Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

10 hours ago, haz said:

I hope Ross stays.

Before he played I was expecting him to score 20 goals in his loan spell, after 3 weeks I was disappointed, thought he was NPL quality. But now I want him to stay, if he took his chances and had a better supply early in the season he could have had close to the 20 goals. 

If Ross and Bruno play together and click, that will be one dangerous attack, would hope to get atleast 10 goals from the pair in the final 5-8 rounds.

And then I'd be very interested what they might do in the finals...

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I still think we will move Budzinski on in order to be able to keep Ross

In which case we have to move bloody quickly, as Ross' loan deal is about to expire. There's been almost none of the expected movement in the transfer window so far, and we're half-way through that as well.

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Maybe Budzinski doesn't have to impact Ross staying. Could Ross be downgraded from marquee status and fit under the cap? If all goes smoothly he'd get a handy pay cheque for his time in Bruno's place and then perhaps is happy to take whatever for the rest of the season. 

Bruno won't be back for a month minimum, and there must be some room under the cap considering Cahill's departure, so what you suggest seems quite possible.

13 minutes ago, Dylan said:

His wages at Villa would be huge. I highly doubt they would fit under the cap. They are probably more than half the entire cap. I think @bt50found out it was around 50k pounds a week or something along those lines

From what was reported it looks highly unlikely the two will play together unless its for only 5 or 6 games. I guess what could happen however, is that his deal could be renegotiated with Villa. ie Ross takes a 20,000 pound a week paycut for 2 months or something in order to stay. You might wonder why Ross would agree to something like that, but 20,000 pounds a week for 6 weeks might be a worthwhile sacrifice to prolong your career, particularly when you are earning that much as it is. It's highly unlikely that anyone will take on Ross at that sort of money on a full time basis going forward imo, so he may need to choose between lots of cash and retirement, vs lots (but a little less) cash and continuing his career.

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Does Villa pay Ross a wage while he's on loan? 

They probably pay a portion of it, however FFA changed the rules back when Lampard came up so that a players full wage would need to be included in the salary cap, despite the fact that Troisi and Rogic had spent the season prior at Victory taking up zero cap space.

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

They probably pay a portion of it, however FFA changed the rules back when Lampard came up so that a players full wage would need to be included in the salary cap, despite the fact that Troisi and Rogic had spent the season prior at Victory taking up zero cap space.

Yeh I remember that.

I was wondering if it was possible for Villa to let Ross go by mutual termination so they avoid having to continue paying him a wage.   

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeh I remember that.

I was wondering if it was possible for Villa to let Ross go by mutual termination so they avoid having to continue paying him a wage.   

It would be, but its unlikely Ross would terminate his contract completely imo, given how valuable it is. Likewise i suspect Villa may want to recoup some of what they've paid already for minimal return, although its possible they might be happy just to cut their losses if he's prepared to walk away from the final two years of the contract.

6 minutes ago, bt50 said:

It would be, but its unlikely Ross would terminate his contract completely imo, given how valuable it is. Likewise i suspect Villa may want to recoup some of what they've paid already for minimal return, although its possible they might be happy just to cut their losses if he's prepared to walk away from the final two years of the contract.

And that's the issue that we would need so much to go right and for all parties to be happy to negotiate a truce for the sake of themselves and the each other. I'm not sure if they're willing to do so though. 

4 minutes ago, Embee said:

The Championship recycles British players almost as much as the A-League does Australians, I'm sure there'd be a club willing to pay a semi-decent fee for him, I can't see them letting him walk for nothing.

Hmm i reckon they'd let him walk for nothing given how high his wage is, esp if theyre not planning on using him. But yeh like i said i doubt he'd do that tbh.
I wonder if he'd take a cut to around $AU50k per week to stay with us long term and prolong his playing career? (based on around $2mil per season)

Ive not heard whether he like Australia as a place to live and move his family to?

Edited by bt50

Just now, bt50 said:

Hmm i reckon they'd let him walk for nothing given how high his wage is, esp if theyre not planning on using him. But yeh like i said i doubt he'd do that tbh.
I wonder if he'd take a cut to around $AU50k per week to stay with us long term? (based on around $2mil per season)

They could easily get 3-4 mil (pounds) for him from another Championship club at worst IMO, not sure why they'd cut him altogether, especially when it's unlikely he'd do it without compensation. What's his motivation to walk away from that much money?

9 minutes ago, Embee said:

They could easily get 3-4 mil (pounds) for him from another Championship club at worst IMO, not sure why they'd cut him altogether, especially when it's unlikely he'd do it without compensation. What's his motivation to walk away from that much money?

