Melbourne Football

RD 5 V Sydney 3/11 AAMI PARK KO 7:50

Inferno

9 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

It seems the players and Joyce know just where we’re at.

The defence is solid, but our attack is really 2nd rate ATM. No goals in open play in 3 games. No goals in open play at home (AAMI) in 2 games. 

In short, back to the drawing board with our midfield, and our plans on moving the ball up field and creating chances. We’ve played 5 games, we’ve built the defence, so now it’s time to establish an attacking plan (even if it’s a simple attacking plan [it doesn’t need to be Barca football, it just has to be effective]).

Agree that the attack is really second rate. We have little creative ability up there. IMO Joyce erred in starting with Cahill alongside McCormack. Cahill never really clicked playing alongside Bruno, and I couldn't see why it was suddenly going to work with Ross. Currusca was by far the better option in my view, and he should have been on from the start, and given Arnold and Sydney a lot more to think about.

• Like 1

Another dour city match between two defensively minded teams.

A lot of similarities to the Wellington game really, as I see it Sydney had only two chances worth mentioning, one a free header that was completely butchered and then the goal. For us we had at least Three I reckon, McCormack completely butchering a red hot chance in the first half, Fitzy shot wide and someone (Bud?) not quite there for what would have been a tap in.

Disappointing to lose at home to the self proclaimed (Branko Culina) "Manchester United of Australia" (aka scum) but it could have gone either way and thus I'm not too disappointed. Plenty of games left in the season.

Performances: Schenveld continues to impress. Thought my boy Kilkenny gave us  a lift when he came on, distribution quality kicked up and we started to look more threatening.

Stress: Fuck, Timmy injured???? Oh shit hope he can at least play the home leg vs Honduras!

Edited by Shahanga
Auto incorrect fix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Another dour city match between two defensively minded teams.

A lot of similarities to the Wellington game really, as I see it Sydney had only two chances worth mentioning, one a free header that was completely butchered and then the goal. For us we had at least Three I reckon, McCormack completely butchering a red hot chance in the first half, Fitzy shot wide and someone (Bud?) not quite there for what would have been a tap in.

Disappointing to lose at home to the self proclaimed (Branko Culina) "Manchester United of Australia" (aka scum) but it could have gone either way and thus I'm not too disappointed. Plenty of games left in the season.

Performances: Schenveld continues to impress. Thought my boy Kilkenny gave us  a lift when he came on, distribution quality kicked up and we started to look more threatening.

Stress: Fuck, Timmy injured???? Oh shit hope he can at least play the home leg vs Honduras!

Ross missed the tap in.

• Like 1

My 2¢

I thought it was our best game yet, especially when Bud came on, his previous sub appearances have left a lot to be desired, but last night he was good. 

Kilkenny gave the ball away a lot and I don't think he put in a tackle at all, wasn't his best night. 

Kamau's best game, he defended well I thought and showed some nice close ball control at times, if he could sort out his final ball and shooting he would be in Europe.

Shenkevald is real quality, best defender in the league.

Mauk defended well, won the ball quite a few times and stopped Sydney playing through the middle. Didn't do much going forward, but it must have been Wazza's instructions you would think.

Bratten had a good first half, he went missing in the second.

Fitzy going forward was great, he could have gotten a goal and two assists on another night.

I must say La Rocca has been great as well, I was concerned that he would be collecting cards like Pokémon, but he has been great in every game so far.

I don't think McCormack had a good game, I hope he finds his mojo, or gets used to the players around him.

Disappointing result really, Sydney didn't create much at all.

Kamau when he got called offside and was one on one in the box was the wrong call, the refereeing was terrible, every time we went to break on a counter, someone would foul the player on the ball so they could reset their defence and not get caught out. I think Zullo was the only one to get a card for it and Carny should have had three, the referee was happy to give us yellow cards for similar fouls.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, moops said:

Kamau's best game, he defended well I thought and showed some nice close ball control at times, if he could sort out his final ball and shooting he would be in Europe.

What!!!!

He was the only reason we conceded.

He left Zullo on his own with way too much time as he did with Garruccio last week. He continually does nothing with the ball, creates minimal opportunities for other player's and loses possession way too easy. He continually has his head down and has no vision.

