Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

Looks like what I suspected. The club did all the gymnastics to sort out the A League rules (presumably this was creating space to bring Bud under the cap, thus Ross could be the #2nd  marquee), but couldn’t get Villa to agree on an acceptable price. In part Ross’s form may have been part of the problem, it reinstated his value seemingly moving him out of City’s price range.

Anyway I’ll join everyone in thanking Ross for his contribution. I think it was a success for both parties, as when he arrived he was covered in rust, but by the time he left he looked sharp.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Looks like what I suspected. The club did all the gymnastics to sort out the A League rules (presumably this was creating space to bring Bud under the cap, thus Ross could be the #2nd  marquee), but couldn’t get Villa to agree on an acceptable price. In part Ross’s form may have been part of the problem, it reinstated his value seemingly moving him out of City’s price range.

Anyway I’ll join everyone in thanking Ross for his contribution. I think it was a success for both parties, as when he arrived he was covered in rust, but by the time he left he looked sharp.

The part that I find anmoying is that I don't think he had fully hit his stride and that all parties would have benifitted from extending the loan.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AntiScum said:

word has it he could be back just before the finals as a "guest" player. He has qualified.

I'm going to call this "garbage." There is no point in bringing a player back for 4-5 matches right at the tail-end of the season after nearly two months inactivity. If he was coming back as a guest he would be back already, or at least very shortly.

33 minutes ago, haz said:

11th Feb - Villa vs Birmingham: Not selected

(yes I know he is getting 'rested' for a number of weeks)

I don't think you need to bother. My interpretation of the manager's comment "two weeks off" was that Ross isn't even training at the moment.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think you need to bother. My interpretation of the manager's comment "two weeks off" was that Ross isn't even training at the moment.

Just want to be consistent and also fuel my anger when I make a list of 3 months worth of games with Ross not appearing in any

9 hours ago, haz said:

Yep of course, but that just strengthens the argument of how come they decided to keep him and not let him finish the season with us?

The answer to that is that the "Lampard Rule" includes a stipulation that any loan fee paid by an A-League club to the loaning club is deemed to be part of the total monies to be included in salaries - i.e. it must be included in salary cap calculations. The original loan of McCormack was as an injury replacement for Bruno, a marquee player, so for that loan the loan fee was outside the cap. However, the renewed loan was to be simply for a visa player, and the amount Aston Villa were asking would have taken us over the cap. Despite negotiations Aston Villa would not reduce their loan fee demand. Hence the deal fell through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

The answer to that is that the "Lampard Rule" includes a stipulation that any loan fee paid by an A-League club to the loaning club is deemed to be part of the total monies to be included in salaries - i.e. it must be included in salary cap calculations. The original loan of McCormack was as an injury replacement for Bruno, a marquee player, so for that loan the loan fee was outside the cap. However, the renewed loan was to be simply for a visa player, and the amount Aston Villa were asking would have taken us over the cap. Despite negotiations Aston Villa would not reduce their loan fee demand. Hence the deal fell through.

Surely they had enough funds to move Bud into the cap and make Ross a marquee for the remainder of the season; if the rules allow that is.

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Surely they had enough funds to move Bud into the cap and make Ross a marquee for the remainder of the season; if the rules allow that is.

IIRC the loan fee required was $400,000, the same as the rumoured salary for Budzinski. There simply wasn't $400,000 to play with inside the cap. But it's all speculation - we don't and never will know the precise details.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC the loan fee required was $400,000, the same as the rumoured salary for Budzinski. There simply wasn't $400,000 to play with inside the cap. But it's all speculation - we don't and never will know the precise details.

If Loan fees are still within the cap now that teams have to allocate the player's full salary then this is another superb move from the FFA :rolleyes:

Surely loan fees should be treated as transfer fees and as such have no impact on the cap at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Embee said:

If Loan fees are still within the cap now that teams have to allocate the player's full salary then this is another superb move from the FFA :rolleyes:

Surely loan fees should be treated as transfer fees and as such have no impact on the cap at all.

