Melbourne Football

Ross McCormack

AntiScum

39 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I see him as serviceable, nothing more or less. His pen taking is good, but hardly unique. Personally I’d back fat boy slim in on them as well. His free kicks though are world class.

Given all that I’m ambivalent about keeping him.

i would presume since his last move came with a £10m transfer fee he would be on serious coin. If you kept him it would be as a marquee only, so City would need to pay out Budweiser.

If its a choice between Ross and Bud I'd go Ross, but my point was regarding the rumour of Brandan leaving to make way for Ross and if true it's a mistake. Obviously that has to have a caveat of Brandan returning close to his former self.

Sure from free kicks and pens he is world class but I'm not sure you can carry a bloke that misses sitters regularly in the hope he gets a free. Now I'm still not convinced Ross and Bruno could combine but I'm not opposed to trying. 

Just seems that we have painted ourselves into a corner and a big decision in January needs to be made and one of Ross Bud or Brandan has to go. 

39 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I see him as serviceable, nothing more or less. His pen taking is good, but hardly unique. Personally I’d back fat boy slim in on them as well. His free kicks though are world class.

Given all that I’m ambivalent about keeping him.

i would presume since his last move came with a £10m transfer fee he would be on serious coin. If you kept him it would be as a marquee only, so City would need to pay out Budweiser.

IIRC before he came to us - and bear in mind he is an injury replacement rather than a signing - he hadn't played since March? His wife and two children are still in the UK, and so all up it's not that easy for him being here. Despite everything he has still scored seven goals in 11 league matches, half our total. Yes, 6 have been from free-kicks and penalties, but they all count equally and would we have backed any other player we have to get the same strike rate?

I have no idea where the club might go next. We have two other central strikers on our books - Braedyn Crowley and John Roberts. I still don't think Brandan will play anther match for us, and so I suspect that if McCormack stays it will be an injury replacement for him - which again raises the question why we didn't seek an injury replacement for Brandan in the first place.

Melbourne City's terrible run of injuries took its biggest blow yet after Scottish striker Ross McCormack suffered an expected season-ending knee injury. 

The 31-year-old will undergo scans in the coming days to confirm what is understood to be a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained during Melbourne's 3-1 loss to Sydney FC 

The Scottish international was brought in on loan from Aston Villa late in their preseason as a replacement for injured Bruno Fornaroli but may have played his last game for Melbourne City if the initial diagnosis of a ruptured ACL is confirmed. 

McCormack was substituted in the first half after an innocuous challenge with Sydney FC defender Jordy Buijs around the half-hour mark. While visibly in discomfort, Buijs walked off the field and straight down the tunnel for further treatment. 

City's attacking stocks have been depleted in recent weeks after agreeing to part ways with Australia's all-time greatest goal scorer, Tim Cahill, last week. 

Well that pasted shit.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-set-to-lose-ross-mccormack-for-the-rest-of-the-aleague-season-20171215-h05qjt.html 

I hope its wrong. He seemed to walk off okay - after an ACL? Did land awkwardly granted, but surely he would not have been okay to walk around and also seemed to be in little discomfort sitting on the bench. But, knowing our luck, I would not be surprised!

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

You might change your mind when you see Crowley up front in the Christmas Derby!

I’d like  to wish Ross all the best. Came down here, which some others wouldn’t of, worked hard. Managed to score 7 goals including 3 world class free kicks. Ok we all know he missed a few but all strikers do miss and A League strikers especially.

Spot on. Bruno has spoilt us over the years, but Mcormack has been decent enough to keep us in the competition this season. We would not be 3rd without him

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rass said:

Thank God to doing his knee?

That's fucked man. Total shit thing to say.

Thank God that he'll never play for us again *

Not celebrating the injury, but I'm glad I'll never have to watch him miss another soda in front of goal. It is sad it has ended this way and wish him the best for his recovery. 

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

You might change your mind when you see Crowley up front in the Christmas Derby!

