Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

23 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Unless it's changed in the last six years, there is a loan window which starts in the UK once the transfer window shuts. So certainly the closure of the transfer window isn't the end of the road, though it may provoke some other solution of the sort mentioned by BT.

I don't think the loan window applies to moves outside of the UK though does it?

Bruce: I wanted McCormack to stay in Australia

By Lucas Radbourne-Pugh Jan 31 2018 10:13AM

Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce has weighed in on the Ross McCormack saga, saying he wanted the Scottish striker to remain down under.

McCormack flew back to England to rejoin the Villans after a prolific spell at Melbourne City, where he scored 14 goals in 17 appearances.

Although Villa are in desparate need of an in-form striker, Bruce's relationship with the forward has been strained, with the coach previously publicly lashing out at McCormack for missing training.

McCormack looks as if he’s come to an end at Melbourne,” Bruce said. “I’ve given him a couple of weeks off. He can’t go anywhere else because he’s played for two other clubs.

“When he comes back after having a couple of weeks off I’ll have a chat with him, see where he’s up to and we’ll go from there."

Melbourne City have been trying to keep hold of their prized asset heading into A-League finals, with 'Ross the Boss' unable to play for a European or Australian club this season under FIFA regulations.

But despite the uncertainty over McCormack's future, the experienced Villa gaffer isn't being drawn on whether the Scot has a place in Birmingham yet.

“I would have liked him to have stayed in Australia and play because I think he’s benefited from playing," said Bruce. "But he’ll come back in and we’ll see how he is.”

“You can never say never and I’ll never ever cut off my nose to spite my face, even though I’d like to at times. We’ll see what happens."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/bruce-i-wanted-mccormack-to-stay-in-australia-482199

Steve Bruce is fucked in the head. What does 'looks as if' even mean? Bruce would have made the decision?? Bruce ya fat fuck just let Ross stay in Australia then

Ross McCormack’s time at Melbourne City appears over after Aston Villa block loan deal

DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun

January 31, 2018

MELBOURNE City hopes of prolific striker Ross McCormack returning for the club’s A-League finals campaign have been dashed with Aston Villa blocking a loan extension.

City, who are away to Brisbane Roar on Sunday, were hoping to seal an attacking signing before most European transfer windows close on Thursday morning.

City’s scoring hopes will now rest on the shoulders of Bruno Fornaroli, who could return to the squad within a fortnight after a successful 90-minute return in last Friday’s youth team friendly.

McCormack held talks with Aston Villa in the last 48 hours and hoped to convince them to enable him to return for a second A-League stint after his injury-replacement deal for Fornaroli expired.

In the end it’s believed that McCormack, who scored 14 goals in 17 games at City, was handed a lifeline at promotion-chasing Villa after it appeared that manager Steve Bruce had ruled a line through him.

Relations between Bruce and McCormack have been tense since their infamous bust-up after the Scottish striker failed to show up for training last January but the Villa boss left the door ajar for a McCormack comeback after confirming that the City deal was dead.

“McCormack looks as if he’s come to an end at Melbourne,” Bruce said.

“I would have liked him to have stayed in Australia and play because I think he’s benefited from playing. But he’ll come back in and we’ll see how he is.

“I’ve given him a couple of weeks off. He can’t go anywhere else because he’s played for two other clubs.

“When he comes back after having a couple of weeks off I’ll have a chat with him, see where he’s up to and we’ll go from there.

“You can never say never and I’ll never ever cut off my nose to spite my face, even though I’d like to at times. We’ll see what happens.”

Sydney FC were locked in talks on A-League transfer deadline day, with former Central Coast attacker Fabio Ferreira destined to sign.

The Sky Blues had already signed defender Ben Warland from Adelaide United.

Central Coast Mariners confirmed the sale of attacker Kwabena Appiah, who joins a Korean top flight club.

Melbourne City were also linked with Mariners midfielder Liam Rose.

Only uncontracted players can be signed by A-League clubs after the close of the transfer window, which in most countries is January 31.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/ross-mccormacks-time-at-melbourne-city-appears-over-after-aston-villa-block-loan-deal/news-story/f24811957a0aa63719adb5699c3eaee8

Hang on it's easy to blame Villa for not being helpful, but why should they?

If for arguments sake they were accommodating and agreed for Ross to see out the season in a loan deal how in hell could we do it with the rules as they are.

