Melbourne Football

RD 7 V Brisbane Friday 17/11 Suncorp Stadium KO 7:50 PM

Inferno

1 hour ago, Rasputin said:

Joyce has little idea.  He plays jakobsen malik and mauk in the middle and leaves brattan kilkenny and bud on the bench.  Plays dud roca in defence instead of jacobsen who was one of the best defenders last year.  Our forward play is a shambles.

We're you saying this when we had conceded 3 goals in 6 weeks?

Larocca has been fantastic before last night

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

So why are players so inconsistent? What is worse is that not only one player had a shocker, that happens, but three did.

Inconsistent?  La Rocca and Galekovic have had 5 superb games in a row and I would argue the main catalyst for our wins. Yes last night was an abortion and inexcusable but both have been very consistent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rasputin said:

Joyce has little idea.  He plays jakobsen malik and mauk in the middle and leaves brattan kilkenny and bud on the bench.  Plays dud roca in defence instead of jacobsen who was one of the best defenders last year.  Our forward play is a shambles.

But La Rocca has played exceptionally well prior to this.  Joyce was picking players in form and keeping to a winning team.  We'd all have picked La Rocca for this game based on recent performances.  Galekovic likewise.  And Malik had a decent game, it wasn't his fault we lost.  There will be changes and I'm sure Brattan and Kilkenny will be picked, or will be very close to being picked, in the first eleven next week.

17 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

So why are players so inconsistent? What is worse is that not only one player had a shocker, that happens, but three did.

They both have one bad game and you call them inconsistent? LA Rocca is the reason our defending has been so solid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neio said:

We're you saying this when we had conceded 3 goals in 6 weeks?

Larocca has been fantastic before last night

I was saying during the first 4 weeks we were less than convincing even though we won.  Mauk malik kamau dud roca muscat are not good enough and jakobsen is a defender.  Why are kil bud and brattan on the bench?  Joyce not up to it imo.  Next coach please.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Inconsistent?  La Rocca and Galekovic have had 5 superb games in a row and I would argue the main catalyst for our wins. Yes last night was an abortion and inexcusable but both have been very consistent. 

2 hours ago, Inferno said:

They both have one bad game and you call them inconsistent? LA Rocca is the reason our defending has been so solid. 

One of the themes that this forum has is that every season we start well and then fade, come back and dribble on. And you are right to say one bad game does not mean that the season is shot - especially with a new manager at the helm because if JVS was still here I would have known the rest of the script. What I did say that any team can have a player that has a bad game, happens all the time however we had three. What I am questioning is why did this happen? It could be plain coincidence but if over the next three weeks we see the old pattern establish itself then I don't think that it is an unfair question, although it could be argued that I am jumping the gun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

One of the themes that this forum has is that every season we start well and then fade, come back and dribble on. And you are right to say one bad game does not mean that the season is shot - especially with a new manager at the helm because if JVS was still here I would have known the rest of the script. What I did say that any team can have a player that has a bad game, happens all the time however we had three. What I am questioning is why did this happen? It could be plain coincidence but if over the next three weeks we see the old pattern establish itself then I don't think that it is an unfair question, although it could be argued that I am jumping the gun.

Look in all honesty you can analyse until the cows come home but the only reason we lost is that Galekovic didn't punch the ball when challenged by an opposition players.

This is basic stuff that individual players should be competent at and is not a reflection of the team's performance which in no way looked defensively fragile in our tactics nor our structures.

So all I suggest is to suck up the loss and move on as there is no indication that our defensive system is not working.

As for the attack, well I am optimistic seeing what the half time changes brought. The taking off of Kamau for Brattan and Killa on and the way this brought creativity and vision into our attack was blatantly obvious that no one can deny. It brought the whole middle and forward 3rd into the game and it looked so effortless the way we were setting up plays. Now throw Bruno and Brandan into the mix and we may have the best middle and forward 3rd in the league with a very solid and we'll drilled defence.

8 hours ago, japiedog said:

okay emotion of losing that ......

2 howlers  by Eugene.... that's them out of the way for the season 

La Rocca has a shocker....

Young makes 3 top drawer saves from Fitzy , Killer, and Budz

3 points thrown away..

did we really play that badly, if you take the howlers fron Eugene & La Rocca out of the equation, ???

I thought Brattan & Killer certainly added something 

The problem is that playing well means not making howlers, not playing well in between howlers

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

The focus here is on our defence but the real problem is that we are still struggling to score. Last night we scored our first goal from open play since Round 2. Sure they all count but our poor efficiency in front of goal makes it difficult for us to respond, especially if we fall behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

The outcome last night has been doing my head in all day. How did La Rocca and Galek have such stinkers when they have been part of a pretty rock solid defensive structure. It seemed from the opening minutes that La Rocca was shaky and it only got worse. That Kamau had a poor one, that he has the body strength of a lab rat doesn't surprise me. Our main problem up to last night was failing to put a really decent score on the board in a convincing manner. Still need to work on that.

The one good aspect last night was that Wazza wasn't going to wait to the 60min mark to make changes but he wielded the axe at half time and it did make a difference. The trouble was that the third conceded goal was the killer punch and that was that. So over the coming week Wazza will be looking closely at La Rocca and Galek in training to gauge whether the shit performance was a blip or there is something more to worry about. I don't think he's going to jump to conclusions in the heat of the moment.