I'm not sure they would because it would require another championship club to continue on the same deal and pay those wages. It's a huge salary at that level, and if there is question marks over his, ability, fitness and attitude then i dont reckon there'd be that many takers.

As for Ross well there'd be no financial motivation to do that's for sure, but perhaps he's happy to live off a pittance (2m per year) in order to prolong his playing career.

Edit : Just to add to that, no-one else was able to come to a deal with Villa, even for a loan prior to the start of the season which is another indication that the interest is limited. Admittedly his form here may well stoke that interest a bit but the Poms have a tendency to not rate Australian football at all so grain of salt each way imo.

Edited by bt50

54 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Does Villa pay Ross a wage while he's on loan? 

It doesn't matter whether they do or not at the moment, because he's an injury replacement for a marquee player. However, if he stays beyond being an injury replacement and Bruno and Budzinski remain as marquees, then he has to come inside the cap and his full wage must be counted as paid by City under the "Lampard Rule."

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

It doesn't matter whether they do or not at the moment, because he's an injury replacement for a marquee player. However, if he stays beyond being an injury replacement and Bruno and Budzinski remain as marquees, then he has to come inside the cap and his full wage must be counted as paid by City under the "Lampard Rule."

Yep got that. My point of the question was leading towards whether Villa would have a vested interest in releasing him via mutual termination to avoid losing more money on him. 

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yep got that. My point of the question was leading towards whether Villa would have a vested interest in releasing him via mutual termination to avoid losing more money on him. 

According to transfermarkt his market value (their estimate of a transfer fee) is 4.5m GBP, his contract with Villa runs to 30th June 2020, and his loan deal with us is to 31st January 2018.

TBH, once Bruno is assessed by FFA (process unknown to me - do they just take a club's word on that?) as having recovered from his injury, and Budzinski remains as a marquee, IMO it's difficult for Ross to remain with us. Even if Manchester City bought him from Villa, he couldn't be loaned to us for the rest of this season under the "Caceres Rule." The only thing I can see possible would be a "Guest Player" stint, but that would be subject to FFA approval. I can imagine the squeals from other clubs if we did that.

Edited by jw1739

Here is an article from a few years ago that lists average player wages for the different divisions of football in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

There have been discussions in the past that the best A-League clubs are equivalent to mid to lower level Championship clubs.  However, the player value of the Championship is much higher than the A-League, as well as the weekly wage bill, so this is clearly not the case.  If Sydney FC were in the Championship, limited to their current squad (or a larger squad, but average wage bill maitained), I think they would not be able to sustain any level of continued success and they would more than likely be relegated.

In comparison to A-League players, McCormack is clearly superior in terms of his goal scoring, general movement off the ball & football smarts. This is being borne out in his goal stats, however, how much better is he than some of the other best A-League players?  The difference in quality, which is not all that much to be honest, is where the extra cost come into it, and those extra costs are huge in comparison the A-League salary cap.  McCormack at his best would be considered a mid range to top Championship performer, but outside a marquee signing, it is next to impossible to fit this quality of player into an A-League club.

CFG will need their best accountants to conjure up way for us to keep him outside of a marquee position once Bruno is fit again. 

Edited by Torn Asunder

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Yeh I remember that.

All those options are good for us and Villa, terrible options for Ross. He's at the tail end of his career, he's got to look after himself and his family. If he was smart, he'd arrange a transfer here hoping for an ACL playoff spot next season and then shop himself to China for one last unrealistically lucrative deal.

What's more likely is that CFG may include him a larger deal with Villa, ie loan them a player for a season in return

Edited by belaguttman

12 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Here is an article from a few years ago that lists average player wages for the different divisions of football in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3456453/Mind-gap-Premier-League-wages-soar-average-salaries-2014-15-season-1-7million-rest-creep-along.html

There have been discussions in the past that the best A-League clubs are equivalent to mid to lower level Championship clubs.  However, the player value of the Championship is much higher than the A-League, as well as the weekly wage bill, so this is clearly not the case.  If Sydney FC were in the Championship, limited to their current squad (or a larger squad, but average wage bill maitained), I think they would not be able to sustain any level of continued success and they would more than likely be relegated.

In comparison to A-League players, McCormack is clearly superior in terms of his goal scoring, general movement off the ball & football smarts. This is being borne out in his goal stats, however, how much better is he than some of the other best A-League players?  The difference in quality, which is not all that much to be honest, is where the extra cost come into it, and those extra costs are huge in comparison the A-League salary cap.  McCormack at his best would be considered a mid range to top Championship performer, but outside a marquee signing, it is next to impossible to fit this quality of player into an A-League club.

CFG will need their best accountants to conjure up way for us to keep him outside of a marquee position once Bruno is fit again. 

