Melbourne Football

R2 Etihad Derby 14 October 7:50pm

jeffplz

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Unchanged for me.

1 basic principle that gets overlooked far too often. Never ever change a winning team unless injury or suspension. 

So although Jakobsen at LB isn't ideal he stays.

Budzinski may be heaps better than Mauk but Mauk has to start.

La Rocca and Muscat are probably lesser players in reworked back four they still deserve to start. 

And Malik after his game must keep out Kilkenny. 

To build a competitive squad based on core values the fundamental of keeping a winning team must be done. Later on, as the squad matures and develops then tactical changes or tweaks can be considered but in a round 2 match in the first season of a new coach for me anything but an unchanged lineup doesn't make sense. 

I hear you, but I'm worried about the tards pace on the flanks. Think we might need Jammo back there to help.

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I hear you, but I'm worried about the tards pace on the flanks. Think we might need Jammo back there to help.

Which is reasonable. All ill say though is that Jako to LB last week was a deliberate ploy by Joyce to stop Skapetis at RW and he was quite quick too. If your full backs are more defensive than attacking, perhaps pace isnt such an issue...

I'm fully on the unchanged train. I think Jovan nails it in his last sentence; set the foundations for a perform and get rewarded culture now and we'll reap the benefits as the season goes on.

• Like 3

In, out, shake it all about.  Ethihad is a rubbish place to watch football.  I'm not even sitting with my own son LOL....he's with all his mates from his club  in 4 busloads and they are in GA.  I've utilised my barcode and let someone else use his.  Unless City Active, I can't be arsed going to Etihad

• Like 1

Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce coy on his squad ahead of derby against Melbourne Victory

Matt Windley

October 13, 2017

MELBOURNE City coach Warren Joyce is still getting used to how things are done in Australia and says Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola or Arsene Wenger wouldn’t be doing some the things he’s had to for the build-up to the derby.

COMING from England, where opposition coaches don’t see eye-to-eye at the best of times, Warren Joyce found Friday’s Melbourne derby build-up a tad strange.

On the 88th floor of the Eureka Tower, side-by-side with Melbourne Victory boss Kevin Muscat for a pre-match press conference and photo opportunity, new City coach Joyce mused that you wouldn’t see the likes of Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola or Arsene Wenger do this.

“To pull the two coaches and players from both teams in the same room before a game, I think you’d find that difficult,” Joyce put it politely.

Joyce will get his first Melbourne derby taste in front of an anticipated crowd of about 40,000 at Etihad Stadium.

Still adapting to the intricacies of coaching in Australia, the former Manchester United youth coach said he took the opportunity to take in Victory’s loss to Sydney FC last weekend as preparation for Saturday night.

Not that his wife was too happy.

“My wife flew in last Friday,” he said.

“So I treated her — after a 24-hour journey — to go and watch Melbourne Victory.

“That’s not the norm, here, either. In England you can drive nearly anywhere to go and watch your opposition, look at them and guess what they’re going to try and do the following week.”

Joyce was guarded about team selection, simply saying Tim Cahill would be “in the squad” after his 120-minute Socceroos outing and that marquee midfielder Marcin Budzinski is “getting a little bit sharper” every day after he started on the bench last week.

But there is a big case to say City will be unchanged.

“You’re talking about consistency and there’s got to be consistency from myself as well,” he said.

“You’re looking for people to train well every day and play well every day, do what they’re asked to do, there’s got to be some reward as well.”

Victory also announced on Friday the signing of Heidelberg United striker Kenny Athiu, a star of his club’s FFA Cup and successful NPL Victoria campaigns.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-coach-warren-joyce-coy-on-his-squad-ahead-of-derby-against-melbourne-victory/news-story/a17f6b4b4d9ab3918c07ec79b37fa945?from=rss-basic

Cahill fit to fire in derby against Victory

Jason Phelan

13 October, 2017

Saturday night's much-anticipated Melbourne A-League derby between Victory and City could provide the next big stage for Tim Cahill to work his magic.

