Melbourne Football

R3 vs Wellington Phoenix AAMI Park Saturday 21/10 5:35pm

Forever City

Assuming Osama is no good for this week, we have 3 options. Brattan, Kilkenny or Budzinski

I think it should be budz or Brattan as nix will sit back and let us have the ball, so we need the creativity to unlock them. Apart from that no change

One thing we have to get right this week is set pieces especially corners. If the kid keeper plays for them, he has no idea what he is doing at crosses. Put the ball on his head and get bodies around him, he double grabs most claims and completely dropped one yesterday. Apply the pressure to him 

7 minutes ago, neio said:

Assuming Osama is no good for this week, we have 3 options. Brattan, Kilkenny or Budzinski

I think it should be budz or Brattan as nix will sit back and let us have the ball, so we need the creativity to unlock them. Apart from that no change

One thing we have to get right this week is set pieces especially corners. If the kid keeper plays for them, he has no idea what he is doing at crosses. Put the ball on his head and get bodies around him, he double grabs most claims and completely dropped one yesterday. Apply the pressure to him 

He won't enjoy the prospect of facing Timmy then...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hedaik said:

Will be my first game in a while that Im attending and also bringing my 3yo for his first game....could be a big mistake. 

I started my boy around 3. We had heaps of 5pm games back then from memory.  But yeah it was hard yards. The following season he was around 4 he started getting the concept of the game but always barracked for the opposing side. And when we score he lose it, roll around screaming and crying. (Lucky for me Mr unlucky was in charge so wasn't too painful ). Now at 7 he's rusted on and knows more than me. The other kids are less hassle they just follow.

I see it like teaching them swimming. At first it's really a drain but afterwards you can kick  back and enjoy.

• Like 5

It would be so emblematic of this club to cop a draw from this game and then get one additional point from the next three (away to Adelaide, home to Sydney and WSW). So far it looks like a new dawn with City, but I've been wrong before.

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I started my boy around 3. We had heaps of 5pm games back then from memory.  But yeah it was hard yards. The following season he was around 4 he started getting the concept of the game but always barracked for the opposing side. And when we score he lose it, roll around screaming and crying. (Lucky for me Mr unlucky was in charge so wasn't too painful ). Now at 7 he's rusted on and knows more than me. The other kids are less hassle they just follow.

I see it like teaching them swimming. At first it's really a drain but afterwards you can kick  back and enjoy.

I took my four year old to her first AFL game this year and she lasted until halftime, which wasn't too bad, I thought. She loved the mascots and banners the best, so I reckon given that an A-League game isn't as long and we have more mascots than you can poke a stick at, she should do OK.

I watched Wellington yesterday and defensively they are all over the shop, I honestly couldn't work out if it was a back 3 or 4 for large parts of the game. Galloway started as a RB, then was a LB, then was a LM but no one replaced him at RB. Then they took Mullen off and Durante got injured, and for last 10 minutes absolutely no idea who was supposed to be where

It took me back to the good old days of last year when we couldn't decide who was supposed to be where 

13 minutes ago, SF33 said:

It would be so emblematic of this club to cop a draw from this game and then get one additional point from the next three (away to Adelaide, home to Sydney and WSW). So far it looks like a new dawn with City, but I've been wrong before.

I took my four year old to her first AFL game this year and she lasted until halftime, which wasn't too bad, I thought. She loved the mascots and banners the best, so I reckon given that an A-League game isn't as long and we have more mascots than you can poke a stick at, she should do OK.

Sometimes I bring my 4 year old cousin, he's just happy to stare at the terrace lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hakz7 said:

We haven’t won the next game following a (league) derby win since 2011 so let’s see if we can continue our form this time.

Yes, this is a real danger game for us in that it's going to be a true test of our mentality. If JVS was still here I'd bet my house on us losing this one. Now, I'm not sure

Possible Starting XI

Kamau                                  McCormack                            Fitzgerald

Mauk                                              Budzinski

Jakobsen

Jamieson           La Rocca           Schenkeveld           Muscat

Galekovic

Bench - Cahill  Carrusca  Brattan/Kilkenny   La Rocca Tongyik

Edited by Afif Adam

After last week I reackon Kilkenny will replace Malik and start assuming Malik will miss.