He is our weakest link and we will be exploited because of him.

You really need to watch the game again.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

What!!!!

He left Zullo on his own with way too much time as he did with Garruccio last week. He continually does nothing with the ball, creates minimal opportunities for other player's and loses possession way too easy. He continually has his head down and has no vision.

He probably stopped him 10 or more times, either making him pass backwards, or by putting in a couple of tackles. I thought he did well for a winger defensively, Zullo isn't a mug.

That's how I saw it, I thought Muscat was worse personally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, playmaker said:

What!!!!

Seriously.

I get the Kamau angst and even when he is best on ground you still find something to bag him for. But blaming him entirely for the goal makes zero sense. Okay if he was right back which he wasn't, okay if was defensive midfield which he wasn't. Zullo crossed it in from a position where the rb and dm should be controlling. Fitzy is as much to blame for letting the actual bloke that scored free. But really it was their only chance for the game and it was a shinned shot that was lucky to somehow bounce over La Rocca. 

Saying he was the only reason is just wrong.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moops said:

He probably stopped him 10 or more times, either making him pass backwards, or by putting in a couple of tackles. I thought he did well for a winger defensively, Zullo isn't a mug.

That's how I saw it, I thought Muscat was worse personally.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Seriously.

I get the Kamau angst and even when he is best on ground you still find something to bag him for. But blaming him entirely for the goal makes zero sense. Okay if he was right back which he wasn't okay if was defensive midfield which he wasn't. Zullo crossed it in from a position where the rb and dm should be controlling. Fitzy is as much to blame for letting the actual bloke that scored free. But really it was there only chance for the game and it was a shinned shot that was lucky to somehow bounce over La Rocca. 

Saying he was the only reason is just wrong.

Muscat's job is to swarm the box to cut the pass to the players that cut inside and he has done it well, and Kamau's job is to block the full back in the overlap and has been all season and failed to do in the last 2 weeks due to lack of discipline.

And for the record I have praised Kamau in the first 2 games as it was merited.

As for this game it was obvious he was going to be exploited and Wazza should have picked up on it.

• Haha 1

No @playmaker that's not the jobs I see. Central defenders defend the box, the full back deals with the winger.

It is definitely not the the wingers job to deal with the other winger, if the fullback overlaps though the winger must track back and pick up the extra man.

ah but Zullo was the extra man is that what you mean? Then the two opposition wide players must be picked up by our 2.

Edited by Shahanga
Figured out what you mean

21 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Muscat's job is to swarm the box to cut the pass to the players that cut inside and he has done it well, and Kamau's job is to block the full back in the overlap 

Well it can be and it can be done differently as well, it depends. 

In a man marking tactic that's his job and nothing else usually, in zonal marking (which is what I think we try to play) it's situational and depends on how the team is meant to be organised. 

I have seen the exact opposite to what you say, or he might remain forward for the counter, with the DM slotting in, the whole defence can shift with the winger or midfielder slotting in on the far side (to allow more time to get organised and players not having to rush in), whilst his job is to cut off passing lanes or double team, there's all kind of ways a defence can position itself.

Regardless, he won't stop the RB every time, especially at this level

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

No @playmaker that's not the jobs I see. Central defenders defend the box, the full back deals with the winger.

It is definitely not the the wingers job to deal with the other winger, if the fullback overlaps though the winger must track back and pick up the extra man.

ah but Zullo was the extra man is that what you mean? Then the two opposition wide players must be picked up by our 2.

Sydney wasn't playing with wide wingers as their attacking mids were central as they always are therefore our full backs need to drop inside to create a numerical advantage to block the pass inside. The only wide player was Zullo and its Kamau's job to track him. I was watching that play all night on and off the ball because I knew that was the play Arnold had in mind. Watch the game and you will see what I mean.

26 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

So far only @moops has commented on Brattan's performance, which I tend to agree with. There has  been mentions on this forum that he is a creative player or defensive player, but tbh on yesterday' performance, is he living up to expectations?

No, he isn't IMO. Really didn't feature last night. Don't think he will be with us next season.

