Melbourne Football

2017/18 Matchday Thread

bt50

JA's press conference was a spitting image from his time with us "unlucky", "players are positive with the way we're playing", "decisions went against us", etc.

Can see this becoming a toxic Wenger/Arsenal relationship with the fans. Bakries wont want to pay his contract out and the supporters were already offside with the Broich situation and the amount of over 30's in the squad and now they look like the worst side in the comp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

JA's press conference was a spitting image from his time with us "unlucky", "players are positive with the way we're playing", "decisions went against us", etc.

Can see this becoming a toxic Wenger/Arsenal relationship with the fans. Bakries wont want to pay his contract out and the supporters were already offside with the Broich situation and the amount of over 30's in the squad and now they look like the worst side in the comp.

What was actually wrong with Maccarone's goal?

8 hours ago, Chris p said:

Var is surely finished  ? absolute disgrace tonight, by far the worst implementation of video referee of any sport 

Nope it's here to stay. All sports introducing video refereeing had a backlash at the start but once the players coaches refs and fans got used to it, it has been accepted. 

Our problem is that our league is pretty mediocre at best for refereeing to start with so this is going to get very messy.

But it's here and going nowhere. 

11 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I complain about our average but to see that pissy crowd watxhing East Sydney is a disgrace. Destroyed the league last season and they can't get a decent crowd to watch them. And clam they are the "biggest club" in the A-League.

Shit crowd for a shit match.

i switched over to the rugby league test match 

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Nope it's here to stay. All sports introducing video refereeing had a backlash at the start but once the players coaches refs and fans got used to it, it has been accepted. 

Our problem is that our league is pretty mediocre at best for refereeing to start with so this is going to get very messy.

But it's here and going nowhere. 

Well it's still a trial period but i genuinely fear for the future of the game if it stays 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Well it's still a trial period but i genuinely fear for the future of the game if it stays 

I'm prepared to accept it for goal-line decisions and perhaps to assist the on-field referee with crucial penalty-box decisions when they ask for the VAR. However I don't think we should see it being used to call the play back when the on-field referee not seen something, or not acted on something, several passes earlier. Otherwise we might as well dispense with the on-field referee making any decision, and simply have the match refereed via video.

17 hours ago, Chris p said:

Var is surely finished  ? absolute disgrace tonight, by far the worst implementation of video referee of any sport 

I think it would be less shit if the FFA/Foxtel coughed up the cash and put some cameras on the far side of the ground. Last night, the cameras view of the handball was obscured by Mills' body. Its really hard to overturn a decision when the replay can't clearly show the incident.

19 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I complain about our average but to see that pissy crowd watxhing East Sydney is a disgrace. Destroyed the league last season and they can't get a decent crowd to watch them. And clam they are the "biggest club" in the A-League.

10,063 vs. Perth is about all I would expect. It just looks terrible in a 45,500 capacity stadium. Most A-League matches are played in stadiums that are far too big for the actual attendances.

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Crickey the celebrations from the sauce bottle bench. They want that SO badly, reacting like they've won the league 

I would have reacted like that if we had have played with the same attacking purpose the sauce bottles did and then posted a win like that. Good stuff from Okon's boys.

• Like 2

Just now, HEARTinator said:

I would have reacted like that if we had have played with the same attacking purpose the sauce bottles did and then posted a win like that. Good stuff from Okon's boys.

Mrs hogged the Foxtel so I missed the first 80 minutes. Sounds like one of the games of the season so far.

2 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Yeah, why can't we attack like that - quick flowing movement with every pass crisp, clean and hitting its mark?

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Mrs hogged the Foxtel so I missed the first 80 minutes. Sounds like one of the games of the season so far.

It was a game that CCM really went at Shitney, countering quickly out wide and catching the smurfs flatfooted. In one respect the smurfs looked like they never turned up but then again CCM didn't let themselves be bossed around. Okon doing wonders. That Tom Hiariej is a good player IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

That VAR is a friggin joke. 

How can belting a ball into a blokes arm (with a high boot) from half a metre away be a penalty? And have play brought back after a minute?

well I've changed the channel, turning football into a joke game.

i thought it was clear, couldn't believe it took the spastics in charge so long to award it 
took forever for the mongs to give us our pen as well