Melbourne Football

2017/18 Matchday Thread

bt50

5 hours ago, haz said:

I think its a positive, it shows how strong how depth is that these two who were barely making the bench can walk into the starting XIs of other teams

Well actually it depends. 

Some could argue that they should have been in our starting XI and lesser quality players should be on the the bench.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Well actually it depends. 

Some could argue that they should have been in our starting XI and lesser quality players should be on the the bench.

Or the flip side is some could say that a couple of our current players wouldn't even be in the starting eleven in other teams. 

Im no fan of the VAR, its been an unmitigated disaster imo. I do however think it was used 100% accurately and fairly last night however; the only issue people should have is comparatively with incidents from other games.

Edited by bt50

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Im no fan of the VAR, its been an unmitigated disaster imo. I do however think it was used 100% accurately and fairly last night however; the only issue people should have is comparatively with incidents from other games.

Will take a couple of years (globally) to iron out all the bugs. I think in the end the VAR ref will end up as a defect second on field ref and end up making decisions accordingly, as close to real time as possible and then letting the on field ref know. Its here and it will stay so the only thing that is possible to do is to try make it work. 

As with anything new there needs to be clearer lines drawn and modification of existing rules to make it work. 

I was never a fan of brining it in but probably not really anywhere else to go given that supporters and pundits seemed to forget that mistakes will be made and that the referees dont have access to multiple slow mo camera angles. 

1 hour ago, HEARTinator said:

Tards lose 2:zip to the Jets. Nice ;)

Depends how you look at it. Sydney are out of sight, and the way Newcastle are going it will be hard to catch them for second. Likely means we will be jostling for third with Adelaide and Victory, but we don't have an easy run home and will need a few wins in the remaining 9 matches to do it.

8 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Kinda, sorta. We're actually closer to second than we are to forth and haven't lost in 6, I know we're a pessimistic lot, but we're not in a bad position to catch the Jets.

It will be a close finish between 2nd and 3rd. Both teams are known for collaspes

16 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Terrible refereeing from Shaun Evans. Incompetence writ large. 

Looked to me as though Gulum made sufficient contact - as the last man he had to go. If that had been a City forward going down, we would have bayed for the red.

As long as Adelaide don't come from behind to win the results this weekend will have been in our favour.

Edited by jw1739

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Looked to me as though Gulum made sufficient contact - as the last man he had to go. If that had been a City forward going down, we would have bayed for the red.

As long as Adelaide don't come from behind to win the results this weekend will have been in our favour.

A red card every day of the week

Its a genuine 50-50 for me, but if you call the foul you have to call the red. There's def contact there and you only need to be pushed off balance for that to be obstructing a clear opportunity, but there's no doubt the contact is minimal. One of those ones where you feel hard done by either way i think.

1 minute ago, mattyh001 said:

Am listening on the ABC listen app, had to laugh.

Flares from rbb straight after, here comes a loss of a few points... 

FOX commentators didnt say a word about them, even though the whole pitch was just smoke

1 minute ago, haz said:

FOX commentators didnt say a word about them, even though the whole pitch was just smoke

iirc, Fox has made a very dedicated effort to downplay the behaviour - as if to say Fox won't give the muppets who wanna rip flares 15 minutes of game. Personally don't see where the fun is.

In anycase if your clubs been in trouble for the shit in the past then what the hell are you doing baiting the FFA? 

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, haz said:

Sydney down 0-2 against Brisbane at home....

I just realized too that Sydney's final two games of the regular season are at home, add that to the FFA conspiracy.

Sydney have had a goal disallowed by VAR for offside.  Loving it, even with Aloisi being the "architect"

Both Sydney and the Victory get more home matches at the end due to ACL appearances. Would apply to us if we weren't so shit and always finding a way to miss qualification for the ACL.

6 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Sydney have had a goal disallowed by VAR for offside.  Loving it, even with Aloisi being the "architect"

Both Sydney and the Victory get more home matches at the end due to ACL appearances. Would apply to us if we weren't so shit and always finding a way to miss qualification for the ACL.

Nope, Victory's final match is against Sydney. Unless my app is wrong?

Sydney falling apart.

FML same story every season, if we didnt drop some of those stupid games, we would be in a position to have a shot at the premiership. But noopppeeeee, we will be fighting for 4th as usual.

28 minutes ago, haz said:

Nope, Victory's final match is against Sydney. Unless my app is wrong?

Take a look at last the 8 league game for Victory: 6 games are in Melbourne. Helps there was an "away" derby, but still a great run

Edited by mattyh001