@Embee I think I made a post earlier about this, perhaps in this thread, perhaps in another. It is part of the Lampard Rule. It was introduced because one loanee club in particular paid a loan fee to a loaning club, and then that loan fee was used to pay all or part of the player's wages whilst with the loanee(A-League) club. So apparently the rule states that unless the loanee club can prove that the loan fee won't be used for this purpose, the loan fee must be included in the salary cap.

If someone can find all these rules listed out then they're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee I think I made a post earlier about this, perhaps in this thread, perhaps in another. It is part of the Lampard Rule. It was introduced because one loanee club in particular paid a loan fee to a loaning club, and then that loan fee was used to pay all or part of the player's wages whilst with the loanee(A-League) club. So apparently the rule states that unless the loanee club can prove that the loan fee won't be used for this purpose, the loan fee must be included in the salary cap.

If someone can find all these rules listed out then they're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Ah ok, must've missed that one.

Still stupid really, as we don't actually NEED to pay the salary atm as it's fully allocated to the loaning team regardless of contribution, so why the hell should a loan fee go on top of that as well?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

As far as I am aware, the cost for Guest and marquee players are unlimited

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

As far as I am aware, the cost for Guest and marquee players are unlimited

That's correct. But we knew that. All I can think of is that FFA wouldn't allow us to redesignate McCormack from "Marquee injury replacement" to "guest."

I don't think there's much chance of getting transparency out of FFA. The rules are made up as they go along.

• Like 2

Aston Villa is in a good spot.  Ross is on a good salary. Win win situation.  He's active holiday has finished.  He sounded (still) ambitious and any other football destination on his plate is much more attractive. He has already gone In his career through the exciment of being a top scorer. 

Unlimited - none club will pay Championship salary. None club is using guest player to entertain members. Unless someone privately makes donation.

Villa's players look much fitter. Can Ross be used to just convert free kicks. Need a new rule about that.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Aston Villa is in a good spot.  Ross is on a good salary. Win win situation.  He's active holiday has finished.  He sounded (still) ambitious and any other football destination on his plate is much more attractive. He has already gone In his career through the exciment of being a top scorer. 

Unlimited - none club will pay Championship salary. None club is using guest player to entertain members. Unless someone privately makes donation.

Villa's players look much fitter. Can Ross be used to just convert free kicks. Need a new rule about that.

My head hurts.

7 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think if you look closely he does make some good points within the post. I'd say you'd have to go down the rabbit hole to fully understand, if you're brave enough. 

Im concerned if i ever go down that hole i might not come back...

I get the general gist. The english however is mind-numbingly awful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 9:08 AM, haz said:

11th Feb - Villa vs Birmingham: Not selected

(yes I know he is getting 'rested' for a number of weeks)

17th Feb - Villa vs Fulham: Not Selected in first team or reserves

20th Feb - Villa vs Preston NE: Not Seleted in first team or reserves

Consecutive Matches Not Selected: 4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report: Colorado Rapids miss out on Ross McCormack deal

The MLS side have signed Wolves frontman Joe Mason instead, according to reports.

Ross McCormack of Melbourne City (R) and Daniel Georgievski of the Jets during the round 18 A-League match between Melbourne City FC and the Newcastle Jets at AAMI Park on January 25, 2018...

MLS side Colorado Rapids have failed in a move to sign Aston Villa flop Ross Mccormack, according to the Daily Mail.

At the weekend the Daily Mail suggested that the Rapids were considering potential moves for both McCormack and Wolves striker Joe Mason.

But it appears it was never the case of signing both, but rather one or the other. The report today claims the Rapids could not strike a deal together for Mccormack - so instead snapped up striker Mason from Wolves.

Joe Mason of Wolverhampton Wanderers attempts to control the ball watched by Joe Walsh of Milton Keynes Dons during the Sky Bet Championship match between Milton Keynes Dons and...

