Incredibly disappointing

Positives:

Heart and City prior to this season would have lost this game

McCormack had lots of chances

Looked more fluent going forward with Carusca and Marcin on the pitch

Bort is a machine

Bruno's Twitter commentary

Negatives:

Same old same old, a chance to go top and we choke. Still we didn't lose but it feels like a loss

McCormack missed so many chances

Ugly football

Crowd looked poor on TV, does anyone have a figure?

Couldn't hear Melburnians on TV

The biggest negatives - we failed to capitalise on so many chances but most concerning was how we almost folded as soon as we conceded a very soft goal. Contrast that to the womens team that conceded 2 soft goals and beat the form team of the W League 5-2

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Watching McCormack tonight reminds me how spoiled we have been the last couple of seasons with Fornaroli.

With the chances tonight Fornaroli would have easily had 3

Actually thought Malik and a number of others looked much better once Carrusca came.Ā  What a difference a proper number 10 / creative outlet in midfield can make!!!

• Like 5

1. I thought it was our most entertaining game of the season.Ā 

2. We should have won by at least 2 goals

3. I rated Maliks perfomance besides being involved in costing us a penalty

4. Budzinski doesn't come on more often cause he goes missing

5. Fitzy again just missing a goal

6. Ross. Unbelievable misses tonight.

7. The terrace doing the victory chant yet again is embarrassingĀ as a supporter

Ā 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Embee said:

Haha man there's been some hilarious posts in here. If we have even a below average A-League striker tonight we win by at least three. Took an absolute howler of a mistake for the Wandertards to score and Ross butchered about 4 clear goal scoring opportunities.

At this point Bruno can't get healthy quick enough because outside of set pieces Ross is an absolute hack.

At last someone who was at the same game as me.

A couple of things to add.

1.Best player on the field was their keeper. Kept them in the game.

2. Carussca was fantastic when he came on at half time.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

7. The terrace doing the victory chant yet again is embarrassingĀ as a supporter

Ā 

Which Victory chant? If you're talking about the celebration after the goal l love it. Rub it into them.

I actually enjoyed the game bar obviously not getting the winning goal. Wanderers were completely impotent and I'm not sure if Galekovic broke a sweat.

Carusca needs to start.

Not sure if Jakobsen can remain in midfield.

Malik was fairly good minus his obvious error.Ā 

McCormack was very disapointing and he is running out of time to prove his worth.Ā 

Fitzy was superb and just needs a goal.

Mauk was average and rightly replaced.Ā 

Kamau worked hard and was servicable.Ā 

La Rocca continues to surprise me. He can actually hit a quality pass and reads the game exceptionally well.

Bort is head and shoulders our best player so far. Really really good.

Muscat was decent as long as he stays away from our attacking box.

Overall it was a good game and once we get the right balance in midfield and either McCormack improves or fucks off for Bruno we should see the goals fly in and be in the mix come finals time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I actually enjoyed the game bar obviously not getting the winning goal. Wanderers were completely impotent and I'm not sure if Galekovic broke a sweat.

Carusca needs to start.

Not sure if Jakobsen can remain in midfield.

Malik was fairly good minus his obvious error.Ā 

McCormack was very disapointing and he is running out of time to prove his worth.Ā 

Fitzy was superb and just needs a goal.

Mauk was average and rightly replaced.Ā 

Kamau worked hard and was servicable.Ā 

La Rocca continues to surprise me. He can actually hit a quality pass and reads the game exceptionally well.

Bort is head and shoulders our best player so far. Really really good.

Muscat was decent as long as he stays away from our attacking box.

Overall it was a good game and once we get the right balance in midfield and either McCormack improves or fucks off for Bruno we should see the goals fly in and be in the mix come finals time.

This was more like the match I was at. A few additional comments:
- if Carrusca starts then we will miss Mauk's defensive abilities, so we're going to have to manage that.
- Their goal was a comedy of bad errors by City - including Galekovic who should have done better once the ball rebounded off the post.
-Ā IMO Jamieson also worked very hard indeed and was close to Schenkeveld as MOTM.
- I'm not sure about Budzinski and I don't really see how he is supposed to fit into our style.
- There's a lot of indecision in our passing going forward - players taking that extra step and extra touch before releasing the ball. And too often players want to beat that extra man before passing.
- Brucey, please do something about your studs.

The attendance was 7,516. Buses were replacing trains on both the Sandy and Dandy lines, which would not have helped.
WTF was the late kick-off all about?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

He looks distraught. I'm seriously concerned for the lad's mental health and well-being.

Come on man are you serious? Any player can have a horrible game and most professional sportsman they have had many in their careers. He was disappointed as his game was horrible and cost us the win. He will be hungry to make it right I am sure.

As for the game as a whole, it was how a counter attack is played and was executed very well. I have nothing but positivity to take from this game as we had the same solid defence with an improved and potent attack with direct ball movement. Can't fault it at all from that viewpoint apart from a hiccup in defence on one occasion that got punished and the fact Ross had a shocker.

We are playing a style of football that will win the league and we are still on track.

It had 3-1 win all over it any other day.

Ross will score 5 the next 3 games and all will be forgiven.

Ā 

32 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Think the delay had to do with the Wellington game running over, which forced the W-League to start later, which forced our game to run later, then the issue with the net.

Yea exactly what the Fox commentators said

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Ā 

The Voice of Reason.

Was surprised Mauk started instead of Carrusca. Jackobsen and Malic should not start together - too many of the same type players - our attack is separated from the midfield because of that.

Ross wasted too many chances. He's a great quality, some of his passes in the midfield were EPL level, but he should of score at least 2 more with all chances he had. Missing Bruno.

Kamau was exceptional in defense, not so great up front. Fitzy was better than against Sydney but still needs to improve a lot in his decisions around penalty area.

Manny was terrible - pass accuracy probably 10%.

Overall too many missplaced passes across the board. Really need to simplify the game in the final third. Carrusca made a difference from minute 1 - needs to start regularly. Mauk is too much noise and movement with no result.

Bart (apart from his pass to Malic), La Rock and Eugene are just a pleasure to watch.

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

Come on man are you serious? Any player can have a horrible game and most professional sportsman they have had many in their careers. He was disappointed as his game was horrible and cost us the win. He will be hungry to make it right I am sure.

As for the game as a whole, it was how a counter attack is played and was executed very well. I have nothing but positivity to take from this game as we had the same solid defence with an improved and potent attack with direct ball movement. Can't fault it at all from that viewpoint apart from a hiccup in defence on one occasion that got punished and the fact Ross had a shocker.

We are playing a style of football that will win the league and we are still on track.

Ā 

Just a reminder that we've taken 1 point from our last 2 home games

• Like 1

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

Ā 

I hope you're right PM.