Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

$20 million striker Ross McCormack will stay at Melbourne City on one condition

David Davutovic

January 18, 2018 

MELBOURNE City scoring machine Ross McCormack has overcome homesickness and declared that he wants to stay in Australia for the rest of the season.

The Aston Villa striker has run amok since signing as an injury-replacement for Bruno Fornaroli netting 13 goals in 15 games, with his possible stay a massive boost for City’s title chances.

McCormack, 31, revealed that the club has agreed to allow him to return to the UK to see his kids in February if they can negotiate a contract extension until the end of the season.

“I said to the club (City) that I’d stay for the season. Now it’s up to the guys up above to do whatever they do and agree a deal with Aston Villa,’’ McCormack told the Herald Sun.

“I’ve got two kids that live in London and it was always going to be tough around Christmas time. It’s the first time I’ve been away from the kids at Christmas.

“But I’ve got a plan in place with Melbourne here that if I stay then I’ll be able to see the kids when we’ve got the free week in February.

“Once that’s done then I’ll be here for the season. If not I’ll return (to England).

“We’ve been in constant dialogue, I speak to the manager (Warren Joyce) a lot and (the officials) and my agent. Everyone knows that I’d like to stay.

“Whether or not it’s possible with salary caps and (visa spots) and all these different rules in the A-League. If it’s possible it will get done, if it’s not possible then it won’t.”

McCormack conceded that his future at promotion-chasing Villa was all but over under manager Steve Bruce.

“If (a City deal can’t be sorted) then I’ll go back to Villa and probably have to look for another loan move as well,’’ he said.

“It’s not my decision but I think it’s probably been made clear that I won’t be around the team there which is fine, that’s football, that’s what happens.”

McCormack conceded he was feeling great ahead of Sunday’s AAMI Park clash with Adelaide United and was confident that City could come home strongly.

“It’s just a timing thing, when you get in a rhythm, you feel like you’re going to score every game,’’ McCormack said.

“Good signs (for City). Looking at the league, Sydney’s probably too far ahead.

“We won’t stop trying to catch them until it’s mathematically impossible, but realistically if we’re going to get one over Sydney this season it will have to be the grand final if we can.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/20-million-striker-ross-mccormack-will-stay-at-melbourne-city-on-one-condition/news-story/855f88bc988499bce7dc93ee081308b2

57 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

$20 million striker Ross McCormack will stay at Melbourne City on one condition

David Davutovic

January 18, 2018 

MELBOURNE City scoring machine Ross McCormack has overcome homesickness and declared that he wants to stay in Australia for the rest of the season.

The Aston Villa striker has run amok since signing as an injury-replacement for Bruno Fornaroli netting 13 goals in 15 games, with his possible stay a massive boost for City’s title chances.

McCormack, 31, revealed that the club has agreed to allow him to return to the UK to see his kids in February if they can negotiate a contract extension until the end of the season.

“I said to the club (City) that I’d stay for the season. Now it’s up to the guys up above to do whatever they do and agree a deal with Aston Villa,’’ McCormack told the Herald Sun.

“I’ve got two kids that live in London and it was always going to be tough around Christmas time. It’s the first time I’ve been away from the kids at Christmas.

“But I’ve got a plan in place with Melbourne here that if I stay then I’ll be able to see the kids when we’ve got the free week in February.

“Once that’s done then I’ll be here for the season. If not I’ll return (to England).

“We’ve been in constant dialogue, I speak to the manager (Warren Joyce) a lot and (the officials) and my agent. Everyone knows that I’d like to stay.

“Whether or not it’s possible with salary caps and (visa spots) and all these different rules in the A-League. If it’s possible it will get done, if it’s not possible then it won’t.”

McCormack conceded that his future at promotion-chasing Villa was all but over under manager Steve Bruce.

“If (a City deal can’t be sorted) then I’ll go back to Villa and probably have to look for another loan move as well,’’ he said.

“It’s not my decision but I think it’s probably been made clear that I won’t be around the team there which is fine, that’s football, that’s what happens.”

McCormack conceded he was feeling great ahead of Sunday’s AAMI Park clash with Adelaide United and was confident that City could come home strongly.

“It’s just a timing thing, when you get in a rhythm, you feel like you’re going to score every game,’’ McCormack said.

“Good signs (for City). Looking at the league, Sydney’s probably too far ahead.

