Melbourne Football

2017/18 Matchday Thread

bt50

Adelaide crushing Phoenix now. They will be on 36 points tonight and then have to face both Sydney sides in Sydney.

My word, I'm still not confident about City - we are going to have to show something on Sunday. The advantage is that everyone else will have played by then, so we will know what we have to do. But I'm nervous.

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Adelaide crushing Phoenix now. They will be on 36 points tonight and then have to face both Sydney sides in Sydney.

My word, I'm still not confident about City - we are going to have to show something on Sunday. The advantage is that everyone else will have played by then, so we will know what we have to do. But I'm nervous.

This is a stock standard situation for us. Whenever we have destiny in our own hands we choke. 

My only solace and glimmer of hope is that for all the shit Wazza has created he has inadvertently created a winning dna. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jovan said:

This is a stock standard situation for us. Whenever we have destiny in our own hands we choke. 

My only solace and glimmer of hope is that for all the shit Wazza has created he has inadvertently created a winning dna. 

So your're saying this game is a must win game and we will see where the team is at:hoff:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

None more obvious than in Season 2015/16 where we were first with two rounds to go, but choked to finish fourth. That season we had a record number of goals, Bruno won the Golden Boot and Sorensen was GK of the Year, but we still didn't win anything.

Edited by jw1739
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

None more obvious than in Season 2015/16 where we were first with two rounds to go, but choked to finish fourth. That season we had a record number of goals, Bruno won the Golden Boot and Sorensen was GK of the Year, but we still didn't win anything.

I still get so mad I can barely see straight when I think about that fucking Adelaide game

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If Victory beat Wanderers tonight, then none of Wanderers, Perth, Central Coast and Wellington can overtake us in the standings. So we can finish no lower than sixth.

Ah well thats unfortunate 

• Like 1

This pisses me off, if we didnt throw a couple of games this season, (the ones due to indiviudal brain farts) we would be seriously close to, if not, 2nd in the league right now

Newcastle 0-2 Perth

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, haz said:

This pisses me off, if we didnt throw a couple of games this season, (the ones due to indiviudal brain farts) we would be seriously close to, if not, 2nd in the league right now

Newcastle 0-2 Perth

It's something - probably the next big thing - that Joyce still has to get into the players' heads. Every match is worth the same number of points. For me, the classic is the one point we (Bouzanis) threw away in the second derby and the two extra points we gifted MV at the same time. Those points would make such a difference now.

We have been like that since Heart Day 1.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It's something - probably the next big thing - that Joyce still has to get into the players' heads. Every match is worth the same number of points. For me, the classic is the one point we (Bouzanis) threw away in the second derby and the two extra points we gifted MV at the same time. Those points would make such a difference now.

We have been like that since Heart Day 1.

Yep exactly.

Both the Bouzanis and La Rocca incidents were 6 points we lost. Those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head, I think there is atleast 2-3 more.

Boys, I think I jinxed it.  I was in the middle of writing a big "3rd place, fuck yea etc." post when they got their penalty

-------------------------------------------------

Out of everyone from Victory, King Kenny is the only person I want to do well, so good work to him. 

Its a good story about his life if anyone finds it online

Edited by haz

58 minutes ago, haz said:

Boys, I think I jinxed it.  I was in the middle of writing a big "3rd place, fuck yea etc." post when they got their penalty

-------------------------------------------------

Out of everyone from Victory, King Kenny is the only person I want to do well, so good work to him. 

Its a good story about his life if anyone finds it online

Who?

Looks like we'll be avoiding Perth regardless of WSW's performance tomorrow, good result.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Incredible performance by Newcastle. That's the way to close out the regular season and prepare for a semi-final.

Our performance was certainly much worse than Newy's, but the two games today speak volumes about the two bottom sides IMO. Wellington seemed motivated to turn up and spoil our party, Central Coast looked like they couldn't wait to cash their last paycheck and go on holiday, they're a fucking rabble.

12 hours ago, Embee said:

Looks like we'll be avoiding Perth regardless of WSW's performance tomorrow, good result.

Our performance was certainly much worse than Newy's, but the two games today speak volumes about the two bottom sides IMO. Wellington seemed motivated to turn up and spoil our party, Central Coast looked like they couldn't wait to cash their last paycheck and go on holiday, they're a fucking rabble.

I'd rather be looking at our motivation than that of Wellington or Central Coast.

Some of the sacred cows in our squad need their arses kicked. As does Joyce for his bizarre substitutions.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd rather be looking at our motivation than that of Wellington or Central Coast.

Some of the sacred cows in our squad need their arses kicked. As does Joyce for his bizarre substitutions.

If we're going to compare our motivation to Newy's, are we also going to look at their atrocious run of form in the previous 3 games or are we just looking at the last one?

It was an awful performance and hardly ideal before the elimination final but Newcastle have been absolutely awful for almost a month, let's not pretend they've had a better run in simply because of one game.

• Like 1

Actually guys if the club is serious about high performance then surely there’s only one club to compare ourselves to - Sydney.

How has their run in been? How did they go in their last game, even though it was a dead rubber?

Thats the standard and frankly we are bloody long way off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

Actually guys if the club is serious about high performance then surely there’s only one club to compare ourselves to - Sydney.

How has their run in been? How did they go in their last game, even though it was a dead rubber?

Thats the standard and frankly we are bloody long way off.

Well, I guess that's what I was doing - asking that very same rhetorical question. Sydney had nothing riding on their match. Indeed it could be argued that if they lost it then there was a fair chance that they could avoid Melbourne Victory in the run to the GF. But they did everything they could to win it, and so I ask myself - did we show against Phoenix the intensity that Bobo did to get his touch to Zullo's cross for Sydney's goal? Did we show against Phoenix the intensity that Wilkinson did to (just) prevent George's chip from crossing the line for a Victory equaliser? (BTW, was the VAR called into action for that? - it must have been only centimetres from being a goal.)

IMO the club has made many steps forward this season, but I honestly don't think I can answer "yes" to the above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Well, I guess that's what I was doing - asking that very same rhetorical question. Sydney had nothing riding on their match. Indeed it could be argued that if they lost it then there was a fair chance that they could avoid Melbourne Victory in the run to the GF. But they did everything they could to win it, and so I ask myself - did we show against Phoenix the intensity that Bobo did to get his touch to Zullo's cross for Sydney's goal? Did we show against Phoenix the intensity that Wilkinson did to (just) prevent George's chip from crossing the line for a Victory equaliser? (BTW, was the VAR called into action for that? - it must have been only centimetres from being a goal.)

IMO the club has made many steps forward this season, but I honestly don't think I can answer "yes" to the above.

TBF, you sighted Newcastle's 'incredible performance' as the optimum way to approach finals, based on their absolutely horrendous run when the pressure to hold second was off I was questioning that logic.

Clearly Sydney is the benchmark and everybody is well behind that as far as this home and away season goes. We've made improvements from where we've been for just about all of our history as a club though and go into this final series with every chance to get ourselves into the grand final, and if we do anything can happen. I've said time and time again on here that some people (not accusing you in particular this time) like any excuse to go back to wallowing in despair and the reaction to this loss hasn't changed my opinion on that at all. Bad loss, however our form to clinch third was very solid in circumstances where we normally would've folded.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2