Melbourne Football

R2 Etihad Derby 14 October 7:50pm

jeffplz

Great win boys. Long way to go but the foundation has been laid and Joyce has got them playing as he wants them to. Fantastic start to the season.

Sat right next to active. Great effort. First time i didnt hear Stand by Me at a derby. Drowned them out and the library shushing to the NT was gold. 

• Like 1

Scrappy and a little disjointed up front, but very assured and pragmatic at the back bar the solitary Victory goal. Happy with that!

Budzinski still looks quite underdone but that was a cracking finish so credit to him, and I'm sure with more minutes he'll improve.

1 hour ago, Young Polak said:

If it wasn't coming up milhouse for bruce with his deflected goals, im sure he would have been murdered for not passing square to mccormack 

One of the all time great "No...no...NO!! YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!" goals that I can remember.

Great win. Assuming that I wasn't on my own, thinking a draw would be a decent result. Victory's front half looked outstanding on paper and despite the ball being pretty much permanently up there for the second half, the City defence made them look impotent.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SF33 said:

One of the all time great "No...no...NO!! YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!" goals that I can remember.

Great win. Assuming that I wasn't on my own, thinking a draw would be a decent result. Victory's front half looked outstanding on paper and despite the ball being pretty much permanently up there for the second half, the City defence made them look impotent.

All i was doing was yelling at the screen "pass it you fucking retard... oh, fuck alright, sweet"

• Like 1

Match highlights up on Herald Sun website

I thought our defence was fantastic in the first half, but we seemed very nervous at 1-1.  Last 15min were gold though. 

McCormack was less ruthless in front of goal than he should have been.  His final ball was a  little disappointing for me.

Great support ....  Active is the only place to be at Etihad....my son was in level 3 and said the atmosphere was absolutely shit.

more than deserved the win, big team performance v the dirty cunts, should of had 9 out there
very surprised with how la rocca went and even malik was good before the injury
marcin very lucky that miss didn't cost us (imagine the tards if he had of passed it for timmy)

fox sports gave fitzy bog, troisi 2 jako 1 :hmm::hmm::hmm:
would of thought fitzy was our worst, should of torn them apart running at the shitcunt dj on a yellow
fair enough with troisi scoring the winner

Was great to sit in GA surrounded by the scum, with only a few of us around.  How sweet it was when brucey scored, even the scum were saying how shit they were :wub:

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Creatively not great as expected but his work rate was incredible. 

ye, hard as nails and super in the tackle, he got forward a couple of times and totally shanked it haha, thats why you stay back Jako!

Brilliant win, will go down as one my all time favourite Heart/City wins because there was just something so assuring about the way we played. 

Loving our defence now and the likes of Marvin etc just topped it off. 

Sat near active and it was absolutely pumping, didn't stop singing all night. Equally as good as our on field performance. 

Now to continue this against Wellington next week!

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Positives:

We won, breaking a 2 game derby losing run.

Defensively solid, 29% possession by us. Joyce, the HAL Mourinho opted to control space instead of possession and we did a good job of that. Rarely threatened although we sat very deep.

We'll be much harder to break down this season, this was the game plan we tried against the smurfs but executed it more effectively (and against a poorer team)

visit0rs are bottom of the table

Negatives:

Ugly football even though it was effective. The performance couldn't be a starker contrast to the first derby thrashing last season but we all know how that season finished

No organised attacking plan other than "hoof it to Ross". At least he isn't a midget and understands the off-side rule

Ugly tackle on Malik, lucky not to be a red

I'm fitter than Marcin

Poor crowd

35k was decent enough, imo.

42 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I was reserving my judgment until round 6 but on last night's performance we are going to be in the mix come round 27 just remembering what we experienced last season after November but this is a different team different mentality and above all a different style.

I don't want to sound like a prophet of doom but we've all been here before and it's early days...

• Sad 1

Just calling out La Rocca for a couple of very good games for so far. I was fearing his sometime reckless approach might cost us but he's been very controlled and just stuck to his job extremely well. This might be an example of Joyce turning around a player's mental approach and having him focus on what's good for the team - and in turn reaping the rewards. Let's hope so.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 3

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

I get the feeling that wazza isn't the type to balls up Wellington at home. Big game next week, we have to keep this momentum going 

Yes, the 'unlosable' game....

Hopefully, we continue to show the same determination and discipline. If we can win away in Adelaide and at least draw with the smurfs then I'll start to #believe

10 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Just calling out La Rocca for a couple of very good games for so far. I was fearing his sometime reckless approach might cost us but he's been very controlled and just stuck to his job extremely well. This might be an example of Joyce turning around a player's mental approach and having him focus on what's good for the team - and in turn reaping the rewards. Let's hope so.

I was very skeptical about his signing, but after seeing him play. You can totally understand why he was a starter in 2 very good sides before coming to city.

• Like 1