Melbourne Football

R2 Etihad Derby 14 October 7:50pm

jeffplz

9 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

My code worked but I tried to buy 3 Active tickets and it said the amount of tickets exceeded the barcode. Please reduce the amount of tickets or something like hat. WTF? Can only one barcode buy one Active ticket?

Correct.

Active seat: 1 barcode 1 ticket

Nonactive: 1 barcode up to 10 tickets 

18 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Fair enough. Can get 3 barcodes. But geez, looking at the map, are any of our supporters going?? So many tickets left in our bays.

Last season killed off the shine of the derby. It'll still get mostly full but it's definitely lost its uniqueness. 

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just one of a various reasons why some of us don't go.

I switched off the computer and didn't buy the tickets. Was giving me a headache. It finally accepted my barcode but when l try to "unlock" more tickets with a different legitimate barcide l couldn't proceed to buy more. Can understand that it's one barcode per one active ticket but please don't tell me it's one barcode per one ticket per one transaction?

8 hours ago, Tony999 said:

I switched off the computer and didn't buy the tickets. Was giving me a headache. It finally accepted my barcode but when l try to "unlock" more tickets with a different legitimate barcide l couldn't proceed to buy more. Can understand that it's one barcode per one active ticket but please don't tell me it's one barcode per one ticket per one transaction?

I gave up on my first attempt as it seemed to keep asking me for a barcode and I wasn't getting anywhere. When I returned I found it very easy although it is completely non intuitive and unclear. All you need to do is put in your barcode once to "unlock the offer" then you keep adding tickets to the shopping basket. Their software is another one of the many badly written ones around.

11 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Definitely. Doubt it will crack 40k. Looking more like 35k these days.

A-league as whole has lost interest this season.

I'm not sure that we're deep enough into the season to say that, and in any case how is that measured? By attendances? I don't see that it's reasonable to expect that attendances will continue to grow with each passing season unless the product actually improves - hype does not equal quality. With changes to the A-League seemingly stalled by FFA, I can't see any particular reason to expect growth this season.

I still think that A-League attendances are solid when looked at on a global basis. The veiled media criticism of City's attendance on Friday night prompted me to look through the English League 1 and League 2 attendances for the weekend, and if my research was correct we were exceeded by only one - that at Notts County - and some of those attendances were pitifully small compared with ours.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure that we're deep enough into the season to say that, and in any case how is that measured? By attendances? I don't see that it's reasonable to expect that attendances will continue to grow with each passing season unless the product actually improves - hype does not equal quality. With changes to the A-League seemingly stalled by FFA, I can't see any particular reason to expect growth this season.

I still think that A-League attendances are solid when looked at on a global basis. The veiled media criticism of City's attendance on Friday night prompted me to look through the English League 1 and League 2 attendances for the weekend, and if my research was correct we were exceeded by only one - that at Notts County - and some of those attendances were pitifully small compared with ours.

But that's a comparison with Level 3 and 4. The Champions league have an average attendances of 20,000 (which is what Huddersfield and our favourite son attract).

I am not doom and gloom but am certainly in the camp of disappointment of FFA's promotional abilities.

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

But that's a comparison with Level 3 and 4. The Champions league have an average attendances of 20,000 (which is what Huddersfield and our favourite son attract).

I am not doom and gloom but am certainly in the camp of disappointment of FFA's promotional abilities.

Yes, but IMO the A-League is not Championship standard, and further we're dealing here with a relatively minor sport compared with the position football occupies in England. There are some pretty heavy-hitting clubs in the Championship with long traditions - such as Cardiff, Villa, Forest, Leeds, Sunderland, Wolves - who have big supporter bases.

I very much doubt that marketing alone will propel the A-League to dizzying new heights. IMO we have to find a way of getting a total of 16 clubs in there and loosen the shackles on what players we can sign, and I think then we will see spectator numbers grow.

The Aleague should be starting this weekend, having it start last week was too close to end of afl and nrl seasons so there was no hype

And they need to start the season with some big games especially the season opener

Next 2 weeks with both big derbies will help fill the stands 

5 minutes ago, neio said:

The Aleague should be starting this weekend, having it start last week was too close to end of afl and nrl seasons so there was no hype

And they need to start the season with some big games especially the season opener

Its always something though isn't it ? too late, too early. but a big reason is the fact the limited media space football has is preoccupied with the socceroos 

Edited by Chris p

8 minutes ago, neio said:

imo it should start the week after the AFL regular season ends, particularly if the AFL keep persisting with the stupid week off before finals. They're probably going to have to do it anyway once expansion happens so why not, its not like its gonna lose any of the 'clear air' it supposedly was going to get by starting last week.
That way we can honour international breaks as well without losing any time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

imo it should start the week after the AFL regular season ends, particularly if the AFL keep persisting with the stupid week off before finals. They're probably going to have to do it anyway once expansion happens so why not, its not like its gonna lose any of the 'clear air' it supposedly was going to get by starting last week.
That way we can honour international breaks as well without losing any time.

Might also allow  a bit of a summer break from mid Jan to Mid Feb to avoid that time when the heat gets a bit ridiculous 

1 minute ago, Chris p said:

Last time that happened for the Asian cup it completely killed the momentum of the league 

Would much rather that than having to sit in the heat and players playing at half pace because of the weather. I also remember people getting over the perceived lack of momentum once it went through a few games anyway

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Might also allow  a bit of a summer break from mid Jan to Mid Feb to avoid that time when the heat gets a bit ridiculous 

IMO the solution there is rather than have a break, schedule all matches for 8.00 p.m. kick-off local time(s). Yes, I know that not all matches would be televised, or there would be a couple televised at the same time but on different channels, but IMO avoiding the heat (including for the fans travelling to the match and sitting through it) is much preferable to watching half-paced matches with a measurable risk of health risk to the players.

If we do expand the league, either the season has to be extended, or there have to be more mid-week matches, so FFA/TV are going to have to be more flexible anyway, and we might as well get used to that now rather than later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neio said:

Not much bigger games than a GF Big Blue replay.... but hear what you're saying...

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO the solution there is rather than have a break, schedule all matches for 8.00 p.m. kick-off local time(s). Yes, I know that not all matches would be televised, or there would be a couple televised at the same time but on different channels, but IMO avoiding the heat (including for the fans travelling to the match and sitting through it) is much preferable to watching half-paced matches with a measurable risk of health risk to the players.

If we do expand the league, either the season has to be extended, or there have to be more mid-week matches, so FFA/TV are going to have to be more flexible anyway, and we might as well get used to that now rather than later.

Wont somebody think of the Ratings!