What's annoying me is that why didn't we see this coming? We have obviously cleared alot of cap space for some sort of January movement and apart from Vidosic for Cahill  (which looks like a great move) and Delbridge, we have lost Fernando, Carusca and Kilkenny for no replacement. This is to me poor transfer business.

Now if we have had kept Ross it would be a completely different argument but no Ross and no replacement for Kilkenny, Carusca or Brandan is a net loss a to me a weakened squad.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

If for arguments sake they were accommodating and agreed for Ross to see out the season in a loan deal how in hell could we do it with the rules as they are.

What's annoying me is that why didn't we see this coming? We have obviously cleared alot of cap space for some sort of January movement and apart from Vidosic for Cahill  (which looks like a great move) and Delbridge, we have lost Fernando, Carusca and Kilkenny for no replacement. This is to me poor transfer business.

Now if we have had kept Ross it would be a completely different argument but no Ross and no replacement for Kilkenny, Carusca or Brandan is a net loss a to me a weakened squad.

Absolutely agree with your first two lines. 
Wait and see on the rest but imo we'll be all over it. Still sIgnings to come methinks.

22 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I can't see why he couldn't be a guest player, unless this was 1) vetoed by FFA or 2) not allowed by some other "rule" that we don't know of.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I can't see why he couldn't be a guest player, unless this was 1) vetoed by FFA or 2) not allowed by some other "rule" that we don't know of.

You'd have to think almost certainly the answer is 1. I suspect he probably didnt qualify in their eyes as far as marketability goes, which is fair enough tbh. Also seems like a bit of a stretch given we've just had him for 18 rounds.

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely agree with your first two lines. 
Wait and see on the rest but imo we'll be all over it. Still sIgnings to come methinks.

Basically down to the uncontracted players. We have space for a Visa and some local. 

I will be pretty pissed if we didn't as bare minimum get a Visa player in.

Maybe they are waiting to see how Bruno fares in his comeback as to whether we need a backup striker. 

For me a Visa winger type that can play across the front 3 would be ideal, a Novillo type.

And TBF I reackon CFG did all they could to get Ross back but sometimes things just can't be done.

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Basically down to the uncontracted players. We have space for a Visa and some local. 

I will be pretty pissed if we didn't as bare minimum get a Visa player in.

Maybe they are waiting to see how Bruno fares in his comeback as to whether we need a backup striker. 

For me a Visa winger type that can play across the front 3 would be ideal, a Novillo type.

And TBF I reackon CFG did all they could to get Ross back but sometimes things just can't be done.

Yeh agree with all of that, i'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt that they've got something lined up before i get annoyed about it. If it eventuates we have a spare visa spot and dont fill it, then they'll cop their right whack.

Agree a goal scoring winger is exactly what we need, preferably one that can slot in at striker for a few weeks as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh agree with all of that, i'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt that they've got something lined up before i get annoyed about it. If it eventuates we have a spare visa spot and dont fill it, then they'll cop their right whack.

Agree a goal scoring winger is exactly what we need, preferably one that can slot in at striker for a few weeks as well.

At this stage I'm surprised rather than annoyed.

We also need to bear in mind what the club sees for next season and beyond. Perhaps we're going to see more of our young players promoted into the senior squad such that the average age of the squad starts to go down?

With just 9 matches to go you'd expect a couple of signings (e.g. your visa player as above) very quickly or not at all, the latter meaning we finish this season with the squad we already have, with Vidosic and Budzinski the front men.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

At this stage I'm surprised rather than annoyed.

We also need to bear in mind what the club sees for next season and beyond. Perhaps we're going to see more of our young players promoted into the senior squad such that the average age of the squad starts to go down?

With just 9 matches to go you'd expect a couple of signings (e.g. your visa player as above) very quickly or not at all, the latter meaning we finish this season with the squad we already have, with Vidosic and Budzinski the front men.

+ Bruno.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, of course, but I'm not sure just where he really is with his recovery/match fitness.

Apparently played 90 mins in a youth match recently. So you would expect him to be involved in the Perth away game or maybe Sydney. 

And id take a 70% Bruno anyday.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Apparently played 90 mins in a youth match recently. So you would expect him to be involved in the Perth away game or maybe Sydney. 

And id take a 70% Bruno anyday.

Scored 2 as well. Imo we'll see him off the bench next week v Sydney, perhaps another game or two after that before he's starting depending on our results.