Kamau                     Ross                  Fitzy 

Mauk

Jakobsen Kilkenny 

Jamieson  La Rocca   Bort       Muscat 

This 424 with the ball. Without the ball Mauk drops with the wide players and effectively playing a 5 4 1. But really it's more about marking space with Joyce as opposed to closing down players. 

Against Brisbane I put it down them being shit and not being able to put 3 passes together before they went long but in hindsight it was caused by instead of pressing and closing the initial ball player it was more about removing his options. 

So the real test will be against a team that can hold onto the ball effectively and has good forward moved (Sydney). 

The other question I have is Brandan doesn't really suit this style as in he isn't strong in tracking back,  and defensively he is very weak in the tackle even a liability especially in our box. Not that Kamau is a world beater either in this respect but he has done alot so far. Fitzy is probably our best but tbf he was slack for the goal conceded. 

That leaves Carusca. Will he be only used if we are chasing a goal?

Cahill and McCormick are probably going to share time as the sole striker. 

My only concern will be if we concede early (Sydney cup game) do we have the ability to come back?

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

After last week I reackon Kilkenny will replace Malik and start assuming Malik will miss.

Kamau                     Ross                  Fitzy 

Mauk

Jakobsen Kilkenny 

Jamieson  La Rocca   Bort       Muscat 

This 424 with the ball. Without the ball Mauk drops with the wide players and effectively playing a 5 4 1. But really it's more about marking space with Joyce as opposed to closing down players. 

Against Brisbane I put it down them being shit and not being able to put 3 passes together before they went long but in hindsight it was caused by instead of pressing and closing the initial ball player it was more about removing his options. 

So the real test will be against a team that can hold onto the ball effectively and has good forward moved (Sydney). 

The other question I have is Brandan doesn't really suit this style as in he isn't strong in tracking back,  and defensively he is very weak in the tackle even a liability especially in our box. Not that Kamau is a world beater either in this respect but he has done alot so far. Fitzy is probably our best but tbf he was slack for the goal conceded. 

That leaves Carusca. Will he be only used if we are chasing a goal?

Cahill and McCormick are probably going to share time as the sole striker. 

My only concern will be if we concede early (Sydney cup game) do we have the ability to come back?

I agree with pretty much all of that except id start Brattan over Killa. Malik starts for mine if available, but time will tell.

Bench of Carrusca, Cahill, Tongyik and Budzinski. One of Bratts or Killa to miss again. I suspect Brandan will be given a bit longer for now, until form or injury allows him into the side.

21 hours ago, neio said:

I watched Wellington yesterday and defensively they are all over the shop, I honestly couldn't work out if it was a back 3 or 4 for large parts of the game. Galloway started as a RB, then was a LB, then was a LM but no one replaced him at RB. Then they took Mullen off and Durante got injured, and for last 10 minutes absolutely no idea who was supposed to be where

It took me back to the good old days of last year when we couldn't decide who was supposed to be where 

ahh the old wing swap tactics.. gets the defence every time.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, neio said:

Reminds me of my Over 45s side, no formation discussed at kick off, so half the side think it's 442 and the other half 433.

Been thinking about this Wellington game and assuming Malik is out originally I was thinking Kilkenny then Brattan in that order depending on fitness.

I'm kinda leaning now on starting Cahill. Drop Mauk alongside Jakobsen as what happened in the 2nd half of the Derby and play Cahill alongside Ross. 

Main reason Wellington's keeper won't want to come out of the tunnel once he knows Cahill will be starting. 

Their defence will be terrified because Cahill will be on fire!

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Cheers. Just flicking back to that tackle for a moment, good of williams to apologise but far out it was a stiff challenge.. Another day or later in the game it could of been a red..

"MELBOURNE City’s Osama Malik has been cleared to play in Saturday’s home clash with Wellington Phoenix after his bruising derby cameo."

"Fellow midfielders Luke Brattan and Neil Kilkenny are fully fit and available, Tim Cahill is training fully after returning from Socceroos duty and marquee super sub Marcin Budzinski pushing for selection with his stunning strike."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/osama-malik-reveals-apology-from-rhys-williams-after-derby-tackle/news-story/201d4be12ea8951c67a43828b976e05e

So, our midfield options are: Malik, Brattan, Mauk, Kilkenny, Budzinski, Carussca, Cahill. Maybe Jabobsen.

We've got enough midfielders for 2 midfields. Big selection headache for Joyce this weekend.   

• Like 2