Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Spot on. 

We have no other genuine forward in our team.

Doubling up is a must for any position, also gives you flexibility to play 442 as well.

Geez I wonder if Guardiala has issues with both Aquero and Jesus on his list.

Not a valid comparison. Guardiola isn't working with salary and numbers cap limitations, visa player limitations, marquee limitations...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not a valid comparison. Guardiola isn't working with salary and numbers cap limitations, visa player limitations, marquee limitations...

Bruno and Ross will out of the cap of course. Honestly guys I can’t believe we are making excuses not having a player Ross back on our list. We have 99 midfielders and unless we sign proper quality marquee centre back I would welcome a player like Ross back anytime. Besides Vidosic nobody can play centre forward.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

marquee limitations...

Only limited by the club, not the league.

If we lift our membership to 16000 then it's paid for and then some with all the spin off's that come with that.

Let's crush Victory and win titles for the next 2 years and see where our membership numbers are at, can we? 

The long term vision of this club is baffling tbh.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

The excuse making for not signing a genuine marquee like Ross is laughable. His outside the cap and is a player we desperately are crying out for and need we have a glut of midfielders and wingers what we need is another CF to provide more potency other than Bruno.

If a small club like the mariners can afford him so can we and it will give the big injection to the supporters in the off season like Honda did for victory and provide genuine excitement around the fan base who all would love him to return. 

Him and Bruno up front with our midfield and defence with Birighitti coming in would give us our best ever tilt at the premiers plate and GF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

They are different players JW, what one lacks the other has, they would compliment each other perfectly. 

This is the type of combination that great teams are set up around because the match winning potential doesn't get any better than this.

Anyway it's all  rumour at this point, let's wait and see

They've never played together. How do we know that they would compliment each other perfectly. ?

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Bruno and Ross will out of the cap of course. Honestly guys I can’t believe we are making excuses not having a player Ross back on our list. We have 99 midfielders and unless we sign proper quality marquee centre back I would welcome a player like Ross back anytime. Besides Vidosic nobody can play centre forward.

We also have Malik and Delbridge as our options for a 2nd CB...

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

If a small club like the Mariners can afford him so can we

There is no way Mariners can afford his wages

Edited by haz

31 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

They still have to be paid. Honestly, some of you have forgotten what Marwood said - over the next three years there will be a focus on return on investment. Yes I know that Mansour/CFG have to us what are for all intents and purposes unlimited funds, but they are trying to run a business whether we like it or not. Contrary to what a lot of people think, Melbourne City does not have unlimited funds at its disposal.

34 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Only limited by the club, not the league.

There are only two marquee places available, plus possibly a full-season guest marquee - FFA still have funds available for one I believe - but McCormack would not qualify as the latter because he does not have the necessary profile.

None of us know the state of our cap budget, but arguing this as an either/or is likely to be unnecessary. Ross is the cherry on the cake, and would certainly be a marquee. What remains to fill then is a CB, probably a visa, and a keeper, probably Birighitti. I can't see us signing a visa CB, not least because it isn't necessary, and Bort's nose would probably be out of joint because he's as close as the league has to being a marquee quality central defender anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yep, we are doubling up everywhere except a centre forward. 

Compare the quality of the players who can fill in at ST to the players who can fill in the 2nd CB spot.

Clean sheets guarantee you at least a point, scoring goals doesnt.

24 minutes ago, haz said:

They've never played together. How do we know that they would compliment each other perfectly. ?

Historical fact tells me it does, that's why.

6 minutes ago, haz said:

Clean sheets guarantee you at least a point, scoring goals doesnt.

That worked in the 80s when it was 2 points for a win. Doesn't now though.

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Historical fact tells me it does, that's why.

That worked in the 80s when it was 2 points for a win. Doesn't now though.

1. So can you tell me when Bruno and Ross have played together? We have no proof.

2. 15/16 didnt seem to work for us

Edited by haz

14 minutes ago, haz said:

Compare the quality of the players who can fill in at ST to the players who can fill in the 2nd CB spot.

I hope you aren’t referring to Delbridge and Malik being guaranteed clean sheets fill ins.

12 minutes ago, haz said:

15/16 was fun, but in the end, we all ended up very disappointed.

I know a fair few people who really enjoyed those times, Mooy, Bruno and Novillo - some of them we have lost because we aren’t entertaining enough, these guys came to the ground for goals and sexy football.

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I hope you aren’t referring to Delbridge and Malik being guaranteed clean sheets fill ins.

I know a fair few people who really enjoyed those times, Mooy, Bruno and Novillo - some of them we have lost because we aren’t entertaining enough, these guys came to the ground for goals and sexy football.