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Scored 2 as well. Imo we'll see him off the bench next week v Sydney, perhaps another game or two after that before he's starting depending on our results.

Probably spot on. If McCormack as an example is anything to go by he was managed and never seemed over used.

I'm pretty confident Bruno could play through pain and play pretty well. Before his ankle I don't think he missed any games for us apart from suspensions? Playing as a back to goal striker he was getting hacked regularly and would have for sure carried niggles over his past 50 or so games.

Just now, Jovan said:

Probably spot on. If McCormack as an example is anything to go by he was managed and never seemed over used.

I'm pretty confident Bruno could play through pain and play pretty well. Before his ankle I don't think he missed any games for us apart from suspensions? Playing as a back to goal striker he was getting hacked regularly and would have for sure carried niggles over his past 50 or so games.

I think Bruno will prob benefit from Arzani's trickery too in that it draws the attention he was getting last year away. A scoring winger on the other side would make us so much more dangerous.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think Bruno will prob benefit from Arzani's trickery too in that it draws the attention he was getting last year away. A scoring winger on the other side would make us so much more dangerous.

So this. Bruno's last season was so frustrating as the service to him, due to crappy wingers and no CAM, was nowhere near the year before (Mooy and Novillo). It meant it was easy for opposition teams to double team him - he had to roam deeper a lot of the time just to get a touch.

Arzani brings that Novillo style of play where he takes on defenders and quickly cuts in. By continually beating your man on the dribble and moving centrally, it forces one of the centre backs to shift across to cover, leaving that pocket of space where a smart striker like tuna can exploit again - and was so often used successfully in his first season. A similar player on the other wing would make it obviously harder for defenders again.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rass said:

So this. Bruno's last season was so frustrating as the service to him, due to crappy wingers and no CAM, was nowhere near the year before (Mooy and Novillo). It meant it was easy for opposition teams to double team him - he had to roam deeper a lot of the time just to get a touch.

Arzani brings that Novillo style of play where he takes on defenders and quickly cuts in. By continually beating your man on the dribble and moving centrally, it forces one of the centre backs to shift across to cover, leaving that pocket of space where a smart striker like tuna can exploit again - and was so often used successfully in his first season. A similar player on the other wing would make it obviously harder for defenders again.

To add to this, Vidosic on the left together with Bud as CAM will really keep the opposition defense busy. Jamieson overlaps well as Atkinson did, so the only real challenge is having a RB to replace Atkinson's attacking prowess. 

With the slow ball movement of last season, Bruno had no space and didn't have a second option to link with, but our front 4 and transitional play is becoming a lot more dynamic.

Hopefully he is not far off.

• Like 2

A shame really but with Bruno almost back we just have to hold the fort for the next few. We have been scoring more goals from midfield now so I think we will be fine. We were never going to win it this season, ladder doesn’t lie this far in so it’s just a matter of consolation of the third spot IMO

There's no point in recruiting players just because they are available. If we haven't recruited I hope it's because the type of player that we are looking for is unavailable at the price. We are either hoping that we get no late-season injuries, or hoping that we have NYL player who can step up, although their season ends this week. Bruno will return but won't return match fit nor match sharp and won't have played with any of our front 3 starting XI so I'm not expecting a goal-fest from him

• Like 1

I've been looking at the issue of "loan fees." As yet I'm not quite sure of what applies, but there has been considerable discussion of this issue before at an A-League/club level.

For example https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/24/ffa-changed-loan-rules-after-salary-cap-concerns.

This article http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/aleague-clubs-used-salary-cap-loophole-to-sign-socceroos-on-cheap-loan-deals/news-story/e28842226ca74317e1566cf41b618526 suggests that the inclusion of loan fees within the salary cap is part of the "Lampard Rule."

"FFA were forced to amend the rules at the end of last season to say that loan fees would be included in the cap unless clubs could prove they were not indirect payments to the player. A scale of minimum salaries was also included for players signed on loan by A-league clubs from so-called “parent” clubs overseas - a change which it’s believed forced Melbourne City to abandon plans to bring Frank Lampard to the A-League on loan from Manchester City."

The PFA threatened to challenge the change, so who knows what the current situation is. However, if Villa were insisting on a loan fee of $400,000 for Ross McCormack and loan fees do have to be included inside the cap, then this would likely be the reason why he is no longer with us.

Edited by jw1739