A worry is the Cahill issue and McCormack if some of the rumours are correct.

On Timmy, http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-warren-joyce-and-city-set-for-clear-the-air-talks-on-socceroos-future-20171118-gzo2k6.html

Opening two paras:

"Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce and unsettled Socceroo Tim Cahill met on Saturday as the latter's demands over first team action threaten to cloud what has been a solid start to the season for City.

But it is unlikely that the club will bow to any demands for a guarantee of a starting position even though the striker is likely to be an important member of the World Cup squad should Ange Postecoglou remain in charge for the tournament in Russia."

• Like 1

How do some of you deal with regular occurrences in life? Like the time your local supermarket runs out of bread do you call for the building to be burnt down? Jeez it was one game where it was 100% the players fault. There was even a statistic, "In the City/Heart vs Brisbane fixture, out of 22 games, the visitors have only won 3 times. If we lose the next two, then start to worry. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, haz said:

How do some of you deal with regular occurrences in life? Like the time your local supermarket runs out of bread do you call for the building to be burnt down? Jeez it was one game where it was 100% the players fault. There was even a statistic, "In the City/Heart vs Brisbane fixture, out of 22 games, the visitors have only won 3 times. If we lose the next two, then start to worry. 

Agree about some of the reactions to the game.

There's a reason those stats exist, we weren't anywhere near being a championship winning side at the time. I guess the idea is not to take those past trends/stats as expected future outcomes but to buck them to show that we are a championship winning side. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Agree about some of the reactions to the game.

There's a reason those stats exist, we weren't anywhere near being a championship winning side at the time. I guess the idea is not to take those past trends/stats as expected future outcomes but to buck them to show that we are a championship winning side. 

Precisely. I can share with you all our cumulative results against all the other A-League clubs if you're really into self-harm. They are not pretty reading, although they are better for the "City era" than for the 7+ seasons of our whole existence.

Of the current 9 other clubs, in League matches we've beaten only one - Phoenix - more times than they've beaten us.

10 hours ago, haz said:

This seems to be cut and pasted from the forum back when Aloisi was manager. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The problem is that playing well means not making howlers, not playing well in between howlers

howler means just that , a mistake made that is totally against the norm. not something that occurs regularly... 

something that 99.99% of time wouldn't occur... even more so that 3 happened in one match, this is not a coaching problem, just a human error that the players in question will be feeling harded than us armchair experts 

glad to see the half glass empty

7 minutes ago, japiedog said:

howler means just that , a mistake made that is totally against the norm. not something that occurs regularly... 

something that 99.99% of time wouldn't occur... even more so that 3 happened in one match, this is not a coaching problem, just a human error that the players in question will be feeling harded than us armchair experts 

The La Rocca error was always coming at some stage when you pass the ball backwards as much as we do. I've already seen several passes like La Rocca's go astray for other clubs - a couple in the past two weeks IIRC. And WSW's goal last week resulted from another back-pass gone astray.

Galekovic's two errors were puzzling however, as he's been reliable for us so far, although against WSW he wasn't exactly impressive once the ball came back off the post.

More generally, IMO City suffers from the burden of expectation that results since we became part of CFG. There's a tendency for the media and us fans to expect that the old Heart inconsistency should have been well and truly eliminated by now, and that anything like the loss to Brisbane is a sign that we've relapsed into the old ways again. I'm afraid that I don't think that monkey is going to come off our back until we do actually win a major trophy and play in the ACL.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, japiedog said:

In that case, it's a regular mistake, the difference on Friday is that we were punished for all of them. It's less of a problem if we're scoring 2 or 3 goals a game, much more of an issue when we score 1 goal. I'm not being negative, we either need to find a way to concentrate for 90+ minutes, compensate for mistakes or score more goals with the myriad chances we make. Preferably we need to do all 3 of these. The defensive structure has improved, our attacking will improve when we have Bruno, Brandan and Carusca on the pitch, but 3 lapses in concentration in a single game, each of which results in a goal, is not acceptable

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The La Rocca error was always coming at some stage when you pass the ball backwards as much as we do. I've already seen several passes like La Rocca's go astray for other clubs - a couple in the past two weeks IIRC. And WSW's goal last week resulted from another back-pass gone astray.

Galekovic's two errors were puzzling however, as he's been reliable for us so far, although against WSW he wasn't exactly impressive once the ball came back off the post.

More generally, IMO City suffers from the burden of expectation that results since we became part of CFG. There's a tendency for the media and us fans to expect that the old Heart inconsistency should have been well and truly eliminated by now, and that anything like the loss to Brisbane is a sign that we've relapsed into the old ways again. I'm afraid that I don't think that monkey is going to come off our back until we do actually win a major trophy and play in the ACL.

I agree with this. It seems that other coaches have noticed the back passes from LaRocca and see a turnover here as a likely scoring opportunity. A coaching response is to ensure that LaRocca has both a backpass and a forward pass option to a player positioned between the lines so that a team press is more difficult when he has the ball