Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC Leadership group

Forever City

City confirm leadership Group

Melbourne City FC has finalised a five-player leadership group ahead of the Hyundai A-League season.

Tim Cahill, 37, has been appointed ‘Club captain’ and Michael Jakobsen, 31, team captain, with the defender to wear the armband in City’s season opener against Brisbane Roar this Friday night. Jakobsen represented City at the A-League's season launch on Tuesday morning at Port Melbourne Soccer Club alongside representatives of the other nine A-League clubs.

The group will comprise all-time Socceroos top goal scorer Cahill, Danish centre-back Jakobsen, two-time A-League Championship goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic, defensive midfielder Osama Malik and 21-year-old attacking midfielder Stefan Mauk.

Appointed by Head Coach Warren Joyce, a player from each key on-field positional group – goalkeeper, defence, midfield and attack – has been selected.

“I’m an advocate for having multiple leaders, not just one captain, who can share responsibilities and keep everyone in the team accountable,” Joyce said.

“Each player has been selected as we believe them to be natural leaders. Tim inspires our players in his actions and through his experience; he’s worn the armband for Everton and for his country at the highest level and we expect him to continue to represent City with great passion to motivate our players.

“Eugene’s achieved everything there is to achieve in Australian domestic football and his resume speaks for itself. He’s a great character who lifts everyone around him, but also provides expert tuition to our other young defensive players.

“In Michael we have a player with ingrained leadership qualities, Osama is a fantastic character and player we see great potential in developing, while Stef is an intelligent player, who, even though still young, has matured through his recent experience in Europe.”

Bruno Fornaroli, captain last season, will be involved in the group upon his return to the first team.

“Bruno’s will no doubt play a part in this group at some point during the season, but his sole focus now is on working with our medical team on his rehabilitation.”

Malik ffs

Edited by Forever City
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Interesting read and seeing some explanations for what we have seen pre season.

How will Malik take to Kilkennys instruction on field? Too many leaders, too little leadership.

Was a bit surprised that Kilkenny wasn't chosen to be in the leadership group. 

Edited by Forever City

Wow Malik, and Mauk, Bruno left out all together? Malik starting XI every week then. I think Mauk is more of a "Youth Leader" for the younger guys in the group, still has to win me over after the stuff he pulled 2 seasons ago.

@Dylan release your frustration  at this news

Edited by haz

6 minutes ago, rass said:

A/ He's too confrontational

B/ He's too emotional and loses his cool too quickly. E.g. he can't just let on field incidents go.

Nah Wazza has just picked a bunch of yes men because he is too piss weak to have someone in there who might actually tell him something he doesn’t want to hear.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Nah Wazza has just picked a bunch of yes men because he is too piss weak to have someone in there who might actually tell him something he doesn’t want to hear.

Maybe because players are meant to play and take direction from the manager rather than think they are coaches. 

Good selection, IMO, apart from Mauk who still needs to prove he is a team player. Time will tell

4 hours ago, neio said:

What the hell is mauk doing in there? He isn't even our player

I'm also surprised that cahill is captain 

I would say that we're thinking of making Mauk a City player once again when his contract with NEC Nijmegen expires. Transfermarkt says that his loan to us contains a buying option.

The club had to do something with Cahill. Many of the players at the club have a great respect for him, as do a great many of the football fans in this country - deservedly so. Also, he's too active on social media to ignore, and is fond of referring to "my players" when talking about City. Being "Club Captain" enables him to continue to be a figurehead and club representative without taking anything away from the captain on the field. It's a good move IMO.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

When has he said that?

I can't give you every one of the actual occurrences but I can assure you that I have seen it or heard it several times.

Here's one: https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/tim-cahill-says-hed-never-experienced-a-prematch-faceoff-before-his-first-melbourne-derby/news-story/17529e0887f884a0057981e3871468a1

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, neio said:

Excuse my ignorance on this one, but what is the difference between club and team captain

Club Captain is the "Changing Room Captain"

Team Captain is the "Pitch Captain"

The reason why Cahill is not both, or just "Captain" is because he won't be on the field as much as Jakobsen

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The leadership group was absolute rubbish. When jakobsen missed games we gave the armband to Vidosic and then jamo. When malik and mauk played 

Jamieson would have to be leading contender at moment as he was captain in finals. Bart would probably be a chance, apart from that I can't see anyone else getting it that is currently at club