Melbourne Football

R2 Etihad Derby 14 October 7:50pm

jeffplz

12 hours ago, Embee said:

I can't understand how it didn't warrant a red after a VAR review to be honest and I'm surprised there hasn't been more scrutiny of the decision.

Clear and unambiguous red. Appalling decision to issue a yellow. Now, of course, it cannot be changed by the match review panel. IMO this is ridiculous. Any tackle from behind that results in serious injury - such as the one that felled Bruno - should be reviewed and retrospective punishment should be possible. As the rules stand, the offending player and club walk away scot free. Not good enough.

Do we have an update on how Malik is?

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Clear and unambiguous red. Appalling decision to issue a yellow. Now, of course, it cannot be changed by the match review panel. IMO this is ridiculous. Any tackle from behind that results in serious injury - such as the one that felled Bruno - should be reviewed and retrospective punishment should be possible. As the rules stand, the offending player and club walk away scot free. Not good enough.

Prob not the popular opinion, but i thought Broxham's tackle was far, far worse. Not to say that i think Williams should have got away with it either though.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 8:45 AM, Shahanga said:

Yes. 2 years ago we were top of the league with 1 match to play. Now that was a (short lived) good feeling.

i for one am not going to overly celebrate a 2 game winning streak 

I remember the game: the peak of the exciting (but ultimately grossly underachieving) Mooy/Novillo/Fornaroli era. Doing the Easter Monday double straight from the MCG, after Geelong had an unexpected win against Hawthorn.

Can't remember who we played, but there was a pre-game helicopter for some reason. We won comfortably and went top of the table. And besides the Elimination Final win, IIRC the entire remainder of the season (pretty sure there were 2-3 matches left of the H&A season) was utter garbage.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If that's not a straight red, I struggle to understand how any tackle can be. It was about as bad as you can get and (obviously) it puts the player at serious risk of a severe injury.

Generally I'm against club people whinging about the referees after the game (e.g. Kilkenny in pretty much any postgame interview last year), but I think this is different. Someone from the club has to come out about that and at least draw some media attention to it, because otherwise it will be quickly forgotten and it's not good enough. 

• Like 2

It was 28th March 2016. Round 25. We beat Wellington 3-0 at home with two to Bruno and one to Novillo, to finish the round on top of the table. We then went to Perth, went 0-3 down before Bruno and then Marc Marino in injury time made the scoreline look respectable at 2-3. We dropped to fourth. In the final round we lost 0-2 at home to Adelaide, and finished fourth.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It was 28th March 2016. Round 25. We beat Wellington 3-0 at home with two to Bruno and one to Novillo, to finish the round on top of the table. We then went to Perth, went 0-3 down before Bruno and then Marc Marino in injury time made the scoreline look respectable at 2-3. We dropped to fourth. In the final round we lost 0-2 at home to Adelaide, and finished fourth.

Yes, the Novillo brain explosion led to an uncompetitive semi. 

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

Prob not the popular opinion, but i thought Broxham's tackle was far, far worse. Not to say that i think Williams should have got away with it either though.

Both were red card offences but I thought Malik's was more clear-cut. I am still pissed off that Williams got away with that. Pathetic refereeing. 

58 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Both were red card offences but I thought Malik's was more clear-cut. I am still pissed off that Williams got away with that. Pathetic refereeing. 

Agree. At first I thought they were just about even but after numerous viewings Williams is considerably worse IMO.

He flew in, missed the ball completely and followed through with a scissor action of the legs, Malik was lucky he didn't break an ankle to be fair. If you watch it again you can see he just flies in without much consideration for where the ball is or winning it, it's just a desperate, out of control lunge.

Tara Rushton said shortly before the tackle that Rhys was considering hanging them up before moving to the Tards, should have done everyone a favour and followed through on that, any player that tackles like that is a straight up hack in my opinion.

• Like 4