contracts. Something else I thought was most interesting is that he talked about how they look at where City fans are most prevalent in the North and as a result, thats where they specifically spend a lot of the time trying to grow and gain fans. He said he wasn't that phased by West Melbourne because membership wise we've never been that strong in the west - he also did specifically say that it didn't mean we were going to give up on trying to grow members in West Melbourne. Munn talked about and acknowledged that the club isnt as connected to their members as they used to be in the Heart days, and that they're trying to honestly work at being better in that space, and that the event itself was an indication of that.

Sorry if this is impossible to read, I'm trying to recall everything I found interesting in a sporadic order.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

I was also there last night. I found what Scott Munn found to say especially interesting - as its a perspective we don't really hear from.

Munn discussed how the club is for more teams in the a league, how they're pro an independent A League and that meetings about what that an Independent A League looks like are currently underway. He spoke about how a lot of frustrations of the fans, are also frustrations for the club i.e. player turnover. He talked about how its difficult to get players to sign longterm contracts. Something else I thought was most interesting is that he talked about how they look at where City fans are most prevalent in the North and as a result, thats where they specifically spend a lot of the time trying to grow and gain fans. He said he wasn't that phased by West Melbourne because membership wise we've never been that strong in the west - he also did specifically say that it didn't mean we were going to give up on trying to grow members in West Melbourne. Munn talked about and acknowledged that the club isnt as connected to their members as they used to be in the Heart days, and that they're trying to honestly work at being better in that space, and that the event itself was an indication of that.

Sorry if this is impossible to read, I'm trying to recall everything I found interesting in a sporadic order.

Doesn't Munn realise that it's up to him to ensure that the connections are there and work? How can they be trying to improve when it was the club that terminated "City Voice", Citizens Points, and hasn't had a meeting of the FRG for a year?

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If he stops training he might breach his contract and they can terminate it.

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'm not going to be convinced until I see changes in results. 

Thankyou

All this talk is just like an Exec or Politician. If you talk-the-talk you have to walk-the-walk 

4 hours ago, IssySG said:

He [Munn] said he wasn't that phased by West Melbourne because membership wise we've never been that strong in the west - he also did specifically say that it didn't mean we were going to give up on trying to grow members in West Melbourne. 

Beta mentality 

2 hours ago, haz said:

Did anyone ask Munn why we don't wear red & white anymore? Even though it was our clash kit this season

...and why we look like Sydney at home and like Victory away, and why we can't have a home jersey similar to NYC that reflects our heritage as Heart?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

...and why we look like Sydney at home and like Victory away, and why we can't have a home jersey similar to NYC that reflects our heritage as Heart?

I understand the heritage aspect but I love the 'third' kit. It's my favourite kit we've ever worn.

It would be nice to play in the red and white a bit more though. 

On FIFA19 (the video game), the club clearly asked for the third kit to be used as the away kit, which probably shows their intent.

They just don't like the red and white and will phase it out entirely at some point in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

They just don't like the red and white and will phase it out entirely at some point in the future. 

I actually dont think this is true and tend to think you might find it makes a bit more of a resurgence next year.

Tbh i just think we've worn the grey so much because it had a bit of novelty factor, and was one of the best selling kits in the clubs history.