1. Haha, no way, I'm in the marquee CB camp!

2. This forum is split, some want to win trophies (me) and be better than Victory, while others just want to play entertaining football. Make up your minds!

2 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Haz Logic: score goals = have crap season.

Your sample size of 1 season is not enough to write off Ross being effective here (again).

How has Sydney done so well last season?.... A balanced defence and forward line

2 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Your sample size of 1 season is not enough to write off Ross being effective here (again).

Also btw that's a sample size of 1 too

26 minutes ago, haz said:

1. Haha, no way, I'm in the marquee CB camp!

2. This forum is split, some want to win trophies (me) and be better than Victory, while others just want to play entertaining football. Make up your minds!

We don't need a marquee CB, just a visa like Bort or Jakobsen. That leaves a marquee vacant. The issue is whether CFG think its worth their money using this marquee spot for Ross. I suspect they don't, though I would love to be proved wrong. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

The same Sydney that scored 23 more goals than us last year?

It's you talking about 15/16, not me.

38 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Haz Logic: score goals = have crap season.

I think that if City could just give us a little more insight into how they hope/intend to complete the squad - a little bit more as Merrick has done for Newcastle fans - it might be better for how supporters and potential supporters feel about the club and its intentions. I'm not suggesting actual names or price tags or anything like that, but we really have no ideas whatsoever, and in the absence of information rumours and opinions take over and run riot. IMO our PR is rather formal and stilted, and there's not a sense of warmth in the relationship between club and fans.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Hardly a sample size of 1 saying McCormack would still be a good choice here. If you need reminding of his record, aside from his 14 goals in 17 A-League games, Ross McCormack has 120 Championship goals from 300 odd games.

Youre using a still using an example from one season in the HAL, no different to me

1 minute ago, illeatyourheart said:

So you need me to list every time a side has had success with two up front? Or what?

Ugh im wasting my time now.

In your original comment, you accused me of using a sample size of one season. Which yes, you are correct. But in the same comment, you also used 1 sample size of a season too by saying that 'not enough to write off Ross being effective here (again)'. It's no different.

You can write all you want about teams that do well with 2 up front, but there is no evidence or data on Bruno and Ross playing together. It's a pure unknown.

You could make a long list of teams that do well with 2 strikers, and I could write a long list of teams that score heaps of goals but don't perform over an entire season due to a bad defence. But we are both wasting our time because it is not applicable to our squad and the players we have/had.

In statistics, you have to have an appropriate 'data pool' to be able to accurately publish results. It's the same scenarios if you're trying to use US gun data for gun crimes in Australia, or trying to predict yearly rainfall levels in Melbourne using the previous year's average from the entire state of Victoria. Yes, you can do both these things, but your result/conclusion(s) will not be accurate at all.

• Like 2

On 01/09/2018 at 0:30 PM, Inchcolm said:

I do not mean to dampen your enthusiasm but the emoji at the end the heart means he loves the idea the face means there is a problem. And I would bet it is money orientated. This is a big disappointed face

Image result for emoji copy and paste yellow disappointed face

Going back to this earlier post he said their was a problem in him coming back. Could the problem be more than finance? May be the staff do not want him or he does not want play for us? There was report that Joyce suspended him for a game. I do not know anything about the suspension so I could be barking up the wrong tree. Just trying to look it at from a different angle. I suppose the problem could pretty much any thing even some kind of a link with Ross and their Scottish assistant manager.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think that if City could just give us a little more insight into how they hope/intend to complete the squad - a little bit more as Merrick has done for Newcastle fans - it might be better for how supporters and potential supporters feel about the club and its intentions. I'm not suggesting actual names or price tags or anything like that, but we really have no ideas whatsoever, and in the absence of information rumours and opinions take over and run riot. IMO our PR is rather formal and stilted, and there's not a sense of warmth in the relationship between club and fans.

We all know there is zero chance of that.

Several weeks ago ( probably 4 or 5) a few on here were bemoaning that we hadn't started pre season yet and that some other teams were way ahead of us.

Then after a few new signings by other teams the mood changed to, we don't have enough players and that we are running out of time.

Then after a paticular club signed a once great player on the verge of retirement the mood swung to us lacking ambition and not willing to spend on players. 

Now after announcing an attacking visa midfielder that many were saying we needed badly the mood has changed to that we have too many midfielders. 

Now after a bullshit story that has very little chance of getting up has wound up several key suspects.

The season kicks off in 7, yes 7 weeks. We basically have 2 starting players to announce. That being a keeper and a Marquee 

So can a bit of perspective be used and just relax and wait.

I'm fully confident we will start the season with a full list.

I'm not confident the same list will finish the season though, but hey you cant have everything. 

Where would you put it all.

• Like 3