City coach Warren Joyce is confident Cahill has recovered well enough from his Socceroos heroics on Tuesday night to have a major impact against his club's arch-rivals.

Cahill was back training at City's facilities the morning after his two goals against Syria in Sydney put the Socceroos through to the next stage of World Cup qualifying.

The 37-year-old has been named in City's squad for Saturday's Etihad Stadium clash, but Joyce has played his cards close to his chest when asked if he will start.

"I'm not going to go through the team ... it's not professional," Joyce said on Friday.

"(But) it was a tremendous effort to get back as early as he did to prepare properly - it's the sign of a true professional.

"I think he opened the building up ... a quick flight back and he's raring to go.

"It's good for the group."

Victory will also be bolstered by the returns of Socceroos Mark Milligan and James Troisi, and New Zealand international Kosta Barbarouses.

Milligan was on the receiving end of several bruising tackles against Syria and featured for all 120 minutes of the extra-time win.

"We've had to integrate him a little bit differently," Victory coach Kevin Muscat said of Milligan's return to training.

"We're still assessing all their recoveries and especially Millsy because he played 90 minutes in the (first leg against Syria in Malaysia).

"He took a fair few knocks in the first game ... but he won't have any issues - we've just got to make sure that we're doing the right thing by him.

"We'll sleep on that but, at this point in time, they're all putting their hands up to play in what is going to be a massive game."

New Victory signing Matias Sanchez was also named in an extended squad after the Argentine midfielder overcame the hamstring tightness that sidelined him last week.

Victory will look to bounce back after a 1-0 loss to Sydney FC to start their campaign, while Joyce oversaw a 2-0 win over Brisbane in his first A-League game in charge of City.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/37456415/citys-cahill-fit-to-fire-against-victory/

Edited by Murfy1

Melbourne Derby: Warren Joyce looks forward to Victory rivalry but could do without the water cannon

Michael Lynch

13 October, 2017

Melbourne derbies can be daunting affairs for those who have never experienced them before.

Some players handle the prospect of the biggest stage with aplomb: it was hardly a surprise that Tim Cahill, the man who loves the limelight, scored a wonder goal on his debut as he helped power Melbourne City to a 4-1 win over Melbourne Victory in the first of the three derbies last season.

Others can go into their shells or take time to adjust. The tackles always seem to fly in harder, the crowd noise seems to be louder and the pace and intensity of the game is greater.

This time round there are plenty who will be making a Derby debut. Victory's new signing, Rhys Williams, the former Socceroo defender, and its new Dutch forward, Leroy George, are probably the two most prominent names in navy blue lining up for their first taste of the Victory v City rivalry. Argentinian midfielder Matias Sanchez, a veteran of explosive confrontations in Buenos Aires, where so many top Argentine teams are based, may join them.

There will be several in sky blue experiencing the special tensions of a Derby for the first time, including City's new Scottish frontman Ross McCormick.

But as he started his career off with Glasgow Rangers and subsequently played at Leeds and Fulham, he will be well used to the tensions that come with local rivalries. Nowhere in Britain is the tension hotter than in Glasgow, where the Rangers v Celtic fixtures triggers animosity and visceral hatreds that stretch back more than a century, emphasising economic, religious and cultural divisions which have historically separated the two great clubs.

However, one man will go into this game with more riding on his shoulders than any other, and that is City's new English coach, Warren Joyce.

He is the man whose tactical decisions, selections and approach to the game will be scrutinised more than any player because he is a fresh face.

Get it right and mastermind a City win, and his kudos will rise, his place in the affections of City fans be assured and the judgement of the media and critics will be positive.

Get it wrong and Victory fans will make him a figure of fun, City fans will be wondering what else lies in store, and the critics will mark it down as his first failure.

