Melbourne Football

NZ v Peru WC playoff: 25,000 tickets sold today

CityWildcat

Any other City members going to this in Wellington on Nov 11 / give a shit?

Biggest demand ever for a football match in NZ, the local FA reports. It will be a sellout at 38,000 inside Wellington's Westpac stadium  when public ticketing allocation goes on sale Friday.

We have two EPL aces in Wood and Reid , and Rojas amd Barbarouses of course. But new FIFA rankings out today put Peru at No. 10, 2 ahead of England and 33 ahead of the Socceroos. 

As a consequence of playing Pacific Islands for most of the last 18 months in the Oceania WC group, we have slipped to 122, despite really good efforts as usual against Top 40- teams in friendlies. 

Wish us luck, we will need it in Lima in the return leg at altitude.

1 hour ago, CityWildcat said:

Any other City members going to this in Wellington on Nov 11 / give a shit?

Biggest demand ever for a football match in NZ, the local FA reports. It will be a sellout at 38,000 inside Wellington's Westpac stadium  when public ticketing allocation goes on sale Friday.

We have two EPL aces in Wood and Reid , and Rojas amd Barbarouses of course. But new FIFA rankings out today put Peru at No. 10, 2 ahead of England and 33 ahead of the Socceroos. 

As a consequence of playing Pacific Islands for most of the last 18 months in the Oceania WC group, we have slipped to 122, despite really good efforts as usual against Top 40- teams in friendlies. 

Wish us luck, we will need it in Lima in the return leg at altitude.

New Zealand need to bite the bullet and join the AFC. Alternatively, FIFA need to dissolve the OFC.

I don't see the long-term benefit of the Kiwis in remaining in Oceania. They play one meaningful game every four years when they reach the playoffs. Surely the fans must wish they played some actual footballing countries outside of friendlies...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blackout said:

New Zealand need to bite the bullet and join the AFC. Alternatively, FIFA need to dissolve the OFC.

I don't see the long-term benefit of the Kiwis in remaining in Oceania. They play one meaningful game every four years when they reach the playoffs. Surely the fans must wish they played some actual footballing countries outside of friendlies...

Surely Oceania should be dissolved and absorbed into Asia? Ideally id spilt Asia into West and East a la the ACL with 3 spots going to East and 2 to the West after an absorbtion of Oceania into East Asia. IMO thats a win for every party in a 32 team world cup. The intercontinental playoff can then be between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL if need be, or a meritocracy can take place and give South America the 5th spot in earnest.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Surely Oceania should be dissolved and absorbed into Asia? Ideally id spilt Asia into West and East a la the ACL with 3 spots going to East and 2 to the West after an absorbtion of Oceania into East Asia. IMO thats a win for every party in a 32 team world cup. The intercontinental playoff can then be between CONCACAF and CONMEBOL if need be, or a meritocracy can take place and give South America the 5th spot in earnest.

Strongly agree on the absorption of Oceania and the split into East and West Asia.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

You are overlooking all the officials from Oceania on the FIFA gravy train. No way will they want their meal ticket dissolved.

• Like 2

Very good points, all.   Yes, as a longstanding fan who first saw the All Whites v Hungary in Christchurch in 1982, I have to agree, I find the Oceania qualifying group to be comparatively worthless in terms of opposition since Australia when to Asia.

Oddly, when we are forced to bite the bullet and play strong opponents, we are rarely disgraced now.  Remember this, Trivial Pursuit fans, NZ was the ONLY unbeaten team at the 2010 World Cup. And we have had excellent results on European ''friendlys'' tours in recent years.

I too would prefer us to be playing Australia, Japan, etc  in an attempt to qualify. (We only lost to Japan 2-1 very recently in a friendly). 

Look at Iceland, which has in total 8 per cent of the Kiwi population. And already in Russia. Like them, we need to match it with the big kids, regularly.

Peru will be a fierce opponent.  But I've got my  ticket and flights booked and I'm going with a very good mate who lives in Wellington, and we will be screaming our lungs out. 

Interestingly,  with a 38,000 sellout definite tomorrow for the Nov 11 Peru game (Peruvian expats bought their entire Active allocation in 7  minutes on Tuesday!)  those who attend All Blacks rugby tests  and All Whites matches regularly have mentioned this week that the All Whites crowd atmosphere in critical World Cup home games (v Bahrain 2010, v Mexico 2013)  absolutely blitzes what the rugby crowds offer in terms of volume. It is going to be some event, whatever the score.  

Edited by CityWildcat

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday was amazing.  Best football crowd/atmosphere ever seen in NZ. Well worth the trip, that was.... 

Tomorrow at 1.15pm Melbourne time we fight the guinea-pig munchers for the last spot in Russia.   And they are shit scared....really.  Ranked 10th in the world and couldn't put it in the net in Wellington.   

The stadium in Lima holds 45,000...680,000 Peruvians applied for a ticket.  We can go all out, we have no fear now.

Good luck to the Socceroos tonight.  

Edited by CityWildcat
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

Saturday was amazing.  Best football crowd/atmosphere ever seen in NZ. Well worth the trip, that was.... 

Tomorrow at 1.15pm Melbourne time we fight the guinea-pig munchers for the last spot in Russia.   And they are shit scared....really.  Ranked 10th in the world and couldn't put it in the net in Wellington.   

The stadium in Lima holds 45,000...680,000 Peruvians applied for a ticket.  We can go all out, we have no fear now.

Good luck to the Socceroos tonight.  

I'll be watching the game at home today, go All Whites!

On 16/11/2017 at 5:02 PM, CityWildcat said:

The best team won.  But over both legs we gave them a scare until the second half today.

Congrats to the Socceroos.  

In Wood you have a top drawer striker. Certainly better than anything we can muster, unfortunately when he was injured and reduced to a bit part role you were pretty much fucked. 

For mine I would have had young Tyler Boyd in the squad, not that it probably would have mattered, but he is (in my book at least) a serious prospect.

Edited by Shahanga