Just want to comment that I don't like blaming individual players for goals such as Sydney's last night. It's a team game. I get the feeling from the number of poor passes, players turning back into trouble, dwelling on the ball too long etc. etc. that we're not talking to one another on the field enough.

Couple of other random observations FWIW. Galekovic's distribution is awful - passing back to him results in an aimless punt upfield and usually a turnover. Also we don't threaten much from free-kicks and corners - a lot of wastage there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, playmaker said:

For Kamau to allow Zullo enough time to prop and set with no pressure is being lazy.

if want to talk LAZY, look no further than Budzinski

did some nice fancy footwork when he came on , sure he's got class, did another nice dribble in the second half but was un sighted for the rest of the match, no chasing back either 

Carusca actually chased back and was in RB position at one stage, I never thought I would see that 

• Like 2

It's easy to read posts after lose. Nice to see that some posters actually have seen us playing this season. 

The goal was a nice combination/ defense error.  This is how football works. Nice triangle between O'Neal Ninkovic and Zullo.  Kamau left him and moved centrally.  Muscat as RB was right CB.  Wilkshire moved to the right between Jacobsen and Fitzy. At the cross we had all defence shifted to the right.  Two men , Bart and La Rocca, both CB, around Brosque at the edge of 5 meters box, totally out of play.Two more around them. Muscat and Mauk. Jacobsen marking Bobo centrally, active spot but he was supposed to be LB. Fitzy in space between Wilkshire and Brillante who was centrally unmarked. So, who was guilty.  Who is your most unliked player.

Better luck next time.  Wazza changed (had to) too many at advance. Sydney didn't try to penetrate  too much from the right with slow Carney and Wilkshire . Jacobsen was wasted on LB. He naturally gravitates to the centre ground area.  He was placed perfectly as CB at the goal but not as LB.

We chopped Ninkovic constantly and successfully first half. Then he became more active , moved back for the ball and killed us.

• Thanks 1

Just now, japiedog said:

did some nice fancy footwork when he came on , sure he's got class, did another nice dribble in the second half but was un sighted for the rest of the match, no chasing back either 

Carusca actually chased back and was in RB position at one stage, I never thought I would see that 

I don't think it's lazy. He's just a big guy. 

7 hours ago, LB said:

I feel like I must of been watching a different game to some of you. I don’t get the negativity. We were desperately unlucky not to get a point or 3, we simply lost the game on Fitzy not tracking his man. Even then Wilkshire completely duffed the finish but got lucky. We had the majority of chances, I can’t really remember them troubling us other then the goal. 

Despite his error Fitzy is far and away our most dangerous weapon at the moment. He’s a limited player but not sure he lacks vision as others have said, his decision making is good and he’s the only player who penatrates with the ball & makes incisive runs. Could of easily had a couple of assists tonight if McCormack wasn’t on his heels at times.

I thought Kamau also had a very solid game as well. His close control has definitely improved and for the most part, his defensive application is terrific.

Sydney are a very well oiled machine but I feel we’re getting there. Good times ahead. 

I don't think that any of us are necessarily in profound disagreement, our midfield problem could be helped by starting Carusca and tweaking our attacking transition

36 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

It's easy to read posts after lose. Nice to see that some posters actually have seen us playing this season. 

The goal was a nice combination/ defense error.  This is how football works. Nice triangle between O'Neal Ninkovic and Zullo.  Kamau left him and moved centrally.  Muscat as RB was right CB.  Wilkshire moved to the right between Jacobsen and Fitzy. At the cross we had all defence shifted to the right.  Two men , Bart and La Rocca, both CB, around Brosque at the edge of 5 meters box, totally out of play.Two more around them. Muscat and Mauk. Jacobsen marking Bobo centrally, active spot but he was supposed to be LB. Fitzy in space between Wilkshire and Brillante who was centrally unmarked. So, who was guilty.  Who is your most unliked player.

Better luck next time.  Wazza changed (had to) too many at advance. Sydney didn't try to penetrate  too much from the right with slow Carney and Wilkshire . Jacobsen was wasted on LB. He naturally gravitates to the centre ground area.  He was placed perfectly as CB at the goal but not as LB.