Not that Joyce is the sort to lose too much sleep over it. As pressure cooker situations go, he has been in far hotter kitchens and survived with his equanimity and sense of humour intact.

During a senior playing career which lasted 17 years, the now 52-year-old former midfielder spent two-thirds of that time (12 years) playing for the Lancashire clubs Bolton, Preston and Burnley, where the heat is on every time they meet on a football pitch.

He also experienced on-field tensions in England's west country, during a period at Plymouth late in his playing days, where rivalries with Exeter and the Bristol clubs were heated.

And, of course, he spent eight years at Old Trafford as one of Sir Alex Ferguson's assistants, coaching Manchester United's reserve side.

That was during the latter years of United's domination of the Premier League, but also coincided with the period when the "noisy neighbours" of City, fuelled by first Asian and then Middle Eastern investment, started to catch up with and then overtake United. City have won two of the past five league championships while United foundered under David Moyes and Louis Van Gaal as they struggled to adjust to the post Fergie era.

Derbies between the two clubs – ironically his former and now current employers – were always intense affairs and victory in them is highly prized by Mancunian fans, especially those of City who were able to measure their progress in the most tangible way of all, with a win over the hitherto dominant United.

But it is none of those derbies with which he has been involved – City v United, Burnley v Blackburn (noted as one of the most vicious rivalries in the English game), Bolton v Preston or Plymouth v Exeter – that Joyce rates as the hairiest.

He says his time in Belgium, when he managed United's partner club Royal Antwerp between 2006 and 2008, was the standout where bizarre behaviour and straight out fan vehemence was greatest.

"All those games in England, the atmosphere is always fantastic because the rivalries have been going on for years and everyone in the towns looks forward to those matches in particular. You feel it out on the pitch as a player.

"It's not just the actual derbies within cities either. In the Premier League when I was with United there were games against Liverpool and Leeds that always had an edge too. The geography makes it easier – fans can travel and get to away games. You could drive from Manchester to Leeds in 40 minutes: here it takes that long to get from Bundoora [City's training base] to the city.

"In Belgium though, it was something else. The country is so small you could drive through the best part of it in an hour and the fans all get to away games every time."

The mood was, to put it politely, boisterous, he said.

"It was a genuinely hostile atmosphere at so many of those games – particularly when the fans had been on the strong Belgian beers for hours leading up to it.

"Lots of chanting, shouting, the police would be there with machine guns and the hungriest looking dogs straining at the leash that you have ever seen. The Antwerp fans were probably the noisiest I have ever heard and they wanted results: if you drew 0-0 away from home there would probably be 600 of them in the car park later letting you know how they felt about a result like that.

"You would have police in armoured vehicles with water cannon, I remember one game when there were helicopters buzzing over head after, it was like a war zone.

"I got to know them a bit at Antwerp. There was one bloke involved, Gino, he was a nice fellow when he hadn't had a drink. Him and some of his mates also for some reason used to follow Barnsley in the English Championship too, and sometimes they would hop on a plane and land at Doncaster Airport and go and watch them."

So what is he expecting from his first Melbourne Derby?

"Well, three points is the first thing, but what we also want to do is put on a show for the fans so that our supporters are proud of the players and proud to support this team. That's very important."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-derby-warren-joyce-looks-forward-to-victory-rivalry-but-could-do-without-the-water-cannon-20171012-gz04m5.html

Edited by Murfy1

18 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Geez that's not good- Muscat said they were expecting over 40k, so it'll probably be a pretty one sided derby in the stands lol

Doesn't suprise me. I spent hours trying to get tickets in Bay 20 and l have bar codes. Biggest pain in the arse trying to get tickets at almost every derby at Etihad. I lost patience and just bought GA tickets.

I think I almost hate Derbies - so much more than 3 points at stake.

Random statistic going into the match:  Warren Joyce will be looking to become the first Melbourne City coach to win his first two Hyundai A-League games in charge of the club.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3