Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

Just now, rass said:

Yep - just throwing it out there as I am not sure what plans the club has for the remainder for January. i.e. are they planning on an extra signing on top of a replacement for Ross, in which case they need all the spare coin they have? Otherwise if they are happy with that, I don't see why the rumoured $100K would be an issue at all for them. 

Yeh the 100k thing seems a bit off to me, but its hard to know without being in the room. It might be 100k on top of what they were already paying, which throws out the salary cap?

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Yeh the 100k thing seems a bit off to me, but its hard to know without being in the room. It might be 100k on top of what they were already paying, which throws out the salary cap?

Who knows hey, I guess that's why it's best to treat these reports with a grain of salt until the club confirms the numbers. I just want some sort of stability going into a finals campaign....

What I do take out of it is that the club is very keen to keep him if they are prepared to fly him out to the UK to meet with Villa to sort it out and also a few weeks later to see his family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

The 100k is apparently a loan fee, which is far as I understand is effectively a transfer fee. Surely that wouldn't have any impact on the salary cap?

2 minutes ago, Embee said:

The 100k is apparently a loan fee, which is far as I understand is effectively a transfer fee. Surely that wouldn't have any impact on the salary cap?

Quite possibly correct. Im not sure, its very murky. As we sort of spoke about previously, im not sure how we conceivably get him under the cap anyway, without some sort of creative accounting or contracting. Im sure there's a way, but its impossible to know without seeing the league rules etc.

3 hours ago, malloy said:

Bit ridiculous if we think $100k is too high a loan fee imo. Subject to salary cap of course.

If we are to do anything for the rest of the season and into finals we need a fucking striker and to lose one that is in a purple patch is gonna hurt us.

We should be thinking more long-term: is he a player we would require to be competitive in the ACL? If the answer is yes then we should be locking him into a long-term deal. It'll cost us as much to sign a player of equal ability anyway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We should be thinking more long-term: is he a player we would require to be competitive in the ACL? If the answer is yes then we should be locking him into a long-term deal. It'll cost us as much to sign a player of equal ability anyway

That assumes we'd be keeping him beyond this season, which would seem unlikely in the present situation. We'd likely have to pay a tfr in excess of 5 mil to keep him, which seem very unlikely.

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

And IMO having quality players like Bruno and Ross into next season would do wonders for attendances.

Edited by playmaker

16 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

How serious do we want to be about ACL?

I'd suggest very, but $5mil+ is a lot of money to spend on a club thats already losing big money. If there's one thing ive learnt in football is that it's a hell of a lot easier to spend other people's money that your own.

I think its a possibility, albeit a small one, given the expected revenue increase in Asia for CFG clubs, but I'm certainly being realistic about Ross' case from a financial standpoint.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I'd suggest very, but $5mil+ is a lot of money to spend on a club thats already losing big money. If there's one thing ive learnt in football is that it's a hell of a lot easier to spend other people's money that your own.

I think its a possibility, albeit a small one, given the expected revenue increase in Asia for CFG clubs, but I'm certainly being realistic about Ross' case from a financial standpoint.

Not to mention we'd need to offer him a wage that's tempting enough for him to continue his career here rather than look for another English Championship club to play for.

As you say, easier to spend other people's money than your own.

IMO we just have to wait and see what happens. At the moment, it's all speculation as to what the details of the situation are. All we really know for sure is that Bruno isn't ready to take the field yet, and that Ross would like to stay until the end of the season if he can. I don't believe that the only thing holding up an extension of the loan until the end of the season would be as little (to CFG) as $100,00, but I can't see us forking out the sorts of monies that are being bandied around in order to keep Ross beyond the end of this season. I feel that, if anything, CFG are reducing the amount of money they're prepared to throw at Melbourne City rather than increasing it.

2 hours ago, Embee said:

I believe a loan fee used to count towards the cap. Though when they decided to introduce the rule that all of a loan players salary should be included in the cap (regardless of who is paying) they would surely have had to remove a loan fee from counting under the cap.

The stranger thing i guess is if we pay the loan fee whilst he is injury replacement surely it is exempt from the salary cap...

move off some more senior players like muscat, maybe la rocca, people surplus to requirement.  promote some more juniors on the cheap, frees up more for quality players like rossco.  I think this was something similar to what someone said sydney fc does.  Put all their money into starting XI and the bench and have cheap squadies to back it up.  A totally fit XI with reliable youngsters pushing them would do us well in the long run. All for having age and experience, but not players rotting on the bench. Give the kids a run and they will pay dividends for us in the long run, as proven with atkinson, arzani and hopefully more (metcalfe, genreau and about half of our NYL team - our youth quality is actually ridiculous)

sorry ran slightly off topic...the jist was to say a player like ross should be kept if it means moving on some more senior players. I would support that 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bt50 said:

