Melbourne Football

RD 4 V Adelaide Saturday 28 October Coopers stadium KO 7:50

Inferno

3 minutes ago, neio said:

Thought about this today, and I think one change to be made. Budzinski for Muscat

Absalonsen is by fair their biggest attacking weapon, so of be moving Bart out to the right to stop him. Much like jako did in round 1. It's really hard on Muscat as he has been good, but I think Bart will do a better job. We also don't lose anything centrally with jakobsen slotting back there

Tbh i reckon Jamo will get chopped before Muscat at this point in time if we go down that track.

Just now, neio said:

But Muscat plays on the side that absalonsen does

Indeed, but imo he's comprehensively beaten his R1 and R3 opponents, and whilst others will disagree probably, I reckon he minimised George as well as possible in the derby considering how much ball they tried to play down that left-hand side. I havent thought Absalonsen to be overly quick so far, he's more classy and presents a good aerial threat. Mileusenic is prob more a threat from a pace point of view.

• Like 1

I can't agree with this either/or argument that we will compromise our defence if we play a more attacking game. Much of our problem going forward is poor decision making - such as turning back into trouble - and inaccurate and delayed passing. We don't have to change our defence to fix any of those aspects of our game, just improve some basic aspects of our attacking play.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I can't agree with this either/or argument that we will compromise our defence if we play a more attacking game. Much of our problem going forward is poor decision making - such as turning back into trouble - and inaccurate and delayed passing. We don't have to change our defence to fix any of those aspects of our game, just improve some basic aspects of our attacking play.

Totally agree.

Do you think the likes of Kamau, Malik, Fitzy and Mauk and perhaps Jacobsen in the middle are all contributing to the concerns you have?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

In the purest sense I agree but when you look at it in the sense of postioning and numerical overloads then it is more of an either or argument.

That is if you have more players in front of the ball you have more options of making a successful forward pass. And to have more players forward you will obviously have less behind. Now all this can be circumvented with a great pass that can cut out several defenders and supply an outnumbered forward but these passes are filled with greater chance of failure. 

I agree you can overcome this by better choices and rapid ball movement which is at the end of the day what the game is all about but the basic intent has to be there to begin with.

So I actually think you can only have an attacking or defensive mindset at any paticular time and not both. Now what's better is another debate entirely.

Edited by Jovan

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Totally agree.

Do you think the likes of Kamau, Malik, Fitzy and Mauk and perhaps Jacobsen in the middle are all contributing to the concerns you have?

Yes, also Brattan. But I think Wazza has alluded to this problem in his post-match presser, and I have no doubt that he is addressing it on the training ground. I doubt that he's going to make a lot of changes for the Adelaide match. Rather he will expect the players to do better.

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

In the purest sense I agree but when you look at it in the sense of postioning and numerical overloads then it is more of an either or argument.

That is if you have more players in front of the ball you have more options of making a successful forward pass. And to have more players forward you will obviously have less behind. Now all this can be circumvented with a great pass that can cut out several defenders and supply an outnumbered forward but these passes are filled with greater chance of failure. 

I agree you can overcome this by better choices and rapid ball movement which is at the end of the day what the game is all about but the basic intent has to be there to begin with.

So I actually think you can only have an attacking or defensive mindset at any paticular time and not both. Now what's better is another debate entirely.

I'm happy with the defensive mindset. What I'm saying is that with more speed and accuracy going forward you can have that mindset and score goals at the same time. IMO we did create several decent opportunities against Wellington, and more passing accuracy and someone with their shooting boots on could have seen us win 4-0.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm happy with the defensive mindset. What I'm saying is that with more speed and accuracy going forward you can have that mindset and score goals at the same time. IMO we did create several decent opportunities against Wellington, and more passing accuracy and someone with their shooting boots on could have seen us win 4-0.

Agree with that. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We have 7 of 11 players starting with defensive mindsets. It's pretty obvious why we had some trouble going forward with quality on a regular basis. You can ask Malik and Jako to play the ball quicker and even walk them through it during training. But I certainly don't expect them to execute it well enough on game day. If you want improvements in attacking play we have to make minor changes to our starting lineup. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Apparently it's an adelaide thing. 

And people say Anglo's have no culcha 

When I wonder how a person could possibly come up with such an idea all I can picture is a pie accidentally falling into some pea soup and said person running with the idea. 

Apparently they have a more progressive version with pumpkin soup too. 

22 hours ago, n i k o said:

We have 7 of 11 players starting with defensive mindsets. It's pretty obvious why we had some trouble going forward with quality on a regular basis. You can ask Malik and Jako to play the ball quicker and even walk them through it during training. But I certainly don't expect them to execute it well enough on game day. If you want improvements in attacking play we have to make minor changes to our starting lineup. 

Exactly. We are essentially down to four players when it comes to attack, which just isn't enough unless those four are world-class.

We need another ball-player in the XI. Surely Bud is ready for an hour on the park? 

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Exactly. We are essentially down to four players when it comes to attack, which just isn't enough unless those four are world-class.

We need another ball-player in the XI. Surely Bud is ready for an hour on the park? 

That's why Wazza mentioned Caceres in the last interview.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

True, but I'm going out on a limb here to say Buds defensive and break up play ability ranks well below likes of Brattan, Mauk and Timmy. I wouldn't want Joyce to be too quick or reactive in changing someone for attacking sake and forgo our defensive capabilities too much.  

Melbourne City FC Squad: Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Dean Bouzanis, 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 5. Bart Schenkeveld, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 9. Marcelo Carrusca, 11. Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan Mauk, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 21. Ruon Tongyik, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 25. Iacopo La Rocca, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 44. Ross McCormack

Ins: 8. Neil Kilkenny (promoted), 21.Ruon Tongyik (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 23. Bruno Fornaroli (ankle)
https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-city-unchanged-first-away-trip

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Melbourne City FC Squad: Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Dean Bouzanis, 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 5. Bart Schenkeveld, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 9. Marcelo Carrusca, 11. Bruce Kamau, 13. Stefan Mauk, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 21. Ruon Tongyik, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 25. Iacopo La Rocca, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 44. Ross McCormack

Ins: 8. Neil Kilkenny (promoted), 21.Ruon Tongyik (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 23. Bruno Fornaroli (ankle)
https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/team-news-city-unchanged-first-away-trip

Oscar is still out injured  ?

7 minutes ago, japiedog said:

Oscar is still out injured  ?

With McCormack replacing Fornaroli,  in effect Brandan is the only player who could be deemed unavailable because of an injury, although he's not listed as such. I doubt that we've ever been in this position before in our history, or if we have, it wouldn't have been very often.

Think we'll go in unchanged again here, but we'll be fairly quick to go attacking if we dont have a lead by 50, 55 min given their outs. Ross and Mauk to score in another defensively strong, clinical 2-0 in front of a rowdy away bay.

Edited by bt50

On 24/10/2017 at 2:22 PM, bt50 said:

Indeed, but imo he's comprehensively beaten his R1 and R3 opponents, and whilst others will disagree probably, I reckon he minimised George as well as possible in the derby considering how much ball they tried to play down that left-hand side. I havent thought Absalonsen to be overly quick so far, he's more classy and presents a good aerial threat. Mileusenic is prob more a threat from a pace point of view.

Still the first bloke looked at to drop no matter how is form has been.He's been very solid so far this season and was one of our better performers in the second half last week.

Maybe that's because it is actually playing in his preferred position at RB compared to last season either playing at LB / CB...

or maybe because i'm a Manny fanboy

• Like 4