The MLS would have been a good location for McCormack, who most recently spent time on loan in Australia with Melbourne City.

The Scottish forward is completely out of favour at Villa Park after falling out with manager Steve Bruce last season. He went on to have an unsuccessful loan spell with Nottingham Forest and now looks set to spend the rest of the campaign watching Villa from the sidelines.

Ross McCormack of Aston Villa is put under pressure from Ronaldo Vieira of Leeds United during the Sky Bet Championship match between Aston Villa and Leeds United at Villa Park on December...

Of course he does still have some options. Some transfer windows remain open and he could still find himself another team he decides to force an exit from Aston Villa.

One thing that still looks unlikely, is any sort of reprieve from Aston Villa boss Bruce.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/20/report-colorado-rapids-miss-out-on-ross-mccormack-deal/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russia? Japan? Norway? Aston Villa still have options to flog Ross McCormack

The clock is ticking, but there are plenty of transfer windows still open if Villa want the Scot gone.

Ross McCormack of Aston Villa is put under pressure from Ronaldo Vieira of Leeds United during the Sky Bet Championship match between Aston Villa and Leeds United at Villa Park on December...

Ross McCormack

Ross McCormack will be staying at Aston Villa for the time being, despite clearly being out of favour at Villa Park.

MLS side Colorado Rapids have failed in a move to sign Aston Villa flop Ross Mccormack, according to the Daily Mail - instead bringing in Joe Mason from Wolves.

So it seems the Scottish striker is destined to watch on and rot for Villa as the season continues.

Or perhaps not. Whilst the transfer window in the UK is shut others, like the USA, remain open.

Here are some options for McCormack if he wants to escape Aston Villa in the coming weeks…

FC Spartak Moscow fans light flares during the Russian Premier League match between FC Spartak Moscow and PFC CSKA Moscow at Otkrytie Arena stadium on December 10, 2017 in Moscow, Russia.

FC Spartak Moscow and PFC CSKA Moscow at Otkrytie Arena

Russia - Four days remaining

The Russian window remains open for another four days and there would certainly be a few teams in the Russian Premier League who would like to gamble on the Scottish striker.

Being from Glasgow, the cold weather is not exactly going to bother the 31-year-old and there are plenty of teams who could afford his documented £40,000-a-week wages.

China - Eight days remaining

So McCormack is not exactly the high profile signing that Chinese clubs are looking for, but the money over there is fairly ridiculous and even teams in the second tier are prepared to pay big for even the more mediocre of talents.

Japan - 38 days remaining

Plenty of time if McCormack fancies heading to Japan. Whilst not usually delving into the Western Europe market that has changed recently, with Vissel Kobe signing Lukas Podolski last year.

An unlikely prospect, but one that could serve him well.

Lukas Podolski of Vissel Kobe walks into the pitch prior to the preseason friendly match between Vegalta Sendai and Vissel Kobe at Yurtec Stadium Sendai on July 22, 2017 in Sendai, Miyagi,...

Lukas Podolski of Vissel Kobe 

Scandinavia - 39 days remaining

Specifically, this relates to Sweden and Norway and, given the financials involved, would seem an unlikely fit for McCormack.

That said, some teams in the Allsvenskan and Tippeligaen might be able to put the money together for a package to bring McCormack to their respective league.

He would certainly fancy his chances of scoring goals at this level and would keep him relatively close to home - compared to the other destinations on offer.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/20/russia-japan-norway-aston-villa-still-have-options-to-flog-ross/page/1/#comments

It seems that Villa were holding out for a fee from another club

Edited by haz

46 minutes ago, haz said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that Villa were holding out for a fee from another club

In a way its a relief to know that some British clubs are also run by knobs who have no idea.

• Like 5

On 2/21/2018 at 7:31 AM, haz said:

24th Feb - Villa vs Wednesday: Not selected in first team, (Reserves squad not announced until 26th)

Consecutive Matches Not Selected: 5

Edited by haz