Sure, you spend serious money if you are serious. We don't just want to qualify for ACL, we want to do well and get out of the group stage

3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

If that was his final game, Ross joins the extremely small club of former Heart/City players who left whilst still being universally loved by the fans. Thanks for the incredible memories you big beautiful haggis-eating bastard :wub:

We need Nelly Yoa on negotiations. Hopefully the Sheik has looked under his sofa and found some extra $ks for Ross

While it is widely known that Aston Villa is keen in selling him, Ross' aren't allowed to play in another English club due to the third club rule. His other option is to play in MLS where it has been reported that several clubs are after him, LA Galaxy, Orlando City and Colorado Rapids are all interested in bringing him to play football in the United States ahead of their new season. Stiff competition out there to get him. Hope CFG is doing all they can,

17 hours ago, Originalmeme said:

move off some more senior players like muscat, maybe la rocca, people surplus to requirement.  promote some more juniors on the cheap, frees up more for quality players like rossco.  I think this was something similar to what someone said sydney fc does.  Put all their money into starting XI and the bench and have cheap squadies to back it up.  A totally fit XI with reliable youngsters pushing them would do us well in the long run. All for having age and experience, but not players rotting on the bench. Give the kids a run and they will pay dividends for us in the long run, as proven with atkinson, arzani and hopefully more (metcalfe, genreau and about half of our NYL team - our youth quality is actually ridiculous)

sorry ran slightly off topic...the jist was to say a player like ross should be kept if it means moving on some more senior players. I would support that 

Given that we own the Germano centre this would be a high risk strategy. If we lose too three or more players to injury then the team would fall in a heap.

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce on McCormack (30th Jan 2018):

"McCormack looks as if he’s come to an end at Melbourne. I’ve given him a couple of weeks off.

He can’t go anywhere else because he’s played for two other clubs. When he comes back after having a couple of weeks off I’ll have a chat with him, see where he’s up to and we’ll go from there.

I would have liked him to have stayed in Australia and play because I think he’s benefited from playing.

But he’ll come back in and we’ll see how he is.

It’s disappointing on both sides. You can never say never and I’ll never ever cut off my nose to spite my face, even though I’d like to at times. We’ll see what happens. At the moment, he’s away for the next couple of weeks."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/the-rules-rules-every-word-14217013

Another new article (which I'm not so sure about, as it might be a rewrite of the above press conference) says: 

Ross McCormack poised for talks over Aston Villa future next month

By Matt Maher | Aston Villa | Published: 11 hours ago | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

Villa will hold talks with Ross McCormack next month with the striker facing an uncertain future.

McCormack has been given two weeks off by boss Steve Bruce, having returned to the UK last Friday following the end of his loan spell at Melbourne City.

Fifa rules, which limit the number of clubs a player can turn out for in a single season, mean the 31-year-old is unable to move anywhere in England, while a return to Australia has also been ruled out.

A switch to the USA and the MLS, where the season does not begin until March, is an option.

Neither has Bruce entirely ruled out a return to the fold at Villa, though that would currently seem a long shot.

“I have given Ross a couple of weeks off,” said the boss. “He can’t go anywhere else because he has played for two clubs. When he comes back, we’ll have a chat and go from there.”

McCormack scored 14 goals in 17 appearances for Melbourne, after making the move Down Under in early October as an injury replacement for Bruno Fornaroli.

The A-League’s salary cap rules meant his stay could not be extended beyond the end of January, despite Bruce, Villa and the player’s preference being for him to remain in Australia.

McCormack has not featured for Villa in the Championship since last January following a high-profile falling out with the manager. His only appearances for the club this term came in the Carabao Cup.

Bruce added: “I would have liked him to stay in Australia and play. I think he has benefited from playing. He’ll come back and we will see how he is.

“You can never say never. I will never cut off my nose to spite my face. We will see what happens.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/01/29/ross-mccormack-poised-for-talks-over-aston-villa-future-next-month/

21 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce on McCormack (30th Jan 2018):

"McCormack looks as if he’s come to an end at Melbourne. I’ve given him a couple of weeks off.

He can’t go anywhere else because he’s played for two other clubs. When he comes back after having a couple of weeks off I’ll have a chat with him, see where he’s up to and we’ll go from there.

I would have liked him to have stayed in Australia and play because I think he’s benefited from playing.

But he’ll come back in and we’ll see how he is.

It’s disappointing on both sides. You can never say never and I’ll never ever cut off my nose to spite my face, even though I’d like to at times. We’ll see what happens. At the moment, he’s away for the next couple of weeks."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/the-rules-rules-every-word-14217013

Another new article (which I'm not so sure about, as it might be a rewrite of the above press conference) says: 

Ross McCormack poised for talks over Aston Villa future next month

By Matt Maher | Aston Villa | Published: 11 hours ago | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

Villa will hold talks with Ross McCormack next month with the striker facing an uncertain future.

