Melbourne Football

RD 4 V Adelaide Saturday 28 October Coopers stadium KO 7:50

Inferno

Iacopo La Rocca says Melbourne City’s squad is the strongest he’s been part of in the A-League

MATT WINDLEY

OCTOBER 22, 2017

MELBOURNE City defender. Iacopo La Rocca has seen some things in his A-League career. But he’s never seen something like this.

IACOPO La Rocca says Melbourne City’s squad is the strongest he has been a part in the A-League.

On a stunning bench in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Wellington, City coach Warren Joyce had at his disposal Socceroos legend Tim Cahill, marquee midfielder Marcin Budzinski’s, one of the competition’s best ever midfielders Marcelo Carrusca and three-time championship winner Luke Brattan.

Incredibly, last season’s best and fairest winner Neil Kilkenny can’t get a game, rising defender Ruon Tongyik was also not picked, while winger Fernando Brandan (knee) and star striker Bruno Fornaroli (knee) are returning from injury.

La Rocca, who made two grand finals and won the 2014 Asian Champions League with Western Sydney and won the 2015-16 title with Adelaide, said all of those players would walk into other A-League starting XI’s.

“Really, I’ve never been in one team with this quality,” La Rocca said.

“The bench, you have the types of players that could play in every starting XI around the league.

“It’s not easy for the coach.”

Despite the quality he has at his disposal, Joyce has made just one change in the first three weeks — Brattan missed the Round 2 derby through injury.

The Englishman rewards good performances and La Rocca said that gives the players confidence.

But, the Italian turned Australian said, it also means you can’t afford a misstep at training.

“If we don’t play good or train hard then the coach will tell you directly that you cannot play,” he said.

“So you are always working hard to keep your position.

“When you see that Kilkenny is not on the bench, he was the best player last year, it must be very hard.

“But all the boys here have the right mentality.

“Because if you come to the training, you will see Killa, Tim, Carrusca, everyone, they all have the mentality that we can achieve something together if we keep doing this.”

City has conceded just one goal in three games.

Central defender La Rocca says the entire defensive structure has been on song.

“It is very important that the work starts with Ross (McCormack) and the two wingers, then the midfielders.

“It’s not just the back four or (goalkeeper) Eugene (Galekovic), all the team is working hard and putting in full effort.

“We are desperate to not concede goals.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city/iacopo-la-rocca-says-melbourne-citys-squad-is-the-strongest-hes-been-part-of-in-the-aleague/news-story/a8c83258e5700070dac61627b935021e

Well its good to see we've addressed the issue of leaking goals. We're considerably less enjoyable to watch but IMO we need to win at all costs. I want a title and i don't care how we get it. If playing defensive masterclasses each week is how we're going to do it then so be it.

As said earlier this is going to be a huge test. I'd be happy with a point but really disappointed with a loss.

Prediction is 1-1

1 minute ago, Missing_Moy said:

We need a winger on the bench at least so we get a fresh bloke running at the defenders 

1 minute ago, Hazzaverx said:

Kamau*

Boys if we start Brandan and Kamo on wing and leave fitzy on bench we'll be okay...considering fitzy's performance 4 past 3 games 

5 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Boys if we start Brandan and Kamo on wing and leave fitzy on bench we'll be okay...considering fitzy's performance 4 past 3 games 

Fitzys been immense last few weeks. Kamau still lacks his final touch, albeit so did fitzy last game. But less so than kamau. Kamau's pace will rip defenders if he comes on 70th min.

Haha there is absolutely no chance that when Brandan finally does make his return, assuming no injuries, it will be anything other than off the bench. Hard to see him breaking back in at this point in time tbh, but im sure we'll starting picking up some injuries soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hazzaverx said:

Fitzys been immense last few weeks. Kamau still lacks his final touch, albeit so did fitzy last game. But less so than kamau. Kamau's pace will rip defenders if he comes on 70th min.

whatever it is kamo and fitzy cant be in the starting together when Brandan comes back 

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Haha there is absolutely no chance that when Brandan finally does make his return, assuming no injuries, it will be anything other than off the bench. Hard to see him breaking back in at this point in time tbh, but im sure we'll starting picking up some injuries soon.

I think we're talking fully fit brandan. Or i was anyway.

Just now, bt50 said:

Oh he might well be in our best XI, but so is Brattan or Killa probably. Any suggestion he might start this week, even if he is 100% is folly imo.

Absolutely. IMO you have to work your way back into the team. But comparing players side by side fully fit brandan is superior to kamau. No way should brandan get a start before a few introductions off the bench.

17 minutes ago, Hazzaverx said:

Fitzy has one game where he didn't put away his chances? He may not be the most talented player in our squad, but for the most part he plays up to his capabilities. Kamau is grossly over-rated IMO. Doesn't run when he should, and runs when he should pass. Can't make the final pass for toffee. Two of his goals were deflections and not clean strikes.

• Like 4

Played 3, won 3. Little creativity. However, time we've been behind so far this season = 0 mins.

• If we score first we're a VERY good chance to win (reference - last 3 games).
  • If we concede..... i haven't  seen anything from the team yet that suggests we have the creativity, or the game plan to break down an opposition sitting deep.

I think that's what's been lost in this discussion of our current style of play - if you get ahead and defend resolutely, happy days; if you go behind we'll be in trouble.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

Played 3, won 3. Little creativity. However, time we've been behind so far this season = 0 mins.

• If we score first we're a VERY good chance to win (reference - last 3 games).
  • If we concede..... i haven't  seen anything from the team yet that suggests we have the creativity, or the game plan to break down an opposition sitting deep.

I think that's what's been lost in this discussion of our current style of play - if you get ahead and defend resolutely, happy days; if you go behind we'll be in trouble.

Tbf tho i think the answer to that is pretty clearly on the bench; its stacked with attacking players so that if we are searching for an equaliser or winner, we have a glut of options to address that. Exactly how effective that will be remains to be seen, but i dont think we can legitimately criticise something we havent seen yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Fitzy has one game where he didn't put away his chances? He may not be the most talented player in our squad, but for the most part he plays up to his capabilities. Kamau is grossly over-rated IMO. Doesn't run when he should, and runs when he should pass. Can't make the final pass for toffee. Two of his goals were deflections and not clean strikes.

Idk what you thought my points were man but this is exactly what i was saying..

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I reckon piss off the wingers altogether and get some real quality centrally.

Carusca, Budinski, Kilkenny and Timmy should all start IMO

v Roar

Kamau scores

Fitzy assist, Kamau scores

v Tards

Fitzy assist, Budzinski scores

v Nix

Kamau wins free kick, McCormack scores

Seems our wingers have been involved in every goal. Are you sure you'd want that? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

v Roar

Kamau scores

v Tards

Fitzy assist, Budzinski scores

v Nix

Kamau wins free kick, McCormack scores

Seems our wingers have been involved in every goal. Are you sure you'd want that? 

Some of the takes on here that we should make wholesale changes to our side after registering our best start ever are quite laughable really.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, playmaker said:

How do you know as we haven't been in this position yet?

I think Wazza has more than one game plan don't you?  It's just that he hasn't had to execute the others yet.

Sydney FFA Cup - no plan B.

I'm not meaning to be too harsh here, you may well be proved right. I just think if we go behind we will struggle.