Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

12 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So can you tell me when Bruno and Ross have played together? We have no proof.

Edited 3 hours ago by haz

I implied the type of players that they are and how their differences compliment each other. And yes, when you have seen a lot of football through the years then you will know what is more likely to work and what doesn't.

If you don't agree that's fine.

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I implied the type of players that they are and how their differences compliment each other. And yes, when you have seen a lot of football through the years then you will know what is more likely to work and what doesn't.

If you don't agree that's fine.

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Why are you quoting something I never said. It just further confuses an already confusing argument. 

37 minutes ago, Jovan said:

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Why are you quoting something I never said. It just further confuses an already confusing argument. 

Weird, and Haz edited it. The world has gone mad.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

We all know there is zero chance of that.

Several weeks ago ( probably 4 or 5) a few on here were bemoaning that we hadn't started pre season yet and that some other teams were way ahead of us.

Then after a few new signings by other teams the mood changed to, we don't have enough players and that we are running out of time.

Then after a paticular club signed a once great player on the verge of retirement the mood swung to us lacking ambition and not willing to spend on players. 

Now after announcing an attacking visa midfielder that many were saying we needed badly the mood has changed to that we have too many midfielders. 

Now after a bullshit story that has very little chance of getting up has wound up several key suspects.

The season kicks off in 7, yes 7 weeks. We basically have 2 starting players to announce. That being a keeper and a Marquee 

So can a bit of perspective be used and just relax and wait.

I'm fully confident we will start the season with a full list.

I'm not confident the same list will finish the season though, but hey you cant have everything. 

Where would you put it all.

Well said!

• Like 1

Wazza would never play 2 up top. He very rarely played an out and out #10 who had the freedom to bludge a bid defensively. Wazza likes getting bodies behind the ball and limiting the space in our defensive half. As much as Ross and Bruno could be great together it's completely against everything Wazza has built and a number of the squad would need to be moved on as they'd be redundant in a switch of formation.

• Like 3

Fuck it, I'm all in on Ross. Bring that fat Scottish bastard back. I don't give a fuck about a marquee midfielder or whatever, just give me the set-piece god and let me drown myself in scotch and haggis after every glorious thunderbastard around the wall and into the onion bag.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, citypool said:

Why do we care what other teams do here? Shows deep down we don’t have much trust in Joyce and cfg if we’re so arsed up about This 

Probably because we have to play them and we do actually want City to win the league even if it is only once in our lifetimes...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, citypool said:

Fair enough I don’t think we need Ross but we need a back up striker for Bruno. I’d rather get a cb to partner Bart 

IMO Dario is capable there and O'Halloran has played there before as a fill in. Najjar looks worthy of a crack to if it came to it. 
A defender, and perhaps a higher class winger are def priorities over a back up striker imo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IMO Dario is capable there and O'Halloran has played there before as a fill in. Najjar looks worthy of a crack to if it came to it. 
A defender, and perhaps a higher class winger are def priorities over a back up striker imo.

We have 5 already Wales, O’Halloran, Florin Berenguer can play there  Ramy Najjarine and Vidosic 

thats not a high priority heaps of cover there.

Absolutely no cover for CF !

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

We have 5 already Wales, O’Halloran, Florin Berenguer can play there  Ramy Najjarine and Vidosic 

Vidosic is more than capable of providing cover at CF.

Sydney's CF cover was Simon last season (lol), Victory's was Atihu (again, lol), I don't think Newcastle even had one, they just shifted one of the wide guys into the centre. If you want to argue we should be getting another striker to play in a 4-4-2 that's one thing, but chucking the toys out of the pram because we don't have high level CF backup is stupid, it's not worth wasting one of your limited squad spots in this league

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Yep and I think Ross is more than capable of dropping deep and a second striker/CAM as he is deadly from outside the box, a very creative passer of the ball, finds space and has strength on the ball.

Very hard to defend against both at the same time at this level.

34 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Well i just gave you the three players that can cover there, and if you want to sign a 2nd CF to sit on the bench, well noone is going to want to come here on peanuts to wait for Bruno to get injured.

IMO we don't have a ball carrying, goal-scoring winger in the mould of Novillo or Leroy George or even Diego Castro, and that's what I personally think our team could really benefit from attack wise. The wingers as per above all have their own strengths and attributes, but i dont think anyone in their right mind thinks they are genuine ball players.

IMO the ideal forward three consists of a striker in Bruno's mould, a winger in George's mould, and then a pacy winger a la O'Halloran to clean up at the back post. 

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/mariners-showing-interest-in-bringing-former-melbourne-city-striker-ross-mccormack-to-gosford/news-story/4c2e9b2e5c2f7524d9c8f722d9e1ffc2

“But while they still have two vacant marquee spots to fill, the club has indicated any agreement would likely fall under the salary cap.”

How can they fit Ross in the salary cap ? It defies belief

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/mariners-showing-interest-in-bringing-former-melbourne-city-striker-ross-mccormack-to-gosford/news-story/4c2e9b2e5c2f7524d9c8f722d9e1ffc2

“But while they still have two vacant marquee spots to fill, the club has indicated any agreement would likely fall under the salary cap.”

How can they fit Ross in the salary cap ? It defies belief

If he was able to be under the cap he would have played with us all last season.

Edited by Missing_Moy

1 hour ago, haz said:

I'm increasingly of the view that Steve Bruce doesn't know his arse from his elbow. And RMC wasn't "allowed to leave". We wanted to keep him. Villa buggered it up deliberately, seemingly in a fit of pique. 

Edited by fensaddler

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I think if I were them I'd be trying to win free kicks around the box. 

They'll need to be in attacking positions to make that happen.

Ross will bag a few, but I wouldn't be predicting more than 1 goal per 2-3 games

Edited by haz

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt Ross is a very good player, but I am on the fence about if we should have chased him as our 2nd marquee. The reason being is that I am unsure if he and Bruno would have played well together (we have no proof they would).

But if De Laet plays random positions like LW/RW or CDM during the season without much contribution then I would be quite annoyed with Waz for what seems to be a "mates" signing.

It will seem strange to see Ross playing for another club, but I don't think it makes sense to have both your marquees competing for the same position. As for the season ahead - we have recruited quite well, but whether well enough to be a genuine title contender only the season itself will provide the answer. Exiting the FFA Cup was not a good omen.

• Like 1