Melbourne Football

2017/18 Matchday Thread

bt50

13 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Redmayne would have more chance of saving a word document then a fucking penalty jesus.

I don't even know why he stands their, just give the opposition a goal for it the minute to penatly is called

Mate he would press Alt+F4, then furiously clap before he would know how to save a document.

8 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Good to see the tards call out the Smurf’s consistent unpunished fouling ... when Aloisi spat shite last season about Bruno diving, all of a sudden the refs took notice and gave us nothing. Maybe they’ll start punishing the FFA Sydney now for their professional fouling

unlikely its Sydney

Sorry. Kind of drunk and not really watching but.... Matt McKay just requested to the ref to review VAR for that tackle on Gameiro (spelling). I mean, it was a straight red card any day of the week but Mr. McKay can't do that. Shouldn't he have been carded for that? From what the broadcast showed it was a yellow that got upgraded after McKay complained...?

The whole system is fucked. We would not even need the VAR if the Refs were competent, he was going to give a yellow! So fucked, could have easily ended his career. Ive had knee injuries from the exact motion his knee/leg moved. 

Good on the VAR for upgrading to a red. Absolutely shocking tackle. That was the right decision and good on the VAR. my concern is that McKay harassed the ref to check the VAR and didn’t get punished at all. As far as I’m aware, this is setting a precident for future incidents where players tell the ref to look at the VAR. from what we’ve been told, players are not allowed to do this. In the future if a player gets a yellow for suggesting a VAR review he only needs to refer to this incident. McKay was well out of line and didn’t get punished.

26 minutes ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

Good on the VAR for upgrading to a red. Absolutely shocking tackle. That was the right decision and good on the VAR. my concern is that McKay harassed the ref to check the VAR and didn’t get punished at all. As far as I’m aware, this is setting a precident for future incidents where players tell the ref to look at the VAR. from what we’ve been told, players are not allowed to do this. In the future if a player gets a yellow for suggesting a VAR review he only needs to refer to this incident. McKay was well out of line and didn’t get punished.

Not sure Mckays indiscretion should be the focus here 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

After the changes that were made in mid-December to restrict the use of the VAR the game returned more or less to normal. My impression is that we're starting to see the use of the VAR creep back in again. IMO a backward step again. 

The problem is the HAL Refs. I dont like the VAR but it great that it was used in the Roar game, how the ref did not think that was a red is beyond me. If we had competent refs who could make correct decisions we would never even have to refer to the VAR.

The next problem was how in hell did it take VAR that long to decide it was a red? after the first replay everyone knew it was a red. How does the VAR work? Is it continuously watching the game or does it only start to watch/monitor when an incident happens or the center ref asks for it?

8 hours ago, haz said:

The problem is the HAL Refs. I dont like the VAR but it great that it was used in the Roar game, how the ref did not think that was a red is beyond me. If we had competent refs who could make correct decisions we would never even have to refer to the VAR.

The next problem was how in hell did it take VAR that long to decide it was a red? after the first replay everyone knew it was a red. How does the VAR work? Is it continuously watching the game or does it only start to watch/monitor when an incident happens or the center ref asks for it?

VAR is a person, not a thing. It stands for Video Assistant Referee. My understanding is that the VAR is supposed to be watching the entire match on video (he/she doesn't have to be physically present at the match) and that the equipment used by the VAR has instant replay capability etc. What was happening prior to the December rethink was that the VAR was making suggestions to the field referee over the audio link. What is now supposed to happen is that the VAR gets involved only when asked by the on-field referee.

IN the City-Newcastle match the VAR and the on-field referee between them took an age to decide that Delbridge had fouled a player in the lead-up to his "goal" and hence the "goal" was disallowed. Everyone around me thought that the VAR was adjudicating on whether the ball had crossed the line (which it clearly had). IMO the longer it takes for a decision to be made then the more doubtful the final decision is going to be. The on-field referee didn't see the alleged foul, and before the advent of video assistant referees that goal would have stood.

On 1/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, Torn Asunder said:

Good to see the tards call out the Smurf’s consistent unpunished fouling ... when Aloisi spat shite last season about Bruno diving, all of a sudden the refs took notice and gave us nothing. Maybe they’ll start punishing the FFA Sydney now for their professional fouling

Kevin Muscat has the temerity to complain about fouls by an opposition team? The man voted as the dirtiest player in football, who received 123 yellow and 12 reds in his career? Also named as the "most hated man in football" and who finished his career with an 8-match suspension for his "tackle" on Heart's Adrian Zahra?

The bloke should have been banned for life from any further involvement with the game.

• Like 1

Yep, agree, Muscat is a dog, and was a shocking player with his tackles ...the irony not lost on me that he is whining like a cut sheep ... but, what was pointed out is true, Sydney consistently get away with professional fouls, and it seems like they are being favoured by the refs in not being appropriately punished, in comparison to other teams. Don’t know the stats but Muscunt was quoting fouls per yellow card and he said that Sydney are twice the league average.

Edited by Torn Asunder

54 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

isn't it supposed to be no double "penalty", so just a pen and a yellow as it wasn't a dirty foul, wrong call then

Only if the tackle was a 'genuine' attempt at the ball. In this case it was cynical af, so its deemed a red.

• Like 1