I’d like  to wish Ross all the best. Came down here, which some others wouldn’t of, worked hard. Managed to score 7 goals including 3 world class free kicks. Ok we all know he missed a few but all strikers do miss and A League strikers especially.

True,  but I think it's time to try someone else.  Ross is just no good from open play,  bring on king Crowley!!! 

If true, just shows how silly Timmy was to crack the shits the way he did. A full season is a long time, and he was always guaranteed plenty of playing time with us, even if he wasn’t 1st choice striker or starting midfielder. It’s a bit sad to watch Timmy on Instagram training by himself at a local park.

Think we’ll see Bud or even Mauk playing as striker, hopefully with Arzani in support 

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

If true, just shows how silly Timmy was to crack the shits the way he did. A full season is a long time, and he was always guaranteed plenty of playing time with us, even if he wasn’t 1st choice striker or starting midfielder. It’s a bit sad to watch Timmy on Instagram training by himself at a local park.

Think we’ll see Bud or even Mauk playing as striker, hopefully with Arzani in support 

I was thinking it showed how silly the club was to not deal with Tim in a way that would allow him to still play at the club.

The easy road is to show everyone with a challenging personality the door. football clubs need all sorts though so take the hard road and find a resolution and keep your talent.

Shows Cahill right for having a sook and not giving patience. Hope he doesn't find a club

Interesting to see how Waz will go in the Derby. Even with Ross out we can still beat Victory in their current Form. I don't want the club to rush Bruno back

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I was thinking it showed how silly the club was to not deal with Tim in a way that would allow him to still play at the club.

The easy road is to show everyone with a challenging personality the door. football clubs need all sorts though so take the hard road and find a resolution and keep your talent.

Cahill was so desperate to leave he apparently paid back betweem 500k-1mil of the money we'd paid him, I wouldn't be laying this at the club's feet.

If he wasn't willing to be a positive influence and force his way into the team (or wait until something like this happened) that's his problem.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Embee said:

Cahill was so desperate to leave he apparently paid back betweem 500k-1mil of the money we'd paid him, I wouldn't be laying this at the club's feet.

If he wasn't willing to be a positive influence and force his way into the team (or wait until something like this happened) that's his problem.

Well that’s true and when you’re not on the inside you don’t know what happened.  

Normally in life though mega fallouts have 2 contributing parties. I’m assuming the club has made their own solid contribution to the end result.

We have Budzinski as a marquee player, and two young central strikers on our books - Crowley and Roberts. IMO we should play Budzinski as our no. 9 until Bruno is 100% fit and his ankle is healed as well as it is going to, with Crowley on the bench. Brattan as no. 10, and Arzani and Fitzgerald as our wingers. And make it work as best we can.

We could still get something out of this season, but even if we don't at least try and build some stability and consistency for the second half of the season and beyond.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Well that’s true and when you’re not on the inside you don’t know what happened.  

Normally in life though mega fallouts have 2 contributing parties. I’m assuming the club has made their own solid contribution to the end result.

I understand the point you're making, but the club can't cater it's lineups and tactics to one player, if said player is unwilling to follow the same rules as the rest of the squad and is so desperate he's willing to pay a six figure sum to leave I don't feel like any club has much of a choice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Embee said:

Even if we still had Cahill, chances are Mauk and Budz would be starting up front next week with Cahill on the bench. Regardless of fitness and form, Joyce wouldn't have allowed Cahill to force his way into the team. Joyce reportedly told Cahill at the start of pre season that he doesn't fit the mould of what he wants in a striker and that he wasn't compatible we his style of play.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

If that's true I'm genuinely delighted.  Ross may not be perfect, but there's something about him I like, and he really is due a break.  I was really hopeful he'd turned a corner scoring from open play, and we had a couple of free kicks against Sydney that I swear he would have buried.  He's a player who can make a difference, he's kept us in it this season, and I suspect we might have only begun to see what he could do when fit and with his head in the right place. 

