Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

He clearly has a problem with timekeeping, or organisation, or something.  I keep coming back to something fundamental, like is the guy suffering from depression (and anybody who has met the black dog knows I'm not putting that out there lightly).  He's fundamentally a talented footballer who is clearly struggling, and my sense is that it's in his head.  And let's not forget that whilst he butchered several chances last week, he was at least in the right place to butcher them, and he cracked in a seriously high pressure penalty.  I'm far from writing him off yet, and at least he isn't sooking on prime time media about how he isn't the centre of the freaking football universe... 

59 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Hes a lazy cunt who not any good at what he does.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Seriously? Have you ever struggled at anything? When you do, it might be instructive to meet someone with the attitudes you've expressed and see how much it helps you.

6 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

He clearly has a problem with timekeeping, or organisation, or something.  I keep coming back to something fundamental, like is the guy suffering from depression (and anybody who has met the black dog knows I'm not putting that out there lightly).  He's fundamentally a talented footballer who is clearly struggling, and my sense is that it's in his head.  And let's not forget that whilst he butchered several chances last week, he was at least in the right place to butcher them, and he cracked in a seriously high pressure penalty.  I'm far from writing him off yet, and at least he isn't sooking on prime time media about how he isn't the centre of the freaking football universe... 

Seriously? Have you ever struggled at anything? When you do, it might be instructive to meet someone with the attitudes you've expressed and see how much it helps you.

It's a stretch I know, but just based off of his body language and the way he comes across in interviews it wouldn't surprise me if there's something to this.

4 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Is the guy struggling? Yes. He has the ability and we've seen through 2 beautiful free kicks that he can play however, at this point in time he is struggling to score in open play. The fact now that it has been noted that he hasn't rocked up to training is just starting to show to me that he is beginning to get lazy. To say that hes suffering depression or anything of that nature, their is just not enough evidence to support that. I'm sure he has a mental block in front of goal atm, but missing training is really just unacceptable (barring an emergency). Has Bruno or timmy ever missed a training session? This guy has a history of doing the same thing when he was playing in England, and looking at the shape of him, I just see a lazy footballer throwing away all his promising career.

I'm being harsh but nothing pisses me off more then a promising footballer throwing it all away. Their is enough resources at the club now that if he is struggling mentally, he could reach out and find help for his mental condition if he has one.

• Like 1

This depression narrative is fake news. He may be sad and wishing for success but it's far from clinical depression. Depression gets thrown around way too easy today and that's why there are so many people falsely diagnosed and medicated causing a downward spiral in their lives.

Most psychiatrist and psychologists follow theories of bullshit, over analysis and self absorbed in grandeur and line their pockets as a result.

The guy is pissed off that he can't score for fun in a shit league and so he should be, he needs to get off his arse and work himself back into form.

51 minutes ago, playmaker said:

This depression narrative is fake news. He may be sad and wishing for success but it's far from clinical depression. Depression gets thrown around way too easy today and that's why there are so many people falsely diagnosed and medicated causing a downward spiral in their lives.

Most psychiatrist and psychologists follow theories of bullshit, over analysis and self absorbed in grandeur and line their pockets as a result.

The guy is pissed off that he can't score for fun in a shit league and so he should be, he needs to get off his arse and work himself back into form.

Thanks for your proffessional advice dr playmaker. 

I fucking glad I've never been in a position to be treated by you.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Is the guy struggling? Yes. He has the ability and we've seen through 2 beautiful free kicks that he can play however, at this point in time he is struggling to score in open play. The fact now that it has been noted that he hasn't rocked up to training is just starting to show to me that he is beginning to get lazy. To say that hes suffering depression or anything of that nature, their is just not enough evidence to support that. I'm sure he has a mental block in front of goal atm, but missing training is really just unacceptable (barring an emergency). Has Bruno or timmy ever missed a training session? This guy has a history of doing the same thing when he was playing in England, and looking at the shape of him, I just see a lazy footballer throwing away all his promising career.

I'm being harsh but nothing pisses me off more then a promising footballer throwing it all away. Their is enough resources at the club now that if he is struggling mentally, he could reach out and find help for his mental condition if he has one.