We chopped Ninkovic constantly and successfully first half. Then he became more active , moved back for the ball and killed us.

Crap on all you like, but Fitzy was goal side of Wilkshire as the ball went out to Zullo.

He was ball watching pure and simple and didn't even realise Wilkshire had slipped in behind him until it was way too late. 

Fitzy had a good game and became even more dangerous as we went searching for the equaliser. But he lost concentration for a moment and it cost us a goal. In Wazza's gameplan, everyone has a role to do defensively and Fitzy let the team down then unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Crap on all you like, but Fitzy was goal side of Wilkshire as the ball went out to Zullo.

He was ball watching pure and simple and didn't even realise Wilkshire had slipped in behind him until it was way too late. 

Fitzy had a good game and became even more dangerous as we went searching for the equaliser. But he lost concentration for a moment and it cost us a goal. In Wazza's gameplan, everyone has a role to do defensively and Fitzy let the team down then unfortunately. 

Agreed.

The thing that bugs me is that if the opposition Full backs have time to drive forward then our wide mids have time and MUST track them and not offer them time to set, especially when the game is balanced.

Some thoughts from the game:

-Not getting into the who's fault was the goal debate, but fmd kamau. Yes, he is playing better but the kid needs to look up and pass the ball off earlier. He's too busy trying to be messi and dance around 15 players, just get rid of the ball quickly so we can start attacking faster

-Bort is amazing defender, thank you JVS <3 La rocca too, what good pick ups they have been.

-Fitzy was amazing, I can't believe some of the hate hes getting on here. Put in some beautiful crosses, and was stiff to not have a goal. He's been nearly our best player all season, good on him.

-Whilst our defence is amazing, we are still having a lot of trouble in constantly creating attacking opportunities. Ross doesn't really suit our style, as good as i think he is, and our midfield isn't as good as we think it is. Brattan especially has been disappointing, but even Mauk was barely sighted last night. We need to start either Bud or Carusca because I reckon they will really add some attacking flair to our midfield.  

FWIW i think it was quite an even game. We're honestly not that far off from Sydney as some on here believe. We just have to really take our opportunities against Sydney, compared to other teams and we didn't. No need to lose hope.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

I don't think that any of us are necessarily in profound disagreement, our midfield problem could be helped by starting Carusca and tweaking our attacking transition

Agree, Wazza has shown he can organise a defence, I think it's about time to see some improvement in transitions and interplay in offense. How he goes about finding that balance will define us this season.

I'm worried about Carusca's fitness to start, but I must say he made a difference last night and looked pretty fit, but did coming in late help and is that the best way to get the most out of him?

There was improvement last night, Ross wasn't on his game though and every time we tried to break for the counter, a Sydney player would foul us without recompense. Maybe there was a plan, but we never saw it because the ref never went to his pocket? 

But overall, I'm starting to see things the way you do.

21 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

-

-Whilst our defence is amazing, we are still having a lot of trouble in constantly creating attacking opportunities. Ross doesn't really suit our style, as good as i think he is, and our midfield isn't as good as we think it is. Brattan especially has been disappointing, but even Mauk was barely sighted last night. We need to start either Bud or Carusca because I reckon they will really add some attacking flair to our midfield.  

I think Bruno getting injured threw a spanner in the works and Wazza is just concentrated on defence so far.

• Like 1

So it doesn't matter that both CB were dragged totally out of the game marking the same player , which as domino effect cancelled out defensive line.

Winger hardly goes so deep back in the box. It often ends in needles penalty. 

Fitzy came from the wooden spoon team but he's working ethic is great. He's the most energetic striker with assistances. Same as he finished last season. Like it or not. That's why he's credited with votes.

4 hours ago, japiedog said:

Budzinksi is a first team player, butt until he gets some fitness and tracks players back he won't be in Wazzas starting XI

On 03/11/2017 at 0:07 PM, playmaker said:

Well  Arnold  said he would exploit our weakness and he did. The same as what Garruccio did to Kamau so did Zullo.

Kamau didn't track him and he had too much time that eventuated in a goal.

For the rest of the game he was even poorer than I thought possible at this level.