• Like 2

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-citys-ross-mccormack-cleared-of-acl-injury-20171217-h063mh.html

Same basic source but this is pretty definitive. Also the news that Bruno could be another 6 weeks. Don't think we're going to see much of the latter this season.

Edited by jw1739

No doubt Ross hasn’t lived up to expectations as yet but he’s showing glimpses. Just looks a bit rusty & given his lack of football early this year, it’s understandable. 

I heard we are/were pretty close to making his deal permanent, so I assume it’ll all depend on the scans now. 

With him out, I’d play Fitzgerald up front with Arzani on the flank. For the brief spell against Sydney, I thought this is when we looked most threatening.

Bruno better be back soon

McCormack and City will learn on Monday night if the Scottish striker needs knee surgery after he was injured in City's 3-1 loss to Sydney on Friday. If he requires surgery he could be out for up to three months and if he doesn't, then two to four weeks out is a best-case scenario. He was cleared of serious ACL damage on Sunday. 

McCormack is on loan from Aston Villa as injury cover for Bruno Fornaroli who is still at least five weeks from playing

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fernando-brandan-leaves-melbourne-city-to-return-to-argentina-20171218-h06ehn.html

Edited by haz

The former Championship top scorer went Down Under to rejuvenate his career, but it appears the spark he once had still hasn't returned 

Ross McCormack has scored seven goals in 10 games for Melbourne City in Australia, but don't let that fool you - his career is still in need of resuscitation.

It's hard to believe English Championship side Aston Villa signed McCormack for £12 million from Fulham - on the back of three stunning seasons including 28 goals for Leeds in 2013-14.

Now the 31-year-old is playing as a lone striker in the A-League and has so far failed to find the spark he is looking for since making the temporary move Down Under from Villa

Pundits may point to seven strikes from 10 matches as a good return, but you only have to watch McCormack for 90 minutes to see how far away he is from his best.

McCormack has been deadly from set piece situations - scoring six of his seven goals from direct free kicks or penalties - but in open play he has been extremely disappointing.

There is hardly any exciting runs, quality link-up play with teammates, defence-splitting passes or individual brilliance.

You could say he works reasonably hard for the time he is on the pitch, but there is no question he could be in better shape physically, especially after three months of warm Australian weather.

Ross McCormack Melbourne City

McCormack has even been axed for one Melbourne City match for being late to training, according to reports, bringing back memories of the issues he had with commitment at Villa.

The former Rangers man hobbled off the ground with a knee injury during last Friday's match against Sydney FC and after initial suggestions he had torn his anterior cruciate ligament, reports since have confirmed his ligaments are intact.

With an injury layoff expected, we may not see him pull on a Melbourne City shirt again, depending on the severity of the complaint.

Regardless of his fitness, McCormack's future in Australia is clouded - he is an injury replacement player for Bruno Fornaroli and he cannot play under that status once the Uruguayan striker returns to fitness in late January-early February.

City dumped Argentine winger Fernando Brandan on Monday - opening up a foreign visa spot and a potential lifeline for McCormack to extend his stay in Melbourne.

Article continues below

But it's hard to see the club using that position on the Scottish forward when Fornaroli offers so much more in attack and it's doubtful the pair would function well as a duo.

McCormack will likely return to Villa in the new year with his career still in limbo and none of the questions answered about his sudden decline as a player.

Unfortunately it appears as if his time in the game is fizzling out and he soon will be featuring in England's lower leagues until retirement.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/ross-mccormacks-career-still-on-life-support-despite-goals/pafkrwjh2cqt1ni0slvzivje5

Whack

Edited by Dylan

Harsh but pretty close to the truth.

Hopefully he can prove everyone wrong and team up with Bruno and live up to the expectations.

Major issue though is how can you play 2 central strikers in the one team. Only logical way is the flat 442.

Interestingly enough it's had a bit of a resurgence in La Liga this season in some of the mid table sides and looking at our list we have the types of players that fit. Maybe a wide midfielder(winger type) would change everything.

Not sure but it doesn't look good for us if were hoping Ross comes good as opposed to knowing it. 

Edited by Jovan