“We won’t stop trying to catch them until it’s mathematically impossible, but realistically if we’re going to get one over Sydney this season it will have to be the grand final if we can.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/20-million-striker-ross-mccormack-will-stay-at-melbourne-city-on-one-condition/news-story/855f88bc988499bce7dc93ee081308b2

If its only a week and we get to keep him for a season, then I got no problems. Just make sure its a weak against Nix, Glory or Roar

1 hour ago, haz said:

If its only a week and we get to keep him for a season, then I got no problems. Just make sure its a weak against Nix, Glory or Roar

I’d say we will give him a bit of a rest because of knee etc once Fornaroli is ready at the start of feb. 

Have to admire what Ross has sacrificed to come out to the colony and give his career a re-boot. Kids back home and trying to stay focussed on the job at hand here.

Also looks unlikely he'd stay beyond this season unless the family was to move down under. However it turns out he's developed into a very important contributor this season.

• Like 1

This bloke has proven me wrong. 

After his first 3 or 4 games he looked NPL level at best. Then slowly each game he has got into better and better positions. You can clearly see his understanding of positioning is much above most A League strikes and for me positioning is probably the most important thing being a quality striker.

He can hit a dead ball as good as anyone and he knows where to be.

We need to find a way to keep him. At 31 he still has 4 seasons at this level. 

His pricetag and family are the big issues and because of this I reackon we won't see him after this season. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jovan said:

After his first 3 or 4 games he looked NPL level at best. Then slowly each game he has got into better and better positions. You can clearly see his understanding of positioning is much above most A League strikes and for me positioning is probably the most important thing being a quality striker.

His pricetag and family are the big issues and because of this I reackon we won't see him after this season. 

The key will be getting him and Fornaroli to click.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

To be fair to Ross, he came here to reinvigorate his career and find some form. He is clearly worth money beyond that of which the A League can provide. I also remember him talking about the MLS and America is probably prefered for him to settle his kids. I dont think it would be right to keep him, as keen as I am on the idea. And not that we should not try!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

It looks as though Budzinski would have to be terminated or brought inside the cap in order for McCormack to be a marquee for next season. Even assuming that City and Ross could agree on a salary.

I can't see an insurmountable difficulty in retaining Ross for the rest of this season. It would require FFA's consent, but if they agree he could remain as a guest player.

McCormack is a perfect example of how FFA's rules restrict what the wealthier A-League clubs could otherwise do.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

If he had a long-term stay here he'd be able to apply for citizenship, that's our long-term appeal of a gig in the A League. The US may appeal but I think that Pres. Trumpery has made a US stay much less appealing

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It looks as though Budzinski would have to be terminated or brought inside the cap in order for McCormack to be a marquee for next season. Even assuming that City and Ross could agree on a salary.

I can't see an insurmountable difficulty in retaining Ross for the rest of this season. It would require FFA's consent, but if they agree he could remain as a guest player.

McCormack is a perfect example of how FFA's rules restrict what the wealthier A-League clubs could otherwise do.

Would you consider Sydney FC to be one of the "wealthier clubs"? How do they fit in all those players in the salary cap?

FFA changed their A-league game to accommodate their AFC games yet didn't do it for Victory.

Edited by Tony999

22 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The US may appeal but I think that Pres. Trumpery has made a US stay much less appealing

I really dont think that would be a factor to anyone that isnt bat shit crazy...
As far as im aware, Ross isnt Lily Allen.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Would you consider Sydney FC to be one of the "wealthier clubs"? How do they fit in all those players in the salary cap?

FFA changed their A-league game to accommodate their AFC games yet didn't do it for Victory.

1. Yes.

2. Just a personal opinion, but I would say that Sydney would be a more attractive club to play for than City is at the moment. They appear more stable than we are and actually win trophies. Whether or not a player would sacrifice a few thousand to play for them I don't know. I'm sure that Sydney's books are scrutinised by FFA just as thoroughly as the other clubs - if not, and this became known, there would be uproar from the other clubs.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

...2. Just a personal opinion, but I would say that Sydney would be a more attractive club to play for than City is at the moment. They appear more stable than we are and actually win trophies. Whether or not a player would sacrifice a few thousand to play for them I don't know...

The thing that goes against Sydney is that it's a fukn shithole.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

I was always impressed by his motivation to come down under and get his game going again, rather than just cruise through his contract. My respect has grown with the news that he can’t see his kids (sounds like he might have split up with their mum, which would make it tricky).

Football wise I’m expecting him to keep improving. He’s still sanding off the rust I reckon.

29 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I was always impressed by his motivation to come down under and get his game going again, rather than just cruise through his contract. My respect has grown with the news that he can’t see his kids (sounds like he might have split up with their mum, which would make it tricky).

Football wise I’m expecting him to keep improving. He’s still sanding off the rust I reckon.