Both Kamau and Fitzy lack vision and it's time we use Budzinski and Carrusca and have our DMs tracking their wingers with our more central attackers looking after the centre corridor defensively. Both Bud and Marcello are capable of breaking open the defence centrally and open more opportunities for Ross who atm does not get the appropriate service he needs. Watching him tonight he was in great positions but other player's hesitations cause the offside. Also on many occasions Bud would open the defence but had no close support so either lost the ball or was forced to go wide which played into the smurf's hands.

I could go on but I won't as the failings are quite obvious and need to be addressed.

Overall I am happy with the loss tonight only because Wazza now has a clearer indication where the team is at and what players aren't up to it.

A good game defensively and a good game for the team going forward.

He didn’t exploit any weakness. In fact the commentators made a point of the fact played with no width, especially in the first half. You keep slagging of Fitzy and Kamau as if they are your whipping boys. 

Kamau for me is lacking confidence and should be on the bench. However, he never stopped running or tackling. Fitzy for me did only one thing wrong and that was failing to track Wilshere. He started the move that ended up with his shot being saved. Laid it on a plate for McCormack who was sleeping at the back post. 

The two worse players on the park for us where Mauk who was invisible and I was astonished Brattan was taken off instead of him. Also Cahill, who was abysmal until he got himself injured with a stupid tackle.

We're still a work in progress. As has been commented already, it just needs Joyce to tweak the team line-up to find the right balance between water tight defence and flair through the middle and upfront. We didn't have enough creativity until Carrusca, and to an extent Budzinski, got on the pitch and then we pressed the Smurfs much higher up the pitch. Again, showing the mammoth impact Mooy had on the playing style of the team when he was with us.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/city-must-learn-from-sydneys-knowhow-if-they-are-to-be-a-title-challenger-20171104-gzeuan.html

City must learn from Sydney's know-how if they are to be a title challenger

The day before top of the table Melbourne City hosted champions Sydney FC at AAMI Park, young City winger Bruce Kamau picked up an award as the NAB Young Footballer of the Year Nominee for October.

It was hardly surprising as the 22-year-old had netted three times in City's opening streak of four wins and was looking like one of the most improved players at the club.

But more pertinently, he said that to announce themselves as serious title aspirants and title contenders, City had to beat Sydney the following night.

That they didn't – Warren Joyce's team went down 1-0 – isn't a great surprise.

Graham Arnold's side has spent more than a year doing the same thing to every other club in the A-League, strangling the life out of the game, then being good enough to take their chances when they come along, as full-back Luke Wilkshire did on Friday night.

What Joyce admitted, and anyone watching acknowledged, was at this stage of their respective development Sydney is a much more accomplished and co-ordinated team, a squad that knows what it is doing, because it has done it so many times before, and knows how to take the sting out of a game before imposing itself on its opponents.

Very little happened in the game in the first half save for a well-worked move by City that ended with Nick Fitzgerald's shot being saved well by former City keeper Andrew Redmayne, now establishing himself as the champions' number one.

Once Sydney got their noses in front just before the hour mark they were always in control, handing City a lesson that hopefully will be learnt.

The hosts have a tight defence – that was only the second goal they have conceded this season. Losing Tim Cahill to injury wasn't ideal, forcing a reshuffle, but City didn't create enough gilt-edged chances to really threaten Sydney that much.

City captain Michael Jakobsen said the result was a check on City's progress but not something they were too despondent about.

"We are down to earth all the time, we're not getting carried away because of four victories," he said on Saturday morning. "We've been happy with the wins, but we know that we can perform better and we saw that yesterday.

"The defensive part looks strong, but there are still things to work on and we didn't look terrible at all.

"We still need to get used to each other. We've got a lot of good players in and we need to get used to how things work. It's not going to go from one to 100, it takes time. We need time to get that sorted and we'll continue that.

"I think there are a lot of good teams in the league this year and Sydney FC are up there as well. It's going to be hard work against them.

"We have a very strong squad. Everybody is working every day, so everyone wants to play. Now we can use the depth of the squad and how it performs, so it is a good issue."

9 hours ago, silva10 said:

He didn’t exploit any weakness. In fact the commentators made a point of the fact played with no width, especially in the first half. You keep slagging of Fitzy and Kamau as if they are your whipping boys. 