We seem to be prepared to offer struggling players like McCormack a lifeline, but whether we're any good at it is another matter. Harry N. was another one. Just on the face of it I thought we could have given him a bit more time to settle himself down. But of course, we probably see only the tip of the iceberg, and we don't really know the full extent of what goes on.

There are plenty of others who throw a promising career/life away - not just footballers - despite all our efforts we don't seem to be able to save them from themselves.

11 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Has he actually missed training? 

We need some perspective with Ross. Truth is he’s been ok (he’s missed chances yes but he’s scored two goals no one else in the league would have) its just that we all expected and the team needs more.

i don’t think it’s right to call him promising though. He’s on a short term contract and even if he wasn’t he’s over 30. His best days are behind him.

15 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Where is all this depression talk coming from? Can someone please direct me to an interview, video etc. 

None.

Just speculation that has originated from body language and performances. Then this original posed question when isolation is neither here nor there but has been followed up by some regular idiotic theories from some that should remain nameless to a full blown clinical diagnosis. 

23 minutes ago, Jovan said:

None.

Just speculation that has originated from body language and performances. Then this original posed question when isolation is neither here nor there but has been followed up by some regular idiotic theories from some that should remain nameless to a full blown clinical diagnosis. 

Don't let the truth get in the way of your delusion.

In context to the discussion my comments are very relevant and backed up by many professional studies on the topic. It may not be convenient or related to your experience but I am not talking about you.

So drop it, or even better educate yourself on the subject.

50 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Where is all this depression talk coming from? Can someone please direct me to an interview, video etc. 

Yeah it's all fake, I am sick of this bullshit continually coming up when someone goes through a challenging period in their lives.

I say let's all give antidepressants to all people when things don't go their way.

To give an example of current state of the big Pharma sponsored psychiatric/ psychology industry this is critique on their current bible,

According to critics, the new edition of the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) diagnostic "bible" – the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM) -- will label healthy people with a mental condition and make them prime candidates for unnecessary prescriptions of mind-altering antidepressant and antipsychotic drugs

Virtually none of the mental disorders described in the DSM can be objectively measured by empirical tests; instead, they're completely subjective

By turning normal emotions and difficult life circumstances into “illnesses” the DSM-5 has resulted in the rampant over-medicalization and over-diagnosis of mental illnesses within the psychiatric profession

Quite disgraceful tbh.

8 games in, 7 played. Big enough sample size. Can someone enlighten me on what Mccormack actually does apart from hit a good free kick?

It's time to start cahill cause its clearly not working with Ross starting, and although he is our leading scorer I can't wait for Bruno to be back

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, neio said:

8 games in, 7 played. Big enough sample size. Can someone enlighten me on what Mccormack actually does apart from hit a good free kick?

It's time to start cahill cause its clearly not working with Ross starting, and although he is our leading scorer I can't wait for Bruno to be back

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

He was misplacing passes all over the place and his first touch is horrible. If Cahill doesnt start next week then its clear this line peddled by Wazza that positions in the IX are gained by merit is a load of crap

Please enlighten me as to what Cahill actually does for us this season? He has been utter crap so far in his limited minutes, and I cannot see how he can possibly justify being a starter.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Please enlighten me as to what Cahill actually does for us this season? He has been utter crap so far in his limited minutes, and I cannot see how he can possibly justify being a starter.

So how do you justify Ross keeping his spot?

If you want to rely on the odd set piece for him to take to win us games then good luck to you,  but that is a dumb reason to keep an underperforming player in the IX

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

So how do you justify Ross keeping his spot?

If you want to rely on the odd set piece for him to take to win us games then good luck to you,  but that is a dumb reason to keep an underperforming player in the IX

I saw nothing wrong with McCormack last night. He worked hard and scored a good goal. What I saw was a stupid line-up from Joyce, because Ross was always going to get no service whatsoever from Brattan (invisible in the first half) or Kamau who can't stand up or cross the ball for toffee. How can anyone score when the defence and midfield move the ball forward at a snail's pace? You can play Cahill if you want, but in the same set-up as Ross IMO he's going to be no more effective - and probably less so because of age etc.