I don't think there's a marital issue. He married Courtney St. John in 2016 although they've been together for quite some time, and has two sons with her. He has another son from a previous relationship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Just when I thought Vidosic had scored goal of the season, Ross steps up with that absolute peach into the top corner! :wub:

Just heard the TV commentary, "up where the spiders live". Also kudos to the comment on Facebook last night, which broadly said "Vidosic scored the best goal of his career and McCormack says 'hang on, hold my pie'".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, fiji19 said:

Is their anyway to backload his contract? 

Meaning we sign him to a 2 year deal, but pay him inside the cap for the remainder of the season and then next season he becomes one of the marquees?

Surely Aston Villa would want compensation through a transfer and i dont see it happening because of this 

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/16/do-report-explains-how-aston-villa-plan-to-recoup-12m-for-ross-m/page/1/

Report explains how Aston Villa plan to recoup £12m for Ross McCormack

Aston Villa's decision to pay Championship rivals Fulham a huge fee for Ross McCormack in 2016 was not a good one in hindsight.

Ross McCormack of Aston Villa in action  during the Sky Bet Championship match between Aston Villa and Huddersfield Town at Villa Park on August 16, 2016 in Birmingham, England.

Aston Villa’s hope of recouping every penny of the £12 million they paid Fulham to sign Ross McCormack in the summer of 2016 looks fanciful at best.

But with the club’s forgotten man rebuilding his reputation Down Under, the Birmingham Mail report that Villa have renewed hope that they can at least make some money back on one of the club’s most disappointing signings of the modern era.

McCormack has been simply outstanding since leaving Villa for a fresh start at Australian A-League side Melbourne City in the summer. He has a remarkable 12 goals in 14 games and scored another stunning free-kick, his fifth of the season, to inspire a 2-0 win against Perth Glory last time out.

Ross McCormack of Melbourne celebrates a goal during the round 15 A-League match between the Perth Glory and Melbourne City FC at nib Stadium on January 9, 2018 in Perth, Australia.

The Scot’s loan deal was due to expire on 25 January, but it is understood that Villa are now happy for McCormack to stay at Melbourne City for the rest of the season.

But do not mistake this as a well-meaning favour to their overpriced white elephant. The Birmingham Mail adds that Aston Villa are hoping that McCormack’s record-breaking feat in Australia will see suitors express an interest in a player who looked finished after that dreadful debut season in the Midlands.

Ross McCormack of Melbourne City takes a free kick during the round 14 A-League match between Melbourne City and the Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park on January 6, 2018 in Melbourne,...
The club remain hopeful that they could recoup most of the £12 million outlay; and anyone who has watched McCormack in action in recent weeks should consider overlooking his disappointing spell in claret and blue.

• Like 2

Aston Villa have been a pile of shite for years. A club that has pretensions of being a big player but is actually an underperforming shambles. What they think they can get and what they will actually get are two different things. Forgive me, but gratuitous abuse of the Vile gives me a strange degree of satisfaction...

If an extension of his loan deal between Aston Villa and City cannot be finalised, his options in the immediate future are limited by FIFA's "third club" rule.

I would think that we will play Budzinski up front if The Boss leaves and Bruno is not ready to play.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If an extension of his loan deal between Aston Villa and City cannot be finalised, his options in the immediate future are limited by FIFA's "third club" rule.

I would think that we will play Budzinski up front if The Boss leaves and Bruno is not ready to play.

Surely Vidosic is the alternative striker. As best I could figure out that’s where he started vs Adelaide.

The McCormack to MLS suggestions seem to have originated from this Daily Mail article 24 hours ago:

Real Madrid to focus on move for Chelsea keeper Thibaut Courtois after No 1 target Kepa Arrizabalaga signs new deal at Athletic Bilbao

By Simon Jones for MailOnline

PUBLISHED: 14:41 GMT, 22 January 2018 | UPDATED: 16:37 GMT, 22 January 2018

[...]

LA Galaxy are among the clubs showing interest in Aston Villa striker Ross McCormack as his loan period comes to a close at Melbourne City.

McCormack's loan is due to finish this Friday, January 26 and Villa and Melbourne have, so far, been unable to agree on extending his loan arrangement until the end of the season.

Steve Bruce has no plans to use McCormack but, as he started the season at Villa and has played for Melbourne, he can't move to another British club under the third club rule.

The next best option open to him is to play in the MLS where LA Galaxy, Orlando City and Colorado Rapids have all expressed an interest in signing McCormack for their new season.

The 31-year-old Scotland international is open to a move to the States if a deal can't be agreed with Melbourne. McCormack has scored 14 goals in 16 games for Melbourne including seven in his last five games.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5298063/Real-Madrid-focus-keeper-Thibaut-Courtois.html