Melbourne Football

RD 4 V Adelaide Saturday 28 October Coopers stadium KO 7:50

Inferno

11 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Can't believe the hate for Kamau tonight.  Has been covering Muscat's arse defensively all night on top of getting up and down the wing all night.

Plus for the shit Muscat's done all night, he's only on a yellow.  Imagine if Kamau wasn't dropping so deep

i reckon one of the most "intelligent" games that Kamau has played

he tracked back, tackled, covered Manny's arse for most othe match. Did the hard dirty work required to win, Wazza has got this lad on the right track 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

The difference is a defensive-minded team won't LOSE as many. 

The A-League lacks quality in the front third-very few attackers can beat their man, very few strikers can punish teams with the few chances that are created.

So a strong defensive teams is more likely to be successful.  Ideally we would have the best of both worlds, but quality attacking players are not easy to find on the cheap.

Agree. If the plan though is to play ACL and do well then that planning in terms of team style and structure should be starting now. I agree with being defensively solid, if we keep on returning clean sheets then the worst we can do is lose but we should be more ambitious (not JVS type reckless)

Edited by belaguttman

9 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

We've got Muscat at RB and play a defensive style.

The fact he got away with so much / didn't get sent off must mean either god's finally listening or some one on the right side is helping a shit load

If only it we had a RW who could do everything (particularly in a salary cap system) 🤔🤔🤔

Or may be we should find a team who who wins 10-0 each week.  You make it sound so simple 

PS the funny thing is I didn't highlight / bold a single thing from quoted posts. Funny how (as others have nicely pointed out) some see what they want to see

If your are suggesting it's muscats job to cover for 2 players then you are wrong. Garruccio had the impact he did because Kamau didn't do his job effectively. It's a RWs job to track the LB that is pushing forward. As for the rest of your ramblings I think its fair to expect that at this level a players can do the basic things like keep possession and pass the ball to a player in a better position on transitional play into attack.

So what I am saying is that when a player can't do that then we need to replace him with someone that can. That's fair. 

10 hours ago, dr lime said:

Lack of a good #10 has hampered us going forward. Mauk does good work closing down but is largely a workhorse and doesn't really create an outlet  target, hold the ball up, create chances with good through balls, etc. Not sure why we are waiting so long to play Polish there. Perhaps next week. 

Exactly right, and the fact that Ross gets no service in dangerous positions is a problem.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Come on Bela, we're doing alright. 2-0 win, La Rocca hit the post and Mauky missed an absolute sitter. Minimal injuries, a powerful bench, Killa not even on the bench, and six talented Scholarship players waiting in the wings.

Of course, anything can happen in football. But right now things look pretty good to me.

Yes, the results were good, but as well as our bad luck (we should have scored 4 goals) we were lucky not to concede several goals as well, not just this game but against Nix as well. Eugene only had to make one save but Adelaide had several good chances that an ACL level team would convert. Our last goal from open play was in the derby. I'm pleased that we are winning but that doesn't mean that criticism can't be valid.

We can see from the smurfs experience that winning titles by strangling the life out of opponents isn't attractive football and does win titles but not new fans. We need to do both, it shouldn't be a choice between good defence or attractive football

5 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Now with Malik and Jammo out there are two vacancies in the line up. I noticed that a few people would put Brattan ahead of Kilkenny. However no one has assessed Brattan's game last night. He had about 46 minutes game time. What is the general opinion on his performance?

He defended like everyone else and did his job in our defensive structure. There wasn't much opportunity to do anything else playing 4-4-1 whilst he was on

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He defended like everyone else and did his job in our defensive structure. There wasn't much opportunity to do anything else playing 4-4-1 whilst he was on

Officially Brattan came on at the 44' mark. Malik was sent of at the 61' mark. That is 17' plus the 3' of added time. That makes 20 minutes on the pitch with a full side and almost half the time he was on. Can I deduce that for those 20' that you did not notice any impact?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Sure, but increasing attacking potency by relying on the individual brilliance of your players in the absence of a clear attacking structure is very risky

Relying on set pieces and unorganised counter attack will only last so long. 

• Like 2

I actually don't think our defence was that great last night. Adelaide had more decent chances than the opposition in the previous three games combined (before anyone gets excited that's still not a very large number - I only worry about chances from inside the box), but they couldn't hit the backside of a barn last night and their crossing was truly awful.

Anyway don't want to seem too critical, we are 4/4, with a solitary goal under "A" and starting to look like "the real thing" 

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I actually don't think our defence was that great last night. Adelaide had more decent chances than the opposition in the previous three games combined (before anyone gets excited that's still not a very large number - I only worry about chances from inside the box), but they couldn't hit the backside of a barn last night and their crossing was truly awful.

Anyway don't want to seem too critical, we are 4/4, with a solitary goal under "A" and starting to look like "the real thing" 

If Sydney’s fwd half have the chances Wellington and Adelaide had id exspect them to find the back of the net 

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Random statistic from the match - in previous seasons by which round have we achieved four wins?

2010-11 it took us until Round 12.
2011-12: Round 10.
2012-13: Round 14.
2013-14: Round 19.
2014-15: Round 13.
2015-16: Round 9.
2016-17: Round 6.

Our current record of consecutive wins is 5. Achieved twice, firstly in the Madaschi era and then after Aloisi was sacked.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Officially Brattan came on at the 44' mark. Malik was sent of at the 61' mark. That is 17' plus the 3' of added time. That makes 20 minutes on the pitch with a full side and almost half the time he was on. Can I deduce that for those 20' that you did not notice any impact?