Geez. Either you were watching a different game or you don't know what you a talking about.

They were playing centrally in attack but Full Backs were running the lines ( like they always do).

You really need to use your eyes more effectively rather than listening to the commentators. Or even better turn up to the stadium and watch the off the ball movement and see how the plays are being set up before they even happen.

Kamau is playing like crap but Fitzy is a star by comparison as he is brilliant in attack by comparison 

Edited by playmaker

Actually not a bad game. The result probably quite anticipated by Joyce hence he was such relaxed on the afterpresso. Most likely saw what he wanted to see or  test.

We played about 40% of our ability, Sydney played 100% including skillful "playing" of that retarded ref.

Worse were Fitsy and Manny. Fitsy really need to pass quicker, he wasted several good runs by Ross. Manny made to many small errors. Carrusca was quite poor as well but considering the limited time he played and his overall bench time it doesn't matter. Probably should of start instead of Timmy to add a bit more midfield creativity as someone here suggested.

Budzik was great but played too deep.

We are getting there and I am quite optimistic overall.

5 minutes ago, MXG said:

Actually not a bad game. The result probably quite anticipated by Joyce hence he was such relaxed on the afterpresso. Most likely saw what he wanted to see or  test.

We played about 40% of our ability, Sydney played 100% including skillful "playing" of that retarded ref.

Worse were Fitsy and Manny. Fitsy really need to pass quicker, he wasted several good runs by Ross. Manny made to many small errors. Carrusca was quite poor as well but considering the limited time he played and his overall bench time it doesn't matter. Probably should of start instead of Timmy to add a bit more midfield creativity as someone here suggested.

We are getting there and I am quite optimistic overall.

Jesus. Fitzgerald was our best attacker IMO. He created that late chance, an absolute bloody sitter that McCormack should have gobbled up had he not been asleep in the 6-yard box. Sydney or Victory would have had 3 players in the box for that cross. We won't win anything if we don't take chances like that.

IMO people should start looking at what players actually do, rather than reputations.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Jesus. Fitzgerald was our best attacker IMO. He created that late chance, an absolute bloody sitter that McCormack should have gobbled up had he not been asleep in the 6-yard box. Sydney or Victory would have had 3 players in the box for that cross. We won't win anything if we don't take chances like that.

IMO people should start looking at what players actually do, rather than reputations.

I feel like I was watching a different game with some of the posts I'm reading on here!!!

On 04/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, moops said:

I think Bruno getting injured threw a spanner in the works and Wazza is just concentrated on defence so far.

I understand that, however bruno isn't going to be back until the new year. Surely we can implement some system until then, so that when bruno comes back, we slot him in for Ross? I understand that bruno and ross have differences in the way they playl, but atm we are just very disjointed up front. Their must be some type of system he can put in temporarily, until bruno gets back  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MXG said:

what for 1minute ? when he turned on  some fancy footwork

Unsighted for much of the  match, no chasing back , tackles ? perhaps I blinked at the wrong moment

don't get me wrong, the guy has some serious skill when he has the  ball, but he doesn't go chasing the ball

I thought that we were going to see a substitute being substituted

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 0:15 PM, jw1739 said:

C'mon, we're all like him, but stop looking at reputation and be real. He did nothing except those 2(!) crosses he made. And he constantly stopped the ball and broke fluency instead of passing it further. Him and Bruce were hogging the ball for far to long trying to take on 3 smurfs constantly. Kamau was better defensively though. Budzik from other side was an example of the player 2 levels higher. Protecting the ball, freeing his teammates or passing it quick when appropriate. Played too deep, that's why you did not see him.

At some point Joyce will have to put creativity in the midfield. Brattan is shit. Jacko and Malik are defenders. Kilkenny can be an option. Mauk is not bad but his finish is awful. In reality he needs Carussca or Budzik there, not playing with 6 defenders.

No guarantee it will work but at the moment it's a seance of deejay-vu, when last year we played well only until other teams adopted to us.

I hope Joyce is not just some kind of anti-JVS, 1 plan for all games, defense instead of possession.