You are comparing apples with oranges here, the Championship isn't limited by a salary cap and has a far larger TV rights financial distribution to the clubs. The HAL is salary capped but offers good weather and lifestyle and a shorter season offers a chance to prolong your career.

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

You are comparing apples with oranges here, the Championship isn't limited by a salary cap and has a far larger TV rights financial distribution to the clubs. The HAL is salary capped but offers good weather and lifestyle and a shorter season offers a chance to prolong your career.

Indeed. Don't underestimate the lure of Australia to a Scotsman.

Especially when the alternative is Birmingham. 

Edited by fensaddler

The other point that is to be considered is a player's thoughts on money in sport.
Whilst plenty would be motivated by money, there's also the train of thought that suggests diminishing returns on happiness the higher your wage goes up. For me once you surpass 300-500k per year are you really going to be better off choosing an option that's less appealing to you? You often hear that players want to do whats best for their family etc but honestly you only have to look at us plebs on the street to realise that once you are earning 150k per household you can live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle, esp if you have your 'earnings' from your playing days supplementing that with interest, dividends, rent, royalties etc.

i guess what im saying is that whilst taking a 2 mil pay cut a year might seem unthinkable, perhaps its worth it to ensure your happiness, esp when you're prob still banking 2 mil a season anyway which is more than enough to live freely.

Edited by bt50

The Aston Villa youngsters that will be allowed to leave this month

• 12:41, 16 JAN 2018   UPDATED12:42, 16 JAN 2018

[...]

Elsewhere, the club remain in negotiations with Melbourne City about extending Ross McCormack’s loan spell Down Under until the end of the A-League season.

McCormack has scored 12 times in 14 appearances for City and Villa chiefs hope his form will see a permanent suitor come forward as they bid to recoup a chunk of the £12million they paid Fulham for him.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-easah-suliman-callum-14145748

Pretty good start to the year with Ross..

I agree with what others have said, if we had some more regular service then Ross would almost certainly be leading the golden boot ATM.

Ross has missed some chances in open play in the first part of the season. However, that Ross gets into goal-scoring positions so often and so easily is a huge credit to his positioning and football smarts. Too often MCFC have had strikers that haven't been able to get on the end of plays, so to have a player like Ross who can be in "the right position at the right time"--who can make goal-scoring look easy--shows that he's a top quality striker. And that's also why teams everywhere would be very happy with a striker with Ross's strike-rate.

Edited by Murfy1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

That is partly my point ... to Aston Villa and Ross, value wise he is a player commensurate with the Championship, so to bring him (or any other player at his level) to the A-League as a permanent member of the squad, he needs to sign pretty much at marquee level.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

The other point that is to be considered is a player's thoughts on money in sport.
Whilst plenty would be motivated by money, there's also the train of thought that suggests diminishing returns on happiness the higher your wage goes up. For me once you surpass 300-500k per year are you really going to be better off choosing an option that's less appealing to you? You often hear that players want to do whats best for their family etc but honestly you only have to look at us plebs on the street to realise that once you are earning 150k per household you can live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle, esp if you have your 'earnings' from your playing days supplementing that with interest, dividends, rent, royalties etc.

i guess what im saying is that whilst taking a 2 mil pay cut a year might seem unthinkable, perhaps its worth it to ensure your happiness, esp when you're prob still banking 2 mil a season anyway which is more than enough to live freely.

Yes, the social research shows a linear relationship between income and happiness up to an individual income of around AUD$80k, then there's no relationship, We don't know his income prospects beyond that football career though, he may want to put a lot of that money aside for later

24 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, the social research shows a linear relationship between income and happiness up to an individual income of around AUD$80k, then there's no relationship, We don't know his income prospects beyond that football career though, he may want to put a lot of that money aside for later

Fwiw, $1.6 mil invested at a dividend or interest return of 5% reaps 80k annually. Only half a season's work at that money.

Does anyone know the deal with his goal celebration? 

He always kisses his wrist/arm everytime he scores, does he have his kids name tattooed there or something? 

And yes,  if possible I'd be moving heaven and earth to keep him. Partly because his form has been better,  and also because we have no one else we can play in that position currently! 

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

All those options are good for us and Villa, terrible options for Ross. He's at the tail end of his career, he's got to look after himself and his family. If he was smart, he'd arrange a transfer here hoping for an ACL playoff spot next season and then shop himself to China for one last unrealistically lucrative deal.

What's more likely is that CFG may include him a larger deal with Villa, ie loan them a player for a season in return

No I agree with you and fwiw my suggestion of a possible deal was if it was in the best interests for all parties involved. Ross interview below basically confirms what you've said as he mentioned the Aston Villa deal offers some security there for him. 

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Edited by n i k o