We have a star-studded squad. What's wrong is the way we play.

• Like 2

I dont understand the bloke trying to make runs in behind as if he's gonna run onto it and beat his opponent! He is massively out of form and has no confidence, he doesnt link up nicely with anyone in the team. He continually plays his game hoping that the others will change the way they play to suit him. I really think we should be giving one of the young blokes a crack for a couple of games. I wouldnt mind seeing how JVS would go with this team.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I saw nothing wrong with McCormack last night. He worked hard and scored a good goal. What I saw was a stupid line-up from Joyce, because Ross was always going to get no service whatsoever from Brattan (invisible in the first half) or Kamau who can't stand up or cross the ball for toffee. How can anyone score when the defence and midfield move the ball forward at a snail's pace? You can play Cahill if you want, but in the same set-up as Ross IMO he's going to be no more effective - and probably less so because of age etc.

Exactly.

I have been saying since our practice games that we play too wide and rely heavily on foot speed.

We need to come in narrow to draw the CBs out of position to create space with passing. However to do this we can't have players like Malik and Kamau, but rather Carusca and Kilkenny.

That's the way we need to serve a player like Ross.

I have not elaborated but you get my point I hope.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I actually don't mind him and really think with a proper midfield and service, he'll be a lot more involved. Contrary to what others think, he has great touch and control. 

It comes back to that midfield. Mauk isn't the creator and if Budzinski doesn't get his act together soon, I'd send him home, keep Ross and play Tuna just behind him. Something different but it would really change the way we play.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well I can definitely agree with that last part

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, rayv36 said:

But he’s only NPL level according to some on here ...

Guilty :ph34r:

It was frustrating when he missed sitters in open play, hopefully his last goal will open the flood gates

Edited by haz

Tbf he was dreadful in that WSW game and i thought it might end up being one of those games that ruins your confidence and career at a club given the amount of sitters he missed. To his credit he's kept on keeping on and as you said, hopefully that opens the floodgates somewhat. He's joint leading the golden boot though so its hardly as if he's been struggling.

9 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

But he’s only NPL level according to some on here ...

The problem on here is that all opinions are either end of the spectrum. 

He is either an NPL list clogger or a £20million superstar. 

Some of his chances he butchered in previous rounds were pretty bad and made you wonder, but stepping and nailing pens and ripping some fairly impressive frees takes quality and nerve. 

So for me Ross has been good but not great and has been gradually improving.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The problem on here is that all opinions are either end of the spectrum. 

He is either an NPL list clogger or a £20million superstar. 

Some of his chances he butchered in previous rounds were pretty bad and made you wonder, but stepping and nailing pens and ripping some fairly impressive frees takes quality and nerve. 

So for me Ross has been good but not great and has been gradually improving.  

Well put. I hope he gets the chance to play with Bruno, I'm convinced they'll complement each other really well.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Well put. I hope he gets the chance to play with Bruno, I'm convinced they'll complement each other really well.

Agree with this, the little lay offs and flicks Ross makes will compliment him well. I just hope Brattan gets even better or Mooy gets homesick and comes back under the cap. We need constant balls to both Bruno and Ross when they play

No point sacrificing a visa spot on this bloke. 

If the plan was to move Fernando on for this bloke once Bruno gets fit then it's just dumb.

He can score from frees but missing that one last night has done it for me. It wasn't a great save and for any player at this level must score.

Could of been his last game for us. I had huge expectations but on the balance of things he hasn't lived up to those expectations.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

No point sacrificing a visa spot on this bloke. 

If the plan was to move Fernando on for this bloke once Bruno gets fit then it's just dumb.

He can score from frees but missing that one last night has done it for me. It wasn't a great save and for any player at this level must score.

Could of been his last game for us. I had huge expectations but on the balance of things he hasn't lived up to those expectations.  

I see him as serviceable, nothing more or less. His pen taking is good, but hardly unique. Personally I’d back fat boy slim in on them as well. His free kicks though are world class.

Given all that I’m ambivalent about keeping him.

i would presume since his last move came with a £10m transfer fee he would be on serious coin. If you kept him it would be as a marquee only, so City would need to pay out Budweiser.

Edited by Shahanga