Melbourne Football

2017/18 Matchday Thread

bt50

7 minutes ago, haz said:

Such an amateur league. Never once in my "sunday league" growing up we had to tape the net.

Also yea, fuck Victree. But we put this on ourselves

Absolutely correct - brought it upon ourselves.

After the first four rounds we had four wins and 12 points. Since then, only Central Coast and Wellington have obtained fewer points.
Sydney: 42.
Newcastle: 39.
Visitors: 33.
Brisbane: 27.
Adelaide and Western Sydney: 24.
Perth and Melbourne City: 22.

Of course, the season should be viewed in its entirety. But the numbers show how much we have fallen behind the others as the season has progressed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely correct - brought it upon ourselves.

After the first four rounds we had four wins and 12 points. Since then, only Central Coast and Wellington have obtained fewer points.
Sydney: 42.
Newcastle: 39.
Visitors: 33.
Brisbane: 27.
Adelaide and Western Sydney: 24.
Perth and Melbourne City: 22.

Of course, the season should be viewed in its entirety. But the numbers show how much we have fallen behind the others as the season has progressed.

Can you pull up the same stats for the last 3 seasons? like points from the last 10 games. i think we will see the same pattern

OK, here we are. Below I've tabled the points garnered from the last 10 matches played in the regular season, for each of the past three seasons.

Season 2014/15:                                                     Season 2015/16                                                  Season 2016/17

Sydney 24.                                                                 Perth 24.                                                               Sydney 23.
Victory 20.                                                                 Adelaide 23.                                                         WSW 18.
Wellington 17.                                                           Brisbane 17.                                                         Perth 18.
Adelaide 16.                                                              City 16.                                                                 Victory 17.
Perth 16.                                                                    Newcastle 14.                                                      Brisbane 15.
City 14.                                                                      Victory 14.                                                             City 13 .
Brisbane 13.                                                              WSW 13.                                                               Adelaide 12.
WSW 10.                                                                    Wellington 9.                                                        Wellington 11.
Newcastle 8.                                                             Sydney 7.                                                              Central Coast 10.
Central Coast 8.                                                        Central Coast 1.                                                  Newcastle 2.

I think that these number confirm what you suspected @haz. We are not up there with the best finishers to any season, our best effort being 2015/16.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

OK, here we are. Below I've tabled the points garnered from the last 10 matches played in the regular season, for each of the past three seasons.

Season 2014/15:                                                     Season 2015/16                                                  Season 2016/17

Sydney 24.                                                                 Perth 24.                                                               Sydney 23.
Victory 20.                                                                 Adelaide 23.                                                         WSW 18.
Wellington 17.                                                           Brisbane 17.                                                         Perth 18.
Adelaide 16.                                                              City 16.                                                                 Victory 17.
Perth 16.                                                                    Newcastle 14.                                                      Brisbane 15.
City 14.                                                                      Victory 14.                                                             City 13 .
Brisbane 13.                                                              WSW 13.                                                               Adelaide 12.
WSW 10.                                                                    Wellington 9.                                                        Wellington 11.
Newcastle 8.                                                             Sydney 7.                                                              Central Coast 10.
Central Coast 8.                                                        Central Coast 1.                                                  Newcastle 2.

I think that these number confirm what you suspected @haz. We are not up there with the best finishers to any season, our best effort being 2015/16.

Yep we consider our selves a 'Big Club' but perform like we shouldn't make the finals.

I wonder who had the better home runs in the last 10 games? This season is sus . Sydney's final two games are at home. while City, Victory, Adelaide and Newy are away.

36 minutes ago, haz said:

Yep we consider our selves a 'Big Club' but perform like we shouldn't make the finals.

I wonder who had the better home runs in the last 10 games? This season is sus . Sydney's final two games are at home. while City, Victory, Adelaide and Newy are away.

@haz Each club has played 6 of its final 10 matches in the regular season 2017/18. The results make even more interesting reading.

Newcastle : 14 points.
Sydney : 12.
Brisbane: 12.
WSW: 11.
Perth: 10
Victory: 9.
Adelaide: 6.
City: 5.
Central Coast: 4.
Wellington: 3.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So basically statistically were cooked.

Deep fried

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@haz Each club has played 6 of its final 10 matches in the regular season 2017/18. The results make even more interesting reading.

Newcastle : 14 points.
Sydney : 12.
Brisbane: 12.
WSW: 11.
Perth: 10
Victory: 9.
Adelaide: 6.
City: 5.
Central Coast: 4.
Wellington: 3.

Statistics dont lie. I predict us to finish in 5th

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, haz said:

Deep fried

Statistics dont lie. I predict us to finish in 5th

Yep. 

In seasons past we had the JVS mini run anomaly to hope for. So to win 4 games in a row wasn't an unreasonable hope.

Now we got nothin but cold hard stats and that leads to only 1 possible outcome. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Yep. 

In seasons past we had the JVS mini run anomaly to hope for. So to win 4 games in a row wasn't an unreasonable hope.

Now we got nothin but cold hard stats and that leads to only 1 possible outcome. 

TBH, I'm finding these statistics a bit disturbing, because they indicate that whatever the reason is (or reasons are) that we run out of steam at the end of the season, it appears that we have so far not been able to eliminate the problem(s). Is it injuries, is it selection, is it fiddling with the squad in mid-season...

There will be some effects from the actual fixture - opponents in the last few matches, rest periods between matches, home or away matches, etc. etc. - but to be so consistently in roughly the middle of the list for each season really puzzles me.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH, I'm finding these statistics a bit disturbing, because they indicate that whatever the reason is (or reasons are) that we run out of steam at the end of the season, it appears that we have so far not been able to eliminate the problem(s). Is it injuries, is it selection, is it fiddling with the squad in mid-season...

There will be some effects from the actual fixture - opponents in the last few matches, rest periods between matches, home or away matches, etc. etc. - but to be so consistently in roughly the middle of the list for each season really puzzles me.

Yep 4 seasons in a row, something needs to be done.

Interesting to see that each of those seasons you mentioned, no team was consistently at the top (bar Sydney), whereas we have always been bad

8 hours ago, haz said:

Yep 4 seasons in a row, something needs to be done.

Interesting to see that each of those seasons you mentioned, no team was consistently at the top (bar Sydney), whereas we have always been bad

The ultimate paradox.

Consistently inconsistent. 

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Have we ever fought for anything outside our one FFA Cup triumph?

Adelaide leading Newcastle 1-0.

Make that 2

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Have we ever fought for anything outside our one FFA Cup triumph?

In Germany we call this mentality ' Weich Ei '

Gonna take this result as bitter sweet, means Newcastle are vulnerable next week and in finals, yet we can't afford any missteps.

That said, given we have CCM (at home) and Wellington (away) to come it's gonna take a massive fuck up by us to finish with less than 40 points (and that assumes we can't take at least a point of either WSW or Newcastle). 

That means Adelaide need at least 7 points from their remaining 9 (they 3 games left) and for us to drop off against WSW and Newcastle to move into 4th. 

Not impossible, just requires a few things to go their way. Particularly since Adelaide have WSW and Sydney away 

Edited by mattyh001