Brattan was OK but didn't change the game. If you look at our stats, our most completed passes are from Bart, LaRocca and Eugene, midfield has a much diminished role in our current style. Hopefully the style will evolve

45 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

bozza and archie didn't think it was a penalty :hmm::hmm::hmm:

On what basis? I thought I read that the VAR was called into action and agreed with the on-field referee? IMO the argument that it was a penalty is that the GK had launched himself at Mauk (in a manner that would result in illegal contact) before the latter made contact with the ball - it therefore didn't matter that the ball went over the bar and out of play. Same would apply if Mauk had been tackled from behind after he had flicked the ball goalwards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

On what basis? I thought I read that the VAR was called into action and agreed with the on-field referee? IMO the argument that it was a penalty is that the GK had launched himself at Mauk (in a manner that would result in illegal contact) before the latter made contact with the ball - it therefore didn't matter that the ball went over the bar and out of play. Same would apply if Mauk had been tackled from behind after he had flicked the ball goalwards.

Isn't it like any tackle?

You take the player out late after he gets rid of the ball it's a free kick and normally  a yellow. What have I missed? Last I looked the laws of the game still applied to the 18 yard box.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

If your are suggesting it's muscats job to cover for 2 players then you are wrong. Garruccio had the impact he did because Kamau didn't do his job effectively. It's a RWs job to track the LB that is pushing forward. As for the rest of your ramblings I think its fair to expect that at this level a players can do the basic things like keep possession and pass the ball to a player in a better position on transitional play into attack.

So what I am saying is that when a player can't do that then we need to replace him with someone that can. That's fair. 

Not surprisingly you've got your focus the wrong way around - it's not Kamau's job to cover two players constantly.

And as for overall output, Kamau is either on par or exceeding Fitzgerald both defensively and offensively from a statistics point of view.

Of which, for all your criticism of Kamau as a forward there's been no mention from you on how many chances Fitzgerald has butchered in front of goal.  Where exactly have you applied the same standards?

In that I'm not saying Fitzgerald has been horrible, more that from whats been written you're wearing Kamau tinted glasses that only sees bad things done by him (and no one else) as well as none of the good done by Kamau

• Like 3

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

sheesh 

what a grumpy bunch...

not pretty, yes, not creative, yes .

did we draw, NO, did we lose, NO.

the old Heart/ City would have lost that 3 -2

FFS, we are 4 wins, yes awful to watch at times, I'll admit, but you win the league by not conceding, 

Popa did it with WSW, built from the back, Arnold did it last year. 

i said it before the season started and I'll say it yet again, if Wazza can give this squad some steel and backbone and not concede soft silly goals, he'll have my backing.

Lol JVS' city/heart would have been down 3 - 2 before the sending off.

Joyce is doing what all managers who manage to tyrn a team around do and that is by starting with fixing the defence then moving up the park. 

Even if we win the league and finals I reckon people will be complaining about something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, malloy said:

Lol JVS' city/heart would have been down 3 - 2 before the sending off.

Joyce is doing what all managers who manage to tyrn a team around do and that is by starting with fixing the defence then moving up the park. 

Even if we win the league and finals I reckon people will be complaining about something.

I think everyone should chill, no ones really complaining. We're all happy, but people are commenting on where the improvements will/should be next. 

Its the clear the manager isn't satisfied with where we are and he's going to drive improvement "everyday" (his words).

4 games in, 2 points clear of the bench mark and 10 clear of the noisy neighbours.

Happy Days.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I think everyone should chill, no ones really complaining. We're all happy, but people are commenting on where the improvements will/should be next. 

Its the clear the manager isn't satisfied with where we are and he's going to drive improvement "everyday" (his words).

4 games in, 2 points clear of the bench mark and 10 clear of the noisy neighbours.

Happy Days.

Amen to that

This is the first game I have managed to see this season. Overall it was a very solid performance and after the first goal we took control of the game until half time. If Fitzgerald had shown a bit more self belief we could have scored a couple more before half time.

The second half we had to show more grit especially after going’ down to ten men. However, for all their possession they only had one or two decent chances. We probably had the best chance with Mauk and he should have scored.

I am not surprised by the pragmatic approach by Wazza. Our defence was terrible last season and he would have been made aware of that. We are so much better now and the addition of Galevokic, La Rocca and the Dutch guy (can’ spell his name lol) has given us a solid base.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, silva10 said:

This is the first game I have managed to see this season. Overall it was a very solid performance and after the first goal we took control of the game until half time. If Fitzgerald had shown a bit more self belief we could have scored a couple more before half time.

The second half we had to show more grit especially after going’ down to ten men. However, for all their possession they only had one or two decent chances. We probably had the best chance with Mauk and he should have scored.

I am not surprised by the pragmatic approach by Wazza. Our defence was terrible last season and he would have been made aware of that. We are so much better now and the addition of Galevokic, La Rocca and the Dutch guy (can’ spell his name lol) has given us a solid base.

From here on in you may call him Bort 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

it was fucking retarded, something along the lines that izzo's momentum forced him into the challenge and he did well not to hurt mark 

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well I'm not surprised that Bozza said that since he is a keeper. But they did check it on VAR there was a little indicator in the where the score was saying so

5 hours ago, silva10 said:

All you need to remember is that 'Bart' is beast and could easily have been our MOTM :up: And yes, La Rocca under Joyce has rediscovered the form he showed at WSW when he was part of their team that went on to win the Asian Champions League. Great pickup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Bart, La Rocca, Mauk and McCormack all made the A League team of the week with Wazza as the manager

OOPS you left Eugene out he made Bozza's team of the week on Shootout Fox sports last night along with the other four.

Edited by johnno cpfc
Additional script.
  • Like 2