McCormack has been given two weeks off by boss Steve Bruce, having returned to the UK last Friday following the end of his loan spell at Melbourne City.

Fifa rules, which limit the number of clubs a player can turn out for in a single season, mean the 31-year-old is unable to move anywhere in England, while a return to Australia has also been ruled out.

A switch to the USA and the MLS, where the season does not begin until March, is an option.

Neither has Bruce entirely ruled out a return to the fold at Villa, though that would currently seem a long shot.

“I have given Ross a couple of weeks off,” said the boss. “He can’t go anywhere else because he has played for two clubs. When he comes back, we’ll have a chat and go from there.”

McCormack scored 14 goals in 17 appearances for Melbourne, after making the move Down Under in early October as an injury replacement for Bruno Fornaroli.

The A-League’s salary cap rules meant his stay could not be extended beyond the end of January, despite Bruce, Villa and the player’s preference being for him to remain in Australia.

McCormack has not featured for Villa in the Championship since last January following a high-profile falling out with the manager. His only appearances for the club this term came in the Carabao Cup.

Bruce added: “I would have liked him to stay in Australia and play. I think he has benefited from playing. He’ll come back and we will see how he is.

“You can never say never. I will never cut off my nose to spite my face. We will see what happens.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/01/29/ross-mccormack-poised-for-talks-over-aston-villa-future-next-month/

If that's the case, what a bloody waste.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't understand why we couldn't have him for the remainder of the season as a guest player. Perhaps another FFA rule in play here?

It certainly feels like someone is being a jobsworth, rather than thinking of what is good for the player, or for football. Not sure whether that's FFA, Villa or CFG.

Edited by fensaddler

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

It certainly feels like someone is being a jobsworth, rather than thinking of what is good for the player, or for football. Not sure whether that's FFA, Villa or CFG.

Steve Bruce sounds like an arsehole to me. Why would you give McCormack a couple of weeks off when he's just got himself back to something like match fitness? That doesn't make sense whatever the player's future is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Steve Bruce sounds like an arsehole to me. Why would you give McCormack a couple of weeks off when he's just got himself back to something like match fitness? That doesn't make sense whatever the player's future is.

Seems like a ploy to avoid any chance him returning to us on loan. But yea makes no sense, from Villa's POV or Ross'. Everytime he scored here his price would increase thus helping villa

Maybe Ross is getting the 2 weeks off to have time with his family, which he hasn't seen in a few months. I recall that we agreed to give Ross about a week off in February to see his family, if we re-signed him.

However, the talks between MCFC and Aston Villa don't sound like they are progressing very well ATM... Maybe MCFC should look at signing another quality attacker if we can't re-sign Ross (Not many strikers out there. Chris Ikonomidis or Ajdin Hrustic on loan or longer?)

15 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Does that mean a deal has to be done by today? 

Only as far as a sale goes to my knowledge. It's feasable that someone might buy Ross from Villa with the knowledge they can't use him until next season. In that instance they can still loan him out to us, or an MLS club which im pretty sure can be done outside the window. I'd hazard a guess to say he's probably still 'registered' to us.
Should Villa keep him, i'd suggest its likely that he either stays there and tries to play, or Villa reassess and see if they can negotiate a deal to get him here.

To me the reports around a loan fee being the sticking point don't make sense, at least in the context of the A League rules being the reason he can't come back. Personally i think all the journos are guessing a bit and trying to pass it off as 'sources suggest', when they dont really know or understand what's being discussed. I also dont know whether there is some sort of manufactured contract loophole that CFG are trying to manufacture, and how that would fit in with both Villa and the League, but i suppose its conceptually possible if you know the rules. Oddly enough, the general piblic doesnt seem to be allowed to see them.

Edited by bt50

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Only as far as a sale goes to my knowledge. It's feasable that someone might buy Ross from Villa with the knowledge they can't use him until next season. In that instance they can still loan him out to us, or an MLS club which im pretty sure can be done outside the window. I'd hazard a guess to say he's probably still 'registered' to us.
Should Villa keep him, i'd suggest its likely that he either stays there and tries to play, or Villa reassess and see if they can negotiate a deal to get him here.

To me the reports around a loan fee being the sticking point don't make sense, at least in the context of the A League rules being the reason he can't come back. Personally i think all the journos are guessing a bit and trying to pass it off as 'sources suggest', when they dont really know or understand what's being discussed. I also dont know whether there is some sort of manufactured contract loophole that CFG are trying to manufacture, and how that would fit in with both Villa and the League, but i suppose its conceptually possible if you know the rules. Oddly enough, the general piblic doesnt seem to be allowed to see them.

Unless it's changed in the last six years, there is a loan window which starts in the UK once the transfer window shuts. So certainly the closure of the transfer window isn't the end of the road, though it may provoke some other solution of the sort mentioned by BT.