Melbourne Football

RD 7 V Brisbane Friday 17/11 Suncorp Stadium KO 7:50 PM

Inferno

A loss would certainly be the old Heart/City pattern. It concerns me how our wingers are the only players to have scored in open play this season, and even then it's been a while. Roar is pretty poor though, even at home. Even a draw would feel like a loss to them. So far I've seen evidence that our mentality has changed from last season, the big question though is whether it has changed enough and I'm not convinced yet.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

So I make it 4 games, that's 6 hours, since we scored a goal from open play.

Pretty concerning.

As i said in another thread, I'd generally agree, however we've had no lack of creating open play chances; its purely a finishing issue atm which imo isnt as concerning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

So I make it 4 games, that's 6 hours, since we scored a goal from open play.

Pretty concerning.

I'm not so concerned. It can be argued that the free-kicks and penalties are because the opposition is fouling us in our open play approach as a last resort before we scored anyway. They all count equally - whether from open play, the penalty spot or a direct free-kick.

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not so concerned. It can be argued that the free-kicks and penalties are because the opposition is fouling us in our open play approach as a last resort before we scored anyway. They all count equally - whether from open play, the penalty spot or a direct free-kick.

I agree that poor finishing is less concerning than a lack of scoring opportunities, but it's still a great concern. At present we convert about 1 shot in 10, that means that there'll be many games where we won't score unless we can become more efficient. Hopefully this changes when we have Timmy, Bruno and Brandan playing

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Dean Bouzanis, 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 5. Bart Schenkeveld, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8. Neil Kilkenny,
9. Marcelo Carrusca, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Bradeyn Crowley, 13. Stefan Mauk, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 25. Iacopo La Rocca,
26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 44. Ross McCormack
Ins: 8. Neil Kilkenny (promoted), 12. Bradeyn Crowley (promoted), 17. Tim Cahill (returns from international duty) 
Outs: nil
Unavailable: 23. Bruno Fornaroli (ankle)

4 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

No Fernando Brandan listed; either back on the training track and getting close to full fitness or accidentally overlooked injury wise

Hasnt been listed the last few. Looking at social media he seems to be training.

Eitherway its still better then the dreaded 'Insert Name - Calf (1 Week)'

Galekovic

Muscat      Schenkeveld       La Rocca   Jamieson

Jakobsen           Malik/Mauk

Carrusca

Fitzgerald             McCormack          Kamau

SUBS : Bouzanis   Budzinski Malik/Mauk Cahill Kilkenny

Think one of Malik or Mauk will be dropped for Chelo this week, most likely Mauk although Malik could be the man given work rate factor. Cahill to replace Ross early 2nd half.
The other point of note is that Kamau might be out injured, in which case Mauk replaces him on the left for mine.

Think we'll amost entirely replicate R1, with a 2-0 win and goals to Ross and Fitzy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R410 said:

Maybe Fernando is fit an available and Joyce is just not picking him because of Fitzy's good form?

Also, i cant see Joyce being a massive fan of his diving antics.

IIRC we went over this several times in the past.

Fernando is no different from Arzani and Tongyik. (The latter two are young players, but they are full members of the senior squad and not Scholarship players.) None of the three are named; IMO this means that they are all deemed available but have not been selected for this match-day squad.

These squads are very provisional anyway.

12 minutes ago, Dylan said:

if Wazza keeps banging on about performances keeping the same starting 11 im not sure how Mauk or Malik start this week. 

Mauk perhaps, but Malik was pretty good last week bar the mistake (which wasnt completely his fault anyway). 2nd half in particular he was terrific. I was expecting Chelo to start in the AM position tbh, but if he's out then Mauk may get a reprieve. Still dont think Bud starts at this stage.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

if Wazza keeps banging on about performances keeping the same starting 11 im not sure how Mauk or Malik start this week. 

From what I can see, as long as Fat Ross is starting, Mauk will start with him. We need someone up front to run their guts out to make up for Fat Ross waddling about and not putting on any defensive pressure. Budz doesn't seem to be particularly athletic and Carrusca is getting old, has had a few injuries in the last couple of years and never had a big engine to begin with.

Of course, if we had more players further up the field, our attacking players would be able to share the load a bit more.

And I don't mean to shit on Celo and Ross, they are fine players but not workhorses. Brisbane have set up so Maccarone barely has to run but the way we have set up requires our attackers to run a lot.

Joyce's presser was fantastic.  On Timmy, he is an important part of the team, but no one is bigger than the club.  On the unlucky one and his comments on TC, he says he wouldn't comment on another club's players in that way.  Completely unshakable and professional.   He's the boss and it shows.  Also, Bart's comments about wanting to be top of the league were 100% believable.  Looking forward to the game and I reckon if we can score relatively early, we'll smash em.